PDA

View Full Version : The Lighter Side of Roy

tlongII
09-16-2009, 10:52 PM
http://mikebarrettsblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/lighter-side-of-roy.html

It's never a surprise to see Brandon Roy stroll into the Trail Blazers' practice facility well ahead of the start of training camp. It's also always very safe to predict that he'll be in a solid position, in terms of his physical condition.

What is a little different this September is Brandon's physical appearance. It's not just the new hairstyle, which is a cross between a faux hawk and a high and tight, it's that Roy looks noticeably slimmer. Is it just the haircut? Is that why even his face looks more chiseled?

"Nah, I've dropped some pounds," Roy laughs, and admits many people have noticed the new look. "The odd thing is, I didn't play much basketball during the summer months. In fact, it's pretty safe to say I hardly touched a ball."

So, what was the key, and why the change? After all, Roy had never been someone who was considered to be too heavy.

"After taking a little time off after the season ended, I just started swimming, like every single day. And, I really got into bike riding. After doing this for a while I stepped on the scale and I was at about 203 pounds. I played last season at about 216. I was like 'whoa,' and figured that was enough."

Roy claims the weight loss, for the most part, was unintentional, but that he did have a desire to come into camp lighter than he had been in the past. He hired a chef and got dedicated to eating healthier. That, combined with the workouts, made it easy to hit this new shape.

"I got to 205 so quickly, and then decided that was about time to head back the other way a bit. But, even now, I'm only at about 206. That's where I want to stay.

"Last season I came to camp at about 215, and that was intentional. I thought being a little bigger and bulkier would be better for me. But, I didn't like the way it felt. I feel so great physically right now, and I'm in great shape. I feel a little quicker, and I'm definitely lighter on my feet. I can feel it at the end of the day."

Roy has also found another way to get a little lighter on his feet- new footwear. Obviously, shoes are so vital to an NBA player's comfort and success. Brandon is a Nike guy, and last year searched to find the perfect shoe. He switched shoes a couple of times during the season and now has found the ideal wheels heading into this season.

The new Air Max Rise, is "it" for Brandon, he says. Thanks to many meetings with the basketball guys at Nike, and through work in the Sport Research Lab at Nike in Beaverton, they've hit on a winner.

"Lightweight is the new currency in basketball shoes," says Dan DeHaven, who's among those who have assisted Brandon in finding the right shoe. "Speed kills, and that's where Brandon's head is at right now. Take weight out of the product, and that's less weight to move around."

DeHaven says Roy's new shoe, which is a custom design of a shoe anyone can get off the shelf, is about 3 ounces lighter, per shoe, than what he was in last season.

"It's all about efficiency, and players will go in and out of shoes searching for the right weight and right stability," says DeHaven. "We've really concentrated on lightweight containment for him. Get the weight out of Brandon's shoe, and still make it extremely stable. Lateral movement, of course, is a huge part of his game, and the less the foot slides around in the shoe, the better.

"When he switched shoes last season we all learned from it," continues DeHaven. "Now, I can nail Brandon's fit. I know what works with his feet. Through constant communication we've tried to get him exactly what he's looking for. It's been a joy, because he's so great to work with."

Roy couldn't be happier with the work Nike has done for him, in searching for ways to hit on his theme of the off season- lighter is better.

"The new, lighter shoes have been a perfect compliment to what I've tried to achieve heading into this season," says Roy. "I told them I was getting lighter, and wanted something that would help me get there. A few ounces doesn't sound like a lot, but I can tell the difference."

So, coming off another all-star season, and his first trip to the playoffs, Roy has never felt more comfortable heading into an NBA training camp. New contract, new house, new chef, new shoes, new weight, and a couple of new teammates. But, as he says, "same old crossover."

That's the best news.

JustBlaze
09-17-2009, 12:09 AM
MMmmm

JordanL
09-17-2009, 10:23 AM
The weight loss comes from all the sleepless night of knowing he has to face Kobe.

In both of our last two matches Roy outperformed Kobe in nearly every measurable way, and the difference got much more pronounced when they started guarding each other...

Every single loss in LA to the Lakers in the last two years we've been playing without Roy except the season opener last year where Oden got injured by Bynum.

But why am I using logic with you...

Culburn369
09-17-2009, 10:31 AM
But why am I using logic with you...

Cuz you mask it with excuses, cryin' & whinin'.

+ hey, you got that ring from '77. As if you'd a fergotten that.

eh?

JordanL
09-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Cuz you mask it with excuses, cryin' & whinin'.

+ hey, you got that ring from '77. As if you'd a fergotten that.

eh?

:wakeup

Can anyone translate this for me?

JordanL
09-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Your team sucks so much ass that you haven't even come close to winning a title since 1977.

:lmao

Typical Laker fan... I suppose you were still sucking your mothers tits in the 90s, weren't you.

JordanL
09-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Chances are was I sucking the tits of your daughter. Both at the same time, cause I'm freaky like that.

That's not really insulting, just creepy...

lil_penny
09-17-2009, 12:06 PM
:lmao

Typical Laker fan... I suppose you were still sucking your mothers tits in the 90s, weren't you.

Most lakers fans thought basketball ended between 89 and 2000.. at least competively it did for them, but the other teams played on... paris hilton like fans were very confused during this era.

sonic21
09-17-2009, 12:08 PM
some became bulls fans between 91 and 98 though

lil_penny
09-17-2009, 12:22 PM
You sure about that? We were competing for a title in 91, and 2000-2002 we owned.

Most lakers fans didn't know that... that's why I like you LL, your a rare breed. You guys did wipe the blazers off in 91, as we did to you guys the following year.. we both came away empty handed though

Culburn369
09-17-2009, 12:37 PM
& I thought everything was going to be alright after Perkins hit that 3. Then the roof caved in.

lil_penny
09-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Jordan came out strong in game 1 right out the gates.. nobody was stoppin him after that for years to come, and I still remember the pain in my fathers eyes when jordan ripped our hearts out the following year lol