PDA

View Full Version : Am I protected from the law or by the law if I

BacktoBasics
09-18-2009, 11:33 AM
put a sign on my front yard that says "FUCK YOU"? I know I can curse in public and for the most part I'm within the law. So how does it pertain to signage on private property? No homeowners association. Just an undeveloped two acres in a quiet corner of nowhere with a nice white sign that reads "FUCK YOU". Traffic would be 3 cars or less in a day.

Can I do this?

angel_luv
09-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Why would you want to post such a sign?

z0sa
09-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Why would you want to post such a sign?

He's hoping you drive by

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
09-18-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm a HUMAN BEING, Goddamnit! My life has VALUE! Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!... You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do...

First thing that comes to my mind when I read your threads.

BacktoBasics
09-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Why would you want to post such a sign?I own two acres. Undeveloped on the outskirts of town in a somewhat small neighborhood. I was given 20 days to clean the lot up because the City of Old San Pat thinks its a fire hazard. Nevermind that its surrounded by 100's of acres of mother nature. The neighbor apparently complained. I am actually planning on leveling the property in 45-60 days. The city would not give me an extension. So now I have to pay someone 100 or so bucks to trim it up only to fork out the initial 2,200 I was going to pay to have it cleared in 45-60 days.

I feel like a big "Fuck You" is in order.

BacktoBasics
09-18-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm a HUMAN BEING, Goddamnit! My life has VALUE! Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!... You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do...

First thing that comes to my mind when I read your threads.Greatest rant ever. I never get tired of watching it.

PakiDan
09-18-2009, 11:43 AM
put a sign on my front yard that says "FUCK YOU"? I know I can curse in public and for the most part I'm within the law. So how does it pertain to signage on private property? No homeowners association. Just an undeveloped two acres in a quiet corner of nowhere with a nice white sign that reads "FUCK YOU". Traffic would be 3 cars or less in a day.

Can I do this?

Well, there are public decency laws... not exactly sure how they would pertain to private property... but I would like to know a little background on this... why the sign?

angel_luv
09-18-2009, 11:43 AM
I am sorry for the hassle you are being caused, B2B. You are good people.

JamStone
09-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Probably an either or type of call. On technicalities, freedom of speech should extend to something like that. But you don't know what a judge would say and how the state, county, city might try to use as mentioned some kind of public decency law to charge you with. Plus, one could argue the freedom of speech would not cover this because it might incite a riot, which would be a stretch but not completely unreasonable, say if a group of people around the area with children got angry and came over to teach you a lesson for putting profanity where their kids could read it.

Personally, I'd say you should have the right. But, again, the law particularly the language of the law and the justice system have ways of being manipulated.

Dex
09-18-2009, 11:50 AM

:lol

WINDtlPXmmE

Fpoonsie
09-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Probably an either or type of call. On technicalities, freedom of speech should extend to something like that. But you don't know what a judge would say and how the state, county, city might try to use as mentioned some kind of public decency law to charge you with. Plus, one could argue the freedom of speech would not cover this because it might incite a riot, which would be a stretch but not completely unreasonable, say if a group of people around the area with children got angry and came over to teach you a lesson for putting profanity where their kids could read it.

Personally, I'd say you should have the right. But, again, the law particularly the language of the law and the justice system have ways of being manipulated.

Well stated.

And furthermore, if your gripe (however reasonable) stems from having to shell out more money than you needed to, the last thing you want is some kind've a citation with a fine attached.

That ol chestnut "cutting off your nose to spiderface"* comes to mind.

*The Office.

BacktoBasics
09-18-2009, 12:00 PM
How much would a fine be. I'd be willing to fork out up to say 200 dollars just to make my point.

Now am I fine if I wear a shirt that says "fuck you"? Thinking about going over around 6am Sunday morning and fire up a big ass gas weedeater.

CosmicCowboy
09-18-2009, 12:09 PM
How much would a fine be. I'd be willing to fork out up to say 200 dollars just to make my point.

