PDA

View Full Version : 5 Players I Love To Hate, But I’d Still Want Them On My Team

duncan228
09-18-2009, 01:56 PM
5 Players I Love to Hate, But I’d Still Want Them on My Team (http://dimemag.com/2009/09/5-players-i-love-to-hate-but-i%E2%80%99d-still-want-them-on-my-team/)
By Ben York
Dime

When Bruce Bowen retired (http://dimemag.com/2009/09/bruce-bowen-announces-retirement/), I became fraught with emotion.

On one hand, I absolutely couldn’t wait for that dude to get the heck out of the League so I’d never have to see or hear about him again; nobody puts Baby Steve Nash in a corner or knees him in the gonads on my watch (http://dimemag.com/2009/09/the-sneaky-dirty-top-10/). However, I also couldn’t help thinking that if I were a Spurs fan (I’m laughing as I type this since I can’t say that with a straight face), I’d be pretty bummed that Bowen is no longer on my team.

This led to an enlightenment of sorts – are there any players that I (from a fan perspective) can’t stand, but would welcome them with open arms on my favorite team? Well, apparently there are, and here are my top 5.

5. Dirk Nowitzki - It’s impossible to count the number of times when I’ve looked at Dirk Nowitzki and wanted to punch him in the Hassellhoff. However, there is no getting around how brilliant of a player he is and the sick things he is able to do on the basketball court. The guy has unparalleled offensive skills for his size, is a genuinely good person, and I’d absolutely love him if he were a member of my team.

4. Kevin Garnett - I’ve never been a big fan of KG and his supposed “leadership” abilities. Anytime you pick a fight with someone who is a foot smaller than you and clap your hands in their face, you lose a little of my respect. Though, the guy plays his ass off every single night, and puts a major focus on the defensive end of the floor. Something that, as a Suns fan, I have a tremendous of respect for.

3. Pau Gasol - Pau is such an easy player to dislike. The way he so annoyingly pounds his chest after a fierce lay-up, the way he grimaces to apparently show that he’s ‘tough’, and…well…just the way he looks. But the guy has proven to be a clutch player, and easily makes everyone around him better while consistently playing hard. Yes, he’s nauseating, but his all-around game is ridiculously good and would fit in well with any style of play.

2. Tim Duncan - This really shouldn’t be that much of a surprise. I don’t care what team you’re a fan of; there is simply no justifiable reason why you wouldn’t want Tim Duncan on your team. He’s the greatest power forward to ever play the damn game. Even though he thinks he hasn’t fouled anyone ever, I can’t help but admire his silent passion for winning and doing so with honor and character. To be as consistent as he is, night in and night out, is awe-inspiring. I also love that he lives a simple lifestyle, and leads by example. I’d take Timmy anytime.

1. Manu Ginobili - This one physically hurts me. I actually think my nose is now bleeding. It goes against every fiber of my being, every value I’ve ever held true, and is a virtual sin against all Suns fans across the world. However, you can’t honestly tell me that if he were on your team you wouldn’t love the dude. Yes, he makes it so easy to find ways to dislike him; whether it be the large bald spot, the tears he sheds after ever drive to the basket, and the amount of heartache he’s probably caused your team there certainly isn’t a shortage of reasons to hate on Manu. But, the way he plays with such passion, heart, and fervor is remarkable. Isn’t that what you’d truly want in a player? I respect someone who goes all out every game much more than another player who is more talented and half-asses it. As much as it pains me to say it, its official, I’d take Baldy on the Suns.

What players can you not stand, but would love them if they were on your favorite team?

Bender
09-18-2009, 02:11 PM
2. Chris Paul — His flopping game is also on-point, and don’t forget the Julius Hodge incident.

what's the "Hodge incident"?

Mel_13
09-18-2009, 02:15 PM
What a surprising list, SunsFan hates TD, Manu and Bruce.

manufan10
09-18-2009, 02:21 PM
So the guy hates Ginobili because he has a bald spot? I think his list is of sour grapes if you ask me.

Libri
09-18-2009, 02:23 PM

Exactly. Horry, if he was still playing, would also be on his list. That would make four Spurs.

manufan10
09-18-2009, 02:23 PM
5. Kevin Garnett
4. Pau Gasol
3. Ray Allen
2. Dirk Nowitzki
1. Kobe Bryant

duncan228
09-18-2009, 02:36 PM

I'm not positive, but I think it's this.

