PDA

View Full Version : Cavs' Delonte West Arrested On Weapons Charges

duncan228
09-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Cavs' West Arrested on Weapons Charges (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-cavswestarrestedonwe&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

Cleveland Cavaliers guard Delonte West was arrested Thursday night near his offseason home in Maryland for possession of two handguns and a shotgun.

According to WUSA-TV9 in Washington, West was stopped on Interstate 495 for unsafe lane changing on his motorcycle, and officers found the three guns. A Prince Georges County police official said that West, who was cooperative, was released on personal recognizance. He is scheduled to appear in court on Nov. 20.

Phenomanul
09-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Some players just don't seem to get it...

2Cleva
09-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Delonte West, a guard for the Cleveland Cavaliers, was driving a three-wheeled motorcycle north on Interstate 95 near Route 214 in the Largo area when he cut off a Prince George's County police officer, authorities said. The officer pulled him over, and West told the officer that he was carrying a handgun in his waistband.

That prompted the officer to call for backup, and investigators found that West was actually carrying three guns: a Beretta 9mm in his waistband, a Ruger .357 strapped to his leg and a shotgun in a guitar case slung over his back, said Maj. Andy Ellis, a spokesman for the Prince George's County Police Department.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/18/AR2009091802528.html

PDcavsinsider: Also, apparently he was pulled over after cutting off a police cruiser on the highway. All guns were loaded.

duncan228
09-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the info 2Cleva. It's even worse than it sounded.

Muser
09-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Holy shit.

Thunder Dan
09-18-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm blaming Obama. If he wasn't President this would be a non story

boutons_deux
09-18-2009, 03:28 PM
"Beretta 9mm in his waistband, a Ruger .357 strapped to his leg and a shotgun in a guitar case slung over his back"

just going clubbin, huh?

or maybe a health scare rally?

lurker
09-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Maybe that's why his ass was so paranoid when he heard the cops during his KFC freestyle.

TimDunkem
09-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Maybe that's why his ass was so paranoid when he heard the cops during his KFC freestyle.
:lol
http://hoboken411.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/hoboken-police-car-animated-sm.gif

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Sounds like he was going for an El Mariachi sort of thing.

Culburn369
09-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Going openly heeled is quite common in AZ. But, its open season with any "casual" event with law enforcement (DPS officers especially). It can be all over before one even realizes it. You are fair game.

The Franchise
09-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Why did he tell the cop about the guns? Just take the ticket and get the hell out of there.

Culburn369
09-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Why did he tell the cop about the guns? Just take the ticket and get the hell out of there.

Good point. Americans (especially men) can never STFU.

baseline bum
09-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Perhaps he had just bought them. Not a lot of other places to put them when riding a bike.

Shank
09-18-2009, 04:33 PM
You gotta keep strapped so women don't beat your ass anymore.

iggypop123
09-18-2009, 04:34 PM
a suspension is sure to come?

Spursfan092120
09-18-2009, 04:36 PM
It's actually very smart of him to tell the officer. I have two members of my family who are officers in one respect or another. If you tell the officer about the guns, and aren't licensed to have them, your punishment will be less than if they find them on you and you didn't tell them.

BRHornet45
09-18-2009, 04:38 PM
thuggin n buggin yall

JamStone
09-18-2009, 04:54 PM
"Ocifer, I'm strapped, you better slow ya role
Let me go, son, before my KFC gets cold
I aint tryina be bossy so don't come at me bitchy
Yakna Delonte loves his bucket of extra crispy."

Allanon
09-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Seriously, where the hell are you gonna go and need 3 guns?

1 gun, sure, that's normal.. 2 guns, maybe it's a real rough neighborhood. But damn, wtf can you legally do that requires 3 guns?

BlackSwordsMan
09-18-2009, 05:26 PM
another black man in america arrested on trumped up charges

duncan228
09-18-2009, 05:37 PM
NBA star Delonte West arrested on weapons charges (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-cavaliers-westarrest&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Cleveland Cavaliers guard Delonte West was arrested Thursday after officers pulled him over for speeding on a motorcycle while carrying two loaded handguns and a loaded shotgun in a guitar case.

