PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Shooting Guards All-Time

Biggems
09-18-2009, 01:46 AM
Now we have to make sure to include just SG and not PG or SF. I honestly don't know who the top 10 are. I am asking you guys to weigh in. I am curious to how you all see it. I do have a top 4, but after that, I am not sure......

1. Michael Jordan
2. Jerry West
3. Kobe Bryant
4. George Gervin

After this, I know some other guys deserve to be in the top 10.....Clyde Drexler, Reggie Miller, Pete Maravich, Dave Bing

Now guys like Ro Blackman, Alex English, Bernard King, John Havlicek, David Thompson.....I am not sure if they were SG or SF.

MiamiHeat
09-18-2009, 02:27 AM
1. Michael Jordan
2. Jerry West
3. John Havlicek
4. George Gervin
5. Kobe Bryant

Culburn369
09-18-2009, 05:56 AM
1. Michael Jordan
2. Jerry West
3. John Havlicek
4. George Gervin
5. Kobe Bryant

MH, gettin' his douche bag on.

sonic21
09-18-2009, 06:16 AM
1. Michael Jordan
2. Jerry West
3. John Havlicek
4. George Gervin
5. Kobe Bryant

havlicek was a SF.

Culburn369
09-18-2009, 06:26 AM
havlicek was a SF.

MH was desperate. Have mercy.

carrao45
09-18-2009, 08:28 AM
1. Michael Jordan
2. Jerry West
3. John Havlicek
4. George Gervin
5. Kobe Bryant

Lol George Gervin and Havlicek being better than kobe. Oh and lol Jerry West being better than Kobe

Allanon
09-18-2009, 08:48 AM
MJ
KOBE
PISTOL PETE

Yup.

Dex
09-18-2009, 09:13 AM
If people are going to start throwing names like TMac out there, then you have to consider Ginobili. He's definitely been hampered by injuries late in his career, but if you go by accomplishments, he rivals anybody on this list (especially considering his international career). Three NBA championships in seven years, plus an Olympic Gold (more stunning due to upset of US), Italian League MVP, and Euroleague Finals MVP.

When he's healthy and on the court, he is probably as effective as any other guard in the league sans Bryant, and he's nipping at his heels.

I don't think hes near the top of a Top 10 list, but I think he could deservedly nab one of the last spots.

in2deep
09-18-2009, 09:16 AM
MJ

the rest are too far back to even bother mention

spursncowboys
09-18-2009, 09:24 AM
I thought pistol pete was pg.

JMarkJohns
09-18-2009, 09:28 AM
I thought pistol pete was pg.

He was a showman. Took the shot, made the pass, whatever made him look the best at that moment.

Culburn369
09-18-2009, 09:36 AM
MJ

the rest are too far back to even bother mention

Kobe is only 2 back and he got to 4 younger than MJ.

in2deep
09-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Kobe is only 2 back and he got to 4 younger than MJ.

he got 3 thanks to Shaq daddy.

nice try...

Culburn369
09-18-2009, 09:42 AM
he got 3 thanks to Shaq daddy.

nice try...

& then he got that 1 without Daddy. tee, hee.

Nonetheless the total is 4 and he's younger than Jordan when MJ got his 4th. Its within the realm of possibility he'll surpass MJ. The additional key being if he does indeed surpass Jordan we'll have in all probability passed the Celtics. I think I'd give up douche bag for such an eventuality, in2. I'd be like stoked. I could actually enter my house justified if that were to come to fruition.

sonic21
09-18-2009, 09:43 AM
MJ vs kobe thread

Chieflion
09-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Jerry West was a PG, not a SG. In that era, they called him a guard anyway but people consider him a PG.

