PDA

View Full Version : SLAM's Top 50: Manu Ginobili, no. 29

jalberto
09-21-2009, 06:31 AM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/slamonline-top-50/2009/09/top-50-manu-ginobili-no-29/

Top 50: Manu Ginobili, no. 29

You have no clue how good Manu is. You really don’t.

Underrated. It might be the most overused word in sports. As hoop-aholics we always beat our chests and stand on the curb shouting about how our favorite player gets no love. Therein lies the roundball rub. Our arguments are often dismissed because of our allegiances. This case for Manu Ginobili’s greatness can’t be. Why? Because as a Houston native, I loathe the San Antonio Spurs. I can assure you that no bias exists here. I went to college twenty-five minutes away from San Antonio and had to listen every day about the San Antonio Spurs dynasty. I made it my mission to debunk the fantasies Spurs had about their team. The thing is that the more you examine Manu’s career, the better he becomes. In fact, Manu may be the most underrated, there’s that word again, player of our generation.

Fact: Kanye West can cry about how a VMA was robbed from Beyonce but one of the truly great steals in history came when the Spurs grabbed Manu Ginobili with the 57th pick in the 1999 NBA Draft. Let me throw out a stat, seeing as we spent the last few weeks drinking the champagne of greatness that was Michael Jordan’s career. Manu is only the second player ever to win a NBA Championship, Euroleague title and Olympic gold medal. But you still don’t get it.

Seeing is believing and anyone who saw the San Antonio Spurs fall apart in the playoffs against the Dallas Mavericks last year got a huge dose of how important Manu is to the team’s success. Say what you want about the addition of Richard Jefferson. Give deserved praise to Tim Duncan as the greatest power forward ever. Gasp at Tony Parker’s speed and emergence as a team leader. A run at an NBA title begins and ends with Manu Ginobili.

And what’s funny is that as NBA fans we only got a partial glimpse of the picture. Before he came to the Association, The Argentine was tearing it up in Argentina and the Italian League. MVPs? He’s got them, winning the 2001 Euroleague Final Four MVP. He was only voted one of the thirty-five greatest players ever but we don’t want to talk about that. The NBA is king, oh wait, except when Manu led Argentina to Gold in the 2004 Olympics. Yeah, he was the MVP of that also. Perhaps it’s Manu’s foreign origins that make us shy away from him. You make the call.

If that wasn’t enough, the most exciting player in S.A. is the first sixth man to win All-NBA honors. If Ben Gordon is worth over $50 million, what is Manu’s value? You can’t put a price on it. Unlike Gordon, who is at his best when he is coming off the bench, Manu has proven he could dominate as a starter. The stats don’t lie. In a five-game stretch as a starter last season, he averaged 34.4 points per game and 6.6 assists per game in 37.4 minutes per game. Efficiency, Manu is thy name.

How well-rounded is Ginobili’s offensive game? A New York Times article regarding Shane Battier, the defensive student of the game that he is, studied the very subject. Battier is given data to study every opponent. The results speak for themselves. “Manu Ginobili is a statistical freak: he has no imbalance whatsoever in his game,” the article offers. “There is no one way to play him that is better than another. He is equally efficient off the dribble as he is off the pass, going left and right and any spot from on the floor.” It’s true. You’re just as likely to get beaten by a quick slash to the lane as you are a bucket from behind the line when it comes to Ginobili. He can score from anywhere. On any other team he would be a perennial All-Star.

But it’s not about that. See, unlike other players who are too caught up in the “importance” of getting starter’s minutes (see Allen Iverson), Manu Ginobili kills ‘em softly any way the team needs him. He doesn’t mind letting Timmy and Tony have their names on the marquee, even though he could lead the team in points and assists. He just keeps on keeping on and counts the championship rings at the end of the day.

The word clutch has become synonymous with Kobe Bryant but it’s an undeserved association. Yeah, you guessed it, Manu’s the real heir to the last minute throne. Forbes did a study chronicling the top players in the last five minutes of a game including overtime. It wasn’t even close. Manu topped the list and shoots lights out at a 57.4% clip. Your boy Kobe? 44.8%. Do I have your attention yet?

The only thing that can stop Manu Ginobili is his health and he has suffered a few setbacks in the past few years. The 2008-2009 season ended unceremoniously for him as he had to shut it down with a stress fracture in his right distal fibula. That only means you’ll be sleeping on him this upcoming season, just like the majority of us have slept on the Spurs all these years. So when you are watching the Spurs in the Western Conference Finals next season, perhaps against the defending champion Lakers, don’t be shocked if Manu slaps the taste out of your mouth with a game-winning three. The quiet ones always sneak up on you. The funny thing is you’ll be the one left speechless. Manu Ginobili has been doing it his entire career and yet we still can’t find words to describe him. For now, underrated will have to do.

spursballer21
09-21-2009, 06:51 AM
its all true awesome post man u draw?

