PDA

View Full Version : Strikeforce: Fedor vs Rogers on CBS - November 7th

LEONARD
09-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers
Jake Shields vs Jason Mayhem Miller (MW Title) - Cung gave up the belt
Gegard Mousasi vs TBA
Cris Cyborg vs TBA

Mayhem - "Ok bitches who said I was ducking — I duck NO ONE. Fighting Sheilds on November 7th. Official BOOM!

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/09/17/scott-coker-fedor-on-cbs-a-very-big-deal-for-mma/

Dana chimes in
VDCJaQFBaPQ

This makes the SF signing make a little more sense doesn't it?

polandprzem
09-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Why does it?

LEONARD
09-18-2009, 09:42 AM
http://photoretch.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/wut1.jpg

polandprzem
09-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Why does it (Fedor singning with SF) makes more sense now?

d o
y o u
u n d e r s t a n d
n o w ?

Evan
09-18-2009, 12:39 PM
RIP Strikeforce

LEONARD
09-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Why does it (Fedor singning with SF) makes more sense now?

d o
y o u
u n d e r s t a n d
n o w ?

Because he'll be on one of the big networks...something the UFC can't offer. This was mentioned as a possibility when he signed with SF...

polandprzem
09-18-2009, 01:15 PM
We now have to wait for the ratings

It's better for Fedor cause he might been see but from sport point of view :nope

LEONARD
09-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Of course...MMA fans want to see Fedor vs Lesnar, Fedor vs Carwin, whatever. But that's not the situation right now.

He'll have the opportunity to be seem by more casual (or non) fans than if he was in the UFC. Of course it'll depends how he does as to how much of an impression he makes.

If I didn't know much about MMA and I tuned in to see the soft spoken, under-sized, pudgy Russian destroy the big mohawk'd black guy, it would leave an impression on me...

and of course, nobody knows if or how this affects money...so no reason to discuss that aspect.

ATRAIN
09-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Fedor really is the Brett Farve of MMA.

stretch
09-18-2009, 03:10 PM
lol

polandprzem
09-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Of course...MMA fans want to see Fedor vs Lesnar, Fedor vs Carwin, whatever. But that's not the situation right now.

He'll have the opportunity to be seem by more casual (or non) fans than if he was in the UFC. Of course it'll depends how he does as to how much of an impression he makes.

If I didn't know much about MMA and I tuned in to see the soft spoken, under-sized, pudgy Russian destroy the big mohawk'd black guy, it would leave an impression on me...

and of course, nobody knows if or how this affects money...so no reason to discuss that aspect.

So what that casuals do to Fedor?
Buy him a ticket to the UFC?

Even if he gets more attention and the ratings will be fine, where does it leaves Fedor? Still the same place vs same opponents.

But maybe being on CBS is the goal on it's own. I don't know?

oligarchy
09-19-2009, 01:41 AM
Does not compute. NaN.

TheTruth
09-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Signing with Strikeforce is still a bitch move by Fedor. Now he gets to try and be the next Kimbo headliner on National TV.

RIP Strikeforce

dbreiden83080
09-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Because he'll be on one of the big networks...something the UFC can't offer. This was mentioned as a possibility when he signed with SF...

It's only a matter of time before the UFC will be on network TV and likely offering 3 or 4 big events a year. The ratings will be less than what Kimbo pulled in you can be sure of that, nobody knows who Fedor is in the US.

RIP Strikeforce..

Evan
09-20-2009, 04:27 PM
doomed for epic failure

Like I have saod before...Fedor is the pete sampras of MMA...a dominate figure that only a handful of die hards will ever care about. His lack of a personality won't sell anything. Just like Sampras.

LEONARD
09-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Oct Edition
http://www.m-1global.com/v2/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/fedorfight.jpg

polandprzem
09-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Nice Fedor :tu

Still 1,5 months to wait for the bout and then next 2 months waiting for next opponent :rolleyes

Evan
09-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Oct Edition
http://www.m-1global.com/v2/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/fedorfight.jpg

the anti christ of mma orgs.

oligarchy
09-23-2009, 12:59 PM

That is idiotic. Fedor wants to be on a big network? Sure. Spin it whatever way it works in your mind, but there is no reasoning. Well, except for the fact that he is dodging UFC competition. He doesn't want to be the next crocop.