1. Michael Jordan (No point spinning it the other way.)
2. Kobe Bryant (Hey, he is that good, well no one else could match his longevity in basketball as a SG.)
3. Allen Iverson (1st SG MVP since Michael Jordan, led the 76ers to the finals with only him as the offense.)
4. George Gervin (Super scorer and homer vote)
5. Dwyane Wade (Rounds up my top 5 for his 2006 Finals MVP and arguably greatest Finals series debut and performance of all time after being down 0-2.)
6. Clyde Drexler (Lets just say he was overshadowed by a certain SG his entire career.)
7. Joe Dumars (Is the top 10 SG list this thin? Well, he was 1989 Finals MVP after all.)
8. Reggie Miller (8 points in 8 seconds, 1st master of the 3 point shot. Incredibly clutch, too bad he didn't win one.
9. Tracy McGrady (Shit, what is going on? Well, T-Mac was phenomenal when he was putting up 32 points a game. The youngest to put up such numbers in the NBA. His prime puts him at 5. His considerable decline and lack of win drops him down to 9 though.)
10. Vince Carter (We have Mr Dunk the Ball highlight reel Vince Carter who could destroy you on any given night. Too bad he was just too lazy to do so.)

Honorable mention: Ray Allen

Well, I am not that familiar with the NBA before the 3 point line much, so here is my list.

Culburn369
09-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Gervin is too territorial to be considered in these type considerations.

Manu is too compromised to be considered in these type considerations.

Maravich is too scattered to be considered in these type considerations.

It's basically:

1. Jordan
2. Bryant
3. Kit & kaboodle

JamStone
09-18-2009, 09:51 AM
18 posts and only one passing mention of Black Jesus...

MiamiHeat
09-18-2009, 09:54 AM
havlicek was a SF.

Havlicek played SG also.

Chieflion
09-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Where do you think he stands then? I would say he is pretty much 11 until he kicks Miller off the 3 pointers made top list.

JamStone
09-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Earl Monroe doesn't play anymore to kick Reggie off the 3 pointers made list.

I'd put Earl Monroe anywhere in the range of 4-7.

nkdlunch
09-18-2009, 09:57 AM

Amare is a Center I beleive

sonic21
09-18-2009, 09:59 AM

The ultimate playground player. Amazing ballhandler.

Chieflion
09-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Earl Monroe doesn't play anymore to kick Reggie off the 3 pointers made list.

I'd put Earl Monroe anywhere in the range of 4-7.
I think he played with Frazier on the Knicks, right? Sorry, my bad.

JamStone
09-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Yea, Frazier ran point for those Knicks teams. Pearl played off the ball.

dirk4mvp
09-18-2009, 10:20 AM
If people are going to start throwing names like TMac out there, then you have to consider Ginobili. He's definitely been hampered by injuries late in his career, but if you go by accomplishments, he rivals anybody on this list (especially considering his international career). Three NBA championships in seven years, plus an Olympic Gold (more stunning due to upset of US), Italian League MVP, and Euroleague Finals MVP.

When he's healthy and on the court, he is probably as effective as any other guard in the league sans Bryant, and he's nipping at his heels.

I don't think hes near the top of a Top 10 list, but I think he could deservedly nab one of the last spots.

T-Mac is a much better player than ginobili.

Culburn369
09-18-2009, 10:32 AM

Yer out of yer f'in mind.

hater
09-18-2009, 10:35 AM

when he's 100% healthy which is .5% of the time

Dex
09-18-2009, 10:35 AM

Statistically speaking, yes. But talk to me when T-Mac channels all that talent into being able to get out of the first round (Riding the bench doesn't count).

Hypothetical: You're on the blacktop picking teams for basketball. Would you rather have the guy who has more talent, or the guy who always wins ball games?

Subjectivity is going to make this list impossible. Are we going primarily on stats, or accomplishments, or what?

(I will admit, however, that TMac has never quite had a Parker and Duncan at his side)

Culburn369
09-18-2009, 11:02 AM
lol....One must admit that me playing the looney tunes has sobered this Forum up considerably.

tee, hee.

tlongII
09-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Now we have to make sure to include just SG and not PG or SF. I honestly don't know who the top 10 are. I am asking you guys to weigh in. I am curious to how you all see it. I do have a top 4, but after that, I am not sure......

1. Michael Jordan
2. Jerry West
3. Kobe Bryant
4. George Gervin

After this, I know some other guys deserve to be in the top 10.....Clyde Drexler, Reggie Miller, Pete Maravich, Dave Bing

Now guys like Ro Blackman, Alex English, Bernard King, John Havlicek, David Thompson.....I am not sure if they were SG or SF.

