PDA

View Full Version : Keith Bogans will sign with Spurs

Pages : [1] 2

Bruno
09-21-2009, 04:04 PM
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/09/21/keith-bogans-will-sign-with-spurs/

Posted Sep 21, 2009 4:30PM By Chris Tomasson

Free-agent swingman Keith Bogans will sign a one-year contract with the San Antonio Spurs, sources confirmed Monday to FanHouse.

Bogans, a solid defensive player, is being looked at as an heir apparent to Bruce Bowen, who retired recently after being San Antonio's perimeter defensive stopper throughout much of the decade. The Spurs had been grooming Ime Udoka for that role, but they are electing not to bring him back as a free agent after he played two seasons with the team.

Bogans, who will sign a guaranteed deal worth the minimum of $1.03 million, last season averaged 6.0 points for Milwaukee. He has a 7.5 average over six seasons.

Bogans also had been looked at by the Denver Nuggets. However, the Nuggets have had a contract offer out the past few weeks on guard Flip Murray and are continuing to wait on him.

Sources have told FanHouse that Murray has been offered the minimum of $1.1 million by the Nuggets. He is hoping to get the biannual exception of $1.99 million, but indications are the Nuggets, who are over the luxury-tax threshold, are unwilling to spend that much.

Murray also is being looked at by Charlotte. It remains to be seen if the Bobcats might come up with an offer that could pry Murray away from Denver.

TIMMYD!
09-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Yeah.

Yogurt210
WTF, this dude is a joke!
horrible move. hope he signs as the water boy.

mfanatic
6'5, 215 Pounds, I'll take him backing up RJ.

Parker/Hill
Manu/Roger
RJ/Bogans
Duncan/Blair
Mcdyess/Ian

DPG21920
09-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Bogan's FA Thread:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125081&highlight=bogans

mfanatic
09-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Bogans > FINLEY!!!

ashbeeigh
09-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Bogan's FA Thread:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125081&highlight=bogans

:lol he sure did get a lot of attention in May!

And...this happens the one time I happen upon the Spurs forum during the off season. I'll be interested to see him come training camp.

Sooo excited the season is almost here.

DPG21920
09-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Does this effect Malik or Finley more? I personally would rather have Malik get the minutes because he seems like he can defend just as well or learn to, plus he has way more offensive upside.

Would be cool if this was because they were trying to trade Finley. Although I like Finley's offense much better for the Spurs.

coyotes_geek
09-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Bad news for either Hairston or Williams.

FvckMavs
09-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Bad news for either Hairston or Williams.

or both

timvp
09-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Damn I'm good.

:smokin

DPG21920
09-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Not to mention the Spurs already have 13 roster spots with guaranteed money. Bogans would make 14.

mfanatic
09-21-2009, 04:18 PM
I smell a 2 for 1 trade coming along..

TD 21
09-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Buford said after the Jefferson trade, to paraphrase, that "Bruce defended the top opposition wings for a long time, and we won't be negligent in that pursuit either", when discussing what the Spurs had in store for the remainder of the off season.

Clearly, this was their wing defender addition, I'm just surprised it's coming this late in the off season. By now, I, like most, had assumed Hairston would get that spot. At this point, that's 14 guaranteed contracts, and the way Buford spoke of Williams in an interview during summer league, I have to think he get's the 15th spot, assuming the Spurs carry 15.

Bogans is a more proven version of what the Spurs want Hairston to become. He can defend, is a decent athlete, and can hit the three, but he's a slightly undersized two who presumably will spend the majority of his time with the Spurs at the three. In essence, he's a marginally more talented version of Udoka.

On the one hand, it's one more proven player, who's still relatively young, at 29. On the other hand, I think Hairston has at least the upside to become what Bogans is, and could become potentially better. Hopefully, the Spurs can keep him stashed away on the Toros for one more season without another team snatching him up, and then next season when Finley is more than likely gone, he and/or McClinton can take his roster spot.

coyotes_geek
09-21-2009, 04:19 PM
or both

Certainly possible.

coyotes_geek
09-21-2009, 04:20 PM
I smell a 2 for 1 trade coming along..

Would be nice, but that's easier said than done.

ManuTP9
09-21-2009, 04:21 PM
:flag:

Bruno
09-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Pop won't be able to give minutes to 5 SG/SF (Manu, RJ, Mason, Finley and Bogans).

Manu, RJ, Mason and Bogans is a damn good and well balanced rotation at SG/SF. I wouldn't be surprised to see Finley being dumped to another team.

mfanatic
09-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Lets just ship out Bonner and Finley and everyone will be happy.

Phenomanul
09-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Interesting...

DPG21920
09-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Pop won't be able to give minutes to 5 SG/SF (Manu, RJ, Mason, Finley and Bogans).

Manu, RJ, Mason and Bogans is a damn good and well balanced rotation at SG/SF. I wouldn't be surprised to see Finley being dumped to another team.

I agree. In that case, Hairston/Williams would be in the same spot as before.

mfanatic
09-21-2009, 04:24 PM
I like how our defense will look though when we must get a stop:

Hill
Bogans
RJ
Duncan
Ratliff

Not many teams can put up that defense

coyotes_geek
09-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Lets just ship out Bonner and Finley and everyone will be happy.

Sounds good. Now all we need is a team out there who thinks that Bonner and Finley make them better.

timvp
09-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Don't count out Bogans. Back when Bogans was on the Rockets, on a pre-game show Pop had good things to say about him. The interviewer asked him who to watch out for on the Rockets because their big stars were injured (shocker, I know) and Pop said something like Bogans is the type of player who is all heart who can beat you if you don't account for him. That might have been a random Pop compliment but Pop usually doesn't name players -- much less doll out compliments.

Bogans could possibly fill the role Udoka was supposed to play until it became painfully obvious that Udoka had lost his quickness and never could figure out when to shoot. Bogans' offense is pretty bad but perhaps he could do better in a system that will give him more open looks.

Of the cheap plug-and-play defenders on the market I'd say Bogans is the most likely to sign with the Spurs. Not an exciting player at all but he fits the mold and the price range.

Thinking back to that interview, I'm going to guess this was a Pop move. Pop loves the Bogans type of players that are all heart.

I don't think Bogans is very good (I'd much rather the Spurs have signed Bowen) but at least he's another defensive piece added to the mix. He can fill the Udoka role with better defense and better shot selection.

The whole summer I thought Bogans to the Spurs made sense for both sides as long as Bogans wasn't offered more than the minimum elsewhere. He sure did wait it out and apparently the minimum was all he was offered . . .

TD 21
09-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Current (Final?) Roster:

Starters: PF- Duncan, SF- Jefferson, C- McDyess, SG- Mason, PG- Parker

Bench: SG- Ginobili, PF- Blair, PG/SG- Hill, PF- Bonner, SF/SG- Finley, C- Ratliff, SG/SF- Bogans

Inactive: PF- Haislip, C/PF- Mahinmi, SF/SG- Williams

timvp
09-21-2009, 04:31 PM
wouldn't be surprised to see Finley being dumped to another team.Dumping Finley would make this a near perfect offseason. Keeping Bonner for his experience is fine but I think Finley hurts the team more than he helps at this point.

If the Spurs do decide to trade Finley, it'll likely be before training camp starts.

NFGIII
09-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Nothing like a little competition in training camp to see what you really have. The pressure is squarely on both Williams and Hairston and I'm fine with that. If these two guys really want to play for the Spurs and contribute to a championship run then they had better bring their A game. Not that they weren't going to but as of now they are on notice to perform. And it should be this way, too. TD has only a couple of years or more left in the tank so the Spurs had better do whatever it takes to win. With all the signings this summer they are doing just that.

I like the move and can't wait for training camp to start and see what we've got.

:flag:

DPG21920
09-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Sounds good. Now all we need is a team out there who thinks that Bonner and Finley make them better.

Finley is still a solid rotational player if he is your 3 or 4th option at SG/SF. Bonner fills a role as well and their expiring contracts could be appealing. If you are picking up guys to shed salary next year, Finley/Bonner have some talent and are great locker room guys, so it is not a bad deal.

Dumping Finley would make this a near perfect offseason. Keeping Bonner for his experience is fine but I think Finley hurts the team more than he helps at this point.

If the Spurs do decide to trade Finley, it'll likely be before training camp starts.

It just seems strange to bring in a guaranteed contract when it will create a log jam.

kbrury
09-21-2009, 04:38 PM
So I was wondering can Gist go back to Italy or is it too late?

TD 21
09-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Dumping Finley would make this a near perfect offseason. Keeping Bonner for his experience is fine but I think Finley hurts the team more than he helps at this point.

I disagree. What would have made this a near perfect off season is if McDyess were about 2-3 inches taller, 10-15 pounds heavier, and 3-4 years younger. As it is, the Spurs are still undersized in the middle.

As for Finley, he's now in a more suitable role for him at this late stage in his career. Roughly a 15 mpg backup SF, who can come in as a spot up shooter, as well as provide veteran leadership in the locker room, and on the bench to the younger guys. Pop has always lauded Finley for this.

Plus, other than free throws, Finley is a known clutch shooter. At 6'7'' he can still elevate, and if not shoot up over the top, at least not have his shot particularly bothered by opposing wings, in terms of taking do-or-die shots. That's important in those situations, because it's tough to get a tone of space. Outside of Jefferson, he's the Spurs 2nd biggest wing, and can still be used in certain small ball alignments.

timvp
09-21-2009, 04:41 PM
It just seems strange to bring in a guaranteed contract when it will create a log jam.

I think the Spurs look at their roster as 13 deep now with two spots open. Mahinmi's contract is technically guaranteed but I think he'll need to show something to avoid getting salary dumped somewhere. If he doesn't show improvement (or gets hurt again), I think he's gone.

Mahinmi, Hairston, Williams, Gist and McClinton fighting for two roster spots is plenty. Down the line, probably either zero or one of those players turns out to the an NBA level player.

Bruno
09-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Clippers looks like the best destination to dump Finley.

Shifty
09-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Damn I'm good.

Can you elaborate on that? :lol

Anyway, I know I'll make mistakes but here is a list of the roster detailing the status of each player, their options and the available spots remaining:

Contract Locked:

Parker
Mason
RJ
TD
Dice
Manu
Hill
Bonner
Blair
Haislip
Finley
Ratliff
Bogans

Probables:

Hairston
Williams
Mahinmi
Gist

Depth Chart:
TP-Hill-Williams
Mason-Manu-Finley
RJ-Bogans-Hairston-Gist
Dice-Blair-Bonner-Haislip
TD-Ratliff-Mahinmi

Some positions are interchangeable.

We are crowded! Trade should be coming, even if considering the "locked" as the only players to have into the season.

pad300
09-21-2009, 04:44 PM
I'm very surprised it's a guaranteed contract. If it really is guaranteed, this I would be surprised that they wouldn't make a cost cutting move or two - goodbye to Finley, Bonner, or Both (or perhaps Mahinmi).

DPG21920
09-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Clippers looks like the best destination to dump Finley.

Because of their bigman rotation log jam? They have Eric Gordon/Al Thornton/Rasual Butler/Ricky Davis as their SG/SF's.

My mind first went to the Clippers as well when moving Finley came to mind. But I was thinking, who could the Spurs take back since most of the Clippers contracts are expiring as well?

completely deck
09-21-2009, 04:49 PM
This off season gets stranger and stranger.

Bruno
09-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Because of their bigman rotation log jam? They have Eric Gordon/Al Thornton/Rasual Butler/Ricky Davis as their SG/SF's.