Now am I fine if I wear a shirt that says "fuck you"? Thinking about going over around 6am Sunday morning and fire up a big ass gas weedeater.

Take a giant boom box with you and put it on the property line facing the neighbor you think turned you in and hit em with 150 decibel Mariachi music while you weed eat at 6am.

BacktoBasics
09-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Take a giant boom box with you and put it on the property line facing the neighbor you think turned you in and hit em with 150 decibel Mariachi music while you weed eat at 6am.There's no "think" about it. I only have one neighbor and the Mayor confirmed it was their complaint.

That would be a noise violation wouldn't it?

CosmicCowboy
09-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Actually if it's a neighbor you are trying to get back at just write FUCK YOU! in THEIR grass with roundup.

BacktoBasics
09-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Actually if it's a neighbor you are trying to get back at just write FUCK YOU! in THEIR grass with roundup.Now that would be a crime. I need crimeless crimes. Come on man. Nothing pisses people off more than being pissed off with no recourse.

CosmicCowboy
09-18-2009, 12:14 PM
There's no "think" about it. I only have one neighbor and the Mayor confirmed it was their complaint.

That would be a noise violation wouldn't it?

hey...it's not illegal to play music while you work...if they call the cops just turn the music down when the cops get there. You've already fucked up your neighbors morning.

CosmicCowboy
09-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Now that would be a crime. I need crimeless crimes. Come on man. Nothing pisses people off more than being pissed off with no recourse.

It's a totally un proveable crime if they don't see you do it.. The grass won't start dying till a week after you spray it.

JamStone
09-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Lol, I have a feeling CC has about 50 other ideas he'd like for you to try on your neighbor.

Fpoonsie
09-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Well, if you're willing to deal w/ a $200 or so (your guess is as good as mine) recourse, then I think your original idea is fine/terribly funny. There's obviously no guarantee that ANY action would/could be taken/filed against you.

You seem to have a knack for arguing, so you'd prolly be best-served violating some blanket-termed law w/ a lot of gray area

Fpoonsie
09-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Lol, I have a feeling CC has about 50 other ideas he'd like for you to try on your neighbor.

:lol Tell him your potato gun idea, CC.

09-18-2009, 12:21 PM
My Dad used to soak beach towels in milk and lay them down the property line when his neighbor complained about a similar 5 acres.

Smells like rotting corpses.

CosmicCowboy
09-18-2009, 12:26 PM

Oh hell yeah...I am your guy for getting even.

After you clean your lot build a chicken coop...you can set up an automatic feeder and water for about $100. Stock it with a couple dozen roosters. They will start their rooster symphony every morning about 4.30 or 5 AM. It's perfectly legal. If you really want to fuck with em get a male peacock. Those bastards shriek all night.

SA210
09-18-2009, 12:30 PM
I own two acres. Undeveloped on the outskirts of town in a somewhat small neighborhood. I was given 20 days to clean the lot up because the City of Old San Pat thinks its a fire hazard. Nevermind that its surrounded by 100's of acres of mother nature. The neighbor apparently complained. I am actually planning on leveling the property in 45-60 days. The city would not give me an extension. So now I have to pay someone 100 or so bucks to trim it up only to fork out the initial 2,200 I was going to pay to have it cleared in 45-60 days.

I feel like a big "Fuck You" is in order.

:tu Go for it. I like it.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-18-2009, 12:32 PM
you should ask daniel carver.

09-18-2009, 12:33 PM

After you clean your lot build a chicken coop...you can set up an automatic feeder and water for about $100. Stock it with a couple dozen roosters. They will start their rooster symphony every morning about 4.30 or 5 AM.

Dude, you sound like my Dad. After the city shot him down on knocking an old barn and garage behind our houses down and putting up a pole barn, he built the shittiest chicken coop one could build and stocked it with 80 roosters/hens.

And he placed it on the corner of the land so the wind blows the stench right at our neighbor's house. Works wonders on a hot, humid day.

Needles to say, our neighbors don't like us very much.