I would put Brandon Roy at #3. Just ahead of Kobe.

Chieflion
09-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Please just stop.

Culburn369
09-18-2009, 11:09 AM

tee, hee.

manufan10
09-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Jerry West was a PG, not a SG. In that era, they called him a guard anyway but people consider him a PG.

2. Kobe Bryant (Hey, he is that good, well no one else could match his longevity in basketball as a SG.)
3. Allen Iverson (1st SG MVP since Michael Jordan, led the 76ers to the finals with only him as the offense.)
5. Dwyane Wade (Rounds up my top 5 for his 2006 Finals MVP and arguably greatest Finals series debut and performance of all time after being down 0-2.)
6. Clyde Drexler (Lets just say he was overshadowed by a certain SG his entire career.)
7. Joe Dumars (Is the top 10 SG list this thin? Well, he was 1989 Finals MVP after all.)
8. Reggie Miller (8 points in 8 seconds, 1st master of the 3 point shot. Incredibly clutch, too bad he didn't win one.
9. Tracy McGrady (Shit, what is going on? Well, T-Mac was phenomenal when he was putting up 32 points a game. The youngest to put up such numbers in the NBA. His prime puts him at 5. His considerable decline and lack of win drops him down to 9 though.)
10. Vince Carter (We have Mr Dunk the Ball highlight reel Vince Carter who could destroy you on any given night. Too bad he was just too lazy to do so.)

Well, I am not that familiar with the NBA before the 3 point line much, so here is my list.

This is about right to me.

tee,hee

Chieflion
09-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Fill in the blank.

You are a perfect example of ____________________
I already apologised for my mistake. What is the matter with you Laker douchebags?

Culburn369
09-18-2009, 11:51 AM
This is about right to me.

tee,hee

How dare you, sir!

sook
09-18-2009, 11:58 AM

not trying to sound rude at all when i say ginobili was just an excellent role player, still probably still one of the best ever though. But all those guys people are putting on their list have been 1st option

Chieflion
09-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Are you from Europe?
Singapore practices British English.

Dex
09-18-2009, 12:08 PM
not trying to sound rude at all when i say ginobili was just an excellent role player, still probably still one of the best ever though. But all those guys people are putting on their list have been 1st option

Manu was the head honcho in most of his international career, but has always had talent around him. But I definitely agree to your point; Manu has never had to carry an NBA team.

Then again, neither Jordan nor Bryant were ever able to win a title without getting SOME help at their side. No matter how great the player, this will always be a team game.

dirk4mvp
09-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Manu gets to play with Tim Duncan and Parker. T-Mac gets to play with a center who breaks his foot every year.

JamStone
09-18-2009, 12:15 PM
If you take into consideration his international career, Ginobili could easily be argued as in or at least near the top 10 of shooting guards. Hard to know the OP's intent, but one could assume he meant only based on NBA careers. If that's the case, I think it's harder to argue Ginobili being close to the top 10. It's just one of those things. It depends on what the parameters of the list and discussion are. Based on his NBA career, at best, he'll be remember more along the lines of a McHale or Worthy. He could likely be viewed eventually as a HOF type talent, but he'll always be viewed as that sidekick type of HOF rather than one of the no. 1 guys. But if you ask Ginobili, I think he'll take that if the alternative would have been being a T-Mac or Vince Carter type of career where he dominated individually but had very little team success.

Culburn369
09-18-2009, 12:27 PM
But I definitely agree to your point; Manu has never had to carry an NBA team.

Only to the decisive end. Many times when Duncan reached out his hand it was Manu who knew to hold it.

kamikazi_player
09-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Sorry but T-mac is much better than Gino when healthy especially if we're comparing primes.

Galileo
09-18-2009, 03:07 PM

1. Michael Jordan
2. Jerry West
3. Kobe Bryant
4. George Gervin

Jerry West > Jordan

for multiple reasons.

da_suns_fan
09-18-2009, 03:10 PM
1) MJ
2) Kobe
3) Drexler
4) Reggie Miller
5) Dwayne Wade

da_suns_fan
09-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Jerry West > Jordan

for multiple reasons.