Because they have a trade exception big enough for Finley and because they only have 3 decent SG/SF (Gordon, Thornton and Butler).

Shifty
This off season gets stranger and stranger.

I think Pop and Buford are doing all this just to mess with us :lol

kbrury
besides the Clippers which teams are capable of taking a 2 for 1 trade?

completely deck
09-21-2009, 04:53 PM
I think Pop and Buford are doing all this just to mess with us :lol

Thats my :pop:

DPG21920
09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Because they have a trade exception big enough for Finley and because they only have 3 decent SG/SF (Gordon, Thornton and Butler).

I see. Did not know they had a TE.

coyotes_geek
09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Finley is still a solid rotational player if he is your 3 or 4th option at SG/SF. Bonner fills a role as well and their expiring contracts could be appealing. If you are picking up guys to shed salary next year, Finley/Bonner have some talent and are great locker room guys, so it is not a bad deal.

A 2 for 1 is probably the only way to get Finley off the team. Doesn't make any sense to move Finley in a 1 for 1 deal because all you're going to get is a guy who's either not as good as Finley, or has a contract that runs longer than Finley's. In either case, you're better off just keeping Finley.

A 1 for 0 deal would be nice, where Finley gets moved to a team with cap room or a trade exception big enough to absorb his salary. But there are only a handful of teams that can swing a deal like that. It's looking like OKC and Sacramento are going to be the only two teams with cap room. On the TE front damn near everyone either doesn't have a TE big enough, or they just got one from a trade this offseason and won't be in a hurry to use it just to help the Spurs out. Denver and Houston are possibilities, they both have TE's that expire within the next 3 months. But do either of them want to help us out? Plus both have luxury tax issues.

ajballer4
09-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Dont sleep on Bogans. He is a solid role player. Mostly like Maurice Evans from the hawks (i think thats where he plays now)

TimDunkem
09-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Agreed. Bogans is solid. Personally, I'd take him over Udoka anyday...

DPG21920
09-21-2009, 05:11 PM
A 2 for 1 is probably the only way to get Finley off the team. Doesn't make any sense to move Finley in a 1 for 1 deal because all you're going to get is a guy who's either not as good as Finley, or has a contract that runs longer than Finley's. In either case, you're better off just keeping Finley.

A 1 for 0 deal would be nice, where Finley gets moved to a team with cap room or a trade exception big enough to absorb his salary. But there are only a handful of teams that can swing a deal like that. It's looking like OKC and Sacramento are going to be the only two teams with cap room. On the TE front damn near everyone either doesn't have a TE big enough, or they just got one from a trade this offseason and won't be in a hurry to use it just to help the Spurs out. Denver and Houston are possibilities, they both have TE's that expire within the next 3 months. But do either of them want to help us out? Plus both have luxury tax issues.

This is what I was eluding to. You said "you have to find someone who thinks Finley and Bonner make them better". In a 2 for 1 deal with Finley and Bonner you get pretty good role players and expiring contracts. It could be appealing, especially if you get to rid yourself of a contract you don't want. I just do not know if the Spurs would take on any long contracts.

If you are just going to move Finley to clear up a logjam, it would have to be with a team that wants his expiring and that will return a player in a position of need with a longer contract close to his value. Or a team with a TE. The Clippers, as Bruno said fit that mold about as well as anyone.

benefactor
09-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Thinking back to that interview, I'm going to guess this was a Pop move. Pop loves the Bogans type of players that are all heart.

I don't think Bogans is very good (I'd much rather the Spurs have signed Bowen) but at least he's another defensive piece added to the mix. He can fill the Udoka role with better defense and better shot selection.

The whole summer I thought Bogans to the Spurs made sense for both sides as long as Bogans wasn't offered more than the minimum elsewhere. He sure did wait it out and apparently the minimum was all he was offered . . .

I remember that game where Pop talked about Bogans. He is kind of effort player that Pop likes(see Tolliver, Anthony) and is a good defender who can shoot the three. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him on the roster next year.

As I said before, not at all a surprising move. We have plenty of scoring punch, so as far as cheap defensive depth goes Bogans is probably one of the better options left on the table.

DPG21920
09-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Don't the Clippers already have 15 guaranteed roster spots? I guess they could buyout Ricky Davis. Maybe something like:

Spurs send Finley+1.5M to the Clippers
Clippers send future 2nd round pick swap potentially

portnoy1
09-21-2009, 05:17 PM
I was looking thru the possibility of a trade. If you trade Finley / Bonner / Mason Jr. to Clippers for Camby ( who's contract ends at the of this coming season ) it would work financially. Finley is a shooter thats great but he cant guard anybody. Mason Jr. is a shooter that hit clutch buckets but couldn't hit in the playoffs. The only reason Bonner is still here is because Horry left and they needed a big guy who could stretch the defense. If Haislip hits the 3, then Bonners gone. Camby will Give us a midrange jumper and rebounding+shotblocking that Mcdyess can't. We will control the boards and intimidate little guys from driving in the paint. We will also have a perimeter defender who is athletic and can dunk. As for loosing 3 of our 3pt shooters, well that was our problem throughout the season and playoffs. Guys standing around the perimeter watching Parker. Instead we can go back to effecient 3pt shooting like in 04-05 when one guy would drive and pass, next guy drive and pass and the last guy would drive and pass and the end result would be a layup or a WIDE OPEN 3pt attempt because the defense was all strung out.

G - Parker / Hill
G - Bogans / Manu
F - RJ / one of the D-league guys ( Hairston / Williams )
F - Duncan / Blair / Haislip
C - Camby / Mcdyess / Ratliff
it could be 2004-05 all over again when we had all the positions covered.

DPG21920
09-21-2009, 05:26 PM
I don't see why the Clippers would want to do that.

MaNu4Tres
09-21-2009, 05:30 PM
This makes Mason expendable trade bait with Bonner to reel in something damn good.

completely deck
09-21-2009, 05:32 PM
I was looking thru the possibility of a trade. If you trade Finley / Bonner / Mason Jr. to Clippers for Camby ( who's contract ends at the of this coming season ) it would work financially. Finley is a shooter thats great but he cant guard anybody. Mason Jr. is a shooter that hit clutch buckets but couldn't hit in the playoffs. The only reason Bonner is still here is because Horry left and they needed a big guy who could stretch the defense. If Haislip hits the 3, then Bonners gone. Camby will Give us a midrange jumper and rebounding+shotblocking that Mcdyess can't. We will control the boards and intimidate little guys from driving in the paint. We will also have a perimeter defender who is athletic and can dunk. As for loosing 3 of our 3pt shooters, well that was our problem throughout the season and playoffs. Guys standing around the perimeter watching Parker. Instead we can go back to effecient 3pt shooting like in 04-05 when one guy would drive and pass, next guy drive and pass and the last guy would drive and pass and the end result would be a layup or a WIDE OPEN 3pt attempt because the defense was all strung out.

G - Parker / Hill
G - Bogans / Manu

whole lot of words for a camby masturbatory story.

TimDunkem
09-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Come on guys...Mase had two BAD games during the playoffs, (after being placed at the 1, then benched) but we need that knockdown shooter on the team. I know some would say we can't have guys standing on the perimeter the whole game, but this is why we have guys like RJ who will play extended minutes rather than someone like Finley.

portnoy1
09-21-2009, 05:36 PM
whole lot of words for a camby masturbatory story.
Whats wrong with Camby? Honestly we were all wondering about Wing specialist Position and it got filled. Were still talking about a big tall shot blocker that can play 25mins or more EVERYGAME ( See Ratliff ). Who's to say that wont get filled. Pop already said that with all the moves the spurs have made their still beaten by the Lakers in length.

tomtom
09-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Very awesome. I love this guy, he was fun to watch when he was with the Magic and he plays pretty good D too, upgrade over Udoka that's for sure

portnoy1
09-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Come on guys...Mase had two BAD games during the playoffs, (after being placed at the 1, then benched) but we need that knockdown shooter on the team. I know some would say we can't have guys standing on the perimeter the whole game, but this is why we have guys like RJ who will play extended minutes rather than someone like Finley.
So your saying that the spurs are gonna pay RJ $14million to stand around the 3pt line like they do all there SF's?

lurker23
09-21-2009, 05:38 PM
I know several people have said this already, but the Spurs handing out another fully guaranteed contract at this point in time is strange. Either there's another trade coming, or the Spurs feel they have enough youth in their guaranteed roster and would rather have veterans in spots 12-15 than virtual rookies.

MaNu4Tres
09-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Mason Finley Mahimni for Nocioni.

Tim McDyess Nocioni RJ Tony

Manu Hill Bogans Blair Ratliff Bonner Haislip.

Damn solid team.

Libri
09-21-2009, 05:39 PM
We still don't know if Manu is going to be completely healthy by the start of the season. I think it makes sense to have someone experienced as a backup instead of unproven players like Malik or Marcus.

I prefer the Spurs keep the young players and try to develop them and trade Finley and Bonner.

Mel_13
09-21-2009, 05:40 PM
So your saying that the spurs are gonna pay RJ $14million to stand around the 3pt line like they do all there SF's?

Actually, he said the opposite.

lefty
Hopefully this will be at the expense of Finley, but I'm assuming it'll be at the expense of Williams and/or Hairston..

He's really just primarily a defensive piece..he doesn't have much to offer on offense..

Bogans vs. Kobe..obviously these are simple stats..these are all the minutes where Bogans was guarding Kobe 1 on 1, obviously with help..not looking too much into the stats, just putting them out here for people to see..

December 2008..

1st quarter: 3-8 vs. Bogans..
2nd quarter: 4-6 vs. Bogans..
3rd quarter: 0-1 vs. Bogans..
4th quarter: 1-5 vs. Bogans..

Kobe ended the game by going 8-20 from the field vs. Bogans..

December 2nd 2007..

1st quarter: 4-6..Kobe rains a flurry of 3s..
2nd quarter: Mo Evans defended Kobe..
3rd quarter: 1-4 vs. Bogans..
4th quarter: 1-3 vs. Bogans..

Kobe ended the game 6-13 vs. Bogans..

February 8th 2008..

1st quarter: 2-2 vs. Bogans..
2nd quarter: 1-3 vs. Bogans..
3rd quarter: 0-0 vs. Bogans, multiple turnovers..
4th quarter: 2-6 vs. Bogans..

Kobe ended the game by going 5-11 vs. Bogans..

Bogans is obviously known around the NBA as a lock-down defender with mediocre offense, and these stats show it..he's defended Kobe better than most defenders in the NBA IMO..in these games, he was used primarily to defend Kobe, and was inserted and taken out of games almost always at the same as Kobe..he also did a solid job defending in the 4th quarters..

Kobe defends him in the same way that he used to defend Bruce though, except Bogans doesn't have the offense to make the Lakers pay..Kobe also draws a lot of fouls against him, which wasn't the case vs. Bowen..

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice. :tu

portnoy1
Come on guys...Mase had two BAD games during the playoffs, (after being placed at the 1, then benched) but we need that knockdown shooter on the team. I know some would say we can't have guys standing on the perimeter the whole game, but this is why we have guys like RJ who will play extended minutes rather than someone like Finley.The 3pt line isn't that Vital if you move the ball around quick enough or you get a nice little while to line things up from the 3 cause of good penetration from guards ( Manu/Jefferson can knock down and create enough 3pt shots to keep the defense honest) .

tav1
09-21-2009, 05:44 PM

Luck. :p:

Solid D
09-21-2009, 05:47 PM
It's a pleasant surprise to see this signing. He had a real nice season with Orlando in 2007-08 where he had a key 3-point shooting role. He started almost half the games that year and averaged 8.6 ppg regular season and 7.3 ppg in 10 playoff games.