EricB
09-18-2009, 12:46 PM

After you clean your lot build a chicken coop...you can set up an automatic feeder and water for about $100. Stock it with a couple dozen roosters. They will start their rooster symphony every morning about 4.30 or 5 AM. It's perfectly legal. If you really want to fuck with em get a male peacock. Those bastards shriek all night.

After shooting the roundup in the grass, then do THIS.

Awesome idea. Hell, I'll 50 of the goddamn cocks.

mrsmaalox
09-18-2009, 12:48 PM
You could make it a very beautiful sign that says:

EFF YOU SEE KAY WHY OWE YOU

That way it's not offensive, they get the point, and it doesn't give them the satisfaction of thinking you are seething because you still have your sense of humor.

09-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Hell, I'll 50 of the goddamn cocks.

In a row?

EricB
09-18-2009, 12:49 PM
In a row?

Well played.

BacktoBasics
09-18-2009, 12:58 PM
You could make it a very beautiful sign that says:

EFF YOU SEE KAY WHY OWE YOU

That way it's not offensive, they get the point, and it doesn't give them the satisfaction of thinking you are seething because you still have your sense of humor.
awwww thats adorable.

marini martini
09-18-2009, 02:00 PM
awwww thats adorable.
:tu

:lmao:lmao:lmao

C'mon Mrs.M, B2B is a manly man!!!

LnGrrrR
09-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Greatest rant ever. I never get tired of watching it.

My favorite rant is from Office Space.

Bob Slidell: "What.. what would you say you do here?" Tom: "Look, I already told you! I deal with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to! I have people skills! I am good at dealing with people! Can't you understand that? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!"

ploto
09-18-2009, 02:20 PM
I would love to do that. Our HOA drove around in the middle of the drought and sent out ugly letters to anyone who had any dried up grass areas or ivy or anything like that in the yard. Rules prohibit any yard signs.:depressed

phyzik
09-18-2009, 02:25 PM
look to see if they have a vent or something that leads into the roof crawlspace/attic. Buy a few rats or something, kill some of them, throw the corpses and the live rats in their attic.

1. they will have a rat problem

2. they will have to deal with the stench of death in their house for a few days before they figure anything out (if they ever figure it out).

3. no way to accuse someone else for a rat problem (unless you are caught in the act of placing them their).

Mark in Austin
09-18-2009, 02:30 PM
if you put the sign up so that it faces the neighbors and not public right-of-way I think it would help insulate you against the public indecency angle.

marini martini
09-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Saw a bath tub in half, decorate it with cheezy flowers and decorations, instead of the Virgen place your sign in the Grotto. You can change the sign out for holidays!:toast

gatoloco
09-18-2009, 03:02 PM
put down the xbox and clean your yard you deadbeat!

BacktoBasics
09-18-2009, 03:04 PM
put down the xbox and clean your yard you deadbeat!
How fucking typical of you to not have read the entire story. The work itself isn't the issue moron.

gatoloco
09-18-2009, 03:57 PM
http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss58/hellofuckface2010/b2byard.jpg

JudynTX
09-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Just spell it PHUCK YOU, problem solved. :lol

baseline bum
09-18-2009, 06:06 PM
The chicken coop is by far the best idea. Reading "Fuck You" is no big deal, but stank-ass chickens and loud ass roosters would be a gift that keeps on giving.

exstatic
09-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Actually, there are a number of really creative ideas. Try them sequentially. As the neighbor complains about one, take until the deadline to remedy it, then on to the next one.

Save the peacocks for last. He may hang himself with that one.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-18-2009, 09:55 PM
So this is what the world has come to? Be as nasty as possible? These people might have a good point - it might be a fire hazard.

No wonder the world is going to shit when people spend more time thinking up revenge for perceived slights (I mean, really, is something this small worth doing some of the ugly things suggested? clean up the freakin block and be done with it, then maybe go and develop a relationship with the neighbours) rather than communicating and finding a decent compromise/solution.