:rolleyes

I dont like when anyone brings up anyone from the old era of basketball when talking about the "best ever". Anyone before the merger of the NBA and ABA was playing in a vastly different league than the one today.

Besides, Jordan wouldve averaged 50 ppg in West's era.

Galileo
09-18-2009, 03:42 PM
:rolleyes

I dont like when anyone brings up anyone from the old era of basketball when talking about the "best ever". Anyone before the merger of the NBA and ABA was playing in a vastly different league than the one today.

Besides, Jordan wouldve averaged 50 ppg in West's era.

That's bullshit!

West didn't have the three-point shot. West was still a 1st team all-NBA player in 1974 when he was an old man and past his prime.

He had the longest shooting range of anyone in history.

He lead his team to a 33 game winning streak.

He played in 9 NBA finals.

He was the greatest clutch palyer ever, hence he is known as Mr. Clutch.

He had more 40 point games in the NBA finals than anyone in history.

Shortest player ever in college to get 2000 points and 1000 rebounds.

Drafted higher than Jordan, # 2 vs # 3.

Better on D than Jordan, was still 1st team all-NBA defense in 1970-1973, they didn't give the award before then.

Better passer than Jordan, with more assists.

Captain of greatest Olympic team ever, 1960 gold medal winners.

Named MVP of 1959 NCAA finals, despite being from a small school.

Only NBA Finals MVP from a losing team in 1969.

Coolest nickname ever; Zeke from Cabin Creek.

Jerry West IS the NBA logo.

Ultimate Player - Jerry West
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FCoifWtapc

Highest scoring average ever in NBA playoff series; 46.3 points per game.

Jerry West - Mr. Clutch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8oGUyREHcQ

THE LEGEND - Jerry West MIX by MISIEK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETnpo4Fs33M

NBA at 50: Jerry West (biography)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4JjXsT6McI

Jerry West - West Virginia University Mountaineers - Greatest Basketball Players
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2265362/jerry_west_west_virginia_university_mountaineers_g reatest_basketball_players/

jerry west
http://www.indavideo.hu/video/jerry_west?action=video_site&video_title=jerry_west%3Ftoken%3D5394ffee37f2752ff 10e5e24c527c619

Amaso
09-18-2009, 04:58 PM
That's bullshit!

West didn't have the three-point shot. West was still a 1st team all-NBA player in 1974 when he was an old man and past his prime.

He had the longest shooting range of anyone in history.

He lead his team to a 33 game winning streak.

He played in 9 NBA finals.

He was the greatest clutch palyer ever, hence he is known as Mr. Clutch.

He had more 40 point games in the NBA finals than anyone in history.

Shortest player ever in college to get 2000 points and 1000 rebounds.

Drafted higher than Jordan, # 2 vs # 3.

Better on D than Jordan, was still 1st team all-NBA defense in 1970-1973, they didn't give the award before then.

Better passer than Jordan, with more assists.

Named MVP of 1959 NCAA finals, despite being from a small school.

Only NBA Finals MVP from a losing team in 1969.

Coolest nickname ever; Zeke from Cabin Creek.

Jerry West IS the NBA logo.

Ultimate Player - Jerry West
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FCoifWtapc

Highest scoring average ever in NBA playoff series; 46.3 points per game.

Jerry West - Mr. Clutch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8oGUyREHcQ

THE LEGEND - Jerry West MIX by MISIEK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETnpo4Fs33M

NBA at 50: Jerry West (biography)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4JjXsT6McI

Jerry West - West Virginia University Mountaineers - Greatest Basketball Players
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2265362/jerry_west_west_virginia_university_mountaineers_g reatest_basketball_players/

jerry west
http://www.indavideo.hu/video/jerry_west?action=video_site&video_title=jerry_west%3Ftoken%3D5394ffee37f2752ff 10e5e24c527c619

lol

manufan10
09-18-2009, 05:58 PM
How dare you, sir!

