PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Change Game In Order To Make Title Push

duncan228
09-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Spurs change game in order to make title push (http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=291569)
Tim Chisholm

Every basketball writer should be exhilarated about this Spurs' summer – they finally changed up their game plan going into next season!

No longer is it the tried-and-true story about how the Spurs are always a force to be reckoned with regardless of age or injury (or that they Spurs are washed up because the are too old and injured). Instead, the usually frugal San Antonio club wanted to make another bid for West Coast relevance, and they did so in a big way, seeing an unexpected opportunity to extend their window in a competitive Conference.

In '07-'08 the Western Conference looked positively loaded. Eight teams won fifty or more games that year, and a 48-win Golden State team was left out of the Playoff picture. Last season was supposed to be even more competitive with up-and-coming teams like the Clippers and Thunder making a name for themselves. However, what actually happened was that the bulk of the strongest teams (San Antonio included) floundered below expectations and the Conference as a whole took a step backward.

Injuries and inconsistencies plagued New Orleans, Utah, Dallas, Houston, Golden State, Phoenix and the Spurs and the West had only one real threat to the mighty Lakers in Denver. The weakened West inspired San Antonio to go all-in this summer, committing to a $10-million luxury tax bill, all in the name of trying for at least one more title before Tim Duncan hangs 'em up.

Despite all the bugaboo, though, the Spurs only grabbed three meaningful new pieces for their new season, and one of them (Antonio McDyess) is even older than Duncan is. However, in typical Spurs fashion, it isn't about the numbers or names that they brought in so much as the positions on the team that they filled.

Richard Jefferson, acquired from the Bucks on the eve of the Draft, gives the team a much-needed scorer and creator on the wing that will play in the starting lineup. With Manu Ginobili needing his minutes so heavily monitored to avoid injury, especially during the regular season, a player like Jefferson became a necessity to lessen the scoring burden on Duncan and Tony Parker. There were stretches last season when Ginobili was out that it was laughably easy to stop the Spurs from scoring, with the club averaging .457 shooting on the year – the first time in the Tim Duncan era that teams actually shot better against the Spurs (.463) than the Spurs shot themselves.

As nicely as Roger Mason and Michael Finley can play at times, this club needed an impact scorer in the worst way and they got one in Jefferson, who was a 20ppg scorer last season.

Once that spot was taken care of, the Spurs focused their attention on their frontcourt. The team had traded away centre Fabricio Oberto as part of the Jefferson package, leaving just Duncan and Matt Bonner to man the middle for the club. To fortify the position, the Spurs got a steal in the second round of the draft in rebounding machine DuJuan Blair and went on to sign McDyess later in the summer. This combination of players not only allows the Spurs to return Bonner to the bench after starting 67 games for them last year, but it gives the team an option to rest Duncan more after he burnt himself out in the first half of the season trying to keep his team competitive through injuries. With McDyess likely starting alongside Duncan and Blair and Bonner logging quality minutes in their stead the Spurs have a reasonable frontcourt rotation that should allow them to stay competitive without overusing Duncan in the process. They may not be the Lakers or the Celtics up front, but no team gets more from their assets than the Spurs do.

While one has to see how a guy like Jefferson responds to being put into such a disciplined club like the Spurs, and how much McDyess has left in the tank, the Spurs are a clearly improved team this season after tying for second in wins in the West last season (54 with Denver and Portland). Perhaps though the personnel has changed a bit, the same old chorus does still apply: the Spurs are always a force to be reckoned with regardless of age or injury and a newly beefed roster should only help with their consistent competitiveness.

PROBABLE STARTING LINEUP

PG – TONY PARKER (http://www.tsn.ca/nba/teams/players/bio/?id=438)

Parker had a career-year last season, going for over 20ppg for the first time as an NBAer while also getting his assists up to 6.9 per game – remarkable on a team where the offense tends to come from the system rather than one playmaker. He is still about as efficient at scoring from the guard position as anyone in the league at over 50% and his role on the Spurs becomes more important every year as Duncan and Ginobili go deeper into their 30's. Parker, though, will probably see his scoring dip a bit in the regular season in order to accommodate getting Jefferson enough looks in the offense, but come the Playoffs expect no one to supplant Parker as the driving force behind this team.

