PDA

View Full Version : Georgia @ Arkansas

Brutalis
09-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Well I can name about 4 people who will post here for sure not to mention this game actually means something other than some of you posting your cupcake games.

6:45 Central Saturday night on ESPN. Now I wish I got tickets and saw Erin Andrews. Whatever.

Line is Arkansas -1

I say there's really no line and this game is huge for both teams.

My thoughts: Carolina scoring 30 offensive points on Georgia's defense had me convinced Arkansas will hang 40 on them with our offense. But now that their best pass rusher is back from injury maybe that won't happen. Offensively for UGA their top back has returned from injury and will play as well. Who gets the bulk of the carries is a mystery still but I imagine him, and a lot of run plays as well. Arkansas' young defense has to at least control Georgia, because they will not stop them. Our offense has to just play their game plan and it's a done deal every time we touch the ball. BP only executed at most half of the scheme against Missouri State in week one.

So I have to change my prediction: Arkansas 35 Georgia 27

Brutalis
09-17-2009, 04:06 PM
ps. Georgia fans are worried. Every one that calls in and talks on the radio is pretty cool visiting fans but they are worrying more than some Hog fans are. And in many ways this game is bigger for UGA than UA.

romad_20
09-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Worried isn't the right word. More like "Eh, it could go either way". I hope we go 8-4 or 9-3 this year, so losing is just something we fans should expect this year. Not being that strong at QB will do that. The bad part is we have the best receiver ever to suit up for UGA and 3 waiting in the wings that will be outstanding as well. All 6'4" or over. Sad to waste a year with them. I hope they prove me wrong.

This should be a big test for the Hogs to see where they really are. Their defense is going to have to come up big because I do think Caleb King coming back will help the UGA offense, that is if we stick to the run. We could also just chunk the ball on first down all day and get in 3rd and long. I think the UGA fan base and booster could put some heat on Richt to do something about his assistants if they lose, especially if they have more mistakes on special teams and give up a ton of points.

We did get our top pass rusher back, Houston, but we also lost our other one, Battle, for the year, so its a wash. I'm curious to see what that D-bag's offense will do this year after one year in the league (I’m a Falcon fan, too and don't care for Petrino what so ever)

I'll be optimistic and say UGA-28 Ark 17, but hell it could be 52-45 or something like that if we play that soft zone all day long.

romad_20
09-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Little blurb from AJC.com

One of the most common laments heard in Sanford Stadium last week was how much of a cushion Georgia’s defenders were giving South Carolina’s receivers and how open the middle of the Dogs’ zone defense was all night. It was particularly bad on some third-down plays when the Georgia defenders seemed willing to give up a first down just to prevent the long ball.

Well, at least the fans weren’t the only ones noticing how soft Willie Martinez’s zone was as Georgia yielded 313 yards in the air to Carolina. Martinez’s boss did, too. And Mark Richt says change is in order, Georgiadogs.com reports.

“It doesn’t matter if you play zone or man, there was too much space and not enough resistance,” Richt said of the Dogs’ defense against the Gamecocks. “We’ve got to squeeze the quarterback in the pocket and the receivers, too. Offensive football is about getting that space out there for the receivers and Coach [Steve] Spurrier is good at that and [Arkansas] Coach [Bobby] Petrino has proven that, too.”

Arkansas leads the SEC and is ranked second nationally in passing offense (447 yards per game), and they are second in the league and third nationally in total offense (591 yards per game). Although that’s based on one game against a weak Missouri State, Hogs QB Ryan Mallett has one of the stronger arms in college football. The Dogs could be in trouble Saturday if they play as far off Mallett’s receivers, particularly tight end D.J. Williams, as they did against South Carolina’s.

Let’s hope Richt’s words translate into action by Martinez.

Brutalis
09-18-2009, 06:13 PM
24 hours away... seems like forever for Arkansas ..

Texas Chili Dog
09-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Go Georkansas. :)

symple19
09-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Let the fireworks begin...7-7

symple19
09-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Ummm, defense? 14-7 Ark

Wish the gully washer would end so the Auburn game can start...

symple19
09-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Nice hit-fumble. If UGA can start hitting Mallet regularly it may rattle him and throw off his timing. Ark better be able to run the ball at least some to keep the Dawgs honest

Texas Chili Dog
09-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Checking in at the half. :clap

Brutalis
09-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Isn't looking good. Two quarters were two different stories.

symple19
09-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Wow --- Mallet is real good. This game looks even more exhausting than the Auburn game.

symple19
09-19-2009, 09:38 PM
What happened to defense in the SEC? Auburn isn't playing much either...

Brutalis
09-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Unbelievable. You cannot put that much pressure on Mallett and the offense.

The defense lost the game and made Cox look like a heisman candidate.

52 at home, what will Bama do against our defense in their house? Unreal.

Mallett is the real deal and the best QB Georgia has seen thus far. Thank Robinson and the Hogs defense for losing this game.

Props to Georgia for doing what they are supposed to do.

Texas Chili Dog
09-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Good win for UGA although the defense scares me. I know Mallett was gonna be good, I saw him play in high school. Now that this game is over...go Hogs!!! :clap