To get this type of physical, energy player, in a system with a great shooting coach at the minimum salary is good. He hasn't demonstrated the basketball IQ that Udoka has but this signing is good for certain matchups. He should be able to guard Jet Terry better than Mason does, he's quick enough not to draw that many fouls, and he can stick the corner 3.

Hopefully, he can mentally engage enough to learn the Spurs' system and not get buried on the bench.

Oh, and quit trying to trade Mason. Mason is better than Bogans and the Spurs need scoring punch too.

DPG21920
09-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Exactly, why trade Mason? Finley is clearly the one that needs to be traded if anyone at all. This is not even a close call.

mountainballer
09-21-2009, 05:51 PM
very very good move (for a minimum signing). Bogans is pretty much exactly the same player like Ime, but he should be slightly better in every aspect of the game and also a bit quicker. so that's an upgrade and there is also the chance that he will flourish with the Spurs. (what Ime not exactly did).
I agree that Fin looks more and more like the 5th weel, the only point left is the size advantage he brings over all the 6'5'' wings Spurs now have. however, a 6'5'' Bogans might defend bigger than the 6'7'' Finley these days.

as mentioned, a move of Fin+another player would make the most sense. most think it would be Bonner and there are some good reasons. Spurs might be willing to take back a longer contract, if therefore they save some money and tax in the short run. I also wouldn't rule out a package of Fin+Ian. (Fin+Matt+Ian? why not?)

portnoy1
09-21-2009, 05:57 PM
All im saying is with this new signing filling the defensive specialist position that was up in the air we can now use some other guys that dont serve that big of purpose for a REAL Big man that will be needed to compete against the lakers/Cavs. So it's not that Mason Jr. is bad, I like what he brings but if there is way we can get a shot blocker and he is part of the key, I would be willing to deal him.

Solid D
09-21-2009, 05:57 PM
timvp, gets his first "kluby" in a while. You earned it with your self-gloss. At least you didn't go third-person on us this time.

http://www.fullsportpress.com/backpatternew.gif

MaNu4Tres
09-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Yeah I know getting rid of Mason is such a terrible idea. Having someone to stand in the corner to shoot 3's at a 40 percent clip 20 minutes a game is so hard to replace.

portnoy1
09-21-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm also getting tired of so many people trying to get rid of Mason..he's one of the best 3-point shooters in the entire league, and he'll have much less of a ball-handling and defending role with our new additions this season..

if we trade Finley AND Mason, then we have no great 3-point shooters on this team, and that would be suicide with our system..Yes, you mean our stand around system. The league has changed, I would like to see Pop make some Offensive adjustments. Its kinda weird to, cause' he tried to keep his Defensive Philosophy with Players that couldn't really D up ( Bonner / Finley ) while Trying to Change his Offensive Philosophy with Players that Put up shots an nothing else. With all the Talent that the Spurs have now, I'm excited to see how Pop decides to use these guys.

coyotes_geek
Whats wrong with Camby? Honestly we were all wondering about Wing specialist Position and it got filled. Were still talking about a big tall shot blocker that can play 25mins or more EVERYGAME ( See Ratliff ). Who's to say that wont get filled. Pop already said that with all the moves the spurs have made their still beaten by the Lakers in length.

There's nothing wrong with Camby. There's plenty wrong with your notion that the Clippers are going to want to trade him to us for Finley, Bonner and Mason.

bad news for hairston and williams if finley doesn't get traded. maybe the grizzlies will want finley. bogans' offense is pretty poor for a spot up shooter role, career 39.4 FG% and 35.1 3PT%. his defense will hopefully negate that disadvantage though. bogans' career is pretty much in the same stage as bowen's when bowen first joined the spurs. bounced around from team to team with inconsistent FG percentages.

benefactor
09-21-2009, 06:03 PM
timvp, gets his first "kluby" in a while. You earned it with your self-gloss. At least you didn't go third-person on us this time.

http://www.fullsportpress.com/backpatternew.gif
:lol

Spurs Brazil
09-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Very good signing. I think we needed someone to play the Udoka role (Bruce D is impossible to find).

Now we have RJ/Manu/Mason Jr/Finley/Bogans at the wings

If Williams shows he can play PG I think he'll get the 15th spot.

coyotes_geek
09-21-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm also getting tired of so many people trying to get rid of Mason..he's one of the best 3-point shooters in the entire league, and he'll have much less of a ball-handling and defending role with our new additions this season..

if we trade Finley AND Mason, then we have no great 3-point shooters on this team, and that would be suicide with our system..

Bingo. This year Mason will be the perfect fit for the role he'll be asked to fill. Last year he was asked to be Manu and he wasn't up to the task. That's not his fault.

portnoy1
09-21-2009, 06:05 PM
There's nothing wrong with Camby. There's plenty wrong with your notion that the Clippers are going to want to trade him to us for Finley, Bonner and Mason.
Thats fine if we dont get Camby, I'm just talking about getting rid of first of all Bonner/Finley for a tall shotblocker/rebounder. Camby came to mind and that meant another player to trade, Mason Jr. fit the bill. If there are others that come at a cheaper price ( Just Finley/Bonner ) I'd love to have them.

benefactor
09-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Barring any kind of situation where we move Finley, I think its safe to say we are ready to head into the season. Let's do this.

Spurs Brazil
09-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Bingo. This year Mason will be the perfect fit for the role he'll be asked to fill. Last year he was asked to be Manu and he wasn't up to the task. That's not his fault.

I agree with that. Before the RJ trade I wanted to see Mason Jr traded but with RJ on the team Mason Jr we'll need to be only Mason Jr and then he'll be fine

TimDunkem
09-21-2009, 06:11 PM
I said nothing like that.

coyotes_geek
09-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Thats fine if we dont get Camby, I'm just talking about getting rid of first of all Bonner/Finley for a tall shotblocker/rebounder. Camby came to mind and that meant another player to trade, Mason Jr. fit the bill. If there are others that come at a cheaper price ( Just Finley/Bonner ) I'd love to have them.

If the Spurs can pull it off I'm all for it. But realistically the bar at what you can expect to get back from a Finley/Bonner package is going to be pretty low. It's going to be a guy making $5+ mil a year who has multiple years left on his contract and whose previous team is content to give away for pretty much nothing.

tomtom
09-21-2009, 06:16 PM
I forget, is Haislip guaranteed?

MaNu4Tres
09-21-2009, 06:17 PM
If we can get back a piece for Roger Mason like Andres Nocioni. You do it.

Andres Nocioni may not shoot 42 percent but he shoots in the high 30's. Nocioni rebounds better, defends better, can create off the dribble better, has more length to contest shots, has a higher BB IQ, all those things make Nocioni a no brainer for Mason.

Mason's role will be to play 20-23 minutes a game and shoot open threes. He brings nothing else on the other end.

Moving RJ to the 2 and having Nocioni at the 3>> RJ at the 3 and Mason at the 2. IMO

Mason can be replaced but it has to be for the right price.

TimDunkem
09-21-2009, 06:19 PM
I forget, is Haislip guaranteed?
Yes. For the first year I believe.

portnoy1
09-21-2009, 06:20 PM
If the Spurs can pull it off I'm all for it. But realistically the bar at what you can expect to get back from a Finley/Bonner package is going to be pretty low. It's going to be a guy making $5+ mil a year who has multiple years left on his contract and whose previous team is content to give away for pretty much nothing.
thats cool any suggestions?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Damn I'm good.

Indeed you are. :toast

Agree, although won't Finley be kept for injury insurance?

With Bonner's role duplicated by Haislp, and now Bogans freeing up Finley, those guys have become even more expendable by the deadline. We may be able to pick up a nice player for $5.75mil +/-.

As for Bogans, he's very solid - good defender, hits the 3, happy to play a role. Yet another hit to add to the home runs that were Jefferson and Blair, and the triple that was Dice.

Best off-season in recent Spurs history. :smokin

murpjf88
09-21-2009, 06:28 PM
2007-08 season: The poor man's Bruce Bowen, Bogans is clearly modeling himself on the shoot-3s-and-defend blueprint created by San Antonio's veteran stopper. More than two-thirds of his shot attempts were 3-pointers, and that was about all he did offensively -- Bogans had the fourth-lowest usage rate among shooting guards and the sixth-lowest turnover ratio.

He handled his offensive role fairly well, hitting 36.2 percent of his 3-pointers, and threw in a nice surprise with the low turnover ratio -- he cut it nearly in half from the previous season, largely a result of removing ill-fated drives from his offensive repertoire. He filled his defensive role reasonably well too -- Orlando gave up 2.4 fewer points per 48 minutes with him on the court, and he got his foul rate under control after hacking like crazy a year earlier.

Scouting report: Bogans is 6-5 and a decent ball handler, but lacks the jets to get to the rim and the skill to finish once he arrives. As a result, he does nearly all his damage as a spot-up shooter, and in recent years he's embraced this role and stopped trying to be a scorer.

Bogans is a tough-minded defender who plays physical and has decent quickness, but he's not quick or springy enough to be in the elite category; short arms also hurt him on close-outs. He's a stay-at-home guy with low rates of blocks and steals, but has value as a specialist because he'll make his man work for his points and is a quiet sniper at the offensive end.

2008-09 outlook: The arrival of Mickael Pietrus and Courtney Lee is certainly a threat to Bogans' minutes, but chances are he inherits a major role off the bench as the primary wing reserve. He probably won't match last season's 26.9 minutes a game, a number inflated by his heavy minutes prior to the Mo Evans trade, and that will hurt his per-game averages. But he's been very consistent year-to-year in shooting percentage and PER, and he should continue at that level for the foreseeable future.

Most similar at age: voshon lenard
(http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/players/hollinger?playerId=465)

ajballer4
09-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Quick Question...Wasnt Pop working Hill to become the "lock down" guy. I remember him playing D against Kobe in one Laker game but since hes a bit small he didnt do so well

portnoy1
09-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Quick Question...Wasnt Pop working Hill to become the "lock down" guy. I remember him playing D against Kobe in one Laker game but since hes a bit small he didnt do so wellNot true, Kobe didn't get to the rim once while GHill was guarding him. You cant stop kobe, you just want to take away his high % looks, Hill did that. Kobe beat the spurs with jump shots, one was a deep corner 3.

completely deck
09-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Quick Question...Wasnt Pop working Hill to become the "lock down" guy. I remember him playing D against Kobe in one Laker game but since hes a bit small he didnt do so well

There's your answer.

TimDunkem
09-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Against other point guards, and smaller 2's maybe.

angelbelow
09-21-2009, 06:44 PM
i like it. he can shoot the 3 too.

iManu
09-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Bogans, Williams/Hairston, Finley, Bonner picks whatever for Nocioni would negate the need for a shot blocker. Even if it takes Money Mase, that is one heck of a "world class" pick up (anyone that has seen Noc play with Manu will agree.)

That would be SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK.

SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fucking sick.

Therefore, I feel like it's impossible for us to pull it off.

He shot 44% from the field AND from 3pt last season.

We should not trade Mason and Finley together for Camby. While giving us most likely the BEST defensive bigs in the game (including my main man Blairzilla) it really would take some ability to spread the offense for Tony of our backcourt. It might work if we had Barry back from 2 years ago to play his 5-10 minutes a game.