Before long the world's going to be comprised of heavily armed and armoured compounds taking pot shots at each other all day. One day someone will ask "why are we shooting at them?" and no-one will have an answer.

(Let the flaming begin.)

exstatic
09-18-2009, 11:11 PM
So this is what the world has come to? Be as nasty as possible? These people might have a good point - it might be a fire hazard.

No wonder the world is going to shit when people spend more time thinking up revenge for perceived slights (I mean, really, is something this small worth doing some of the ugly things suggested? clean up the freakin block and be done with it, then maybe go and develop a relationship with the neighbours) rather than communicating and finding a decent compromise/solution.

Before long the world's going to be comprised of heavily armed and armoured compounds taking pot shots at each other all day. One day someone will ask "why are we shooting at them?" and no-one will have an answer.

(Let the flaming begin.)

So, he clears his plot. Did you read the part about the area being completely surrounded by unmaintained public land, dry as a tinder box? Clearing his plot would be like attaching a life jacket to the Titanic, in terms of fire abatement. Did you read the part about his neighbor getting with him and asking him to take care of this before running off to the mayor? Neither did I....

Game on.

exstatic
09-18-2009, 11:17 PM
I like the peacock option. With the roosters, he could always go to bed earlier and get a full night's sleep.

http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/~iag/peacock3b.jpg

Get a couple of them. Pen them separately, but within sight and smell of each other.

chode_regulator
09-19-2009, 12:22 AM

Not sure if youre fine or not doing it, but ive seen people in public wearing shirts that say "fuck you" real big on them.

marini martini
09-19-2009, 01:05 AM
How a bout "Eat Shit and Die"????????

BacktoBasics
09-19-2009, 09:08 AM

(Let the flaming begin.)
Look you fucking moron its not about cleaning up the lot. The problem lies in the fact that I'm scheduled to have it leveled in 45-60 days. Its going to cost me 2,200 to have it done and the Mayor gave me 20 days to clean it up. I politely informed them that the lot is in fact going to be taken care of if they could be so kind as to give a small extension so it wouldn't cost an extra couple of hundred dollars to have someone go out there early and put a pointless trim job on it only to have it bulldozed about a month later. I didn't blow him off and I'm not asking for too much. Its been sitting like that for 2 years and no one ever sent me a notice for shit.

Why do you fucking people have such a hard time understanding things. Did I complain about actually having the lot cleared.

ANSWER: NO

Its the fact that in a town of 3,400 people this assfuck Mayor can't give me an extra 20 or so days to same me and my family some much needed money. Ruling that town with an iron fist is fucking retarded. The only reason he's being an ass about it is because the neighbor keeps calling and bitching to him. I haven't touched that lot for over two years and all of a sudden its an issue. Well if he thought dealing with her before was bad.....welcome to the here and now because I'm going to drive her FUCKING CRAZY.

God damn you people don't understand shit.

....and yes I'm her only neighbor...she's surrounded by 8 foot weeds on all other corners including the lot across the street.

After going out there with the kids 4 or 5 times in the last 6 months to take measurements I'm thinking she's trying to raise some shit so I don't move in and wreck her quiet little corner.

MiamiHeat
09-19-2009, 09:14 AM

90ELleCQvew

spurster
09-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Whatever you do, you'll set up yourself as a target. A perfectly legal sign would be political with nothing libelous, something like Mayor XXX Sucks or Impeach Mayor XXX. Maybe your neighbor has some strong political opinions, so you could put up signs for the opposite.

Make sure they are ugly signs. Use rotten wood, put some skunk smell on them, etc.

TheProfessor
09-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Constitutionally you should be covered. In reality, probably not. And there are far better ways to get back. Whoever thought of peacocks first is a genius :lol

Sense
09-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Fawk You?

PuttPutt
09-19-2009, 04:30 PM
As a mean but fun thing to do to her...would be to replace her gas cap on her car with a locking one & make sure you throw away the key. When it comes time for her to get gas....well...she's fucked.

