PDA

View Full Version : West, Beasley Force A Hard Look At Mental Illness In The NBA

duncan228
09-21-2009, 03:37 PM
West, Beasley Force a Hard Look at Mental Illness in the NBA (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-westbeasleyforceahar&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

They were like two trains passing in the night, if the NBA's barren off-season counts as one night, and by "passing" you mean "awkwardly stuck into the same space by virtue of imprecise journalism."

Yet here it is: Michael Beasley, whose mysterious disappearance into the halls of in-patient was the summer's biggest non-trade story, is out and beloved (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/35409/beasley_set_to_finish_rehab,_rejoin_heat). Almost cosmically, fellow eccentric and DC-area native then gets knocked by the cops (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/35285/cavs_west_arrested_on_weapons_charges) for … well, you know the story by now.

The Beasley soap opera, which had the poor fortune to unfold over the weekend and possibly involve Twitter, ended up a dud. The talented and perplexing Miami forward had entered rehab because the league made him; as far as we know, there was no threat to himself or others, no severe depression and nothing wackier going into his system than weed, whose presence in the NBA is hardly a revelation.

But by the time things got straightened out, the damage had been done—or more accurately, the shoe had been found to fit. Beasley just seemed like the kind of dude who would turn out to be, in the popular parlance, "crazy" or "on drugs." He's the rare prospect whose stock suffered not only for immaturity or a rebellious streak, but just plain old weirdness.

The way the pot aspect of the story was handled was most indicative of Beasley's baggage. Suddenly, the dullest drug on Earth became a gateway into another dimension, part of the explanation for the kid's personality (never mind that stoners, as a rule, have no personality).

Above all else, the fog of discourse that descended upon Michael Beasley (and will probably stick for some time) was sensationalist. He was a player who, to borrow a phrase, was asking for it. "Crazy player turns out to be crazy" might as well have been the headline on much of what was written, and it's not like that impression's going away just because the truth turned out to be decidedly mundane. After all, it was still Beasley. How boring could it be?

Then, there was Delonte West. Certainly, West has a reputation as a character. A brief compilation of his greatest hits would have to include his Valentine's Day date advice, drive-through freestyle video and those bizarre who's-interviewing-who segments with Paul Pierce when West was a Celtic. And yet despite being stuck on crap teams, multiple changes of scenery and disagreements over how best to use him, West has emerged as an extremely useful player. Brash, yes, but basically just a funny dude with a lot of basketball skill who seemed to have finally found a niche for himself.

To put it bluntly, Beasley was the nutjob, West the goofball. When West missed some time last season while seeking treatment for depression (reported later to be "a mood disorder," then bipolar disorder), all the emphasis had been on his increased role on the Cavs and just how important he would be to a championship run. He was a veteran with a kooky streak.

Beasley, meanwhile, was being monitored for both performance and psychological disturbances, with the two often intertwined. When his story semi-broke, the floodgates opened, and all of a sudden the subject of athletes and mental health were everywhere. All because Beasley, however speciously, just seemed like a poster child for the issue. It was a discussion that should be taking place, and Beasley galvanized it. For both players, career standing dictated coverage of their mental illness.

Someone probably owes Beasley some sort of medal. Maybe even Delonte West. Because what happened over the weekend with West is just fundamentally harder for people to wrap their minds around. That's why some have responded with jokes, others by lumping it in with Plaxico Burress. If you're feeling especially cynical, you could claim that Beasley set a false example, or prematurely exhausted the conversation.

But I prefer to believe that, for lack of a better term, the Beasley fiasco was a gateway story. Had it not been for that hectic few days of full-on "what's in Beasley's brain?" talk, people would just be flat-out alienated by West. At least the pump's been primed. Now, instead of clinging to preconceptions and side-bets about who's the craziest NBA player, we can take a cold, hard look at Delonte West and maybe learn a little something about how mental illness really works.

will_spurs
09-21-2009, 05:41 PM
I couldn't care to read the whole thing, I'm just surprised at how the writer managed to talk for so long about crazy players without mentioning Ron Artest.

Culburn369
09-21-2009, 05:50 PM
I couldn't care to read the whole thing, I'm just surprised at how the writer managed to talk for so long about crazy players without mentioning Ron Artest.

Artest is nothing more than an attention starved, immature manboy, (nurture error|||punitive or absent father), Will. Sounds like these other two case studies are innate and much more ingrained. Their ages are prime for the manifestations that they're experiencing. The path twixt adolescense and adulthood is fertile ground for rupture.

Chieflion
09-22-2009, 03:03 AM
I do believe J.R Smith and Jason Richardson are crazy.

Dex
09-22-2009, 09:35 AM
The Beasley soap opera, which had the poor fortune to unfold over the weekend and possibly involve Twitter, ended up a dud. The talented and perplexing Miami forward had entered rehab because the league made him; as far as we know, there was no threat to himself or others, no severe depression and nothing wackier going into his system than weed, whose presence in the NBA is hardly a revelation.

I'd be interested to know how true this statement really is. But that would probably involve a lot of players getting busted, and the drama wouldn't be worth the knowledge. I'm happy with the current policy of live and let live.

Culburn369
09-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Nothin' better than pickin' & choosein' twixt laws you'll abide & those you'll break. Eh, Dex?

jazzypimp
09-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Nothin' better than pickin' & choosein' twixt laws you'll abide & those you'll break. Eh, Dex?

This thread should be titled " Colburn Forces A Hard Look At Mental Illness on Spurstalk"

Culburn369
09-22-2009, 10:14 AM
This thread should be titled " Colburn Forces A Hard Look At Mental Illness on Spurstalk"

Yer O & Forever, Jazzy.