We are not sitting bad as we are.

No, not at all. Not at all. :toast

portnoy1
09-21-2009, 06:45 PM
If Spurs trade Finley and Bonner they can get D. Diop from the bobcats. Diop's Contract is 6million for 3 years. I dont like that but I do like that he is 7-0 tall and can block shots. He is also big size-wise and can still move well to defend the Pick N Roll. Downside is ofcourse the 3 year contract and that he doesn't have an offensive game. However we need that Size to compete with the Lakers and a guy like him might be the answer starting next Tim for 20 mins a game and Having Mcdyess take care of the rest.

Mel_13
09-21-2009, 06:50 PM
If Spurs trade Finley and Bonner they can get D. Diop from the bobcats. Diop's Contract is 6million for 3 years. I dont like that but I do like that he is 7-0 tall and can block shots. He is also big size-wise and can still move well to defend the Pick N Roll. Downside is ofcourse the 3 year contract and that he doesn't have an offensive game. However we need that Size to compete with the Lakers and a guy like him might be the answer starting next Tim for 20 mins a game and Having Mcdyess take care of the rest.

26.8M for 4 yrs

mookie2001
09-21-2009, 06:56 PM
6'5, 215 Pounds, I'll take him backing up RJ.

Parker/Hill
Manu/Roger
RJ/Bogans
Duncan/Blair
Mcdyess/Ian

iManu
09-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Course, I'd trade one of my balls for SJax.

:huddle:

mookie2001
09-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Hill
Bogans
RJ
Duncan
Ratliff

G - Parker / Hill
G - Bogans / Manu

Contract Locked:

Parker
Mason
RJ
TD
Dice
Manu
Hill
Bonner
Blair
Haislip
Finley
Ratliff
Bogans
Probables:

Hairston
Williams
Mahinmi
Gist
Depth Chart:

TP-Hill-Williams
Mason-Manu-Finley
RJ-Bogans-Hairston-Gist
Dice-Blair-Bonner-Haislip
TD-Ratliff-Mahinmi

Some positions are interchangeable.

bigdog
09-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Solid move. This probably makes Finley expendable. If not, then this is definitely not looking good for either Hairston or Williams.

wildbill2u
09-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Buford said after the Jefferson trade, to paraphrase, that "Bruce defended the top opposition wings for a long time, and we won't be negligent in that pursuit either", when discussing what the Spurs had in store for the remainder of the off season.

Clearly, this was their wing defender addition, I'm just surprised it's coming this late in the off season. By now, I, like most, had assumed Hairston would get that spot. At this point, that's 14 guaranteed contracts, and the way Buford spoke of Williams in an interview during summer league, I have to think he get's the 15th spot, assuming the Spurs carry 15.

Bogans is a more proven version of what the Spurs want Hairston to become. He can defend, is a decent athlete, and can hit the three, but he's a slightly undersized two who presumably will spend the majority of his time with the Spurs at the three. In essence, he's a marginally more talented version of Udoka.

On the one hand, it's one more proven player, who's still relatively young, at 29. On the other hand, I think Hairston has at least the upside to become what Bogans is, and could become potentially better. Hopefully, the Spurs can keep him stashed away on the Toros for one more season without another team snatching him up, and then next season when Finley is more than likely gone, he and/or McClinton can take his roster spot.

Marginally better than some younger players with more upside and size???

At 6'5" he's not gonna guard many SFs.

HarlemHeat37
09-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Hairston SHOULD definitely be better than Bogans in at least a year or 2, he clearly has better tools..I don't know if he would be a better option right now though..a guy like Malik with that role at this stage is dangerous, since he's inexperienced, and he won't get any respect from the refs..

Bogans obviously has experience, since he's been used as a defensive stopper for years now..he's also a veteran, so he'll obviously get more respect from the refs..

TD 21
09-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Marginally better than some younger players with more upside and size???

At 6'5" he's not gonna guard many SFs.

HarlemHeat37 brings up a good point about being a veteran and getting respect from the refs. That's important. Not that Hairston would have been in the playoff rotation, but in the event the Spurs need another defensive minded wing to guard Bryant, Roy, etc., it's better to have a veteran fulfilling that role.

Bogans may not be all that much better than Hairston right now, but at least in his case you know what you're going to get. Like I said though, I'd like to see Hairston kept in the pipeline in the form of another year on the Toros, before being given a legit chance to stick full time next year.

Bogans is a strong 6'5'' though, like Udoka. Udoka is 220, Bogans is 215. He'll primarily spend his time guarding high scoring wings period, whether it's at SG or SF.

Solid D
09-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Course, I'd trade one of my balls for SJax.

:huddle:

If they had descended, yet, you wouldn't have even suggested this.

benefactor
09-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Hmmm. Well this is an interesting move indeed. I always felt that Keith Bogans never reached his highest level of play. I thought he could have been a very solid role player that might have an all star season or two.

Also this gives the Spurs some depth if they trade Finley/Mason for Jack.
I wholeheartedly approve of this move...but even with all the spending our FO has done I still wonder if they are willing to take on his contract.

He would be great Manu insurance though....:stirpot:

completely deck
09-21-2009, 08:06 PM

Spurs Brazil
09-21-2009, 08:14 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/09/spurs-poised-to.html

Spurs poised to land Bogans
By Jeff McDonald on Sep 21, 09 08:04 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) Save & Share Yahoo! BuzzYahoo! Newsvine del.icio.us Facebook Google Reddit Fark
The Spurs have reached a verbal agreement to sign journeyman guard Keith Bogans.

Bogans, 29, averaged six points per game for Milwaukee last season. He made his name throughout a five-year NBA career as a steady perimeter defender. The Spurs hope the 6-foot-5 Bogans can help fill the defensive void created when they dealt Bruce Bowen in June.

Bogans is expected to formally sign a contract later this week.

At least one of Bogans' soon-to-be teammates has rolled out the figurative welcome wagon for him. On his Facebook page Monday night, Manu Ginobili posted this message for Bogans: "Welcome to the family, man."

It isn't yet known whether the one-year deal offered Bogans, worth the veteran's minimum of $1.03 million, is fully guaranteed or a make-good contract.

If it is the former, it would give the Spurs 14 players with guaranteed contracts heading into next week's training camp, and would likely leave non-guaranteed players like Marcus Williams and Malik Hairston fighting for the final roster spot.

lennyalderette
09-21-2009, 08:15 PM
keith bogans is a great pick up for that price, i like the defense he can give us, guys we are not going to trade mason period!!! not going to happen, bonner finley are very possible, but lets go back to chemistry we still need guys who know our system like the back of their hand!! finley hardly has value, but bonner and finley can prob get us something, but i wouldnt even want to marcus camby? hes 35!! plus the clippers are not going to trade him. did you guys take a look at the power rankings? rj dislocatedc his thumb and now we fall to 5th!!! god i cant wait to fuck l.a up

TDMVPDPOY
09-21-2009, 08:17 PM
finley/mason/bonner has to go.....throw in mahinmi/williams/hairston if we have too

lennyalderette
09-21-2009, 08:19 PM
i know im going to get shit for this, but us die hard fans should get together on spurs games and have some beers or take road trips to dallas, or houston. if anyone here is up for it let me know

EricB
09-21-2009, 08:25 PM
The retards on this forum need to quit trying to trade Mason and Bonner.....

Good lord.

peacemaker885
09-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Wonder if Jefferson put in a good word or two...

Mr. Body
09-21-2009, 08:38 PM
The retards on this forum need to quit trying to trade Mason and Bonner.....

Good lord.

No joke. Bonner gives us good depth. Mason will be a terrific spot starter or bench player.

raspsa
09-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Kobe stopper?

loveforthegame
09-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Nice move. Low risk/high reward type signing. :tu

I know many are hoping Finley is being traded but I think this has more to do with Williams or Hairston.

coyotes_geek
09-21-2009, 09:09 PM
I know many are hoping Finley is being traded but I think this has more to do with Williams or Hairston.

To start the season, yes. Williams or Hairston just lost a spot on the roster. But after we're a couple of months into the season and we see how the rotation is shaking out things could change if Finley becomes a guy Pop feels like he could live without.

What this move really does is allow the Spurs to explore the idea of trading Finley without having to worry about depending on an unproven player to be RJ's backup if they're able to find a taker.

phxspurfan
09-21-2009, 09:27 PM
:toast Thank God Pop finally answered the question: "Who will guard Kobe?"

FromWayDowntown
09-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Manu's twitter:

Looks like we just signed Keith Bogans! Welcom to the family man.

So Bogans is a family man, too?

:)

loveforthegame
09-21-2009, 09:37 PM
To start the season, yes. Williams or Hairston just lost a spot on the roster. But after we're a couple of months into the season and we see how the rotation is shaking out things could change if Finley becomes a guy Pop feels like he could live without.

What this move really does is allow the Spurs to explore the idea of trading Finley without having to worry about depending on an unproven player to be RJ's backup if they're able to find a taker.

I agree but we figured as much that Finley (and Bonner or Mahinmi) would be expendable during the season should the Spurs have to make a trade. If Bogans fits right in then it takes the pressure off the Spurs of having to make a trade at all. Just let the expirings run off the books instead.

But many seem to think we could be trading Finley before camp now that Bogans is signed. I don't think that's the case. If anything, I think Finley takes Udoka's spot of last wing in the rotation. Log some DNP's, play garbage minutes.

DPG21920
09-21-2009, 09:42 PM
If the Spurs can dump someone, like Finley, that they won't use, it could save the management a nice chunk of money. It is great that they are willing to spend in order to win, but I am all for them saving money where they can.

iManu
09-21-2009, 09:43 PM

My balls HAVE descended, but that doesn't mean I get to use them. :hang

With the new state of things, I think Nocioni is ideal, Camby second, and SJax third. Money Mase is expendable to me only in a Nocioni or SJax deal.

We can wait until the deadline for all I know, though it would be helpful to bring Nocioni right away. I don't know how important it would be to familiarize Camby, he would mainly become our defensive junky. (No pun intended.) Jackson is familiar with the system.

Course, Kaman would be great to have. I'd trade one of my balls for him.

coyotes_geek
09-21-2009, 09:53 PM
I agree but we figured as much that Finley (and Bonner or Mahinmi) would be expendable during the season should the Spurs have to make a trade. If Bogans fits right in then it takes the pressure off the Spurs of having to make a trade at all. Just let the expirings run off the books instead.

But many seem to think we could be trading Finley before camp now that Bogans is signed. I don't think that's the case. If anything, I think Finley takes Udoka's spot of last wing in the rotation. Log some DNP's, play garbage minutes.

Agreed that Finley won't get moved before the season starts.

SpursFan0728
09-21-2009, 10:06 PM

So we pay Finley 2.5 million for a bunch of DNP?

No. Dump him and give his spot for Hariston and Williams so they can get another year of experience.

Buddy Holly
09-21-2009, 10:11 PM
He's athletic.

HRWSlBQPqBM

HarlemHeat37
09-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Bogans actually isn't very athletic, it's part of the reason he struggles offensively..

coyotes_geek
09-21-2009, 10:18 PM
He's strong, he works hard on D, he's decent from 3 if you give him time to set up his shot. That's about it. He's not particularly athletic or skilled.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Digging this signing. I get a big feeling that Finley is getting dumped though.

ducks
09-21-2009, 10:24 PM
So we pay Finley 2.5 million for a bunch of DNP?