Paul will miss ACC quarterfinal game (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2007240)
ESPN.com
March 10, 2005

Wake Forest sophomore guard Chris Paul was suspended Monday for one game for throwing a punch at NC State's Julius Hodge that landed below the belt in the first half of Sunday night's game in Raleigh.

Paul wasn't issued a foul on the play, but television replays showed the punch later, prompting the school to suspend Paul. Paul will practice with the team all week and be on the bench for the Demon Deacons' quarterfinal game in the ACC tournament Friday against either NC State or Florida State, which play in a first-round game on Thursday.

Shifty
09-18-2009, 04:29 PM
For me it's hard to make such a list because if I actually hate someone then I would not love to have them on my team. It would be easy to find relatively equal talent with a better attitude.

mazerrackham
09-18-2009, 04:40 PM
For me it's hard to make such a list because if I actually hate someone then I would not love to have them on my team. It would be easy to find relatively equal talent with a better attitude.

So your telling me it's easy to find relatively equal talent to Pau Gasol, Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant........

I get what your point is, but it's not easy to find relatively equal talent to really anyone on the lists proposed.

Old School 44
09-18-2009, 04:57 PM
1. Dirk
2. Kobe
3. Carmelo
4. Gasol
5. Sheed

Guys I wouldn't want no matter their talent.

1. Terry
2. Lebron
3. KG
4. AI
5. KMart

Samr
09-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Nick Van Exel, Damon Stoudemire, Dennis Rodman, McDysse..... oh wait.....

(My former hatred for McD started when I was very very young, first attending games. I was like 8 or 9. For this reason, I do not remember why it was that I disliked him. On the Pistons, I really liked his game, but I just couldn't shake that "hate him because something in you says you should" thing. Anyone remember what he did early in his career to earn such disdain?)

Ginobilly
09-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Nick Van Exel, Damon Stoudemire, Dennis Rodman, McDysse..... oh wait.....

(My former hatred for McD started when I was very very young, first attending games. I was like 8 or 9. For this reason, I do not remember why it was that I disliked him. On the Pistons, I really liked his game, but I just couldn't shake that "hate him because something in you says you should" thing. Anyone remember what he did early in his career to earn such disdain?)

How could you hate Dysse? The guy is basically DRob 2.0!

Allanon
09-18-2009, 05:34 PM

How did you miss the Hodge incident? haha

9F3tptzEWmM

And here's a classic Ernie, Kenny and Chuck moment.
http://www.noob.us/humor/reggie-evans-violates-chris-kaman/

spursfan1000
09-18-2009, 05:43 PM
5. Chris Paul
4.Josh Howard
3.Dirk Nowitzki
2.Amare Stoudemire
1.Kobe Bryant

manufan10
09-18-2009, 05:54 PM
How did you miss the Hodge incident? haha

9F3tptzEWmM

And here's a classic Ernie, Kenny and Chuck moment.
http://www.noob.us/humor/reggie-evans-violates-chris-kaman/

:lmao

That's as much action as Kaman has ever seen.

Shifty
09-18-2009, 07:07 PM
So your telling me it's easy to find relatively equal talent to Pau Gasol, Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant........

I get what your point is, but it's not easy to find relatively equal talent to really anyone on the lists proposed.

I knew I had to elaborate on that. Well, first I would have to hate those players. Fortunately that is not necessarily the case. Most players I hate is because they are overrated and there are better options than them or although they have the talent, overall team success is better off without them. However, even if I would hate someone like LeBron (which I'm starting to dislike rather quickly), I would prefer not to have him and give it a go with less talented but more likeable players. How can you enjoy having your team win if you hate your players guts? I'd be better falling short with guys I like.

BWS-1994
09-18-2009, 07:08 PM
I think hate is too strong... But I'd welcome these players, who often cause problems or heart/head aches to SA join, the Spurs almost anytime:

5. Yao Ming
4. Dwight Howard
3. Chris Paul
2. Dirk Nowitzki
1. Kobe Bryant

benefactor
09-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Penis envy forum.

polysylab1k
09-18-2009, 08:08 PM
The author is a Suns fan IMHO. :wakeup Or cavs fan, Magic fan, Hawks fan, Cheat fan... or he isn't a basketball fan at all?

