PDA

View Full Version : Speculation: McClinton heading overseas

lurker23
09-23-2009, 03:39 AM
I'd like to preface this thread by saying that this is pure speculation on my part. I have sources, but this does not come from any of those sources. However, based on several things going on, I have a strong gut feeling that we'll hear in the next week that Jack McClinton will play this upcoming basketball season somewhere other than the NBA. Here are a few of my reasons:

1. The obvious one that everyone knows: by signing Keith Bogans, the Spurs now have 14 players with guaranteed contracts. Barring a trade or the Spurs eating some money and cutting one of these 14 guys (e.g.- Mahinmi), a roster spot on this year's team will be very hard to come by.

2. Also with the Bogans signing, the Spurs have added another SG. This makes the 2/3 situation in San Antonio very crowded, particularly when you add the competition of Hairston and Williams, as well as the distinct possibility that George Hill will get some minutes at the 2.

3. While Jack McClinton is a very talented shooter, many have said that he'll need to improve his all-around game if he's going to make it in the NBA as an undersized player. With specific goals to target and work on, he becomes a better candidate for a year overseas than most.

4. On Tuesday, on Jack McClinton's Twitter, he said, "big decisions to make right now,,, reall big decisions,,,,,". In his next post, he told Iman Shumpert (basketball player at Georgia Tech) that he's "wit the spurs for now." I could be reading way too much into that "for now" part, and perhaps Jack's big decision is what kind of car to buy from the money that the Spurs will throw at him for training camp. But I really think this indicates that Jack knows his options: sign on for training camp, where either the writing on the wall or the Spurs themselves tell him that he has a fairly slim chance of making the team, or go overseas for a year for some guaranteed money, and give the Spurs another shot when there's potentially less of a logjam on the roster.

Anyway, I know some of you really couldn't care less about my speculation and gut feelings, but I figured I'd throw my thoughts out there for discussion.

VivaPopovich
09-23-2009, 04:07 AM
Yeah I agree, Jack's overall game needs a lot of work. I agree with the likely outcome of him playing overseas but I don't think that'd be the right decision for Jack. The best way to develop your game would be to play for the Spurs d-league team.

As far as money is concerned, every nba player should have their own business ventures going on independently of their careers so money isn't always the biggest factor to every nba decision. Will miss him especially since he actually replies to his twitter messages.

coyotes_geek
09-23-2009, 07:59 AM
As far as money is concerned, every nba player should have their own business ventures going on independently of their careers so money isn't always the biggest factor to every nba decision.

McClinton hasn't made any money yet. There's only one business venture he needs to be involved in right now. That's figuring out how to make a living by getting paid to play basketball.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-23-2009, 11:30 AM
I speculated that McClinton would be playing somewhere other than SA as soon as we saw him in the summer league.

rjv
09-23-2009, 11:47 AM
I speculated that McClinton would be playing somewhere other than SA as soon as we saw him in the summer league.

his summer league stint did not help at all, that's for sure.

i do see gist heading back to europe as well.

Libri
09-23-2009, 12:15 PM
It could be that his "big decision" is to play in Europe or maybe he was told of another option; the Spurs could let him go so that he could take a chance elsewhere, with another team. Leaving the Spurs to workout for another NBA team would certainly be a big decision.

I'm not sure how that would work. Would the Spurs have to renounce their rights to McClinton?

coyotes_geek
09-23-2009, 12:50 PM
It could be that his "big decision" is to play in Europe or maybe he was told of another option; the Spurs could let him go so that he could take a chance elsewhere, with another team. Leaving the Spurs to workout for another NBA team would certainly be a big decision.

I'm not sure how that would work. Would the Spurs have to renounce their rights to McClinton?

Not if he goes to europe before signing a contract with the Spurs. Once he signs the contract though the Spurs either have to keep him or cut him. If they cut him, they've lost all rights to him.

Spurs Brazil
09-23-2009, 02:24 PM
I think McClinton and Gist will be playing in Austin

Libri
09-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Not if he goes to europe before signing a contract with the Spurs. Once he signs the contract though the Spurs either have to keep him or cut him. If they cut him, they've lost all rights to him.