Did it upset you?

tee, hee

:lol

Culburn369
09-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Did it upset you?

tee, hee

:lol

I was taken a back, yes.

cobbler
09-18-2009, 08:25 PM

Stopped reading there... Complete loss of credibility in the first sentence.

polysylab1k
09-18-2009, 08:29 PM
No surprise here though

Chieflion
09-18-2009, 08:30 PM
That was you. Not my fault he was the main ballhandler for the Lakers. If you want to call Jerry West a shooting guard, call Oscar Robertson a shooting guard to make it fair. They were called just guards during their time, no need to twist the facts.

Unless you are trying to tell me Gail Goodrich was the point guard of the Lakers, you don't have a case cause Goodrich was the scoring guard up until West retired. West was the playmaker as Goodrich led the team in points per game.

Chieflion
09-18-2009, 09:01 PM
No surprise here though
Somehow, I don't feel offended because a gook usually means a Korean or Vietnamese. I am sure you mean Asian but you are a dumbass for even trying to act racist on a Sports forum.

cobbler
09-18-2009, 09:18 PM
That was you. Not my fault he was the main ballhandler for the Lakers. If you want to call Jerry West a shooting guard, call Oscar Robertson a shooting guard to make it fair. They were called just guards during their time, no need to twist the facts.

Unless you are trying to tell me Gail Goodrich was the point guard of the Lakers, you don't have a case cause Goodrich was the scoring guard up until West retired. West was the playmaker as Goodrich led the team in points per game.

Gail Goodrich was indeed the Point Guard. Just because he was a prolific scorer in both college and the NBA doens't change the position he played. In any poll or converstaion about guards you will always see West listed as a SG. But hey... you spin it anyway that makes you happy. No biggie

myhc
09-18-2009, 09:26 PM
no surprise here though

ban this douchebag please.

j-money24
09-18-2009, 10:42 PM
1. Michael Jordan
2. Jerry West
3. John Havlicek
4. George Gervin
5. Kobe Bryant

Kobe at #5 on your list, wow you're being too nice here, i didnt even think you'd put Kobe as top 20 of all time.

j-money24
09-18-2009, 10:53 PM
You people talk about Manu as if he never gets injured.
The last 2 seasons he's been one of the reasons why the Spurs got eliminated.
2008 playoffs playing injured and getting owned by Vujabitch.
2009 playoffs was injured, did not play.

Cry Havoc
09-18-2009, 11:35 PM

Uh. The Dream Team would have absolutely annihilated West's squad. It would not even be a close matchup.

Many other things of what you posted were humorous as well, but this is just freaking ludicrous.

Drafted higher than Jordan.

Are you fucking kidding?

DJB
09-19-2009, 02:29 AM
Isn't TMAC a SF?

Chieflion
09-19-2009, 03:04 AM
Isn't TMAC a SF?
He played SG for about every team he was on. Grant Hill was the SF in Orlando, granted he did not play much. Battier was the SF in Houston. T-Mac was backing up Vince Carter in Toronto as a SG.

The Franchise
09-19-2009, 06:01 AM
Statistically speaking, yes. But talk to me when T-Mac channels all that talent into being able to get out of the first round (Riding the bench doesn't count).

Hypothetical: You're on the blacktop picking teams for basketball. Would you rather have the guy who has more talent, or the guy who always wins ball games?

Subjectivity is going to make this list impossible. Are we going primarily on stats, or accomplishments, or what?

(I will admit, however, that TMac has never quite had a Parker and Duncan at his side)

I understand you love your Spurs, but enough with stupid bullshit about him being better (or even on the same level) than T-Mac. :lol Do you really believe Ginobili would get out of the first round with the teams that Tracy had? If you do then you need to put down that shit your smoking because it's killing you. Ginobili was lucky to be on the teams he was, because as a first option on teams T-mac had to suffer through he would fail miserably(hell if he had that kind of pressure his career would probably be over).

