PDA

View Full Version : "Garbage" thanks Tim Duncan and Spurs?

mrose31
04-12-2005, 03:14 PM
I heard from a friend that Garbage thanks Tim Duncan and the Spurs on their new Cd. :music Anyone know why she would do this? Is she just a fan or did he promote them. Just curious feel free to come up with stories but would like to know truth. :wtf

Spurminator
04-12-2005, 03:18 PM
He appears in their video for their first single, "Off the Glass." While it sounds like a good fit, the song is actually about Shirley Manson's raging cocaine addiction.

Okay, I just made that up.

MadDog73
04-12-2005, 03:23 PM
He appears in their video for their first single, "Off the Glass." While it sounds like a good fit, the song is actually about Shirley Manson's raging cocaine addiction.

:lol

Actually, I think I remember Shirley Manson wearing Tim's jersey in "The World is Not Enough" :angel

EasilyAmused
04-12-2005, 03:42 PM

ROTFLMAO!!!

MannyIsGod
04-12-2005, 03:53 PM
:lmao

Nice!

King
04-12-2005, 04:24 PM
She was staying downtown for a few days two months ago, so there's some tie to San Antonio. Not sure what it is, though. There wasn't a concert.

Mr. Body
04-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Just FYI, Garbage is a bunch of gear-head studio veterans who decided to put together a band, and recruited Scottish singer Shirley Manson. Butch Vig and the other guys had produced albums, individually, for bands like Nirvana.

I believe they're from the Minnesota area. The connection isn't obvious to me.

jalbre6
04-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Just FYI, Garbage is a bunch of gear-head studio veterans who decided to put together a band, and recruited Scottish singer Shirley Manson. Butch Vig and the other guys had produced albums, individually, for bands like Nirvana.

I believe they're from the Minnesota area. The connection isn't obvious to me.

GF says Wisconsin. Isn't the trainer from there?

Lakafan23
04-12-2005, 05:08 PM
I heard from a friend that Garbage thanks Tim Duncan and the Spurs on their new Cd. :music Anyone know why she would do this? Is she just a fan or did he promote them. Just curious feel free to come up with stories but would like to know truth. :wtf

what song?

ZStomp
04-12-2005, 05:10 PM
Who and/or what is "Garbage?"

bigbendbruisebrother
04-12-2005, 05:14 PM
It's a band. http://www.garbage.com/

There's a free .mp3 of their new single there.

Edit: it's actually an Apple I-tunes file.

Shelly
04-12-2005, 05:24 PM
IMO, Garbage peaked with their first album. The follow up albums have never lived up to that one.

G-Nob
04-12-2005, 05:41 PM
A mavs fan said they helped them name their band.

Ishta
04-12-2005, 05:48 PM
A mavs fan said they helped them name their band.

ROFLMAO:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

mrose31
04-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Not part of song it is just on the inside booklet or whatever to the cover and it mentions this as well as others i assume that they wanted thank.

exstatic
04-12-2005, 06:41 PM
AHF would say that they are thanking Tim for being the focal point of the offense that they named the band after. ;)

surrealboy
04-12-2005, 08:03 PM
howdy. finally decided to stop lurking and join the party.

shirley manson, the lead singer for garbage, is a huge nba fan and she has a huge crush on tim. on the band's website she keeps a diary of things going in her life during tours and the recording process.

for the `04 all star game, she described being at the game and having a fantasy of tim making the big shot in the game and then making a gesture towards her to express his affection. she describe tim as a steaming hunkpappa of manhood, or something like that. not sure if she knows tim is married though....

cheers

Dre_7
04-12-2005, 08:31 PM
They are from Wisconsin.

Duff McCartney
04-13-2005, 01:37 AM
Since I didn't know there was already a thread made for this....I made a new one recently...so I guess I'll post what I started the thread about here...

I was reading my Blender magazine and on the last page they have an article called "Who Does Shirley Manson(the lead singer of the band Garbage) Think She Is?"

Anywho I was reading it and they asked her this little question and this was her response....

Blender : What's your favorite legal drug?

Shirley Manson: The San Antonio Spurs. About four years ago I spotted Tim Duncan taking some free throws, and I became an insane basketball freak. I have NBA League Pass on my TiVo, and I spend revolting amounts of money on tickets. But I never want to meet Tim Duncan; I just want to idolize him from afar.

Crazy....I guess I like her a little bit more now that I know she's a huge Spurs fan.

Mr. Body
04-13-2005, 02:21 AM
Gee, watching Tim shoot free throws is what sold her? She likes to live dangerous.