SG – ROGER MASON JR. (http://www.tsn.ca/nba/teams/players/bio/?id=697)

He was just another in a long list of under-the-radar moves by the Spurs that pay huge dividends on the court. A reliable outside shooter in Washington, Mason became an integral cog for the Spurs last year, nailing multiple game-winning shots and playing better-than-expected defense on several of the league's premier two-guards. Unfortunately for Mason and the Spurs, his production fell-off in the post-season and got fewer and fewer minutes as their lone series against Dallas wore on. As nice a piece as he was, his play did not prevent the club from realizing how badly they needed an upgrade on the wing, but that could count as a positive if Jefferson can be the shot in the arm that the Spurs needed to return to glory.

SF – RICHARD JEFFERSON (http://www.tsn.ca/nba/teams/players/bio/?id=423)

After being a mainstay in New Jersey for most of his career, Jefferson is now playing for his third team in as many years and is once again in a situation wholly different than the one he left. He'll need to be a quick study, though, because they Spurs anticipate his arrival thrusting them back to the upper-reaches of the Conference both in record and in status. He'll need to maintain an efficient scoring clip playing off of a Hall-of-Fame big man for the first time in his career while also offering Spurs-caliber defense at the other end to try and mitigate the loss of Bruce Bowen and his protιgι Ime Udoka this summer. A Parker-Ginobili-Jefferson-McDyess-Duncan lineup to finish games looks imposing on paper, but that's two large pieces to squeeze into a very tightly-knit threesome and their running the risk of having too many pieces to account for with such a configuration.

PF – TIM DUNCAN (http://www.tsn.ca/nba/teams/players/bio/?id=106)

Sure, he's really more of a centre, but he bristles at the notion and it really doesn't matter how he's listed – he's Tim Duncan, he's the greatest power forward of all time, who cares if his game resembles a center? He, like Robinson before him, has transitioned himself to a secondary role on this club with such ease and grace it's amazing to look back and see that it's happened. While he is still a dominating force in the paint, the hand-checking rules in the league, along with Duncan's age, have thrust Tony Parker to the forefront of this team. Parker scores more, with higher efficiency, and the ball is always in his hands in crunch time. Duncan, though, is the figurative anchor of this team and his willingness to step aside for Parker amply demonstrates why that is.

C – ANTONIO MCDYESS (http://www.tsn.ca/nba/teams/players/bio/?id=236)

When McDyess first signed with the Pistons in 2004 his ambition was clear; hook his trailer up to the truck that just one the NBA Championship in an attempt to get a ring for himself. Five years of disappointment, though, and he's moved his quest west to the next best thing to the Lakers. He brings such consistency and intelligence to the game that it's amazing that he never found himself here before. He'll fit perfectly into what the Spurs like to do, especially with his ability to play the pick-and-pop with Parker by hitting a mid-range jumper, and his defense at 35-years-old is still nothing to laugh at. However, unless this club has some heretofore unseen means for unseating the Lakers next spring, McDyess's quest for a trophy may go unfulfilled for another year.

Spursfan092120
09-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Starting Dyess...I love it...I am so freaking excited right now, it's ridiculous.

Bender
09-18-2009, 01:40 PM
40 more days!!

2 months ago, the days were flying by... now they are dragging by... :(

Muser
09-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Ime Udoka was Bowens Protege?

Otaku
09-18-2009, 02:11 PM
I think Manu will start most of the games this season, perhaps not at the very beginning but will switch to starter sooner or later.

z0sa
09-18-2009, 02:11 PM
I think Manu will start most of the games this season, perhaps not at the very beginning but will switch to starter sooner or later.

Unless they decide RJ is coming off the bench, I doubt it.

Obstructed_View
09-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Ime Udoka was Bowens Protege?

He was brought in to be, with his ability to hit three pointers, his ability to defend and his size. Nobody anticipated that he would regress so badly last season. In fact, he regressed so much that we're reminding ourselves now of the potential he came to the Spurs with, because it seems so long ago that he was decent.

portnoy1
09-18-2009, 02:25 PM
PG -Parker / Hill
SG - Mason Jr. / Manu
SF - RJ / Rotate between Finley and Hairston to find someone solid
PF - Mcdyess / Blair and Haislip if he is really all that.
C - Duncan / Rotate between Mahimni / Ratliff

The spurs have a nice group to work with.
If they wanna go small they can have Parker / Hill / Manu / Haislip / Duncan.
If they wanna go big they can have Manu / RJ / Haislip /Duncan / Ratliff

and they have 1 big man for the post ( Duncan ) 2 Wing creators ( Parker / RJ ) and 2 jumpshooters to space the floor ( Mason Jr. / Mcdyess ). And then off the bench you have 1 main gun / creator ( Manu ) a creator / perimeter defender ( Hill ) a rebounder ( Blair ) and a combo Forward ( Haislip ) to spread the floor and cause or defend against matchup problems cause he is an athletic 6-10. if you add that to a better offensive system and more athleticism / understanding to defense the spurs look good.:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

manufan10
09-18-2009, 02:30 PM

I don't think so. That means bringing either Mason or Jefferson off the bench. If you say Mason, then all you have to do is look back to last year and see that Mason was much more effective when he started games. Jefferson is going to start to help take the load off of Duncan and Ginobili. Ginobili brings the intensity and fire that the Spurs need of the bench. I see Manu coming in as the 6th man again.