UFC COULD be on a big network, but they aren't stupid enough to do these shows for peanuts. Just like they aren't going to "co-promote" with M-1, which means M-1 rebrands it as their product overseas and takes that profit. SF will be in the red or maybe close to zero after this event. UFC would do a network deal if they were getting NBA/NFL money from the deals, but the networks won't pay that because they don't think they draw those crowds. The networks are right, they can't draw those crowds at this point.

ATRAIN
09-23-2009, 01:04 PM
That is idiotic. Fedor wants to be on a big network? Sure. Spin it whatever way it works in your mind, but there is no reasoning. Well, except for the fact that he is dodging UFC competition. He doesn't want to be the next crocop.

UFC COULD be on a big network, but they aren't stupid enough to do these shows for peanuts. Just like they aren't going to "co-promote" with M-1, which means M-1 rebrands it as their product overseas and takes that profit. SF will be in the red or maybe close to zero after this event. UFC would do a network deal if they were getting NBA/NFL money from the deals, but the networks won't pay that because they don't think they draw those crowds. The networks are right, they can't draw those crowds at this point.

I think you might be right. I kept calling fedor the Brett Farve of MMA and one of my buddies was taking it personal when we were watching the last UFC. It was quite funny considering if he wanted to fight me I could kick his ass before my boxing and ju jitsu.

LEONARD
09-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Fedor is too good to dodge anybody...

He's headlining on CBS...pretty damn cool IMO. He deserves to be known by the masses. Even if SF fails in the end, I don't care. His next fight is on CBS, for free, in HD, against a top 10 HW...hard to complain about that IMO.

dbreiden83080
09-23-2009, 02:14 PM

He's been ducking the UFC since Pride went under..

He deserves to be known by the masses.

If he had signed the lucrative UFC contract that was offered to him, he'd be getting ready to fight Brock right now, huge PPV buy-rate massive exposure, he said no, whatever exposure he gets off this won't come close to matching what that fight and a long-term UFC deal, would have done for him...

Even if SF fails in the end, I don't care. His next fight is on CBS, for free, in HD, against a top 10 HW...hard to complain about that IMO.

It's nice it's on CBS but this will do very little to help Fedor be accepted and loved by the public. I said before it will pull in less than the Kimbo ratings for sure..

ATRAIN
09-23-2009, 02:18 PM

He's headlining on CBS...pretty damn cool IMO. He deserves to be known by the masses. Even if SF fails in the end, I don't care. His next fight is on CBS, for free, in HD, against a top 10 HW...hard to complain about that IMO.

Yeah Sherdog has him as number 6 :lmao http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/2/Sherdog-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-19884

Ok he beat AA but at this point who hasnt. AA has been a joke since he left UFC and thats cause he is my boy. Other than that who has Brett beat that is worth a damn, I mean really. Shit half of the UFC heavyweights deserve to be above this guy. With all that being said I hope he beats Fedor, I really do!!

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Brett-Rogers-16048

oligarchy
09-23-2009, 02:20 PM
I doubt he's going to be known just because he's on CBS. Carano -- she's female and attractive. Kimbo was already popular and had huge hype around him.

I mean, is Lawler or Smith now known by the masses? Being on CBS alone isn't going to make him popular. Fight a nobody isn't going to make him popular either.

ATRAIN
09-23-2009, 02:20 PM
I doubt he's going to be known just because he's on CBS. Carano -- she's female and attractive. Kimbo was already popular and had huge hype around him.

I mean, is Lawler or Smith now known by the masses? Being on CBS alone isn't going to make him popular. Fight a nobody isn't going to make him popular either.

Hey he is a top 10 hw :lmao

dbreiden83080
09-23-2009, 02:22 PM

100% agree.

If he was fighting Brock on CBS it would mean something, even Randy at this point but Bret Rogers??

Who the hell is that, and who cares is what most people say??

oligarchy
09-23-2009, 02:23 PM
If he would have fought AA on CBS, that would have more merit.

ATRAIN
09-23-2009, 02:23 PM
100% agree.

If he was fighting Brock on CBS it would mean something, even Randy at this point but Bret Rogers??

Who the hell is that, and who cares is what most people say??

Come on DB he has whooped up on some quality garbage

ATRAIN
09-23-2009, 02:24 PM
If he would have fought AA on CBS, that would have more merit.