Mr. Body
04-13-2005, 03:07 AM
S. Manson was a cutter. And not a "Breaking Away" kind of cutter. That's not surprising. Far too many girls are like that.

MannyIsGod
04-13-2005, 03:14 AM
IMO, Garbage peaked with their first album. The follow up albums have never lived up to that one.
I loved the first effort, but Version 2.0 was insane! That's one of my all time favorite albums.

ZStomp
04-13-2005, 03:24 AM
I'll pass. :)

jalbre6
04-13-2005, 03:34 AM
tim duncan may have to put a restraining order out on this one:

Shirley Manson
- Vocalist for the band Garbage. She has a low self-esteem and hates the way she looks. In a 1998 interview she said, "I feel disgusting. I could take a knife to my throat for the way I look. Can someone just put a bin or a bag or a fucking bomb on my head?" As a teenager her feelings of weakness and of being overwhelmed were manifested in cutting, she would snip the safety guards off Bic razors and would cut up her arms. She used to carry a sharp object in the laces of her boots and would cut herself with it whenever she felt stressed. :spin

stupid girl ;)

I think she's incredibly good-looking. Anyone else in agreement?
http://users1.ee.net/shaybron/Shirley107.jpg
http://fan-sites.org/shirley-manson/s039.jpg
http://www.bartcop.com/manson91z.jpg
http://www.esquire.com/women/gallery/img/000601_mww_manson01_g.jpg

Drachen
04-13-2005, 04:07 AM
I think she is like Drew Berrymore, hit or miss. She can look real good, or bad. She does have those oprah-like fish eyes though.

Gerryatrics
04-13-2005, 04:36 AM
Shirley Manson = Courtney Love, she might be hot if she wasn't friggin' nuts. And how the hell does watching Tim Duncan shoot freethrows get you hooked on the NBA? If that gets her excited she must really get off on watching Shaq just hurl the ball in the general direction of the basket when he's at the line.

Shelly
04-13-2005, 07:57 AM
I loved the first effort, but Version 2.0 was insane! That's one of my all time favorite albums.

Ugh...I thought it was awful. Maybe one or two songs. I remember when the first album came out, I told my husband that they would never top that one.

I did like the song they did for the Romeo + Juliet soundtrack.

Summers
04-13-2005, 08:38 AM
Shirley Manson = Courtney Love, she might be hot if she wasn't friggin' nuts. And how the hell does watching Tim Duncan shoot freethrows get you hooked on the NBA? If that gets her excited she must really get off on watching Shaq just hurl the ball in the general direction of the basket when he's at the line.

That's what I was thinking. There are lots of reasons to think Timmy's hot, but his free-throw shooting isn't one of them. :lol Especially the pigeon-toed thing. It's not sexy on a 7-foot-tall man.

Oh, who am I kidding? I think it's sexy as hell! :lol

T Park
04-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Shirley Manson is hot, and she has the coolest voice in Rock no question.

I remember being younger and Zombie being an absolute HUGE hit.

There was good stuff after there first album though, it just didnt get legit run.

MadDog73
04-13-2005, 10:01 AM
That would make more sense...

MannyIsGod
04-13-2005, 10:06 AM
Shirley Manson = Courtney Love, she might be hot if she wasn't friggin' nuts. And how the hell does watching Tim Duncan shoot freethrows get you hooked on the NBA? If that gets her excited she must really get off on watching Shaq just hurl the ball in the general direction of the basket when he's at the line. Don't you eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever compare anyone as awesome as Shirley Manson to Courtney "I'm a murderin' drug usin' non parental skill havin' sack of mother fuckin' shit" Love. That's just wrong.

Shirley Manson might be a little off the rocker, but not in the same way as that groupie gone famous Love. Not that I have an opinion about the woman that murdered Kurt though. No, not at all.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smipctoss.gif

Ugh...I thought it was awful. Maybe one or two songs. I remember when the first album came out, I told my husband that they would never top that one.

I did like the song they did for the Romeo + Juliet soundtrack. I can't remember the name of that song, but it is good. I though their best song ever was off of their first album, As Heaven Is Wide. It's actually on the orgional Gran Tourismo as well. It's such an awesome song.

Shirley Manson is hot, and she has the coolest voice in Rock no question.

I remember being younger and Zombie being an absolute HUGE hit.

There was good stuff after there first album though, it just didnt get legit run. Zombie was done by the Cranberries, not Garbage. Garbage's first hit was Stupid Girl then I Think I'm Paranoid, Special, and Push It. They may have had another single here or there, but those are their hits. They actually got way more run on their second album because it had so many more singles.