Prince George’s County police spokeswoman Sgt. Michelle Reedy said Friday the Cleveland Cavaliers player was arrested about 10 p.m. Thursday.

Reedy said West was riding a Can-Am Spyder motorcycle north on the Capital Beltway in Upper Marlboro when he cut off an officer, who pulled him over.

Police said a handgun was found in his pocket, another in his pant leg and a shotgun in a guitar case strapped to his back.

Reedy said West “was very cooperative, there were no issues” during the incident.

The 26-year-old West, who lives in Brandywine, was charged with speeding and weapons counts. It is illegal to carry concealed weapons and to transport loaded guns in Maryland, according to police. Reedy said West was released on his own recognizance early Friday.

Cavaliers general manager Danny Ferry said the team was monitoring the situation.

“We have been in communication with Delonte and his family,” Ferry said in a statement. “We are gathering more information and will not have further comment until the appropriate time.”

Online court records did not list an attorney for West.

Last year, West left the Cavaliers’ training camp to seek treatment for depression and a “mood disorder” he said he has battled his entire life. At the time, he said he was taking medication and attending therapy sessions. West said his mood problems date to his childhood.

West has said his mood swings seem to be most erratic when his life seems to be in order.

spursfan1000
09-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Sucks for him that he will most likely get a suspension.

Culburn369
09-18-2009, 05:48 PM
"It is illegal to carry concealed weapons and to transport loaded guns in Maryland, according to police."

Not according to the Second Amendment, but, that's been thoroughly trashed.

JamStone
09-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Does Delonte hang out with Terrelle Pryor?

If so, watch out for that guy.

mingus
09-18-2009, 06:06 PM
he must've just seen the end of taxi driver...

on a serious note... he must've been taking them somewhere. i doubt he was just carrying them for protection. as long as he concealed them i don't see the problem... what's stupid is that he was driving like a moron and cut off a cop. you'd think with that amount of firearms you'd be more cautious.

Kobayagi
09-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Don't these guys have some sort of contract clause forbidding them to ride motorcycles? I mean...you make millions playing basketball, why would you want to risk it all by riding a motorcycle?

Culburn369
09-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Don't these guys have some sort of contract clause forbidding them to ride motorcycles? I mean...you make millions playing basketball, why would you want to risk it all by riding a motorcycle?

....or, risk it all playing in international barnstorming tours. Neither risk makes a lick of sense.

Allanon
09-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Don't these guys have some sort of contract clause forbidding them to ride motorcycles?

Actually, you're right, they do have contract clauses forbidding them to ride motorcycles/ATV's, 2 wheeled vehicles, etc.

Monte Ellis could have had his contract voided when he had his scooter accident but the Warriors decided to suspend him without pay instead.

duncan228
09-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Actually, you're right, they do have contract clauses forbidding them to ride motorcycles/ATV's, 2 wheeled vehicles, etc.

12.OTHER ATHLETIC ACTIVITIES.
The Player and the Team acknowledge and agree that the Player's participation in certain other activities may impair or destroy his ability and skill as a basketball player, and the Player's participation in any game or exhibition of basketball other than at the request of the Team may result in injury to him. Accordingly, the Player agrees that he will not, without the written consent of the Team, engage in any activity that a reasonable person would recognize as involving or exposing the participant to a substantial risk of bodily injury including, but not limited to: (i) sky-diving, hang gliding, snow skiing, rock or mountain climbing (as distinguished from hiking), rappelling, and bungee jumping; (ii) any fighting, boxing, or wrestling; (iii) driving or riding on a motorcycle or moped; (iv) riding in or on any motorized vehicle in any kind of race or racing contest; (v) operating an aircraft of any kind; (vi) engaging in any other activity excluded or prohibited by or under any insurance policy which the Team procures against the injury, illness or disability to or of the Player, or death of the Player, for which the Player has received written notice from the Team prior to the execution of this Contract; or (vii) participating in any game or exhibition of basketball, football, baseball, hockey, lacrosse, or other team sport or competition. If the Player violates this Paragraph 12, he shall be subject to discipline imposed by the Team and/or the Commissioner of the NBA. Nothing contained herein shall be intended to require the Player to obtain the written consent of the Team in order to enable the Player to participate in, as an amateur, the sports of golf, tennis, handball, swimming, hiking, softball, volleyball, and other similar sports that a reasonable person would not recognize as involving or exposing the participant to a substantial risk of bodily injury.