EricB
09-18-2009, 02:30 PM
He was brought in to be, with his ability to hit three pointers, his ability to defend and his size. Nobody anticipated that he would regress so badly last season. In fact, he regressed so much that we're reminding ourselves now of the potential he came to the Spurs with, because it seems so long ago that he was decent.

Well put.

His potential was exciting for a bit there especially during the Hornets series...

EricB
09-18-2009, 02:31 PM
I don't think so. That means bringing either Mason or Jefferson off the bench. If you say Mason, then all you have to do is look back to last year and see that Mason was much more effective when he started games. Jefferson is going to start to help take the load off of Duncan and Ginobili. Ginobili brings the intensity and fire that the Spurs need of the bench. I see Manu coming in as the 6th man again.

Well put and thats what needs to be done.

tlongII
09-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Personally I don't see the Spurs being better than a 4 or 5 seed. They don't have enough size and they're too injury prone.

EricB
09-18-2009, 02:47 PM
The attention whore has returned.

manufan10
09-18-2009, 02:50 PM
I can't believe the Blazers chose Greg Oden! This is like the Sam Bowie thing all over again. :depressed

TIMMYD!
09-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Personally I don't see the Spurs being better than a 4 or 5 seed. They don't have enough size and they're too injury prone.

Greg Oden blows he didn't deserve to be the top pick.:flipoff

wildbill2u
09-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Is everyone OK with McD playing starter's minutes> He played about 30mpg the last two years but before that from 2001 - 20006 he was only playing about 21.

I guess Detroit didn't have much choice with Big Ben gone. But they weren't exactly a powerhouse the last couple of years.

ginobili fan
09-18-2009, 05:03 PM
we need blair being the x factor to win .
I'm really looking forward Blair's season. Can't wait.

TDMVPDPOY
09-18-2009, 05:21 PM
If blair can product like what prime malik rose can for his rookie season...ftw

Spursfan092120
09-18-2009, 05:28 PM
I have a naked picture of Greg Oden on my wall above my bed.

WildcardManu
09-19-2009, 01:10 PM

:lol

Macca76
09-19-2009, 01:39 PM
I have the same nightmare every night : we get the 1st pick and we pick Greg Oden instead of Kevin Durant.

SouthernFried
09-19-2009, 08:05 PM
All I am wondering is...

Where's the defense?

TIMMYD!
09-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Defense

TIMMYD!
09-19-2009, 08:20 PM

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

Samr
09-19-2009, 08:40 PM

When thinking of Udoka, I'm reminded of Oden. I mean, the guy came to the league with so much potential....

Kori Ellis
09-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Is everyone OK with McD playing starter's minutes> He played about 30mpg the last two years but before that from 2001 - 20006 he was only playing about 21.

I guess Detroit didn't have much choice with Big Ben gone. But they weren't exactly a powerhouse the last couple of years.

I think he'll start but not play 30 mpg. Probably closer to 25. They will try to get Blair 20 mpg and Bonner will get his fair share of minutes on the frontline too. (And Mahinmi, if he ever really plays.)

completely deck
09-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Blair 20 mpg

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/733/emotlove.gif

mosdef17
09-19-2009, 10:06 PM
I always assumed the Dyce would start, I don't know why it is coming as such a surprise revelation from this article. I think the breakdown in minutes at center will probably be something like this:

McDyess (start) 26mins per.
Bonner 12mins per.
Duncan 7mins per.
Ratliff/Mahinmi 3mins per.

Something roughly like that will be our C rotation. I don't like Bonner playing that much, I just think it's what will happen. Before some people go nuts, Duncan will get his other 26mins from the PF position. PF will probably be something like this:

Duncan (start) 26mins per.
Blair 17mins per.
Haislip 5mins per.

DPG21920
09-19-2009, 11:26 PM
I don't get why everyone gets so mad a tlong for his last comment? Sure, he says his fair share of homer/inflammatory comments, but this one is not far fetched.

Lakers win their division with the best record in the West
Denver or Portland wins their division
Dallas and/or NO have a better record than the Spurs and one of them wins the division

This is not a far fetched scenario and if that happens, the Spurs could easily wind up the 4th or 5th seed.