No. Dump him and give his spot for Hariston and Williams so they can get another year of experience.

spurs paid steve smith over 8 milion for lots of dnp

steve smith earned his money tell tp to use his legs more in warm up in phoenix
tp got hot face lit up
he killed suns that game

EricB
09-21-2009, 10:26 PM
No joke. Bonner gives us good depth. Mason will be a terrific spot starter or bench player.

Agreed, just because Bonner was played out of position doesn't make him a bad player.

Mason IMO if used in the Michael Finley role of 07 should blossom giganticly.

Lots of crazy depth on this team now with this signing.

Solid D
09-21-2009, 10:28 PM
As little as the Spurs used Bowen last year, it appears the Spurs have improved their D and rebounding in the off-season.
Jefferson and Bogans on the perimeter.
McDyess, Ratliff and Blair on the interior.

Healthy players will make everything better, though.

loveforthegame
09-21-2009, 10:36 PM
I don't see why some think they have to dump Finley just to save money. They seem committed to paying this year if it makes the team better. I think Finley would be more valuable to the team come playoff time than Williams or Hairston would. Especially if there's not a lot of minutes to be had after Richardson, Ginobli, Mason, Bogans.

I'm sure if they have an opportunity to trade someone to save money they will do so. But it's not like they have to scramble and dump someone right away. If at all.

They have some crazy depth now. Need to find out if it all comes together though. And with the way other teams have loaded up it's not a bad thing for the Spurs to be loaded either.

urunobili
09-21-2009, 10:38 PM
ilikee! :tu

I feel some bodies are on their way out though...

TDMVPDPOY
09-21-2009, 10:41 PM
HOW old is bogans?

loveforthegame
09-21-2009, 10:43 PM
HOW old is bogans?

I think the article in the OP said 29.

TIMMYD!
09-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Someone is out.....

ducks
09-21-2009, 10:52 PM
manu?
good if healthy if you ok paying him 9 million for 25 minutes a night
and risk him being hurt again the playoffs for the 3 year in a row

ducks
09-21-2009, 10:54 PM
finley?
pop man crush nope

ducks
09-21-2009, 10:54 PM
mason?
contract year
makes no sence

ducks
09-21-2009, 10:57 PM
jefferson?

just got can not trade him

ducks
09-21-2009, 11:00 PM
more youth movement

ducks
09-21-2009, 11:01 PM
good hit upton
2 rbi's

ducks
09-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Clearly you have not heard of the Q-Rich nation wide tour this summer.

Anyways I'd say that if a trade happens there are 3-1 odds we don't expect the trade but we like it.

no one ever picks spurs trades

ducks
09-21-2009, 11:03 PM
would you trade manu for a lottery pick?

ducks
09-21-2009, 11:04 PM
So this is how you have nearly 40k posts.

so quoting people is how you have post?:downspin:

ducks
09-21-2009, 11:05 PM
No. Our time to win is now.

no kidding
players have to be healthy to play in playoffs

Solid D
09-21-2009, 11:05 PM
manu?
good if healthy if you ok paying him 9 million for 25 minutes a night
and risk him being hurt again the playoffs for the 3 year in a row

$10.73 million in a contract year + the Spurs' championship hopes.

duncan228
09-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Updated.

Spurs obtain journeyman guard Bogans (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_obtain_journeyman_guard_Bogans.html)
Jeff McDonald

When the Spurs included Bruce Bowen in the June trade that pried scoring star Richard Jefferson from Milwaukee, they were well aware that doing so would create quite a void on the other end of the floor.

Bowen, after all, was an eight-time member of the NBA’s All-Defensive team and widely regarded as one of the most suffocating perimeter defenders in league history. Those kinds of players don’t necessarily grow on trees.

“Bruce has been a great defender at the wing,” general manager R.C. Buford said at the time. “We’re not going to be negligent in that pursuit. That’s a piece of our plan going forward.”

With a week to go before the start of training camp, the Spurs appear poised to add the perimeter defender they’ve been chasing all summer.

Keith Bogans, the 29-year-old journeyman guard who spent the final 29 games of last season playing with Jefferson in Milwaukee, has agreed to a one-year deal worth the veteran’s minimum of $1.03 million to join the Spurs.

Bogans, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard, has averaged 7.5 points over a five-year career that includes stints with seven teams. He averaged 5.6 points in 65 games last season, split between the Magic and the Bucks.

Like Bowen before him, however, Bogans has built his professional reputation on the defensive end.

As news of Bogans’ impending arrival to San Antonio circulated Monday night, at least one of Bogans’ soon-to-be Spurs teammates rolled out the figurative welcome wagon. On his Facebook page, Manu Ginobili posted this message to Bogans: “Welcome to the family, man!”

It is not immediately clear whether Bogans’ contract is fully guaranteed or if it is a make-good deal for camp. Bogans is expected to formally sign the contract later this week.

ducks
09-21-2009, 11:10 PM
$10.75 million in a contract year + the Spurs' championship hopes.

spurs should get a decent player and pick
a team looking to dump salary

Spurs 21+20+9=50
09-21-2009, 11:11 PM
With a week to go before the start of training camp, the Spurs appear poised to add the perimeter defender they’ve been chasing all summer.

Interesting.

ducks
09-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Interesting.

they waited it out
they made their low offer
and no other team offered alot more

16 words:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

DPG21920
09-21-2009, 11:12 PM
He's athletic.

HRWSlBQPqBM

This is where you got into trouble "scouting" Roger Mason Jr. One youtube clip does not tell you about the guys game. You have to watch him. He is in the NBA, so he is "athletic", but it is not his strong suit.

Solid D
09-21-2009, 11:20 PM

spurs should get a decent player and pick
a team looking to dump salary

completely deck
09-21-2009, 11:37 PM
McDonald is right about us missing a big part of our D with Bruce retiring. I don't know much about Bogans but I hope he can somewhat fill that void (giggity).

SpursFan0728
09-21-2009, 11:48 PM
I don't see why some think they have to dump Finley just to save money. They seem committed to paying this year if it makes the team better. I think Finley would be more valuable to the team come playoff time than Williams or Hairston would. Especially if there's not a lot of minutes to be had after Richardson, Ginobli, Mason, Bogans.

I'm sure if they have an opportunity to trade someone to save money they will do so. But it's not like they have to scramble and dump someone right away. If at all.

They have some crazy depth now. Need to find out if it all comes together though. And with the way other teams have loaded up it's not a bad thing for the Spurs to be loaded either.

With the roster we have now, I doubt Fin will get much if not any minutes during playoff time. Parker Manu Duncan Dyss Mason Jefferson we have enough fire weapons.

Hairston Defense is the thing I want to see develop during the course of the year. Finley is done. IMO he should have retried before Bowen.

Blackjack
09-21-2009, 11:50 PM
I suppose I could go back and find a post of mine that alluded to this acquisition.. Or, I could talk about Bogans being a 6-5'' body double for Billups and essentially a more laterally quick Udoka with less strength and ability to take on the majority of the Algerian NT -- Ya know, Mortal Kombat-style. -- but I'm going to hold off on the speculation...

At least until Don Harris can confirm this 'rumor' with his sources, after which he can 'break the news.':hat

Spursfanfromafar
09-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Good move by the Spurs; opens us a vista for one more trade.

My best case scenario ( don't know if it is going to happen or not ) -

Trade Matt Bonner and Michael Finley for Shane Battier. Battier can play as a tweener guarding short forwards,shooting guards and play help defense effectively against PFs such as Nowitzki. Besides, he is one guy with a high Basketball IQ - (the No Stats All Star cue Michael Lewis/ NYT). His contract is worth $6.9m and $7.3m till 2011.. nice tradeable commodity next year if things don't work out and is neither cheap nor atrociously expensive.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=nnguh4 says it can happen...

Houston's offensive woes say it can happen (with Finley/Bonner's added scoring punch).. Trevor Ariza's arrival also makes it possible.. With Bonner & Finley's expiring + T-Mac's $20m expiring, Houston will be even more well positioned for 2010's FApalooza to add to a recovered Yao & company.

What say,you?

ducks
09-21-2009, 11:58 PM
jefferson + , mason
are high hopes
they know they can not count on manu being healthy in finals

Kori Ellis
09-21-2009, 11:58 PM
I would have probably rather just let the young guys get the final spots. Bogans doesn't provide much in terms of D in my opinion, just because he's so short. Either way, you can't really complain about a possible 14th man.

ducks
09-21-2009, 11:59 PM

Trade Matt Bonner and Michael Finley for Shane Battier. Battier can play as a tweener guarding short forwards,shooting guards and play help defense effectively against PFs such as Nowitzki. Besides, he is one guy with a high Basketball IQ - (the No Stats All Star cue Michael Lewis/ NYT). His contract is worth $6.9m and $7.3m till 2011.. nice tradeable commodity next year if things don't work out and is neither cheap nor atrociously expensive.

Houston's offensive woes say it can happen (with Finley/Bonner's added scoring punch).. Trevor Ariza's arrival also makes it possible.. With Bonner & Finley's expiring + T-Mac's $20m expiring, Houston will be even more well positioned for 2010's FApalooza to add to a recovered Yao & company.

What say,you?bogans is kind of like battier
they are both good on d

DPG21920
09-22-2009, 12:01 AM
How does this turn into a trade Manu thread? Bogans is a solid defender, not fantastic, but much better than Finley or Udoka.

Kori Ellis
09-22-2009, 12:01 AM
bogans is kind of like battier
they are both good on d

No comparison between Battier and Bogans. Battier is 6'8 and considered one of the better wing defenders in the league. Though I think his D is overrated, he's light years ahead of Bogans.

Leetonidas
09-22-2009, 12:18 AM
They can't be serious with this move. He better be on the inactive list EVERY game. Bogans is COMPLETE GARBAGE. The only thing he is, is strong. His defense is average. Everything about him is decidedly average or worse. He can't shoot. He can't put the ball on the floor. Finley is WAY better, even at his age. It isn't even close. This is seriously a TERRIBLE move.

God damn you're a fucking idiot. they got him for his defense you moron, not his offensive game. That was made VERY clear in the articles. And yeah, signing a 14th man to a minimum contract is never a terrible move. Dumbass.

09-22-2009, 12:50 AM
i don't like this because it restricts the development of hairston or williams if the team is kept as is. but the move is definitely low risk and the spurs might even move finley back further in the rotation.

Blackjack
09-22-2009, 12:54 AM
This really isn't good news for Malik, sorry to say..

Bogans' game really fits the system pretty seamlessly in the Bowen/Udoka role with his corner-3's and defensive disposition, while Malik is an intriguing talent but the likes of which they've never really seen succeed in the program; not that they've had a player with a similar skill set to experiment with in the past.

Marcus was an R.C. special and a guy the team has really showed an affinity for as of late, so I don't see this signing hurting his chances as much. He brings a unique skill set combined with good size, who when you think about it, despite the concerns over his lack of foot speed, could potentially defend and rebound as well as the recently departed Ime. Throw in the potential to play the point and maybe even have him play alongside Hill for stretches, and he just brings a potential and aspect that the others fighting for a spot just don't have.

I think Bogans made sense all along because he was a known, solid commodity. You could easily see his game fitting within the Spurs' concept and, as a periphery player, the Spurs would be looking for known, dependable commodities to compliment all the talent they added. They weren't likely looking for upside, just some guys they could count on night-in and night-out to do their job and fill a role.