http://www.nbpa.org/cba_exhibits/exhibitA.php

Hornets1
09-18-2009, 06:42 PM
I can't stand Delonte West. Talk like a gay thug and looks like he has been grafitied.

sonic21
09-18-2009, 07:03 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b272/vinnymac707/termwest.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
09-18-2009, 07:06 PM
is going to get a gun tatoo on his chest?

redzero
09-18-2009, 07:11 PM
El Mariciachi up in this mother...

Samr
09-18-2009, 09:30 PM
When I saw "got arrested riding a motorcycle" I started laughing. No matter what "example setting" has happened in the past, these guys appear oblivious. It's like they don't read the front page of ESPN. "Monta Ellis, who sprained his twat riding a moped, was suspended for 16 games (or whatever) after breaching his contract which forbade such activities".... Now, as a person similarly employed, it takes little extension of logic to also assume that YOU are forbidden from such activities as well. And if you do partake in them, might you face similar consequences?

Then I read that he cut off a cop.... how BLIND do you have to be to not see a police officer DIRECTLY BEHIND YOU? When I see a cop, even if I'm going the speed limit, I still instinctively tap the breaks. And if that cop is behind me, I ALWAYS make sure to give him several car lengths before I put on my turn signal and merge into his lane. I thought this was common practice? Isn't it common courtesy for other drivers? Common sense? I'll give you credit, West, you do have some balls.

Then I read that he was armed to the teeth like he was going to a historical re-enactment of the last stand at the Battle of Thermopylae.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This sounds like a piece The Onion might write. Don't send him to jail; send him to high school. I was gut laughing before I even finished the piece on SI.com.

mogrovejo
09-18-2009, 09:36 PM
I've always said he was a shooting-guard and not a PG.

The details are delicious: a three-wheeled motorcycle and guns strapped to his leg, waistband and a shotgun in a guitar case slung over his back. I think he likes anime movies action heros a bit too much.

Chieflion
09-18-2009, 09:38 PM
When I saw "got arrested riding a motorcycle" I started laughing. No matter what "example setting" has happened in the past, these guys appear oblivious. It's like they don't read the front page of ESPN. "Monta Ellis, who sprained his twat riding a moped, was suspended for 16 games (or whatever) after breaching his contract which forbade such activities".... Now, as a person similarly employed, it takes little extension of logic to also assume that YOU are forbidden from such activities as well. And if you do partake in them, might you face similar consequences?

Then I read that he cut off a cop.... how BLIND do you have to be to not see a police officer DIRECTLY BEHIND YOU? When I see a cop, even if I'm going the speed limit, I still instinctively tap the breaks. And if that cop is behind me, I ALWAYS make sure to give him several car lengths before I put on my turn signal and merge into his lane. I thought this was common practice? Isn't it common courtesy for other drivers? Common sense? I'll give you credit, West, you do have some balls.