T Park
04-13-2005, 10:09 AM
Zombie was done by the Cranberries

sorry, only tellin ya what my Sirius radio reciever told me it said, I remember this only because I was testing the radio out yesterday for my business, and this song came up on the 90's hits channel. so someone at Sirius is a bozo like me.

ZOMBIE
Garbage

So I apologize, it was my radio's fault lol

I Think I'm Paranoid

That I remember being sung by them, and that song WAS bad ass.

T Park
04-13-2005, 10:11 AM
damn, first time Ive seen Shirley in those pictures in a long time.

She is hotter than I remember from the mid 90s.

MannyIsGod
04-13-2005, 10:11 AM
your sure it wasn't this scottish soccer team that she's a fan of?
http://www.spurs.co.uk/index.asp

Blender : What's your favorite legal drug?

Shirley Manson: The San Antonio Spurs. About four years ago I spotted Tim Duncan taking some free throws, and I became an insane basketball freak. I have NBA League Pass on my TiVo, and I spend revolting amounts of money on tickets. But I never want to meet Tim Duncan; I just want to idolize him from afar.

Yeah, pretty sure. She's American, not Scottish.

Uncle Donnie
04-13-2005, 10:24 AM

From what I've read this album is more like their first. I haven't heard it yet though.

That's cool that she's a Spurs fan, however fucked up her reasons for being one are. :devil

T Park
04-13-2005, 10:25 AM
she oughtta come to some games.

Wear like an all blood red spurs shirt or something.

Maybe a

Satan + Spurs = Championship

or some fucked up shirt.

jk lol........

Mr. Body
04-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Yeah, pretty sure. She's American, not Scottish.

Nope, she's Scottish. If it ain't Scottish, it's crap!!

Spurminator
04-13-2005, 11:01 AM
First hit of theirs I remember was "I'm Only Happy When it Rains"

davi78239
04-13-2005, 11:05 AM
I think she's incredibly good-looking. Anyone else in agreement?
http://users1.ee.net/shaybron/Shirley107.jpg
http://fan-sites.org/shirley-manson/s039.jpg
http://www.bartcop.com/manson91z.jpg
http://www.esquire.com/women/gallery/img/000601_mww_manson01_g.jpg

Wow! She isn't bad looking.

timvp
04-13-2005, 11:10 AM
So she likes cutting herself and watching Tim Duncan shoot free throws? I'm not sure which one is more sadistic.

PimpScourge
04-13-2005, 11:16 AM
She oughtta come and post on these boards...

bigbendbruisebrother
04-13-2005, 11:32 AM
They also did a cool Vic Chestnutt cover on Sweet Relief II called "Kick My Ass".

Shelly
04-13-2005, 11:43 AM
From what I've read this album is more like their first. I haven't heard it yet though.

That's cool that she's a Spurs fan, however fucked up her reasons for being one are. :devil

Shirley is Scottish.

My husband says it's okay..not that great.

exstatic
04-13-2005, 11:46 AM
:lol@timvp

G-Nob
04-13-2005, 12:02 PM
Yeah, but she doesn't have drew barrymore slant-mouth

MadDog73
04-13-2005, 12:10 PM

I've only heard the first album. "Queer" and "Super Vixon" are also great songs.

The song from Romeo and Juliet (great soundtrack) was "#1 Crush"

What's the name of their new album?

Never mind: Bleed Like Me

http://www.garbage.com/

davi78239
04-13-2005, 12:44 PM
What do you all think of her new single "Why do you love me"? Do they even play it on any of the radio stations here in town?

MannyIsGod
04-13-2005, 01:00 PM
becasue radio here is horrible. Actualy, KSYM will probably play it once or twice eventualy.

davi78239
04-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Yea, radio here is horrible. I like her new song, but I think "Special" was one of her best ones.

Ishta
04-13-2005, 01:42 PM
A verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long time ago radio wasn't so bad here. I really like Garbage and the fact that she is a Spurs fan is nice. More and more famous people are saying they are Spurs fans... They have seen the LIGHT:lmao

MadDog73
04-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Should we all go out and buy the new Garbage album to support the Spurs?