I see.

Personally, I would like to see him play for the Toros and observe how he performs in a more organized system.

CyberBob
09-23-2009, 04:34 PM
He's gone. It's official now. He's been waived.

ChumpDumper
09-23-2009, 04:39 PM
My guess is he asked to be released.

coyotes_geek
09-23-2009, 04:40 PM
When did McClinton sign? Can't get waived unless you signed.

What probably happened is the Spurs pulled the required tender offer which forfeits their rights and makes him a FA. Technically not a waiving, but ends up with the same result.

I'd guess the Spurs and McClinton had a disagreement about him playing in europe next year. This doesn't close the book on him and the Spurs though. If no one picks him up he'll end up a Toro by default.

bigdog
09-23-2009, 05:07 PM
He signed before Summer League, I believe.

manu_maniac
09-23-2009, 05:12 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_waive_mcclinton_090923.html?rss=true

rayray2k8
09-23-2009, 05:34 PM
oh wow. he has been waived..

pkbpkb81
09-23-2009, 06:02 PM
He was signed on 9/14.

why sgin him just to waive him like 9 days later

completely deck
09-23-2009, 06:06 PM
He was signed on 9/14.

Spurs were required to give him something, so they gave him a tender offer

coyotes_geek
09-23-2009, 06:11 PM
He was signed on 9/14.

In order to keep his draft rights the Spurs were required to offer him a contract by September 6th. McClinton took it, even though it's likely that the Spurs didn't want him to.

lurker23
09-23-2009, 07:15 PM
When did McClinton sign? Can't get waived unless you signed.

What probably happened is the Spurs pulled the required tender offer which forfeits their rights and makes him a FA. Technically not a waiving, but ends up with the same result.

I'd guess the Spurs and McClinton had a disagreement about him playing in europe next year. This doesn't close the book on him and the Spurs though. If no one picks him up he'll end up a Toro by default.

I'd honestly be surprised if McClinton ended up as a Toro. If our speculation is correct, he wanted to play in the NBA and not in Europe. If that is the case, he'll likely sign a training camp deal with some other NBA team where he feels he has a shot at making the 15-man roster.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once he does that, he basically loses all affiliation with the Spurs organization, correct? Or does he still somehow retain a Toros tie-in as a Spurs second-round pick?

(Not that it matters all that much. Whether as a Toro or with another D-League team, the Spurs have no more rights to him than any other NBA team.)

completely deck
09-23-2009, 07:17 PM
I'd honestly be surprised if McClinton ended up as a Toro. If our speculation is correct, he wanted to play in the NBA and not in Europe. If that is the case, he'll likely sign a training camp deal with some other NBA team where he feels he has a shot at making the 15-man roster.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once he does that, he basically loses all affiliation with the Spurs organization, correct? Or does he still somehow retain a Toros tie-in as a Spurs second-round pick?

(Not that it matters all that much. Whether as a Toro or with another D-League team, the Spurs have no more rights to him than any other NBA team.)

From what I gather, if he ends up in the D-League he has to be with the Toros unless they don't want him.

lurker23
09-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Anyway, to sum up this thread, I was right on some accounts and wrong on others. All the reasons for thinking he was heading overseas also pointed to the idea that there was no room for him on the Spurs this season. However, if you had told me of today's events, I wouldn't have believed you.

I thought the worst case for the Spurs/McClinton relationship was that he would choose to come to camp, he would fail to beat out others for a roster spot, then he would be cut and the Spurs would lose his rights. However, to lose his rights without even seeing him play a preseason game is disappointing. I wish Jack well, and I hope that he and the Spurs can renew their relationship at some point in the future. It may just be yet another second round draft pick that didn't work out, but for it to fail so abruptly and unexpectedly is a bit of a disappointment for the Spurs.

coyotes_geek
09-23-2009, 09:45 PM
It may just be yet another second round draft pick that didn't work out, but for it to fail so abruptly and unexpectedly is a bit of a disappointment for the Spurs.