Then I read that he was armed to the teeth like he was going to a historical re-enactment of the last stand at the Battle of Thermopylae.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This sounds like a piece The Onion might write. Don't send him to jail; send him to high school. I was gut laughing before I even finished the piece on SI.com.
I am sure that they are allowed to drive those 3-wheeled bikes. This incident looks like a 3-5 game suspension to me.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-18-2009, 09:39 PM
I really want to know where he was going... it sounds like he was going to regulate! Regulators, mount up! :lol

Seriously though, in the second story it mentions his depression, and how he tends to go a bit crazy when everything is going smoothly in his life. I know at least two people like that who get themselves in trouble every time things are going well for them. Sounds to me like he needed some drama. If that's the case, I feel sorry for the guy. Mental illnesses like chronic depression and anxiety disorder are no picnic.

Samr
09-18-2009, 09:48 PM
I am sure that they are allowed to drive those 3-wheeled bikes. This incident looks like a 3-5 game suspension to me.

If I remember correctly, those are actually MORE dangerous. It makes sense; at high speeds, they are more likely to flip (think of how you turn a motorcycle vs a three-wheeler). Also, more weight = more weight coming down on top of you if you high-side.

They're better for people like me with balance issues, but that aside, they are I believe substantially more dangerous.

I didn't know he was riding a three-wheeler. I thought it was a motorcycle. But, that doesn't make it any less stupid. Arguably, more in fact.

Idiot.

Man he made tonight just awesome. Here I was all gearing up my Plexico Burress jokes ("Giants may get a lead on the Boys, but they are gonna shoot themselves in the leg come the fourth"); forget that now. West is officially my new favorite target.

Culburn369
09-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Seriously though, in the second story it mentions his depression, and how he tends to go a bit crazy when everything is going smoothly in his life. I know at least two people like that who get themselves in trouble every time things are going well for them. Sounds to me like he needed some drama. If that's the case, I feel sorry for the guy. Mental illnesses like chronic depression and anxiety disorder are no picnic.

Solid stuff, Ruff.

The Franchise
09-18-2009, 10:22 PM
It's actually very smart of him to tell the officer. I have two members of my family who are officers in one respect or another. If you tell the officer about the guns, and aren't licensed to have them, your punishment will be less than if they find them on you and you didn't tell them.

I get what you're saying, but If he didn't in all likelihood he would have given his license and registration and been going home with a fine. Give the cop a little song and dance about how sorry you are and bounce!!

Thunder Dan
09-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Does Delonte hang out with Terrelle Pryor?

If so, watch out for that guy.

Look out below!!!

http://cache0.techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/nuclear-bomb-badger350.jpg

Trainwreck2100
09-19-2009, 12:49 PM
sons delonte west straight thuggin and buggin

Chomag
09-19-2009, 01:16 PM
he must've just seen the end of taxi driver...

on a serious note... he must've been taking them somewhere. i doubt he was just carrying them for protection. as long as he concealed them i don't see the problem... what's stupid is that he was driving like a moron and cut off a cop. you'd think with that amount of firearms you'd be more cautious.

Man, I'm not to sure I can agree. All of the guns were loaded. Thats not usually how you just transport weapons. What he was really doing I just can't understand though. 2 Loaded handguns and a shotgun on a motorcycle? I'm just glad the cop did stop him before he might have done something stupid because it sounded like the man was going to war.

BlackBellamy
09-19-2009, 01:23 PM
"Beretta 9mm in his waistband, a Ruger .357 strapped to his leg and a shotgun in a guitar case slung over his back"

Delonte thinks he's in the Matrix. Next he's working on getting metal legs, it's a risky operation, but he thinks it will be worth it...
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af206/Black_Bellamy/jp-grandmas-boy5.jpg

iggypop123
09-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Just real quick, didn't T.I. get 1 year for weapons charges, and Plaxio get like 3?

plaxico fired the arm, only it was to himself and it was accidental

Morg1411
09-19-2009, 07:13 PM
What a fucking moron.

Red Hawk #21
09-19-2009, 07:25 PM
I've always said he was a shooting-guard and not a PG.

The details are delicious: a three-wheeled motorcycle and guns strapped to his leg, waistband and a shotgun in a guitar case slung over his back. I think he likes anime movies action heros a bit too much.