(I know you don't want do do anything illegal. Just thought it's a good one to share)

It sucks that you are dealing with fools (mayor & neighbor)

Frenzy
09-19-2009, 06:55 PM
http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss58/hellofuckface2010/b2byard.jpg

:lol gotta feel sorry for the guy.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-20-2009, 01:40 AM
So, he clears his plot. Did you read the part about the area being completely surrounded by unmaintained public land, dry as a tinder box? Clearing his plot would be like attaching a life jacket to the Titanic, in terms of fire abatement. Did you read the part about his neighbor getting with him and asking him to take care of this before running off to the mayor? Neither did I....

Game on.

I read about it being surrounded by public land and the neighbour asking him to do something about it, but missed the reference to the mayor and the "tinder box" dryness. I also assumed there would be some sort of fire break between the lot and the scrub.

What I do know is that my mother lives next to an overgrown vacant lot that she can do nothing about because the owners live 3000miles away, and the council are too lazy to make a ruling on it, but she could be sued for doing anything. We're coming up to fire season and she is rightfully worried about it. I see some similarities in the situation, and thus can see it from the neighbour's perspective.

Look you fucking moron its not about cleaning up the lot. The problem lies in the fact that I'm scheduled to have it leveled in 45-60 days. Its going to cost me 2,200 to have it done and the Mayor gave me 20 days to clean it up. I politely informed them that the lot is in fact going to be taken care of if they could be so kind as to give a small extension so it wouldn't cost an extra couple of hundred dollars to have someone go out there early and put a pointless trim job on it only to have it bulldozed about a month later. I didn't blow him off and I'm not asking for too much. Its been sitting like that for 2 years and no one ever sent me a notice for shit.

Why do you fucking people have such a hard time understanding things. Did I complain about actually having the lot cleared.

ANSWER: NO

Its the fact that in a town of 3,400 people this assfuck Mayor can't give me an extra 20 or so days to same me and my family some much needed money. Ruling that town with an iron fist is fucking retarded. The only reason he's being an ass about it is because the neighbor keeps calling and bitching to him. I haven't touched that lot for over two years and all of a sudden its an issue. Well if he thought dealing with her before was bad.....welcome to the here and now because I'm going to drive her FUCKING CRAZY.

God damn you people don't understand shit.

....and yes I'm her only neighbor...she's surrounded by 8 foot weeds on all other corners including the lot across the street.

After going out there with the kids 4 or 5 times in the last 6 months to take measurements I'm thinking she's trying to raise some shit so I don't move in and wreck her quiet little corner.

Fair enough, but why not direct your anger at the mayor specifically? A general sign saying "fuck you" is going to make other people think it's directed at them, which helps no-one.

Also, my comment, if you read it again, was more directed at the general nastiness people were suggesting over what is really a minor issue - I mean, this is how feuds start, right?

You didn't mention that the lot has been sitting there like that for 2 years without complaint before, or the 8ft weeds surrounding your neighbour, either. In that case, I agree the mayor is being unreasonable.

Also, some anger management counseling might help... :lmao

BacktoBasics
09-21-2009, 08:04 AM
The entire mess is getting even more annoying. I thought I'd try and just calm down over the entire thing and bite the bullet and hire someone to do a light trim job until it gets leveled. Sent a guy out to take a look at it and give me an estimate. Well the dude goes out there, doesn't call me, doesn't give me a price and mows out half the lot. Then calls my wife to tell her he's done and wants payment. 350 bucks. I wouldn't have hired him for 350 bucks and I certainly wouldn't have had him do that much work. I would have just gone back to plan A and done it myself. Who the fuck just does work without giving someone a price.....I gave him 125 bucks and told him that I wasn't trying to screw him but I would never have had him do anything over a 100 bucks.

Never an end to the stupidity of people.

clambake
09-21-2009, 10:04 AM
you should have killed the mayor.

Cane
09-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Sounds like you're boned to me and lack people skills since you got a neighbor, mayor, and a blue collar worker on your ass. You've got two acres of land that you're about to clear - also sounds like you are relatively well off financially. Why not schedule the leveling earlier?