Is there any "Spurs Theme Song" (or a song that could be made into one?) on the Album?

timvp
04-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Here is the track listing and what the songs are about:

1. Bad Boyfriend -- The Glenn Robinson story is told.
2. Run Baby Run -- A song dedicated to Devin Brown.
3. Right Between The Eyes -- This is a song featuring Kevin Harlan.
4. Why Do You Love Me -- This is a song by Rasho as he sings about Pop and T Park.
5. Bleed Like Me -- This is about cutting Mouse open to see if he really does bleed black and silver.
6. Metal Heart -- Dedicated to the heart and soul of the 1999 championship team -- Avery Johnson
7. Sex Is Not The Enemy -- This is a song about Willie Anderson and how a few well-timed condoms could have done the trick.
8. It's All Over But The Crying -- A look back at the 2003 Lakers
9. Boys Wanna Fight -- Tony Massenburg featuring Mark Bryant, Kevin Willis, Will Perdue and Jerome Kersey
10. Why Don't You Come Over -- A song about Tim Duncan wooing Jason Kidd and Karl Malone.
11. Happy Home -- Explaining how the Spurs have the best home record in franchise history.

:smokin

T Park
04-13-2005, 02:44 PM
4. Why Do You Love Me -- This is a song by Rasho as he sings about Pop and T Park

ha ha ha ha :rolleyes

Duff McCartney
04-13-2005, 03:00 PM
6. Metal Heart -- Dedicated to the heart and soul of the 1999 championship team -- Avery Johnson

Looks like Shirley Manson is as deluded as some of the posters on this board. Maybe she does post here.

T Park
04-13-2005, 03:03 PM
duff you cant be that stupid.

Duff McCartney
04-13-2005, 04:05 PM
duff you cant be that stupid.

I'm not..I just like to make you feel like you're that smart.

T Park
04-13-2005, 05:14 PM
You are,

BECAUSE THATS NOT WHAT THE SONGS ABOUT.

BTW,

gotten a job yet to pay back that money??

Or will Jim have to get the FBI on ya.

OmEgA
04-13-2005, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=Shelly]Ugh...I thought it was awful. Maybe one or two songs. I remember when the first album came out, I told my husband that they would never top that one.QUOTE]

Strongly agree :elephant

That Album is definitely one of my favorite by a female artist... dark, melancholic, sad, upbeat,.... every song on that cd rocks :spin

:drunk AA :drunk

Neonmoon83
04-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Manson admits to a crush on basetball star Duncan
Scottish rocker SHIRLEY MANSON has discovered she has one thing in common with DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES sexpot EVA LONGORIA - both worship basketball stars who suit up for the SAN ANTONIO SPURS.

Longoria regularly attends Spurs games and has been rumoured to be dating star player TONY PARKER, while GARBAGE singer Manson is besotted with his lanky teammate TIM DUNCAN.

She tells BLENDER magazine, "About four years ago I spotted Tim Duncan taking some free throws, and I became an insane basketball freak.

"I spend revolting amounts of money on tickets. But I never want to meet Tim Duncan; I just want to idolise him from afar."

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/manson%20admits%20to%20a%20crush%20on%20basketball %20star%20duncan

Rummpd
04-18-2005, 11:54 AM
My God the Spurs are becoming "non-boring".

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 12:14 PM
Yep, other team fans hate us and celebrities love us...

What did we do wrong? :D

PS: Great stuff, TiMVP

Cant_Be_Faded
04-18-2005, 12:32 PM

yeah i like version 2.0 as well, she's so depressed in a couple of the songs on that album.

i dont know how to do multiple quotes, but that one post by timvp saying how she likes to cut herself and likes watching duncan shoot free throws.....

hilarious

:lol

Dre_7
04-18-2005, 03:02 PM
9. Boys Wanna Fight -- Tony Massenburg featuring Mark Bryant, Kevin Willis, Will Perdue and Jerome Kersey

What about Danny Ferry?

EasilyAmused
04-18-2005, 03:18 PM
So she likes cutting herself and watching Tim Duncan shoot free throws? I'm not sure which one is more sadistic.

Here is the track listing and what the songs are about:
1. Bad Boyfriend -- The Glenn Robinson story is told.
2. Run Baby Run -- A song dedicated to Devin Brown.
3. Right Between The Eyes -- This is a song featuring Kevin Harlan.
4. Why Do You Love Me -- This is a song by Rasho as he sings about Pop and T Park.
5. Bleed Like Me -- This is about cutting Mouse open to see if he really does bleed black and silver.
7. Sex Is Not The Enemy -- This is a song about Willie Anderson and how a few well-timed condoms could have done the trick.
8. It's All Over But The Crying -- A look back at the 2003 Lakers
10. Why Don't You Come Over -- A song about Tim Duncan wooing Jason Kidd and Karl Malone.
11. Happy Home -- Explaining how the Spurs have the best home record in franchise history.
:lmao
timpv are you a comedian? Thanks for the laugh!