Bogans is exactly that type of player.

I will remain a staunch Hairston supporter and believer that, despite the addition of Bogans, he remains a top-3 perimeter, on-ball defender in the Spurs' program. -- The three being: Hill, Jefferson and Malik. -- but I understand the need for a veteran whose gained the respect of the officials and gives the team some added assurance with the experience he brings.

It's the percentage-play and the typical, classic way in which the Spurs go about their business.

Ditty
09-22-2009, 12:59 AM
great move

always like bogans espcially when he played for the rockets was a good 3 point shooter but never remember him making one really

never noticed his defense though

i hope finley and bonner will be shipped out and hairston and williams two guys who will be players if given the chance will fill those spots, and possibly play alot in garbage minutes if spurs blow out alot of teams this year and mclinton and gist spend the year in austin

crc21209
09-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Picking up Bogans for such a cheap price is pretty damn good. :tu I am looking very forward to this season! I can't wait!

timtonymanu
09-22-2009, 01:08 AM
Spurs trying to get an all former Bucks team to beat the Bucks (RJ, Haislip, Bogans).

on a serious note, i like the pickup. but hopefully Hairston makes the squad.

Ditty
09-22-2009, 01:14 AM
My hopeful Spurs 2009-2010 roster

Starters:
C:Tim Duncan
PF:Antonio Mcdyess
SF:Richard Jefferson
SG:Roger Mason
PG:Tony Parker

Bench:
C/PF:Ian Mahinmi
PF: Dejuan Blair
SF:Keith Bogans
SG:Manu Ginobili
PG:George Hill
C:Theo Ratliff
PF/SF:Marcus Haslip
SF/PG:Marcus Williams
SF/SG:Malik Hairston

mookie2001
09-22-2009, 01:24 AM

Starters:

Bench:
interesting

completely deck
09-22-2009, 01:24 AM
i don't like this because it restricts the development of hairston or williams if the team is kept as is. but the move is definitely low risk and the spurs might even move finley back further in the rotation.

do you want to win now.. or never?

Ditty
09-22-2009, 01:29 AM
interesting

the spurs average ago would be 28 years but if the spurs want to go to a full 15 man roster and have a 3 point shooter in close games to maybe knock down a 3 or cause defenses to collapse and pay attention to him if we need a 3 i think we need to add mcclinton but i hope he is a player for the spurs in the future just not now the same thing for gist but i believe haslip could do the same thing as gist but more athletic and better shooter and defender and extremly good dunker

completely deck
09-22-2009, 01:31 AM

Starters:

Bench:

heh. you forgot about me
/
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2810/mattbonner.jpg

Ditty
09-22-2009, 01:33 AM
heh. you forgot about me

/

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2810/mattbonner.jpg

well haslip can knock down 3's and is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more athletic than bonner but would be nice to get 2 2nd round picks for bonner and finley for some role players for the future

angelbelow
09-22-2009, 01:43 AM
He's athletic.

HRWSlBQPqBM

:downspin:

09-22-2009, 01:54 AM
do you want to win now.. or never?
there's no guarantee bogans will play better than hairston. hairston has good potential and i doubt the 14th man will be the difference maker. like i said, at least bogans is low risk with the only disadvantage being taking away minutes from hairston/williams.

Danny.Zhu
09-22-2009, 01:56 AM
Damn, I like low profile defensive players. Good move by the Spurs.

EricB
09-22-2009, 01:58 AM
there's no guarantee bogans will play better than hairston. hairston has good potential and i doubt the 14th man will be the difference maker. like i said, at least bogans is low risk with the only disadvantage being taking away minutes from hairston/williams.

Please, Marcus Williams sucks, and Hairston is no gaurantee.

EricB
09-22-2009, 02:03 AM

well haslip can knock down 3's and is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more athletic than bonner but would be nice to get 2 2nd round picks for bonner and finley for some role players for the future

Quit

TRYING

TO TRADE

MASON AND BONNER

STOP WITH THE FUCKING INSANITY PEOPLE!

Christ!

polandprzem
09-22-2009, 02:07 AM
Damn I'm good.

Personally, I don't think he's the right direction to go in. Pretty good defender but not anywhere close enough to Bowen's level to justify his below average offense. Doesn't help the Spurs in athleticism or anywhere outside of just being willing to defend.

phxspurfan
09-22-2009, 02:09 AM
Please, Marcus Williams sucks, and Hairston is no gaurantee.

Agree. They're both scrubs and Bogans will provide more production than both combined this year.

polandprzem
09-22-2009, 02:10 AM
bogans is a nice addition to the spurs

And it seems like Pop is buliding a team with combo guys, guys that can play two or three positions on the court depending the squad on the floor or depending what is needed.

timvp
09-22-2009, 02:16 AM
I post stuff that's already posted

Yeah, like I said, I don't think he's very good. He's an upgrade over Udoka ... but that's not saying much. After that post you quoted, the Spurs traded for Jefferson so Bogans role isn't nearly as big as it would be without Jefferson in the mix.

And besides, I didn't say I liked Bogans, I just connected the dots and figured he'd be Pop's man to be the next defensive reclamation process. But if all goes as planned, Bogans won't be playing much. He's more injury insurance than anything.

Bogans as the Bowen replacement in a possible starting role? Bad. Bogans as a deep, deep reserve? Fine.

As for Williams and Hairston, the pressure will be on to play well in training camp and preseason. The Spurs can make room for one or both if the need arises. As it stands, neither has proved that they are worthy of an NBA roster spot.

polandprzem
09-22-2009, 02:31 AM
Well I just didn't knew why you was so damn good :)

polandprzem
09-22-2009, 02:35 AM
IF bogans will do a good job we probably will gonna see Parker minutes drop.

and it seems like Pop will try to stay as fresh as possible during the season. I don't know if it's good all around but ok.

Manufan909
09-22-2009, 02:35 AM
Quit

TRYING

TO TRADE

MASON AND BONNER

Christ!

What if you want to trade just one+Fin?:p:

And to timvp, I think Hairston proved worthy of a spot last year. For a rookie who got shit minutes, he showed potential on both sides of the court. I didn't watch the game vs. the Cavs where they had came off an embarrassing loss, but I remember hearing Hairston did a solid job on Lebron. And doing a solid job on The Chosen One (dumbest nickname for an athlete to have) in his situation is extremely promising. Considering he was a rookie who got no respect from the zebras, was being zipped between sa and austin, and was never really given a true chance to be a role player, a la AToll. Plus, in the no Big 3 Denver game, he proved his worthiness to me. But maybe I just have lower standards.:lol

mountainballer
09-22-2009, 02:37 AM
This really isn't good news for Malik, sorry to say..

Bogans' game really fits the system pretty seamlessly in the Bowen/Udoka role with his corner-3's and defensive disposition, while Malik is an intriguing talent but the likes of which they've never really seen succeed in the program; not that they've had a player with a similar skill set to experiment with in the past.

Malik wouldn't have been better than the 5th wing in the rotation before the signing of Bogans.
if Fin was gone, it would be Malik fighting with Bogans for the 4th spot in the rotation.
if Malik, who has exactly the same size (so they are both a bit undersized), but is a far better athlete can't beat Bogans over a whole season, it will tell the Spurs a lot about his upside. so Bogans is also kind of an insurance for a Malik development fail.
if he can beat Bogans (I'm pretty sure), he is good enough to at least become a regular rotation wing for the Spurs future.
the key for Malik will be his 3pt shooting. no doubt he did improve, if he can constantly hit 3s at a 35%+ rate, he will take the 4th wing spot during the season.

MaNu4Tres
09-22-2009, 02:38 AM
Mason will not be a Spur in the 2010-2011 year you can book this.

mountainballer
09-22-2009, 02:43 AM
Mason will not be a Spur in the 2010-2011 year you can book this.

likely. De Colo looks pretty much like exactly the player to take his role. question is, will he be ready 2010? (don't know about his contract in Spain, but I guess he has an escape clause)

Chieflion
09-22-2009, 02:44 AM
Nothing like a vet minimum signing. Classic Spurs signing.

Fabbs
09-22-2009, 02:48 AM
Quit

TRYING

TO TRADE

MASON AND BONNER

Christ!
Keep

TRYING

TO TRADE

FINLEY AND BONNER

CONTINUE WITH THE CHAMPIONSHIP PURSUIT PEOPLE!

alamo50
09-22-2009, 03:08 AM
Absolutely love this pickup!
Awesome!!!

:downspin:

mountainballer
09-22-2009, 04:05 AM
one thought:
most think Fin will be traded and think for who, but what if the whole Bogans signing is part of a cost saving move?
Spurs could trade Fin for a TE AND include his salary in the move and still save some money. Bogans will cost 0.74 million (league pays the other part) plus 0.74 in tax. that's 1.5 million. Fin costs 2.5 and 2.5 in tax. that's 5.0. if they ship out Fin plus the 2.5 to cover his salary and replace him with Bogans, they will still have saved 1 million overall.
if they find a taker, who wants to play Fin (and he wants to play there, if they ship him to OKC, he might just retire), the other team might do the deal for even lower included salary.
currently 10 teams own a TE that is good enough to take Fin with nothing in return.
(Cavs, Pacers, Nets, Thunder, Blazers, Nuggets, Rockets, Lakers, Heat, Bulls)
the tax teams won't be interested and most don't have any use.
but the Bulls look somehow intriguing. they only have 13 players and they do have some room for a veteran wing, who can shoot. and Fin might be willing to go to his hometown for a last run and then end his career there.

09-22-2009, 04:08 AM
i think this is more of an insurance signing for popovich's defense first mentality. if jefferson doesn't live up to the expectations of defending the opposing team's best wing player, bogans can be there for insurance. bogan's offense though, is pretty awful. but bowen's offense was just as bad when he came to the spurs. maybe with the added offense, bogans can see more playing time.

i still would like to see what hariston can offer. he should get the 15th spot. best case for me is that finley moves far away from the rotation, leaving hairston to get some playing time during the regular season. having both finley and mason in the rotation seems redundant.

lurker23
09-22-2009, 04:19 AM
one thought:
most think Fin will be traded and think for who, but what if the whole Bogans signing is part of a cost saving move?
Spurs could trade Fin for a TE AND include his salary in the move and still save some money. Bogans will cost 0.74 million (league pays the other part) plus 0.74 in tax. that's 1.5 million. Fin costs 2.5 and 2.5 in tax. that's 5.0. if they ship out Fin plus the 2.5 to cover his salary and replace him with Bogans, they will still have saved 1 million overall.
if they find a taker, who wants to play Fin (and he wants to play there, if they ship him to OKC, he might just retire), the other team might do the deal for even lower included salary.
currently 10 teams own a TE that is good enough to take Fin with nothing in return.
but the Bulls look somehow intriguing. they only have 13 players and they do have some room for a veteran wing, who can shoot. and Fin might be willing to go to his hometown for a last run and then end his career there.

I could certainly see this happening, though if the Spurs are just going to salary dump Finley, it would likely be closer to the trade deadline when they're more certain that they can live without him. The only thing that would really accelerate this kind of move would be if the Spurs are really high on 2 of Hairston/Williams/McClinton/Gist and need to open up a roster spot.

c@t
09-22-2009, 04:30 AM

Dude's offensive works have long been overlooked and badly underrated IMHO. For most guards of his size, it's generally a difficult or more fairly said, a scary work to grip the ball hobbling into a huddle of 7-footers in the paint. But that's never been something Bogans feels slightly loath to do.