Tougheth lucketh.

jazzypimp
09-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Yer O & Forever, Jazzy.

Tougheth lucketh.

LOL :lol you smuggly lil bastard you!!

Culburn369
09-22-2009, 10:17 AM
LOL :lol you smuggly lil bastard you!!

Hey, you got close though. You just let Jordan take yer pants down, spud.

Oh, well, saylarvee.

jazzypimp
09-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Hey, you got close though. You just let Jordan take yer pants down, spud.

Oh, well, saylarvee.

Oh the lucketh you possess to not have had to play jordan and let him fondle kobes balls to the championship. Oh the logic.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-22-2009, 10:24 AM
I do believe J.R Smith and Jason Richardson are crazy.

Stupid and crazy are two different things. Recklessly speeding with your kid in the car, driving drunk, and accidentally killing your friend in an accident are all signs of stupidity. Packing more heat in your car than Arnold Schwarzenegger does in the movie Commando is craziness.

Culburn369
09-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Oh the lucketh you possess to not have had to play jordan and let him fondle kobes balls to the championship. Oh the logic.

Please. You voluntarily bent over and went to the slaughter. Sloan, Stockton and Malone couldn't wait until the misery was over. You weak things, you.

jazzypimp
09-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Please. You voluntarily bent over and went to the slaughter. Sloan, Stockton and Malone couldn't wait until the misery was over. You weak things, you.

you talk a big game but all I hear are hershey squirts. Must mean you full of the stinky shit!

JamStone
09-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Stephon Marbury is insulted by this article...

...and will perform a one-man musical about his upset feelings on the web later tonight.

redzero
09-22-2009, 11:14 AM

...and will perform a one-man musical about his upset feelings on the web later tonight.

I'd watch it.

Culburn369
09-22-2009, 11:28 AM
you talk a big game but all I hear are hershey squirts. Must mean you full of the stinky shit!

As well as 15 NBA World Championships.

tee, hee.

Dex
09-22-2009, 11:40 AM

Pretty much.

Culburn369
09-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Pretty much.

Agreed.

:toast

jazzypimp
09-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Dumbo cockburn! I'll give you a dollar if you stop talkin in nursery rhymes.

coyotes_geek
09-22-2009, 11:54 AM
I'd be interested to know how true this statement really is. But that would probably involve a lot of players getting busted, and the drama wouldn't be worth the knowledge. I'm happy with the current policy of live and let live.

There's no "live and let live" policy. All the players get tested multiple times a year and if they catch you then you're either going to end up in a program or suspended or both. We just don't hear about it, unless there's a suspension involved, because the NBA and the players association want to keep it quiet. The only reason we found out about Beasley was because he was a dumbass and put that picture up on twitter. All that being said, the players generally know when those tests are (date ranges are specified in the cba) and undoubtedly there are going to be guys who adjust their toking schedules accordingly.

Dex
09-22-2009, 12:47 PM
There's no "live and let live" policy. All the players get tested multiple times a year and if they catch you then you're either going to end up in a program or suspended or both. We just don't hear about it, unless there's a suspension involved, because the NBA and the players association want to keep it quiet. The only reason we found out about Beasley was because he was a dumbass and put that picture up on twitter. All that being said, the players generally know when those tests are (date ranges are specified in the cba) and undoubtedly there are going to be guys who adjust their toking schedules accordingly.

Not publicized? If a player goes under the gun for breaking the league's drug policy, then their fine and suspension all gets reported by the media. The reason you never hear about it happening is because the league's policy is so lax, the only players who usually get busted are the dumbdumb's who blatantly admit to and/or are caught with it, ala Stoudamire, Howard, Anthony, and Beasley.

Per ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3368139

NBA players are required to undergo four random tests every season between Oct. 1 and June 30. But a player who tests positive for marijuana is not subjected to his first five-game suspension -- or even public knowledge he has failed a drug test -- until his third failed test.

They only have to take 4 tests during the season, and the league obviously doesn't care what their doing in the offseason. And they don't get suspended unless they fail 3 out of the 4? There are 30K jobs out there that have stiffer drug policies than that.

I'm sure there's a lot of policy and counseling that goes into it and I know it's not exactly a laissez faire attitude, but if the league wanted to enforce a no-tolerance policy, they could. But they don't.

Morg1411
09-22-2009, 01:07 PM

:lol

Culburn369
09-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Dumbo cockburn! I'll give you a dollar if you stop talkin in nursery rhymes.

Can't, it'll screw up my unemployment benefits.

Samr
09-22-2009, 10:30 PM
That article was incredibly redundant.

Athletes are humans just like the rest of us. Sometimes things happen, and just like your or I would not like discussing our private matters, I'm reasonably certain Beasley and West don't like that much either.

You post a picture of even a possible marijuana bag on twitter, yeah, you're an idiot. You cut off a cop and get caught armed to the teeth, yeah, you're an idiot. Any boss anywhere (that isn't a drug trafficker) is going to have an issue with that. But as far as what disabilities they may or may not have, I tend to think that's something we're not really supposed to care about.

Hope both of them figure it out. West is still pretty young; Beasley has his whole life ahead of him.

exstatic
09-22-2009, 11:27 PM
Artest is nothing more than an attention starved, immature manboy, (nurture error|||punitive or absent father), Will. Sounds like these other two case studies are innate and much more ingrained. Their ages are prime for the manifestations that they're experiencing. The path twixt adolescense and adulthood is fertile ground for rupture.

Nope. Ron's needed medication for years (as far back as Chicago), but refused to take it.