Haha good one. I didn't know that Delonte stays strapped lol

TIMMYD!
09-19-2009, 08:06 PM
JVA00Fngvmg

Galileo
09-19-2009, 08:53 PM
[B][URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-cavswestarrestedonwe&prov=tsn&type=lgns"]

Delonte West was arrested Thursday night near his offseason home in Maryland for possession of two handguns and a shotgun.

???

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. .... The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

This article doesn't explain why he was arrested.

duncan228
09-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Delonte West's firearms arrest another challenge for the Cleveland Cavaliers (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/09/delonte_wests_firearms_arrest.html)
By Brian Windhorst
The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- There’s no doubt that Delonte West was in the wrong for speeding on a motorcycle with three loaded guns when he was pulled over by police in suburban Washington D.C. Thursday night. After that, though, not much is cut and dry.

The last 12 months have been a constant and complex balancing act for West and the Cavaliers, who dearly love their hard-nosed guard’s personality and ability. What to do about this latest situation might prove the most dicey.

Though they would never talk about these issues publicly and discuss it very little privately, it has been a challenge for the team on how to handle West.

Last August, West was charged with marijuana possession in Prince George’s County, Md., while he was a restricted free agent and the Cavs were in a contract stalemate with him. The team had a difficult decision because it places a high value on character within the locker room. Usually this would be a red flag on any free agent.

So they had several long talks with him and then did some checking on the facts. Ultimately, they decided to trust him and gave him a three-year contract worth $12.6 million. It turned out to be fair -- after investigation the district attorney dropped the charges against West a few weeks after he signed the contract.

During a training camp practice last season West exploded at a referee and then teammates and coaches who tried to break it up. It was a stunning mood switch for a player who is often easygoing, never seems to budge under pressure on the floor and usually is cracking jokes.

Shortly after that, West left the team to get treatment for a mood disorder that he said he’s battled his whole life. His teammates were quite supportive. The team wanted to do whatever it could to help him from time off to treatment to simple positive re-enforcement.

When he returned, West opened himself up to the fans by talking about his struggle with bipolar disorder. It not only endeared him even more to the fan base that was attracted to his style of play and personality, but also to people who have battled mood disorders and depression. Mail poured into the Cavs from people who West had inspired.

West then went out and had the best season of his career, his first as a full-time starter. He was a significant factor in the Cavs winning 66 games. But behind the scenes there was never a doubt that he was often battling with his emotional problems.

Some games West would sit in his uniform at his locker for an hour after the game staring into space. Sometimes he would refuse to talk to anyone. Other times he would be his jovial self, cracking up the locker room and fitting into the team’s pregame “family photos.” He filmed several segments for the ESPN show “Jim Rome is Burning,” showcasing his dry sense of humor that made him a YouTube hit.

But he also often came to games late, even showing up to a home playoff game an hour before tipoff. Once, at a game in Los Angeles, West wasn’t on the bench when he was introduced as a starter and no one on the team seemed to know where he was for a few minutes.

Those episodes, however, never seemed to affect his play. Trying to be supportive, the team apparently gave him plenty of space. The media, appreciative of how open he’d been and sensitive to his battle, looked the other way.

It was the same this summer when another YouTube video appeared of West and a friend waiting for their food to be cooked in a KFC drive-thru. Making jokes and freestyle rapping, West was quite funny. But numerous people left comments that it wasn’t funny because it appeared he was under the influence of something.

Whatever the circumstances, the image couldn’t have made the team happy even as they continued to try to be supportive of West’s issues.

Which leads to this current situation. It likely will come out in time just what West’s state of mind was as he traveled down the highway with the guns. His father told The Washington Post, “all I can say is Delonte was looking behind his back and protecting himself” and hinted he was concerned for his safety for some reason.

No matter what, it isn’t going to be as simple as West did something wrong and then he’ll be punished. There are gray areas and decisions the Cavs may have to make about how to deal with West. How they can continue to try to help him, how to understand him. Or perhaps even where they should draw the line.