Gutter92
09-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Haha that was funny how they quote-owned him.

Seventyniner
09-20-2009, 12:07 AM
I don't get why everyone gets so mad a tlong for his last comment? Sure, he says his fair share of homer/inflammatory comments, but this one is not far fetched.

Lakers win their division with the best record in the West
Denver or Portland wins their division
Dallas and/or NO have a better record than the Spurs and one of them wins the division

This is not a far fetched scenario and if that happens, the Spurs could easily wind up the 4th or 5th seed.

The Spurs fan/homer logic is that the Spurs tied for the 2nd best record in the West last year, even with all the injuries. Now with the new additions and a healthy Manu, they should challenge the Lakers for the #1 spot.

I think it's somewhere in between. I'll predict the Lakers winning 61 games, the Spurs 58, and Dallas as the #3 seed with 56 wins.

SpursFan0728
09-20-2009, 12:10 AM
All I am wondering is...

Where's the defense?

Pop :pop:

bigbendbruisebrother
09-20-2009, 12:54 PM

I agree, and I think that we're going to see Manu's minutes micro-managed. He's just to fragile to start and play for extended periods. He needs to come in, go apeshit for 6 minutes or so and then sit his ass down before he blows out an ankle.

DPG21920
09-20-2009, 01:42 PM
The Spurs fan/homer logic is that the Spurs tied for the 2nd best record in the West last year, even with all the injuries. Now with the new additions and a healthy Manu, they should challenge the Lakers for the #1 spot.

I think it's somewhere in between. I'll predict the Lakers winning 61 games, the Spurs 58, and Dallas as the #3 seed with 56 wins.

True, but you have to keep in mind a few things:

Yes, the Spurs did well despite the injuries, but their record was over inflated imo. They won a lot of games in the last few moments and that does not normally happen.

Also, even though the Spurs tied for the second best record, it was a 3 way tie. Plus there was another team within 1 game of those 3.

I don't care where the Spurs finish (the higher the better usually). As long as they are healthy and relatively fresh, I will be happy.

Bukefal
09-20-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm really looking forward Blair's season. Can't wait.

Yeah, me too, Im looking forward seeing him play.

Ginobili wont start, thats not a good option for the spurs

21_Blessings
09-20-2009, 06:13 PM

:lol :lol :lol This thread is hilarious.

The key to San Antonio's championship: Overweight rookie with no ACLs and a closet homosexual shooting forward that lives with Luke Walton in the summer.

:flag:

tlongII
09-20-2009, 08:21 PM

If the Lakers win 61 games I guarantee that the Blazers will have the best record in the Western Conference. Portland will win 62-64.

tlongII
09-20-2009, 08:22 PM
If Blair is playing 20 mins per game he won't last past the All Star break.

Ditty
09-20-2009, 08:48 PM

lmao

blair>oden

Agloco
09-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Spurs change game in order to make title push (http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=291569)
Tim Chisholm

Despite all the bugaboo, though, the Spurs only grabbed three meaningful new pieces for their new season.........,

How dumb is this statement?

Perhaps turning over the entire roster would have been a better course?

Agloco
09-21-2009, 10:30 AM

Blazer fans know a thing or two about draft picks not making it past the All Star Break.

tlongII
09-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Blazer fans know a thing or two about draft picks not making it past the All Star Break.

At least you admit I'm an authority on the subject!

DaBears
09-21-2009, 01:28 PM
S owhen did Ime Bounce, not that it really matters he never did much here anyways. Way to inconsistant. That brings me to Bonner where does he fit in all this? are we already benching him and making him the 3rd stringer or do we put him in a 2nd string....

NFGIII
09-21-2009, 01:55 PM

:lol

It's unfortunate that the Blazers picked 2 C's - Bowie and Oden - that didn't/haven't lived up to the hype.

How much fun would it be to watch the Blazers if they had picked Durant instead of Oden? Just not enough ball to go around though.

Agloco
09-22-2009, 03:25 PM

Touche. :toast

How's Glass Oden looking for this year? Will he get in 41 games at least?

Morg1411
09-22-2009, 03:35 PM

That has to be stupidest thing I've read today.

Oh, wait...

:lol :lol :lol This thread is hilarious.

The key to San Antonio's championship: Overweight rookie with no ACLs and a closet homosexual shooting forward that lives with Luke Walton in the summer.

:flag:

Nevermind...

Brazil
09-22-2009, 03:40 PM

:lol I loved it

Brazil
09-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Apparently I won a flag.