Ginobili gets to play a lot of one on one because he has allstar teammates. You put T-mac in his place on the Spurs from the time they had Ginobili, and I am willing to wager you guys would have more championships. Duncan, Parker, McGrady? That shit would be bananas!!! I will admit Ginobili has more heart and a stronger desire to win than Tracy. I also love the effort and intensity he gives night in and night out, but that's where his being better than tracy stops. I like Ginobili a lot, and really don't care for T-mac very much, but if both are healthy, no GM would ever pick Manu over him.

The Franchise
09-19-2009, 06:09 AM
MJ
KOBE
PISTOL PETE
ANDREW TONEY
ICE MAN
JERRY WEST
Reggie Miller
DUMARS
TMAC
DREXLER

I was reluctant to put Ice on this list because I view him as the number two small forward of all time. Drexler could be swapped for Wade, Monroe, or even AI. My first four are in stone.

You obviously never saw Clyde in his prime to have him that low on this list. Reggie Miller, Tmac, Joe Dumars ahead of Drexler? That's just.......... so horribly wrong!!! :lol

Lars
09-19-2009, 06:25 AM
Poor Clyde got a bad rap for playing in the Jordan era.

Culburn369
09-19-2009, 07:02 AM
...and for playing a funk & junk style.

TMTTRIO
09-19-2009, 08:14 AM
If you take into consideration his international career, Ginobili could easily be argued as in or at least near the top 10 of shooting guards. Hard to know the OP's intent, but one could assume he meant only based on NBA careers. If that's the case, I think it's harder to argue Ginobili being close to the top 10. It's just one of those things. It depends on what the parameters of the list and discussion are. Based on his NBA career, at best, he'll be remember more along the lines of a McHale or Worthy. He could likely be viewed eventually as a HOF type talent, but he'll always be viewed as that sidekick type of HOF rather than one of the no. 1 guys. But if you ask Ginobili, I think he'll take that if the alternative would have been being a T-Mac or Vince Carter type of career where he dominated individually but had very little team success.

True. Manu's not near the top and there's plenty of other more talented SG's in the NBA then Manu (Manu hasn't even made more than one AS appearance or won any other individual award other than SMOY which really is nothing at all). Manu will still make the HOF but most of that won't be based on anything he's done in the NBA but what he'll be really known for his success internationally and in the Olympics/WC.

Galileo
09-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Uh. The Dream Team would have absolutely annihilated West's squad. It would not even be a close matchup.

Many other things of what you posted were humorous as well, but this is just freaking ludicrous.

Are you fucking kidding?

West was drafted # 2, Jordan only # 3.

The 1960 Olympic team had larger margin of victories than the Dream team, thanks to Jerry West and his friends:

1960 USA RESULTS (8-0)

USA 88 Italy 54
USA 125 Japan 66
USA 107 Hungary 63
USA 104 Yugoslavia 42
USA 108 Uruguay 50
USA 81 USSR 57
USA 112 Italy 81
USA 90 Brazil 63
http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/countries/USA/summer/1960/BAS/

Key Players:

Jerry West

Oscar Robertson

Walt Bellamy

1961 1st pick of NBA draft
1962 NBA rookie of-the year, 31.6 ppg, 19.0 rpg, NBA all-star
1963 NBA all-star
1964 NBA all-star
1965 NBA all-star
Hall-of-Famer

Jerry Lucas

1960 1st team all-American, Oustanding player of Final Four, 26.3 ppg, 16.4 rpg
1961 AP player of year, Outstanding player of Final Four
1962 AP player of year
1964 NBA rookie of year, 2nd team all-NBA
1965 1st team all-NBA, 21.4 ppg, 20 rpg, All-star MVP
1966 1st team all-NBA, 21.5 ppg, 21.1 rpg
1967 2nd team all-NBA
1968 1st team all-NBA
1969 NBA all-star
1971 NBA all-star
TOP 50 all-time NBA player

Bullet Bob Boozer

1st pick of 1959 NBA Draft
became NBA all-star
became 20 point per game scorer in NBA

Terry Dischinger

1960 2nd team all-American
1961 1st team all-Amercian
1962 1st team all-American
1963 NBA rookie of the year, 25.5 ppg, 8 rpg, NBA all-star
1964 NBA all-star
1965 NBA all-star
1966 sent to Vietnam

Big D Imoff

3rd pick of 1960 NBA draft, after Robertson & West
became NBA all-star

Adrian Smith

MVP of 1966 NBA all-star game

http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/countries/USA/summer/1960/BAS/

DxB
09-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Jerry West > Jordan

for multiple reasons.