Samr
09-18-2009, 09:12 PM
How could you hate Dysse? The guy is basically DRob 2.0!

I know. I'm not sure why either. But until he joined the Spurs, I didn't like him. I'm not sure what that dislike was based upon -- he played well and fair and he was a character guy -- but I do know I've grown up disliking him. Maybe it was something he did to a Spur when he was younger? I'm not sure. I forget, and it is completely irrational dislike.

Of course now, I think he hung the moon.

Xylus
09-21-2009, 02:51 AM
I'd love to have Manu on my team.

Kobe Bryant is crossing the line, though. I don't care how good he is, I'd like basketball a lot less if I had to root for that fuck.

TMTTRIO
09-21-2009, 09:09 PM
I think it's interesting that nobody really hated Manu or complained about his flopping or him being the King of floppers until George Karl really opened his big mouth during the playoffs where Manu still torched them. Ever since then that's all you ever hear about Manu.

B-Hath
09-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Ray Allen. He comes off as a stupendous douche, but he's as cold-blooded a shooter as they come.

Biggems
09-22-2009, 09:50 PM
5 guys I hate that I would want on my team.......hmmm this is a hard one

In no particular order

Derek Fisher
Pau Gasol
Paul Pierce
Shane Battier
OJ Mayo

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Ray Allen. He comes off as a stupendous douche, but he's as cold-blooded a shooter as they come.

I'd really like to know why he "comes off as a stupendous douche"? So many people hate on Ray Allen, but I've never understood why. Sure, he complained about Bowen, but then Bruce has ridden the line of dirty play (I'll get flamed for this, but I think he did tunnel VC when he hurt his ankle), and I hardly think that's a reason to hate on Allen because if we all hated on everyone who has complained about Bruce we'd be hating half the league. Do people hate Allen because he's obviously intelligent and has principles? Anti-intellectualism is en vogue at the moment.

For me, it's Kobe. I could never support that guy. If he became a Spur I don't know what I'd do... thank fuck that's never going to happen.

coyotes_geek
09-22-2009, 10:06 PM
For me, it's Kobe. I could never support that guy. If he became a Spur I don't know what I'd do... thank fuck that's never going to happen.

I know what I'd do. Take the trophy, argue that we still could have won it without him and look forward to having the same debate next year.

TIMMYD!
09-22-2009, 10:19 PM
5.Chris Paul
4.Dirk Nowitzki
3.Dwight Howard
2.Kevin Garnett
1.Kobe Bryant

Danny.Zhu
09-22-2009, 10:19 PM

Agreed. I would rather my team sucks without the players I don't like.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-22-2009, 10:36 PM
I know what I'd do. Take the trophy, argue that we still could have won it without him and look forward to having the same debate next year.

Good reply! :lol

Stringer_Bell
09-23-2009, 08:32 PM
For my list of those I'd boo directly in their faces from a court side seat when playing against the Spurs, yet cheer them loudly if playing for the Spurs, my list was pretty much set until this off-season...

1. McDyess
2. Kobe
3. Pau
4. Dirk
5. Billups

I'm pretty sure I hated McDyess more than Kobe, and previous to that Kurt Thomas was my most hated. I suspect that whoever takes the top spot during this next season will join the Spurs at some point in their career.

DPG21920
09-23-2009, 08:47 PM

Easily.

bostonguy
09-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Lebron
Melo

baseline bum
09-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Dirk Nowitzki, Pao Gasol, Derek Fisher, Kevin Garnett, and Joe Johnson would be my top 5.

bostonguy
09-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Delonte West
Shaq
JJ Hickson

HarlemHeat37
09-23-2009, 11:02 PM
I wouldn't take Kobe, but I understand why others would..I just can't cheer for a person like that, it would be the same as cheering for Michael Vick..that's just the way I view sports though, my personal preference..

#1. Lebron James..
#2. Pau Gasol(even though he's a racist)..
#3. Chris Paul..
#4. Dirk Nowitzki..
#5. Paul Pierce..

sananspursfan21
09-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Derek Fisher, Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, Steve Nash, Josh Howard

Darkwaters
09-25-2009, 11:18 AM
No Robert Horry on the Suns?

lennyalderette
09-25-2009, 02:15 PM
well im really starting to hate the way gasol is acting recently but here it goes
pau gasol
dwayne wade (favorite one)
dirk
kg
battier