Shit if he fought Dana White on cbs that would have more merit.

dbreiden83080
09-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Come on DB he has whooped up on some quality garbage

Hey now Train i know your not saying that James "The Colossus" Thompson isn't a quality fighter.. :lol:lol

ATRAIN
09-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Hey now Train i know your not saying that James "The Colossus" Thompson isn't a quality fighter.. :lol:lol

You mean Mr I dont know how to drain my ear before fighting the most well known street brawler? :downspin:

ATRAIN
09-23-2009, 02:31 PM
James Thompson might be the equivalent of the MMA Brooklyn Brawler. Is there such a thing as MMA jobbers? :lmao

LEONARD
09-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Yeah Sherdog has him as number 6 :lmao http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/2/Sherdog-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-19884

Ok he beat AA but at this point who hasnt. AA has been a joke since he left UFC and thats cause he is my boy. Other than that who has Brett beat that is worth a damn, I mean really. Shit half of the UFC heavyweights deserve to be above this guy. With all that being said I hope he beats Fedor, I really do!!

The only top 10 worth looking at...
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/rankings/heavyweight/detail/766978

it factors in over 20 rankings. If you don't think Rogers is top 10, start emailing almost all of the sites that rank him there. I didn't make up the rankings...sorry.

If Rogers was in the UFC he'd be getting hyped up by the fans, Dana, etc just like all the other up and coming HW guys...but since he's not, he's a joke. Makes sense...

Who hasn't beaten Arlovski? Let's look at the few that have instead. He's lost to Tim, Fedor, and Rogers only in the last 7 yrs. And Ricco and Rizzo in '02 when they were at the top. So he's beaten quite a few more people than he's lost to. You're dismissing Arlovski completely...which is what happens after Fedor beats someone. Lame. Just like Sylvia...had 4 career losses going into the Fedor fight...Fedor smashed him like nobody ever had before and he became an instant joke. (don't even mention his fight with Mercer at 320 lbs...irrelevant)

Since AA left the UFC he's beaten Rothwell (now in the UFC), Roy Nelson (the favorite on TUF), and then the 2 losses. So basically losing to Rogers makes him "a joke" since he left the UFC? Surely losing to Fedor doesn't make him a joke, does it? The other 2 are wins...so that leaves just the Rogers fight as making him a joke...

If he beats Rogers, he'll bump out of the top 10 and then people will say he "wasn't even a top 10 guy"...lol

Which UFC HW's should be ahead of Rogers that aren't already?

Cain Velasquez? - beat Kongo (who has beaten Crocop?? and??)
Shane Carwin? - beat Gonzaga (who has beaten Crocop?? and??)
Dos Santos? - beat Crocop (not factored into rankings yet...noticing a theme here with CC?) and Werdum (good win)

Rogers beating Arlovski, who was higher ranked than any of those guys above, is just as solid as anything the UFC HW prospects have done. And if they didn't have a depleted Crocop to beat on, would Kongo or Gonzaga have any cred at all??

My point is we know about as much about Rogers as we do about the top UFC HW prospects. Dismissing Rogers as a joke is just being UFC-biased, IMO...

LEONARD
09-23-2009, 03:28 PM
and there is no point in discussing the money in the UFC vs SF, especially with CBS in the mix now. Yes, the UFC was most likely going to end up being more, but we don't know that for sure. Money isn't the only factor to consider anyway. I don't blame him for not wanting to sell his soul to Dana, who has ripped him one minute and praised him the next for years. He can't possibly have much respect for Dana...

and again, for the record...I'd much rather see Fedor fighting Brock in the UFC, but it didn't happen this time around. I'm not going to cry about it, turn on him, or wish failure on him. He can fight out his SF deal against solid opponents and gain some more popularity in the US. He's still the man and a year from now he'll probably be in the UFC. We have to hope so anyway...

LEONARD
09-23-2009, 03:35 PM

Was Lawler vs Smith a big fight with a big advertising push? Hell no. It was a rematch of a good fight that ended bad, but it wasn't main event worthy. Completely irrelevant to the Fedor discussion.

oligarchy
09-23-2009, 04:06 PM
and again, for the record...I'd much rather see Fedor fighting Brock in the UFC, but it didn't happen this time around. I'm not going to cry about it, turn on him, or wish failure on him. He can fight out his SF deal against solid opponents and gain some more popularity in the US. He's still the man and a year from now he'll probably be in the UFC. We have to hope so anyway...

