PDA

View Full Version : Kenyon Martin: "Everybody Feels Like We Were A Better Team Than The Lakers"

duncan228
09-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Kenyon Martin: “Everybody Feels Like We Were a Better Team Than the Lakers” (http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2009/09/21/kenyon-martin-%E2%80%9Ceverybody-feels-like-we-were-a-better-team-than-the-lakers%E2%80%9D/#more-12391)
by Jimmy Shapiro
This post is courtesy of Chris Fedor of WKNR in Cleveland.

Kenyon Martin was once the first overall pick in the NBA Draft, but he has never lived up to those expectations. While he has never been a superstar in the league, he has been a solid player in the NBA when he’s been able to stay healthy. However, the last two seasons he’s been able to stay on the court and contribute to a couple of Nuggets playoff runs.

Last season the Denver emerged as one of the best teams in the Western Conference and even one of the best teams in the NBA. After acquiring Chauncey Billups to be the leader of the offense, the Nuggets went on to win 54 games in the regular season and advanced to the Western Conference Finals. They had a number of opportunities to win the series, but a couple of mistakes at the end of some games cost them dearly against the Lakers. The Nuggets ended up losing to the eventual NBA Champions in six games, but many people around the NBA, including the Nuggets feel like they had what it took to beat LA. Because of their showing in the playoffs last year, there a really high hopes in the Mile High City for the Nuggets as they return much of their core from a season ago.

Kenyon Martin joined The Sports Guys on 104.3 The Fan in Denver to talk about how he is feeling heading into the season, the loss against the Lakers in the Western Conference Finals and the incident with Mark Cuban.

On whether or not he’s anxious to get the season started:

“I’ve been antsy. I’ve been in the gym for the last month and a half or so. I let my body heal and got right back in the gym to start working on things I felt I needed to work on for me to be better, but I’m ready to play.”

On how long it’s been since he’s been healthy:

“My legs feel great. I’m tellin’ everybody this summer that I got my hops back. Just coming back from the surgeries and doing everything to build up my leg strength and my core strength and things like that I think helped in order for me to get to this point where I am now. I haven’t felt this great in some years. At least five years since I’ve been here. (Host: Almost back to New Jersey?) Yeah, like maybe my fourth or fifth year in the league, I’ve always been dealing with something. Whether it was a severe case of tendinitis or microfracture surgeries, two of them, just time and time again it was always something. Now I don’t have anything to worry about, I can just let the little bruises and stuff heal and just get on the court and concentrate on basketball.”

On what they learned from the playoff run:

“That you have to play on a consistent basis throughout the regular season and just better your position. Just learn from the things we did right last year and learn from things we did wrong, but we had a great run. I think guys know that we were right there and everybody in that locker room and in the organization feels we were a better team than the Lakers. Everybody feels we were a better team than the Lakers and no one can tell me anything different. No one.”

On the Mark Cuban incident:

“I have no words for Mark Cuban. He apologized to my mom and that’s all he had to do. I’m a grown man. I’m not gonna lose any sleep if you don’t apologize to me or if I never seen you again in life. He apologized to my mom and that’s all he had to do. Just move on from it. He has a team to run down there and I have a job to kick their butt every time we play them.”

Listen to Kenyon Martin on 104.3 the Fan in Denver with The Sports Guys (http://www.fm1043thefan.com/Channels/audioOnDemand/story.aspx?ID=1141203)

Dex
09-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Should've won the 7-game series then, big mouth.

Ghazi
09-21-2009, 05:25 PM
They had their chances in that series and simply didn't capitalize, then proceeded to lose by 25+ on their home court. This was with Bynum playing like ass too, and now the Lakers have upgraded the small forward position.

I think the gap between Denver/LA was small last year but has widened.

redzero
09-21-2009, 05:27 PM
So, the better team did nothing to get better, while the worse one has, but they're still better?

Culburn369
09-21-2009, 05:39 PM
They used basically the same tact that the CWEBB Kings used: stand around and act uber melodramatic/incredulous every time a call is made....skin|||grin|||laugh away from the call and to the crowd. In other words, watch the game instead of focusing & participating in it. It's partly strategy borne of desperation and the remainder their innate fear of giving their genuine all and then coming up short anyway. A fear of failure.

PGDynasty24
09-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Ya the better team lost by 27 points on their home floor in a close out game. Ya Kenyon u guys were the better team

TheMACHINE
09-21-2009, 06:17 PM
So, the better team did nothing to get better, while the worse one has, but they're still better?

lol im trying to figure out which one is the better and worse team in your sentence.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-21-2009, 06:17 PM
lol im trying to figure out which one is the better and worse team in your sentence.

He's sarcastically calling Denver the better team....I think.

PGDynasty24
09-21-2009, 06:21 PM
He's sarcastically calling Denver the better team....I think.

Ya that confused me 2. lol

djohn2oo8
09-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Denver isn't even better than the Rockets in their current state because they don't play together, they let their emotions get the best of them, and they have no BB IQ, except for chauncey, who showed his age in the playoffs. Plus they lost Dahntay Jones

Culburn369
09-21-2009, 07:20 PM
they let their emotions get the best of them, and they have no BB IQ, except for chauncey, who showed his age in the playoffs.

Even Chauncey showed his ass in that playoff series with the Lakers. Instead of leading them---he followed them to their collective doom.

And dj is correct, the Rockets laid it all out there, left nothing in the tank. They drove it to a 7th game,,,secure in the principle that [anything can happen at any time in life].