But I don't think a minimum is accurate to bait him, though he might join Spurs for some reason like the slim possibility of winning a ring with the skunks. Bogan is still relatively young, hence he probably won't follow Gary Payton's straggle to join a team for the only purpose of tailcoating a ring. If Spurs seriously can't offer him any bigger bid than minimum, I guess he will probably join a team that offers him double or even triple as minimum value.

Even if he is urgent enough to accept minimum, I think many other teams are better options for him than Spurs at every dimension. At least Spurs haven't got the largest possibility to win title next season in sight of the whole league, or even in sight of the single lone-star state of Texas.

c@t
09-22-2009, 04:51 AM

Finley is more of a help than Bonner to Spurs IMHO, especially in terms of experience. Anyway you can't even argue someone in his 20s is more experienced than a brown-bearded Findog.

The smart choice for Spurs should be keeping Findog for one more season or two while he is still not too old to work, however, trading him away seems like the worst option possible at present. The truth is no team wants to lose even expiring craps for a worn-out stained dog, not to mention picks or any other valuable stocks, a future pick consideration is the finest scenario I can speculate for Spurs. For those rebuilding teams, it makes little sense to acquire an old dog whose athleticism has already retired actually. Such a vet on team is definitely positve rather than negative a conmident for a team who still believe they're serious contenders, particularly for the Spurs team whose games are even slow enough for grandmas to join.

c@t
09-22-2009, 04:58 AM
If financial issues are the only reason to propel the projection of departing Findog, then Spurs have got a mold to replicate. Rockets just did a similar trade in the past season, in which they sent Francis together with 2.5 million cash to Memphis for a 2nd-rounder consideration. The 2.5 million was projected as SF's buy-out cost, then Rockets was enabled to sign Mutombo with their payroll remaining under threshold. The Spurs need to find a team with 2m trade exception to send off Findog, but I doubt Spurs have such loyal affiliates to get it done.

Bruno
09-22-2009, 05:57 AM

Bulls don't have a TE big enough to take Finley.
http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/tradeexceptions.jsp

And Bulls are also just below the luxury tax ($1M). Even if they had a TE big enough for Finley, they wouldn't do it because it would put them above the tax.

mattyc
09-22-2009, 06:36 AM
From my recollection, Bogans is pretty decent for what we want. For what he brings, and for his price, it could be a pretty good signing. I can't help but subscribe to the "imminent trade" theory though.

kobyz
09-22-2009, 06:48 AM
i think you underrating Bogans 3 point shooting

c@t
09-22-2009, 06:54 AM
i think you underrating Bogans 3 point shooting
His 3 pointers aren't what may help Spurs though, since Spurs have already got a full hand of shooters in Mason, Bonner, etc... But seriously, you can't find anyone except Manu and Tony on Spurs current squad that has the ability, or the willingness to attack the rim inside instead of danging it from the arc.

Muser
09-22-2009, 07:02 AM
His 3 pointers aren't what may help Spurs though, since Spurs have already got a full hand of shooters in Mason, Bonner, etc... But seriously, you can't find anyone except Manu and Tony on Spurs current squad that has the ability, or the willingness to attack the rim inside instead of danging it from the arc.

Jefferson.

portnoy1
09-22-2009, 07:07 AM
Once again, Finley has no use if Mason Jr. is knocking down 3's. Bonner has no use if Haislip is knocking down 3's. By the first or second month of the season I predict a trade involving bonner/Finley/Ian for a 7-0 footer. Like I said before Diop would be a good trade since he is big and can play 20min at center for 82games and get you 6/7 rebounds 1/2 blocks a night and defend the middle. Or the next best scenario besides camby would be Pryzbilla from Portland, however I doubt portland ( being a contender ) would give up a player to the Spurs.

anakha
09-22-2009, 07:10 AM
NERDRAGE

kobyz
09-22-2009, 07:13 AM

but i think he should play Mason minutes, he good 3 point shooter like Mason but unlike Mason he also play defense.

outmap
09-22-2009, 07:20 AM
I don't think they would be trading Fin, unfortunately it would probably be Mason and a Big (either Mahinmi or Bonner) for a Center (my guess is Diop). Sad, I already like the rotation and i don't see a reason to add Bogans unless another trade is in the works, he's good but Hairston and Williams will be better.

portnoy1
09-22-2009, 07:26 AM
We can all say what we want, but the bottom line is that something is brewing in the Spurs FO. They kinda talked down the Defensive Specialist situation with "RJ will take on the Oppositions best wing". Out of nowhere they get Bogans a Defensive Specialist. They haven't said to much about The problem in Middle, as in were obviously to short to Deal with the Lakers/Cavs. I smell a trade coming for a shotblocking 7-0 footer. Just keep in mind that they were trying to work a deal for RJ and happened 6months later. Which means they were trying to do it in the middle of the 2008-09 season. Also remember at the deadline they were trying to get Marcus Camby, Who knows what they might pull before the start of the season when it comes to the Center/Tall PF situation.

kobyz
09-22-2009, 07:27 AM
maybe Bogans can become the next Bowen for the Spurs, both came to the Spurs as 29 years old with little recognition and both the same type of player.

portnoy1
09-22-2009, 07:28 AM
If we can get camby without trading the big 4 or half of the roster then the lakers should give us the rings now.

outmap
09-22-2009, 07:56 AM
We can all say what we want, but the bottom line is that something is brewing in the Spurs FO. They kinda talked down the Defensive Specialist situation with "RJ will take on the Oppositions best wing". Out of nowhere they get Bogans a Defensive Specialist. They haven't said to much about The problem in Middle, as in were obviously to short to Deal with the Lakers/Cavs. I smell a trade coming for a shotblocking 7-0 footer. Just keep in mind that they were trying to work a deal for RJ and happened 6months later. Which means they were trying to do it in the middle of the 2008-09 season. Also remember at the deadline they were trying to get Marcus Camby, Who knows what they might pull before the start of the season when it comes to the Center/Tall PF situation.

I agree, but I don't think it would be for Camby, he would cost a lot of players for us to make the trade work most would be Mason/Fin/Bonner/Mahinmi. It's likely that they are targeting Mid Level Centers like Diop, Pryzbilla, Marc Gasol (Griz have Thabeet now), Brook Lopez (ha! that would be insanely awesome! [wishful thinking]), or J. Noah (pls no!)

mountainballer
09-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Bulls don't have a TE big enough to take Finley.
http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/tradeexceptions.jsp

And Bulls are also just below the luxury tax ($1M). Even if they had a TE big enough for Finley, they wouldn't do it because it would put them above the tax.

ok, thought the TE from the Sefolosha trade is big enough, but seems as if there isn't a 125%+100K rule.

coyotes_geek
09-22-2009, 08:00 AM
ok, thought the TE from the Sefolosha trade is big enough, but seems as if there isn't a 125%+100K rule.

When calculating the value of TE's that's correct. It's 100%+$100k.

Another thought on TE's and possible Finley moves. I'd think that even amongst the teams who have TE's big enough to take on Finley that you'd have to further narrow that list down to just teams that have TE's that will expire before the season ends. If you've got a $2.5+ mil TE (big enough for Finley) that doesn't expire until sometime during the 2010 offseason you've got a pretty good chance at being able to turn that TE into a decent player, courtesy of some team looking to clear cap room to get in on the 2010 free agent signings. That would be a much better return than just using your TE to take on Finley plus some cash.

c@t
09-22-2009, 08:25 AM
I don't think they would be trading Fin, unfortunately it would probably be Mason and a Big (either Mahinmi or Bonner) for a Center (my guess is Diop). Sad, I already like the rotation and i don't see a reason to add Bogans unless another trade is in the works, he's good but Hairston and Williams will be better.
The bobcats would accept it in a heartbeat once offered Findog/Mahinmi or Bonner/Mason for Rectum Diop. Diop only plays well when facing Spurs, precisely only when facing Tim Duncan can he seems a little bit worth his 6m yearly salary. And dude's instentine-long contract would be a nightmare to the Spurs skimp frontoffice, if he somehow joined the Spurs in exchange for those decent players.

Findog is probably the oldest dog alive in the world currently, but he can still be a decent role in rotation and plays some sparkling minutes once in a while. Bonner has a pair of excellent hands for someone with his size, it's easy to forecast that his on-court influences will be doubled if his defense work gets improved a little bit. Mahinmi is a damn good rebounder and plays as good defensively as Diop does, while only earning shit salary. Roger "big shot" Mason is obviously even better than Mahinmi and dog combined.

ceperez
09-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Not certain yet if he signed a guaranteed contract.

Not sure yet also if he'll make the team.

He's definitely of the same mold as Malik Hairston, so it's either one or the other.

We'll see who comes out the winner after the pre-season.

My prediction: Hairston wins out, but gets sent to D-league!

outmap
09-22-2009, 08:53 AM
According to reports it is not immediately clear whether Bogans’ contract is fully guaranteed or if it is a make-good deal for camp. Malik, Marcus, and Bogans will fight for the last 2 remaining spots at the wing.

Big P
09-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Not certain yet if he signed a guaranteed contract.

Not sure yet also if he'll make the team.

He's definitely of the same mold as Malik Hairston, so it's either one or the other.

We'll see who comes out the winner after the pre-season.

My prediction: Hairston wins out, but gets sent to D-league!

Said he will sign a guaranteed contract. Williams or Hairiston are gone, or a 2 for 1 is gonna go down.

mountainballer
09-22-2009, 09:05 AM
When calculating the value of TE's that's correct. It's 100%+$100k.

Another thought on TE's and possible Finley moves. I'd think that even amongst the teams who have TE's big enough to take on Finley that you'd have to further narrow that list down to just teams that have TE's that will expire before the season ends. If you've got a $2.5+ mil TE (big enough for Finley) that doesn't expire until sometime during the 2010 offseason you've got a pretty good chance at being able to turn that TE into a decent player, courtesy of some team looking to clear cap room to get in on the 2010 free agent signings. That would be a much better return than just using your TE to take on Finley plus some cash.

yeah, that makes a lot of sense. TE's that are valid after post season 2010 might be worth pure gold, when the free agency race 2010 starts.
maybe the whole TE trade idea wasn't that good at all. let's keep it simple and look who might take Fin+?(Matt, Ian, MW, RM)
one thing for sure: Spurs have at least one odd man out at the wings, same in the frontcourt. as much as I like the Bogans signing, I really would hate it when it causes the cut of either Malik or MW.

admiralsnackbar
09-22-2009, 09:10 AM
According to reports it is not immediately clear whether Bogans’ contract is fully guaranteed or if it is a make-good deal for camp. Malik, Marcus, and Bogans will fight for the last 2 remaining spots at the wing.
Anything is possible, but 1.03M (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_obtain_journeyman_guard_Bogans.html) for one season seems like too specific a number to not be clear.

K-State Spur
09-22-2009, 09:14 AM

Actually, there are things wrong with Camby.

He's not a very disciplined defender. He's not great defending on the ball. His mid-range shot isn't very good, but he shoots volume there anyways. And he's got a hell of an injury history.

Now, he'd definitely be a nice fit next to Duncan. But some need to tone down their erection for him. Compared to Dyess, he's an upgrade as a starter, but not a huge one.

My Fault
09-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Actually, there are things wrong with Camby.

He's not a very disciplined defender. He's not great defending on the ball. His mid-range shot isn't very good, but he shoots volume there anyways. And he's got a hell of an injury history.