He won't be in the UFC a year from now.. and if he is and loses, then people will be saying he's a shell of his former self. He was at his highest point, by beat two former champs, then he goes on to... oh fight in SF. To get get "bigger" paychecks and "more" exposure. wink. wink.

Was Lawler vs Smith a big fight with a big advertising push? Hell no. It was a rematch of a good fight that ended bad, but it wasn't main event worthy. Completely irrelevant to the Fedor discussion.

And Fedor is getting a big push? That's a perfect example of a headline that no one gives a shit about, much like Fedor and Rogers.

There's no way you can compare Fedor and Rogers to Kimbo's headline or Carano. That TRULY is copletely irrelevant. Of course, you'll give some stupid take. So, after Nov. 7, when we get the numbers, we'll see if it's closer to Kimbo or Lawler. I'll give my vote and say the ratings are closer to Lawler.

LEONARD
09-23-2009, 04:30 PM
He won't be in the UFC a year from now..

In your opinion….

If he doesn’t retire after his SF contract, there probably won’t be anywhere else to go. The Japanese MMA scene is falling apart fast. SF will probably crumble due to paying more big name guys than they have in the past. That leaves??? The UFC, or retirement. He’s only a year older than Lesnar…

and if he is and loses, then people will be saying he's a shell of his former self. He was at his highest point, by beat two former champs, then he goes on to... oh fight in SF. To get get "bigger" paychecks and "more" exposure. wink. wink.

If he looks like himself in his next 3 fights (and wins obviously), then goes to the UFC and loses I don’t see how anybody could say he was a shell of his former self.

If he loses in the UFC his legacy would be tarnished in most fan’s eyes anyway. He’d be grouped with Crocop (unfairly).

And Fedor is getting a big push? That's a perfect example of a headline that no one gives a shit about, much like Fedor and Rogers.

The fight is 6 wks out. Should they be running commercials on CBS now?? I can only ASSume that the advertising push for Fedor vs Rogers will be along the lines of the marketing push for Kimbo or Gina…if not more.

There's no way you can compare Fedor and Rogers to Kimbo's headline or Carano. That TRULY is copletely irrelevant. Of course, you'll give some stupid take. So, after Nov. 7, when we get the numbers, we'll see if it's closer to Kimbo or Lawler. I'll give my vote and say the ratings are closer to Lawler.

I have not said that it’ll do more ratings than Kimbo/Gina, have I? I stand by my statement about Smith/Lawler 2 being irrelevant to the conversation.

Kimbo is a whole different deal because of his global popularity among the masses due to youtube.

I agree that the ratings will be less than a Kimbo/Gina card, most of that due to Kimbo. They’ll definitely be a lot more than Smith/Lawler 2, unless they just don’t push this fight. I can’t see that happening though…

Evan
09-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Anderson Silva is no more popular than Fedor at this point.

agree...which is why being under the UFC brand can only take you so far without English and a personality.

check this out

http://www.google.com/trends?q=fedor,+anderson+silva&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=1

LEONARD
09-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Interesting stuff Evan...

Being on CBS can only help Fedor's popularity and drawing power in the long run IMO...

angelbelow
09-23-2009, 09:08 PM
agree...which is why being under the UFC brand can only take you so far without English and a personality.

check this out

http://www.google.com/trends?q=fedor,+anderson+silva&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=1

very interesting.

Evan
09-23-2009, 11:37 PM
the only bad part about that graph us you have to take down "B" which isn't the MMA Fedor. So when you take that out and consider the entire graph its fairly even.

polandprzem
09-24-2009, 06:17 AM
CBS contract was signed before they signed Fedor?

Then Fedor signing would make a bit more sense. (not from the sport point of view though)

LEONARD
09-24-2009, 01:05 PM
CBS was discussed as a possibility publicly back when he signed with SF...no clue what the contract says of course. I read that CBS contacted SF about airing the card so it's happening sooner than originally expected.

Also rumors floating about a CBS card before the Super Bowl...

oligarchy
09-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Piggy back off another major sporting event to get any ratings is aweome for a competing sport. It's still a fallacy, just like shows they put in before or after a superbowl for ratings. The ratings don't continue for those shows -- it would be prolonging death which is inevitable now for SF.