With a sign like that you're just trying to stir up more shit so little sympathy is going to be exercised when such shit continues to fall.

BacktoBasics
09-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Sounds like you're boned to me and lack people skills since you got a neighbor, mayor, and a blue collar worker on your ass. You've got two acres of land that you're about to clear - also sounds like you are relatively well off financially. Why not schedule the leveling earlier?

With a sign like that you're just trying to stir up more shit so little sympathy is going to be exercised when such shit continues to fall.First and foremost I don't see how you can say I lack people skills when all I requested was a small extension to complete the work. The Mayor was unreasonable at best.

So a lack of people skills excuses someone from coming on my property to give me a bid only to just knock out the work without my authorization and demand payment.

If you asked someone to come to your home and give you a bid for carpet installation. Would you lack people skills if they just helped themselves to doing the job without telling you how much and then demanding payment.

Don't be a fucking idiot.

CosmicCowboy
09-21-2009, 11:18 AM
They just wanted it cleaned up so they can raise your property taxes.

BacktoBasics
09-21-2009, 11:20 AM
They just wanted it cleaned up so they can raise your property taxes.Yeah I'm curious as to how the appraisal turns out for the construction loan. There's not much for comparison out there. Right now I pay less than 300 bucks a year. It'll be quite a jump.

Cane
09-21-2009, 11:52 AM
First and foremost I don't see how you can say I lack people skills when all I requested was a small extension to complete the work. The Mayor was unreasonable at best.

So a lack of people skills excuses someone from coming on my property to give me a bid only to just knock out the work without my authorization and demand payment.

If you asked someone to come to your home and give you a bid for carpet installation. Would you lack people skills if they just helped themselves to doing the job without telling you how much and then demanding payment.

Don't be a fucking idiot.

Evidence is stacking against you here unless the town has a conspiracy to get you. Calling people 'fucking idiots' only reinforces such.

BacktoBasics
09-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Evidence is stacking against you here unless the town has a conspiracy to get you. Calling people 'fucking idiots' only reinforces such.What evidence. I asked for an extension....didn't get one. Had a guy come out for a bid...he did the job without giving me a price. There is no fucking conspiracy asshole its just a shitty series of events with shitty people who could care less about how their actions affect others.

Oh wait I see your sig. Let me rephrase this in a way you can understand. This was all gods plan right. I see it now. He has my entire existence all preplanned and layed out for me to unknowingly execute these folly's only to repent and kneel before the Zod at the pearly gates of Neverwas. Take me in your arm baby jesus and show me the way to salvation so I can get away from dealing with all of life's randomly unrandom series of events. What....what is that baby jesus, you want me to kill the neighbor...but but thats murder and I could do time. I see I see sweet carpenter baby I'll do your devils work but only because I know the big man in cloud needs me.

I hope you let God into your life. He can save you.

Praise the lord.

marini martini
09-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Did you build the grotto or not???

BacktoBasics
09-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Did you build the grotto or not???

are you going to come over for a swim?

marini martini
09-21-2009, 02:20 PM
are you going to come over for a swim?

Grotto, not swim hole!!! Geez!!!:bang

BacktoBasics
09-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Grotto, not swim hole!!! Geez!!!:bangDon't get prissy with me lady.

marini martini
09-21-2009, 02:32 PM
A time to be born

A time to die...............................

OOOoops silly me wrong thread!!!

Slydragon
09-21-2009, 03:08 PM
If you do the peacock thing make sure you run a hidden camera so when she finally snaps and kills them thinking no one is watching you will have it on tape. You can then throw it on the news give it to peta and she will have a whole bunch of people giving her issues.

2Blonde
09-21-2009, 09:59 PM
hey...it's not illegal to play music while you work...if they call the cops just turn the music down when the cops get there. You've already fucked up your neighbors morning.

Just make sure that whatever you play has lots of Bass to it so that it'll shake their walls too!! That always ups to the irritation factor.:toast