Culburn369
09-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Kobe likes Denver pussy.

He ain't too adverse to a Denver balloon-knot either.

benefactor
09-21-2009, 07:37 PM
If you had to make a stupid scale for basketball players, Kenyon Martin would be the lowest possible score.

iggypop123
09-21-2009, 07:47 PM
they lost keliza and jones and didnt add anything. donwgrade. a backup for billups inst something to be excited about

Chillen
09-21-2009, 07:48 PM
I see the Nuggets as a team that had a chance to get to the NBA finals but blew it. The Lakers have improved and to make matters worse, the Spurs have improved and if healthy are a huge threat. The Dallas Mavericks have also improved, I don't see Denver getting back to the West finals at all in the 2010 playoffs. just my opinion.

KSeal
09-21-2009, 08:12 PM
They lost by 27 points at home in game six and Martin is still running his mouth about how they're the better team? Just goes to show how big of an idiot Martin is.

Allanon
09-21-2009, 08:20 PM
That's the big difference between the Lakers and the Nuggets.

The Lakers lost by 40 to the Celtics, you didn't hear an arrogant peep out of the Lakers. From Kobe on down it was just "They embarrassed us, we gotta get better and tougher".

Nuggets lose by 27 points to the Lakers and the Nuggets think they're the better team.

The Franchise
09-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Should've won the 7-game series then, big mouth.

tlongII
09-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Just how the hell are the Lakers better? They add that fruitloop Artest, lose Ariza, and Kobe, Fisher, and Lamar are a year older. That makes them better??? GMAFB.

cobbler
09-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Just how the hell are the Lakers better? They add that fruitloop Artest, lose Ariza, and Kobe, Fisher, and Lamar are a year older. That makes them better??? GMAFB.

Really tlong.... do you have to ask again? A simple search would bring up the hundred or so threads in which this was already discussed.

BTW... what is the date scheduled for the training camp parade?

Chieflion
09-22-2009, 02:12 AM
Really tlong.... do you have to ask again? A simple search would bring up the hundred or so threads in which this was already discussed.

BTW... what is the date scheduled for the training camp parade?
They must be celebrating Oden being healthy for camp.

Culburn369
09-22-2009, 02:17 AM
They must be celebrating Oden being healthy for camp.

...& Dr. Jack still drawing breath.

2Cleva
09-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Yo Kenyon, I'm happy fo you..., and Imma let you finish; but Chris Webber is the best crybaby after a Laker playoff loss of all times!

ambchang
09-22-2009, 08:35 AM
The Denver Nuggets got beat by the Lakers even without the mandatory Lakers-outshot-opposition-at-the-line-by-20+-times-in-controversial-elimination-game-4th-quarter trick. They are most definitely not better than the Lakers.

Culburn369
09-22-2009, 08:44 AM
The Denver Nuggets got beat by the Lakers even without the mandatory Lakers-outshot-opposition-at-the-line-by-20+-times-in-controversial-elimination-game-4th-quarter trick.

Please. You've enjoyed that exact same grace yerself, amb.

tlongII
09-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Of course the Nuggets aren't better than the Lakers. The Blazers on the other hand...

Culburn369
09-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Of course the Nuggets aren't better than the Lakers. The Blazers on the other hand...

...go ahead and say it, t:::the Blazers won that ring in 1977. There, you've satisfied the Blazer Credo: say 1977 NBA Championship once a day, come Hell or high water.

Christ!

jazzypimp
09-22-2009, 10:09 AM
I just want to see KMart bitch slap that rapist Kobe :hat

lefty
09-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Nuggets have talent, but as long as they are being coached by George Karl, they are going nowhere.

Nothing against Karl, he is a good coach, but not the right one for that team.

He is unable to coach young hot heads (we've witnessed it in Seattle with young Payton, Kemp, Gill and Vincent Askew)

Culburn369
09-22-2009, 10:11 AM
I just want to see KMart bitch slap that rapist Kobe :hat

He had his chance, Jazzy, but, he was too busy skinnin' & grinnin' with Billups. By the time he was ready, Kobe was takin' that lone charter back to Los Angeles from Florida.

Just shows ta go ya.

Morg1411
09-22-2009, 01:34 PM
2008-2009 was the perfect storm for Denver. I honestly don't think they'll make it to WCF this season...which is too bad, because as a Denver native it was nice watching the Nuggets NOT suck ass for change...

BlackBellamy
09-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Show me some proof K-Mad (and truthfully I hope they are better than the Lakers this season), opinions are like ass-holes...

bostonguy
09-22-2009, 05:42 PM
I dont see how they are or were better. They competed with them but their D couldn't limit the Lakers constantly. They got blown out by 27 points in game 6 which proved they truly didn't have what it took to beat LA 4 times.

They got worse this offseason. They lost Jones (Though I don't think he is all that great anyways) and Klieza, Their bench got weaker, Billups is a year older, Melo is an all-star trying to be a superstar, and Karl is still the coach. They run off emotion. When things get difficult, they implode. They aren't mentally tough enough. Denver will be either the 3rd or 4th seed this year and lose in the 2nd round.

timtonymanu
09-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Denver will be the 08-09 Hornets next year. I say they are behind Lakers, Spurs, Blazers, and Mavs.

The Franchise
09-22-2009, 06:30 PM
The title should have been: Kenyon Martin Says More Stupid Shit. :lol

iggypop123
09-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Denver will be the 08-09 Hornets next year. I say they are behind Lakers, Spurs, Blazers, and Mavs.