U can eat a dick for multiple reasons.

Ghazi
09-19-2009, 06:21 PM
D-Whistle is probably already a top 10 shooting guard... bt he did NOT, I repeat! NOT win a ring in 2006.

Culburn369
09-19-2009, 07:33 PM
D-Whistle is probably already a top 10 shooting guard... bt he did NOT, I repeat! NOT win a ring in 2006.

Oh, yeah, he did,,,and you rolled over and exposed yer starfish for his pleasure & accomplishment.

Chieflion
09-19-2009, 07:44 PM
I have not read all of this, but just to clear up confusion, West and Gervin played in a time where there were not shooting guards and point guards, small and power forwards, there were just guards and forwards. But if they did classify those 2 it would be West at 2/1 and Gervin at 2/3.
I always thought West as a combo guard, which is why he was not on my list. He would have been the clear cut number 3 if he was in, the very same reason why I always thought Gilbert Arenas was more of a SG. West was a very good ballhandler who started the offense.

Culburn369
09-19-2009, 08:50 PM
The apparent difference twixt Jordan & West is West's precarious mental state throughout his career. The Boston dominance over the Lakers affected West markedly. He was afraid to fail. Jordan never suffered that malady. He'd see the fire and head toward it, eager for the opportunity to be victorious, unafraid to leave it all out there...taking the result as it was dealt.

Culburn369
09-19-2009, 09:58 PM
When people brand Wilt or West losers, it really isn't fair.

I don't do [fair], Phil...there is no percentage in it. And that is what Wilt & West kept waiting for=[fair]---they waited in vain whilst the Celtics got the hand downs and those two got the shit kicked to them. West finally wised up (though the damage had been done)...by that time he was GM of the Lakers, he knew where the bear shit in the buckwheat, and he, more or less (badgered by Magic) got on down into the mud, blood and shit and "got some." Wilt never learned. He let Russell take his pants down time & again, and Russell made him like it.

It's not a pleasant heritage I possess, but, it is what it is.

MrChug
09-20-2009, 05:59 AM
I'm goin:

1. MJ
2. Kobe (damn that hurt)
3. Jerry West
4. Pete Maravich
5. George Gervin
6. Clyde Drexler (Jerry West said that if MJ had never been born we'd spend all of our time talking about "all the things Drexler could do"
7. The Pearl
8. Dwyane Wade (he’ll end up in the top 5 by the end of his career)
9. Allen Iverson
10. Ray Allen (damn, that hurt MORE-I hate that puss)

the "maybe"s-Vince Carter, Reggie, Ro Blackman, Joe D, Adrian Dantley, & Mitch Richmond

and future: Brandon Roy, Ben Gordon

(oh and the U.S. Secret Service...they're guards that shoot pretty well too)

Chieflion
09-20-2009, 06:21 AM
I'm goin:

1. MJ
2. Kobe (damn that hurt)
3. Jerry West
4. Pete Maravich
5. George Gervin
6. Clyde Drexler (Jerry West said that if MJ had never been born we'd spend all of our time talking about "all the things Drexler could do"
7. The Pearl
8. Dwyane Wade (he’ll end up in the top 5 by the end of his career)
9. Allen Iverson
10. Ray Allen (damn, that hurt MORE-I hate that puss)

the "maybe"s-Vince Carter, Reggie, Ro Blackman, Joe D, Adrian Dantley, & Mitch Richmond

and future: Brandon Roy, Ben Gordon

(oh and the U.S. Secret Service...they're guards that shoot pretty well too)
Last I heard, Dantley was a forward, then a guard. You sure ranked a career loser pretty high (Pete Maravich) for a guy who never won anything or sniffed a MVP.

TheSpursFNRule
09-20-2009, 06:00 PM
1. MJ
2. Jerry West
3. Kobe
4. Reggie Miller
5. Drexler.