PDA

View Full Version : Barry Will Not Return to Rockets

mountainballer
09-18-2009, 06:01 AM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/090917_barry_not_return_rockets

HOUSTON - NBA sources told FOX 26 Sports Thursday guard Brent Barry will not be back with the Houston Rockets for the upcoming season.

Barry will either be traded or he will retire with the Rockets expected in that case to buy out his contract which had one year remaining.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PM5K
09-18-2009, 06:12 AM
Good shooter, surprised to see him go so soon, you'd think a good shooter could stick around a little longer, even if he isn't as athletic as he used to be.

coyotes_geek
09-18-2009, 08:11 AM
Not surprising. Barry is pretty much done. He put up career lows in points and field goal percentage last year.

kobyz
09-18-2009, 08:33 AM
good for Rockets. they have young guys that should have the minutes.

The Truth #6
09-18-2009, 09:37 AM
He probably knew this was his last season anyway and expected the buyout.

SenorSpur
09-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Hmmm. Imagine that. The honeymoon is over after just one season.

I wonder if his brother Jon will still be able to exercise that "supposed" lifetime set of perks he was offered in exchange for his help in securing his younger brother's services. I believe the perks included a lifetime membership to the exclusive Rockets Executive club and carte blanche attendance at any and all future Rockets home games.

DaBears
09-18-2009, 09:41 AM
I say bring him back to SA. he doesnt have to be a a player, could be a player coach.... Teach the young guys....

Mel_13
09-18-2009, 09:43 AM
After Rick and Jon, the third Barry to end his NBA career with the Rockets.

DaBears
09-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Well we still need him for the HEB commericals...... Mango Tree

DaBears
09-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Long live the Barry Clan..............................................

angel_luv
09-18-2009, 10:52 AM
I am still waiting for him to apologise for the comments he made about Bruce Bowen.

manufan10
09-18-2009, 11:02 AM
I am still waiting for him to apologise for the comments he made about Bruce Bowen.

I missed it. What did he say?

angel_luv
09-18-2009, 11:05 AM
I missed it. What did he say?

He said Bruce played dirty. It was anything awful but I felt the comment was unnecessary and I did not appreciate Brent making it.

hater
09-18-2009, 11:06 AM
He's done. he should replace Kenny on TNT

urunobili
09-18-2009, 11:09 AM
he should be a great TV commentator i agree hater ^^^

Supergirl
09-18-2009, 11:11 AM
How the heck old is Barry by now, anyway?

completely deck
09-18-2009, 11:11 AM

Didn't we figure out that Barry was kidding or the quote was taken way out of context?

angel_luv
09-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Didn't we figure out that Barry was kidding or the quote was taken way out of context?

I didn't hear that but I am glad to go with that conclusion.

I always liked Brent Barry.

All's forgiven. :)

angel_luv
09-18-2009, 11:17 AM
And since all is forgiven, might as well have Brent Barry get on the local broadcasting rotation- where his humor will be most appreciated.

DaBears
09-18-2009, 11:34 AM
can you imagine Sean Elliott and Brent Barry doing the commentary together. That would be awesome...... Best on Tv i bet

angel_luv
09-18-2009, 11:37 AM
can you imagine Sean Elliott and Brent Barry doing the commentary together. That would be awesome...... Best on Tv i bet

That would be cool.

Sean and Bruce would be an excellent team also, I think.

Bruno
09-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Spurs surely made the right choice by re-signing Finley for $5M/2 years instead of Barry for $4M/2 years.

loveforthegame
09-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Barry was done when he left the Spurs but I remember many complaining that we should have kept him over Finley at the time.

I think the Spurs made the right choice.

Best of luck to Barry though.

EricB
09-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Spurs surely made the right choice by re-signing Finley for $5M/2 years instead of Barry for $4M/2 years.

:lol

I would've lost that bet had you given it to me last year at this time.

EricB
09-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Yeah not suprising, if you watched him last year he had nothing left, he was just straining himself out there, his legs were and are shot.

Phenomanul
09-18-2009, 12:33 PM
His calf problems led to a rapid deterioration of his game... he was doing fine before that injury became a chronic issue....

crc21209
09-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Sad to see a great shooter like him be done...but thats exactly what he is..done. He should've just retired a Spur or played one more year...but nooo he wanted to go follow in Daddy and Brother's footsteps..

EricB
09-18-2009, 12:48 PM
I don't know if the Spurs offered him a contract or not, so I really can't in all honesty say "Man Barry is an idiot for not resigning."

Buddy Holly
09-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Why couldn't Finley retire too?

buttsR4rebounding
09-18-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't know if the Spurs offered him a contract or not, so I really can't in all honesty say "Man Barry is an idiot for not resigning."

It was reported last year that he was offered 1 year at the vet minimum. The Rockets offered 2 years at the LLE. Hard to fault him for not wanting to pass up over $2 million in guaranteed money. Even though he shops at HEB he still gotta feed his family...

Mel_13
09-18-2009, 01:07 PM

Barry had a player option for one more year at the minimum. He declined to exercise the option and signed with Houston for the 2yr LLE.