Agree with you there. I'm sure the Spurs aren't happy about how it all went down. Not that they really had much of a say in the matter. McClinton clearly wants to play in the NBA immediately, the CBA rules gave him an out, and he took it. No one should fault him for that. It's his right. But at the same time this incident does give me some extra appreciation for the decision James Gist made last year.

kbrury
09-23-2009, 09:48 PM
If only the spurs got Mills even though he is injury prone, they could have stashed him in Australia for a few years.

Though its easier said then done and at the time I thought Jack would be the better player and he could still prove his worth but its sad it won't be with the spurs.

lurker23
09-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Agree with you there. I'm sure the Spurs aren't happy about how it all went down. Not that they really had much of a say in the matter. McClinton clearly wants to play in the NBA immediately, the CBA rules gave him an out, and he took it. No one should fault him for that. It's his right. But at the same time this incident does give me some extra appreciation for the decision James Gist made last year.

Agreed. No ill feelings toward McClinton, and props to Gist. Also, this is yet another example of what a class organization the Spurs are. Another organization may have asked the player to fulfill their contractual agreement, play with the team through the entire training camp, then cut them. Instead, the Spurs agreed to McClinton's request and gave him a better shot to fulfill his dreams.

exstatic
09-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Uh, it's not necessarily over with Jack as a Spur. Marcus Williams did almost the same thing, except they had him in camp and then cut him. At that point he really had no ties with the Spurs. He went and played in the d-league for a year, signing with the Clippers at the end. Then, back to the Toros in the fall. Here he is, two years later, knocking on the door. The Spurs have a HUGE advantage by owning their own d-league club.

EricB
09-23-2009, 11:14 PM
If I was a betting man, McClinton strikes out at NBA Camps and goes to the D League where he can develop in the system and not taking up a roster spot.

Perfect situation.

Mel_13
09-23-2009, 11:20 PM
If I was a betting man, McClinton strikes out at NBA Camps and goes to the D League where he can develop in the system and not taking up a roster spot.

Perfect situation.

And that's where the very decent treatment from the Spurs can pay benefits in the future. They let him go and take his best shot. If he winds up in Austin now, he won't feel like he missed out on a chance to make an NBA team this season.

Blackjack
09-23-2009, 11:20 PM
I'm sure Jack is being truthful in asking for his release, but I'm also pretty sure the Spurs made a point in telling him he wouldn't have much of a chance to showcase himself for other teams had he remained in their camp.

Since they'd already come to the conclusion they'd be losing his rights, seeing as Jack's intentions were to play in the NBA and not overseas, -- a point made clear by him wanting to be tendered the offer even with a slim shot of making the roster -- I'll bet they decided to do the right thing by Jack and give him a better opportunity of latching on with someone else by releasing him prior to camp.

It's those types of gestures and honesty that make the Spurs not only a first-class operation, but the reason guys like Williams, Hairston and Gist still remain in the fold even after being released. The Spurs do their best not to burn any bridges and do right by the players, and hopefully it pays off in good karma somewhere down the road.

It's because of that philosophy that I don't count out the possibilty of McClinton ending up back in the Spurs' program, at some point.

timvp
09-23-2009, 11:46 PM
On one hand, it's somewhat disappointing that the Spurs lost out on their investment so quickly. The last time I can remember the Spurs giving up on a draft pick so quickly was Henry Williams in the early 90s.

On the other hand, I see it as a little bit of good news. Honestly, McClinton was horrible in summer league. He couldn't get his shot off, he couldn't dribble, he couldn't defend ... he couldn't do anything at an above average summer league level. On top of playing bad, he didn't pass the eyeball test. He looked too small, too stocky, too unathletic and not confident enough. If the draft was held after summer league, no team would have touched him with a ten foot pole.

Regarding the Spurs, there was about a .5% chance that McClinton would suddenly play good enough to legitimately earn an NBA roster spot. The much larger chance is that the Spurs would have given him a roster spot due solely to their investment in him. And as we saw when the Spurs picked Derrick Dial over Raja Bell, holding onto an investment just for the sake of holding onto an investment is almost always a bad idea.