Now, he'd definitely be a nice fit next to Duncan. But some need to tone down their erection for him. Compared to Dyess, he's an upgrade as a starter, but not a huge one.
Most importantly why would the Clippers want to trade his expiring contract for more?? Makes no sense...

Mel_13
09-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Anything is possible, but 1.03M (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_obtain_journeyman_guard_Bogans.html) for one season seems like too specific a number to not be clear.

That's the number for a 6 yr vet minimum contract. It may be guaranteed in all, in part, or not at all.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q11

lefty
09-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Most importantly why would the Clippers want to trade his expiring contract for more?? Makes no sense...
Because they are the Clippers

urunobili
09-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Bonner + Fin and maybe somebody else for Noce :stirpot:

BlackBellamy
09-22-2009, 11:04 AM
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af206/Black_Bellamy/blueman.jpg
"No, I'm afraid that I just blue myself".

BlackBellamy
09-22-2009, 11:09 AM
So, no time at the 2 for George Hill. hmmm.

admiralsnackbar
09-22-2009, 11:41 AM
That's the number for a 6 yr vet minimum contract. It may be guaranteed in all, in part, or not at all.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q11

Gotcha -- thanks for setting me straight.

completely deck
09-22-2009, 11:43 AM

So, no time at the 2 for George Hill. hmmm.

stop posting

BlackBellamy
09-22-2009, 11:46 AM
stop posting

Not a fan of Arrested Development or of George Hill getting time at his natural position?
Explain yourself...

Blackjack
09-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Malik wouldn't have been better than the 5th wing in the rotation before the signing of Bogans.
if Fin was gone, it would be Malik fighting with Bogans for the 4th spot in the rotation.
if Malik, who has exactly the same size (so they are both a bit undersized), but is a far better athlete can't beat Bogans over a whole season, it will tell the Spurs a lot about his upside. so Bogans is also kind of an insurance for a Malik development fail.
if he can beat Bogans (I'm pretty sure), he is good enough to at least become a regular rotation wing for the Spurs future.
the key for Malik will be his 3pt shooting. no doubt he did improve, if he can constantly hit 3s at a 35%+ rate, he will take the 4th wing spot during the season.

My point was, they're essentially playing for the same defensive-backup role to Jefferson and that Bogans' game and experience is much more conducive to the Spurs' system and line of thinking.

If the Spurs do make a salary-dump that frees up another roster spot, Malik's chances will improve. But I really get the feeling that Williams is in the Spurs' plans for the upcoming year; at least in terms of making the roster.

So if that's the case, it's hard to imagine the Spurs would have a spot on the roster for Malik; Bogans, the vet who possesses the more similar skill set for a proven role in the Spurs' system, would seem to take his place.

Bogans just doesn't have the feel, at least to me, as being one of those make-good players in terms of his contract. He's a guy that several of us figured was on the Spurs' radar because of past comments by Pop and just because of the type of player he is, overall. He's the type of known quantity that the Spurs like to have on the roster to fill a role and do what's expected of him night-in and night-out. Someone that won't get you beat and is the type of professional, in and out of the locker room, that's always ready to play when given the opportunity. Also, a guy that won't make any waves if he's seeing minimal playing time.

The new Ime, if you will.

I hope Malik can shoot the lights out with those floor-spacing 3-balls made available in the Spurs' offense and that he'll give the Spurs no choice but to secure him a place on the roster, or at a minimum, find a way to keep him in the program, but the Spurs haven't seemed as high on him as I, and others in the C.O.H., have been.

I just don't think a guy like Bogans gets added if they believed Malik was ready to be depended upon, at least to fill the Ime role, for the upcoming year.

For the record, I've never been real high on Bogans' ability and size defensively -- I'd much prefer Hairston -- but he's a pretty nice fit and player to add for the money. Basically a straight-up trade for Ime, who he should be an upgrade over.

Shastafarian
09-22-2009, 12:26 PM

There's gotta be a better way to say that.

Mel_13
09-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Bogans gets a guarantee
By Jeff McDonald on Sep 22, 09 11:22 AM

Just a quick update on the contract that journeyman guard Keith Bogans is set to sign with the Spurs.

According to Mike Harrison, Bogans' agent, the one-year deal is indeed fully guaranteed at the veteran minimum of $1.03 million.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/09/bogans-gets-a-g.html

BlackBellamy
09-22-2009, 12:33 PM
There's gotta be a better way to say that.
"What were his last words?"... "He said some... wonderful things". Thank you Shasta, I'll be your wing-man any day.

benefactor
09-22-2009, 12:37 PM
It was pretty much a forgone conclusion that his contract was guaranteed. It's not like he is a D-League player that is trying to prove himself.

BlackBellamy
09-22-2009, 12:42 PM
It was pretty much a forgone conclusion that his contract was guaranteed. It's not like he is a D-League player that is trying to prove himself.

No, but he was a bench player on the Bucks. I think one knows what they're getting from him. Still, being a lower man on the totem pole at Milwaukee and coming to legit condender in the West might have cast some doubts on a guaranteed contract. Coulda' been like the Salim Stoudamire deal.

HarlemHeat37
09-22-2009, 12:55 PM
training camp is going to be interesting..

I personally believe that Hairston will be a better player than Bogans this season and beyond, but as I said before, Malik is inexperienced and won't get many calls from the refs..Bogans is an experienced vet and will get some respect, so it's obvious who Pop would choose IMO..

They're pretty much the same size, they have the same shooting ability right now..the difference in ability is that Hairston's athleticism is levels better, so there's no reason he shouldn't outplay him..

I've been one of Hairston's biggest fans here, so I hope he can find a spot on the roster, but it doesn't seem likely right now, since it would probably depend on a Finley and/or Bonner trade now..

Hairston's gonna have to have a big training camp..

TimDunkem
09-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Not a fan of Arrested Development or of George Hill getting time at his natural position?
Explain yourself...
I knew what you were talking about...haha Arrested Development was a great show.

benefactor
09-22-2009, 01:03 PM
No, but he was a bench player on the Bucks. I think one knows what they're getting from him. Still, being a lower man on the totem pole at Milwaukee and coming to legit condender in the West might have cast some doubts on a guaranteed contract. Coulda' been like the Salim Stoudamire deal.
You are getting an experienced NBA player. He has played rotation minutes on NBA teams for 7 years...including rotation minutes in the playoffs. Season before last he started 35 games for Orlando. Salim Stoudamire? He didn't even play last year.

There was never a question about it. He could have just as easily gotten guaranteed money somewhere else.

HarlemHeat37
09-22-2009, 01:06 PM
So is the league picking up the tab on part of the contract?..That would make this a lot more interesting..

coyotes_geek
09-22-2009, 01:09 PM
So is the league picking up the tab on part of the contract?..That would make this a lot more interesting..

Yes. The Spurs are only on the hook for $825k. The league picks up the rest.

bigdog
09-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Maybe this means George will be playing most of his minutes at the 1?

HarlemHeat37
09-22-2009, 02:11 PM
If we're only on the hook for that much, then it isn't as big of a deal as it looks..he'll still have to outplay everybody else..

Training camp is going to be very interesting, and it'll probably decide the fate of Finley, Bonner, Bogans, Hairston, Williams, and Ian..

duncan228
09-22-2009, 02:15 PM
… The Spurs kinda-sorta found a replacement for Bruce Bowen, reaching an agreement with Keith Bogans on a one-year deal. Bogans is a strong defender who was often given the assignment of guarding guys like Kobe, D-Wade and Brandon Roy when he was with Orlando. At 6-5, he’s not ideal to guard a powerhouse like LeBron or ‘Melo, but he makes San Antonio’s defense a little tougher and can score better than Bowen …

http://dimemag.com/2009/09/more-details-on-the-delonte-west-case-spurs-get-their-new-bowen/

Libri
09-22-2009, 02:20 PM
If we're only on the hook for that much, then it isn't as big of a deal as it looks..he'll still have to outplay everybody else..

Training camp is going to be very interesting, and it'll probably decide the fate of Finley, Bonner, Bogans, Hairston, Williams, and Ian..

I hope it does decide the fate of Finley and Bonner.

Spurs Brazil
09-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Bogans gets a guarantee
By Jeff McDonald on Sep 22, 09 11:22 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) Save & Share Yahoo! BuzzYahoo! Newsvine del.icio.us Facebook Google Reddit Fark
Just a quick update on the contract that journeyman guard Keith Bogans is set to sign with the Spurs.

According to Mike Harrison, Bogans' agent, the one-year deal is indeed fully guaranteed at the veteran minimum of $1.03 million.

Harrison says Bogans was talking with other teams throughout the process, including the Denver Nuggets, but held out in order to land with a championship contender.

"This is absolutely the No. 1 place he wanted to end up," Harrison said Tuesday morning. "Early in free agency, he had a chance to sign with some other teams. What he really wanted was to get with a really good, playoff-type team. We rolled the dice and waited, and it worked out."

Bogans is expected to sign the contract later this week. After doing so, he will become the 14th player to enter next week's training camp with a guaranteed contract.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/09/bogans-gets-a-g.html

mazerrackham
09-22-2009, 02:36 PM
"What were his last words?"... "He said some... wonderful things". Thank you Shasta, I'll be your wing-man any day.

Some people weren't optimistic that Keith Bogans could be brought over this offseason, but the Spurs FO didn't take "wasn't optimistic it could be done" for an answer!

SenorSpur
09-22-2009, 02:44 PM
I like the signing too. Fairly low-risk addition and gives Pop a defensive stalwart needed for certain situations. Even though, he's nowhere near the defensive skill of a Bowen and he's a bit undersized, should be a good weapon for the arsenal. I wonder if Bogans has the sort of skill and tenacity to occasionally guard the "skinny" SF-types, as did Udoka?

As others have stated, I also hope this pushes Finley further down the rotation - to sort of a "hired-gun" role, with very limited minutes and several DNP-CDs mixed in, based upon opponent. If, by midseason, Finley becomes trade fodder. that's even better.

I concur with what HarlemHeat proclaimed earlier. I'm a big fan of Hairston's too. Dude plays a man's game. I trust that he'll perform to a level that will finally earn him a spot on the roster. Williams versatility could make him a comer. Jury is out on both for now. Now that we know Bogan's contract is fully guaranteed, the youngsters will have to fight it out. Should be a good battle for those final couple of spots.

crc21209
09-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Our SF rotation looks pretty good right about now...we got RJ starting, and off the bench we can go with a shooter/scorer in Fin or we can go with a defensive minded guy like Bogans, and if Hairston is active, we can go with him as well. :tu

TIMMYD!
09-22-2009, 04:03 PM

What say,you?

Good Move, Good Thinking :toast

TIMMYD!
09-22-2009, 04:05 PM
That's interesting, considering he can't play it. And thanks for the insider information, douche bag, I didn't know you were inside of the Spurs organization to know how they plan to utilize him. D-League players for the minimum would be better. Bogans has no potential left whatsoever, and what he is, is a scrub.

A Scrub that made it into the NBA.

TIMMYD!
09-22-2009, 04:05 PM
A Scrub that made it into the NBA.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Time to jettison Finley and Bonner, and this will be about as good an off-season as you can get without landing a ping pong ball that gets you a Duncan or DRob type...

Agloco
09-22-2009, 06:15 PM

What say,you?

You have no idea how many pairs of pants I would go through in the first hour after this trade.........

Cant_Be_Faded
09-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Gay.

I'd rather the spurs sign someone 6'7ish if we were looking for a player to ride the bench.