Indazone
09-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Barry was half a step slow on offense and really couldn't keep his man in front of him on defense last year. Dude could still dunk though. When given the ball his job was to generate some offense and he clunked a lot of shots or passed the ball off. If he can't hit his three pointers or generate some offense by penetrating and dishing, what good is he?

lennyalderette
09-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Barry was half a step slow on offense and really couldn't keep his man in front of him on defense last year. Dude could still dunk though. When given the ball his job was to generate some offense and he clunked a lot of shots or passed the ball off. If he can't hit his three pointers or generate some offense by penetrating and dishing, what good is he?
yeah i saw a rockets game last year , and thats exactly what he did!! i ws shocked he was hitting bricks non stop through out that season

EricB
09-18-2009, 02:32 PM
It was reported last year that he was offered 1 year at the vet minimum. The Rockets offered 2 years at the LLE. Hard to fault him for not wanting to pass up over $2 million in guaranteed money. Even though he shops at HEB he still gotta feed his family...

Yeah how could he live on 2 million less after making about 5 million a year for the past 3 years before.

EricB
09-18-2009, 02:33 PM

He couldn't do that healthy either.

SenorSpur
09-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Here's another likely reason that Barry wont be back with the Rockets:

2. Chase Budinger, Rockets: With his size, athleticism and shooting touch, Chase was destined to be a lottery pick. But leading up to the draft, scouts and GMs started questioning his toughness, leadership skills and ability to put the ball on the floor. Like Blair, Budinger impressed in the Summer League averaging 17.8 points, while shooting a ridiculous 72.7 percent from three-point land. With Yao out, the Rockets will definitely welcome another scorer.

Libri
09-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Please bring Erin Barry back to SA! :D

Buddy Holly
09-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Please bring Erin Barry back to SA! :D

She's been here.

Libri
09-18-2009, 03:57 PM
She's been here.

Glad to hear that! :D

SenorSpur
09-18-2009, 04:15 PM
The Spurs were likely to draft Budinger at 37 or 51. Of course they wouldn't pass up on Blair and Budinger was gone by 51.

The thought of being able to nab them both, would've been sweet.

hsxvvd
09-18-2009, 05:51 PM
3rd Point?

rapliketp
09-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Barry's going to the Celtics.

angelbelow
09-18-2009, 07:20 PM
good luck to brent

polysylab1k
09-18-2009, 07:57 PM
good for Rockets. they have young guys that should have the minutes.
Leaving alone the win/lose record, of course. Barry is old as shit but it's still fair to say he plays smarter and more influentially on court than those adolescents do.

polysylab1k
09-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Leaving alone the win/lose record, of course. Barry is old as shit but it's still fair to say he plays smarter and more influentially on court than those adolescents do.

What's interesting, or absurd is, Houston has always been the last station for Barry's family. Rick, Jon and now Brent, all ended their career or is about to finish his career in Houston.

bigbendbruisebrother
09-18-2009, 08:17 PM

That would be funny as hell. Not to mention the added bonus of not hearing Bill Land anymore.

lotr1trekkie
09-18-2009, 08:18 PM
His father was freaky. Could shoot, drive or pass with the best of them. You missed something if your too young to have seen him.

timtonymanu
09-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Barry's pretty much done at this point. It's a good thing the front office picked Finley over Barry. Thanks for everything, Brent!

The Truth #6
09-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Barry's pretty much done at this point. It's a good thing the front office picked Finley over Barry. Thanks for everything, Brent!

Really? They both seemed completely washed up to me. The good thing with Barry was that Pop wouldn't inexplicably play him when he wasn't playing well.
I can't say the same with Finley.

SenorSpur
09-19-2009, 01:25 AM
His father was freaky. Could shoot, drive or pass with the best of them. You missed something if your too young to have seen him.

Brent's father, Rick, was the absolute shit. You hit it right on the head. At 6'7", a 30ppg scorer, devastating shooter, great passer, create his own shot, rebound and career 90% FT shooter. A really tough, smart, yet demanding player and teammate. Some even called hiim an a-hole. Truly gifted, which is why HE's in the Basketball Hall of Fame.

About the only thing he wasn't good at was defense, and he'll tell you that he was at least capable of keeping his man in front of him.

Agree. If you missed his career, you really did miss something special.

Indazone
09-19-2009, 03:34 AM
Here's another likely reason that Barry wont be back with the Rockets:

2. Chase Budinger, Rockets: With his size, athleticism and shooting touch, Chase was destined to be a lottery pick. But leading up to the draft, scouts and GMs started questioning his toughness, leadership skills and ability to put the ball on the floor. Like Blair, Budinger impressed in the Summer League averaging 17.8 points, while shooting a ridiculous 72.7 percent from three-point land. With Yao out, the Rockets will definitely welcome another scorer.

He's Steve Novak with some ball handling skills. Hey maybe this dude can even play defense.

dbestpro
09-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Brent's father, Rick, was the absolute shit. You hit it right on the head. At 6'7", a 30ppg scorer, devastating shooter, great passer, create his own shot, rebound and career 90% FT shooter. A really tough, smart, yet demanding player and teammate. Some even called hiim an a-hole. Truly gifted, which is why HE's in the Basketball Hall of Fame.

About the only thing he wasn't good at was defense, and he'll tell you that he was at least capable of keeping his man in front of him.

Agree. If you missed his career, you really did miss something special.

He was a white Kobe.