In the long run, I think the move will be a non-issue. McClinton needs a whole lot of work before he's a rotation player on a championship quality team. He'll need to bounce around, adjust his game and grow his confidence a la Eddie House. As it stands, I'm highly skeptical of him becoming an NBA player -- much less an championship quality piece.

c@t
09-24-2009, 03:24 AM
Spurs still hold his rights anyway. It's not a totally bad investment by far IMHO. On the contrary, it would be a great worthwhile investment if several years' oversea trainings finally forged him into a gold like Scola. While it'd be another story when he gets traded to Houston for another package of flying craps, for some financial reasons.

lurker23
09-24-2009, 03:36 AM
Spurs still hold his rights anyway. It's not a totally bad investment by far IMHO. On the contrary, it would be a great worthwhile investment if several years' oversea trainings finally forged him into a gold like Scola. While it'd be another story when he gets traded to Houston for another package of flying craps, for some financial reasons.

No, they don't. By waiving him, they relinquish all rights to him. He's likely to sign a training camp contract with another NBA team in the next week.

mountainballer
09-24-2009, 07:23 AM
It's because of that philosophy that I don't count out the possibilty of McClinton ending up back in the Spurs' program, at some point.

totally agree and who knows, maybe this has even been the advice from the Spurs: go out and take your chance to get a NBA roster spot, if you fail, come back and sign with the Toros. also considering that d-league teams can't outbid each other, it's very likely that he joins the Toros, if he goes to d-league. and Spurs know that.

Spurs Brazil
09-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Wolves sign six for camp
Posted on September 28th, 2009 – 11:42 AM
By Mark Wollemann
The Timberwolves filled out their training camp roster with these six players. Jerry will be on later today to talk about media day and prospects for Wolves training camp.

Here’s the Wolves’ press release:

Minneapolis/St. Paul – The Minnesota Timberwolves today signed unrestricted free agents Alonzo Gee, Devin Green, Jason Hart, Jack McClinton, Jared Reiner and Mustafa Shakur, finalizing the training camp roster at 18 players.

Gee, a 6-6 guard from Alabama, played for San Antonio in the Las Vegas Summer League, averaging 2.2 points and 11.5 minutes in five games. An All-SEC Second Team honoree following both his junior and senior seasons, Gee was not drafted by an NBA franchise this summer.

A 6-7 guard from Hampton, Green returns to the Wolves after competing in the Las Vegas Summer League with the team, where he averaged 5.7 points and 3.0 rebounds in three games. After appearing in 27 games for the Los Angeles Lakers during the 2005-06 season, Green played for the NBA D-League’s Los Angeles D-Fenders for two seasons, averaging 19.5 points, 4.8 rebounds and 4.2 assists in 13 games in 2006-07 and 16.4 points, 6.4 rebounds and 4.2 assists in 24 games in 2007-08. He played in Belgium last season.

Hart, a 6-3 guard from Syracuse, has played eight seasons in the NBA, averaging 4.8 points and 23 assists in 336 games. He split last season with the Los Angeles Clippers and Denver Nuggets, averaging 2.0 points, 1.2 assists and 8.9 minutes in 39 games. Hart saw action in nine playoff games for Denver, averaging 0.2 points, 0.6 assists and 2.1 minutes. Over his NBA career, Hart has also played with Utah, Sacramento, Charlotte, San Antonio and Milwaukee. He averaged 11.4 points, 3.3 rebounds, 5.4 assists and 2.5 steals in 132 games at Syracuse (1996-2000), earning All-Big East First Team honors as a senior.

McClinton, a 6-1 guard from Miami, was a second round selection (51st overall) by the San Antonio Spurs in the 2009 NBA Draft. He played for San Antonio in the Las Vegas Summer League, averaging 2.6 points, 1.8 rebounds and 1.6 assists in five games. In three years at Miami, McClinton averaged 17.9 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.5 assists in 95 games. He ranks first in the ACC with a career three-point shooting percentage of .440. McClinton was an All-ACC First Team selection as a junior and senior.