Manufan909
09-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Fuck, this makes the wait for the reg season even harder. Why did he have to remind me of all Ginobili's accomplishments!?! And of the hypothetical scenario where he was on another team. If he'd been drafted by Nellie's Warriors or Antoni's Suns, would he be considered a better player? He'd definitely get to focus on one end of the court a lot more.:lol

Or, and typing it makes me want to :vomit:, the Lakers had picked him? They already had Kobe and Shaq (plus some other great players I just can't remember), adding Manu, who gets to play alongside the greatest SG of this generation, as well as the greatest C of this gen as well? Fuggedabout it.

xellos88330
09-21-2009, 07:48 AM
^ Agree

Chieflion
09-21-2009, 07:51 AM
If Ginobili goes back to his all-star self, the Spurs would be invincible. The season cannot start soon enough.

carina_gino20
09-21-2009, 07:52 AM
A run at an NBA title begins and ends with Tim Duncan.

c@t
09-21-2009, 09:21 AM
If Ginobili goes back to his all-star self, the Spurs would be invincible. The season cannot start soon enough.
Anyways he can't grow some hair back to his central head.

polandprzem
09-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Manu is a diferent maker

And all spurs fans should be glad he is playing for the spurs and cherish every game because he won't be forever.

DaBears
09-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Thats one of the best articles on Manu i've read. Can't wait till next season.

xellos88330
09-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Anyways he can't grow some hair back to his central head.

Maybe he should talk to Karl Malone. He might have the answer.

WildcardManu
09-21-2009, 11:36 AM
He's a freak of nature.

Kori Ellis
09-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Great piece.

I wonder where Forbes got this:

Forbes did a study chronicling the top players in the last five minutes of a game including overtime. It wasn’t even close. Manu topped the list and shoots lights out at a 57.4% clip. Your boy Kobe? 44.8%.

Manu shot 39.6% in the clutch last season (according to 82games.com) and Kobe 45.7%.

Kori Ellis
09-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Ahh..never mind. They used 82games.com stats from 07-08.

will_spurs
09-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Last year Duncan was #3 on the list, Manu #14 and Parker #21. We already know Manu is ranked significantly lower this season (although I'm ready to believe they will wish they had ranked him higher), and I'm ready to believe Duncan will go down a fewspots and Parker up a few.

manufan10
09-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Great read. I really hope that Manu is healthy this season.

Darthkiller
09-21-2009, 02:44 PM
MANU= top 10 SG EVER

angelbelow
09-21-2009, 02:52 PM
He shopuld be higher. He probably will be after this season. If he stays healthy.

yup

sonic21
09-21-2009, 03:00 PM
50. Allen Iverson
49. Josh Howard
48. Jameer Nelson
47. Ben Gordon
46. OJ Mayo
45. Jason Kidd
44. Rudy Gay
43. Baron Davis
42. Ron Artest
41. Kevin Martin
40. Josh Smith
39. Lamarcus Aldridge
38. Rashard Lewis
37. Antwan Jamison
36. Ray Allen
35. Hedo Turkoglu
34. Gilbert Arenas
33. Lamar Odom
32. Carlos Boozer
31. David West
30. Shaquille O'Neal

http://www.slamonline.com/online/category/nba/slamonline-top-50/

DJB
09-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Excellent read.

TIMMYD!
09-21-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm wacking off to this. :downspin:

SA210
09-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Manu is the man!

Kori Ellis
09-21-2009, 04:22 PM
The stats don’t lie. In a five-game stretch as a starter last season, he averaged 34.4 points per game and 6.6 assists per game in 37.4 minutes per game.

When did this happen?

I see that he started 7 games last year and only totaled 98 points in those games (and shot 42%).

Mel_13
09-21-2009, 05:10 PM
When did this happen?

I see that he started 7 games last year and only totaled 98 points in those games (and shot 42%).

Feb 11-23 2008

it's me
09-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Feb 11-23 2008

She just likes Tony better... nothing new.

Kori Ellis
09-21-2009, 08:03 PM
She just likes Tony better... nothing new.

:lol @ Tony

I actually think Manu deserves to be higher the list. I just didn't remember him scoring that much last year -- so I was wondering where the writer was getting his information. The article is apparently based on the season before last -- that's why I was confused.

Tom The Spurs Dude
09-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Manu is Manu thats just it, there really is not a word that could describe his game. What he does is amazing winning titles and doing his job as a Spur, his office is the court and the payroll is not just money but Chips as well.

wildbill2u
09-21-2009, 11:36 PM
When the game is on the line, does Pop put the ball in the hands of the best power forward in the game? Or a quicksilver All-Star guard?

Nope, it's the Argentinian Assassin that gets the call.

ducks
09-22-2009, 12:17 AM
He shopuld be higher. He probably will be after this season. If he stays healthy.

you think he will?
I bet he misses atleast 15 games

lurker23
09-22-2009, 01:40 AM
Great article. Every time I read a new article on one of the Spurs, whether it be Ginobili, Jefferson, Hill, or Blair, it gets me a little too hyped up for the season.

Also, I still think the Spurs should get Manu an extension this fall. This article increases my desire to do so from 80% to 85%.

will_spurs
09-22-2009, 04:56 AM
Nope, it's the Argentinian Assassin that gets the call.

Unfortunately the infirmary is out of his range.

c@t
09-22-2009, 06:41 AM
:lol @ Tony

I actually think Manu deserves to be higher the list. I just didn't remember him scoring that much last year -- so I was wondering where the writer was getting his information. The article is apparently based on the season before last -- that's why I was confused.
Such writers don't deserve the money they are paid. This author isn't the shittiest writer I know though. Someone gets paid roughly 16 million dollars annually for simply writing his own blog, and his writings are worthless as shit.