Reiner, a 6-11 center from Iowa, brings two seasons of NBA experience to the Wolves training camp roster. Despite going undrafted, Reiner appeared in 19 games for the Chicago Bulls in 2004-05, averaging 1.1 points and 2.0 rebounds per game. After a season with Sioux Falls in the D-League in which he was voted to the All-Star Game, Reiner was called up to the Milwaukee Bucks and appeared in 27 games, averaging 1.2 points and 1.9 rebounds per game. Reiner has played professionally in Europe during each of the last two seasons.

Shakur, a 6-3 guard from Arizona, has competed in Poland, Greece and Spain since leaving Arizona in 2007. Shakur was All Pac-10 Honorable Mention as a senior and ranked third in the nation in assists.

The Timberwolves’ 21st NBA season tips off today with the team’s annual Media Day from 12-2 p.m. at the Timberwolves Practice Facility in Life Time Fitness Target Center. The first practice of training camp is scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 29 from 9:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. at Bresnan Arena on the Minnesota State University-Mankato campus. A complete training camp schedule and roster are attached.

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/wolves/2009/09/28/wolves-sign-six-for-camp/

Mel_13
09-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Wolves sign six for camp

5 of the 6 have been on a regular season, summer league, or training camp Spurs roster.

Spurs Brazil
09-29-2009, 07:15 AM
Now that Jack signed with the Wolves how it will work for D-League?
If he’s waived, do the Wolves affiliated team have the preference or the Toros, because the Spurs drafted him?

coyotes_geek
09-29-2009, 10:52 AM
The Toros get first dibs on him if Minnesota cuts him.

timvp
10-07-2009, 03:02 AM
McClinton got waived by the T'Wolves. He must have been pretty damn horrible to get waived this fast.

I wonder if the Toros can get him. I'm sure the Spurs would be happy to add him to the Toros roster.

Bruno
10-07-2009, 04:17 AM
Wow, waived after 1 week of training and he doesn't played in Minny's first game. McClinton professional debuts are very harsh for him.

Even if he was great college player, I doubt he will get big offers from Europe after that and his ugly SL. Going in D-League with Toros could be the best solution for him.

lurker23
10-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Wow, waived after 1 week of training and he doesn't played in Minny's first game. McClinton professional debuts are very harsh for him.

Even if he was great college player, I doubt he will get big offers from Europe after that and his ugly SL. Going in D-League with Toros could be the best solution for him.

It really depends on how much he wants to stay in the US. Even if he were to catch on with a low-level European team, he would be able to make 2-4 times what he could make in the D-League, right? I guess with D-League you have a shot at making some extra cash from 10-day contracts or the outside chance at a pro-rated minimum deal for the rest of the season, but you would think he could get a guarantee of $50,000 to $150,000 somewhere overseas. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

mountainballer
10-07-2009, 11:47 AM
It really depends on how much he wants to stay in the US. Even if he were to catch on with a low-level European team, he would be able to make 2-4 times what he could make in the D-League, right? I guess with D-League you have a shot at making some extra cash from 10-day contracts or the outside chance at a pro-rated minimum deal for the rest of the season, but you would think he could get a guarantee of $50,000 to $150,000 somewhere overseas. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I doubt that at this point he can get any significant guaranteed money in Europe. a make good contract, yes. he is a totally unknown player in Europe, without any reputation. there are still quite a few US players out there unsigned, who already did play some decent basketball in Europe.

Blackjack
10-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Well, selfishy, I can't say this didn't bring a smile to my face.

I never held it against Jack that he believed in his self and wanted to play in the NBA this upcoming year, but this has to be a real wake-up call as to where his game really is.

I honestly believe with a little work and experience he could turn out to be a useful player. Hopefully he realizes how the Spurs did the right thing by him and sees the way some of their D-League prospects are getting a shot now. The relationship he surely built with guys like Hairston, Williams and Gist over the summer and being around them to hear their stories, hopefully leads him back to the Spurs' program; I'm sure he knew it all along that it was a possibility but never wanted to acknowledge it because, like most good college players, he didn't want to believe he wasn't good enough.

I don't see too many great offers coming his way from overseas, even if it wouldn't shock me if there ended up being a decent one, and, really, in terms of comfort and a pathway to the NBA...

The Toros have to be looking pretty good right about now.