PDA

View Full Version : Portable GPS

ATRAIN
09-23-2009, 08:33 AM
I am looking to get one but dont know what to really look for, any recomendations on brand (Garmin, Magellan, Tom Tom). They have some for a little over 100 up to 300+. I just basically want one that gives you turn by turn directions when you enter the end address.

lebomb
09-23-2009, 08:49 AM
I am looking to get one but dont know what to really look for, any recomendations on brand (Garmin, Magellan, Tom Tom). They have some for a little over 100 up to 300+. I just basically want one that gives you turn by turn directions when you enter the end address.

I bought a Mio C230 from the Shack last year. It has text to voice directions (tells you how far you have to go and each street you are about to turn onto) and came with all the accessories.......including window suction cup mount for $149.00

PM5K
09-23-2009, 08:58 AM
I just use my iPhone.

Dr. Gonzo
09-23-2009, 08:58 AM
I use my phone. It does all of that.

ATRAIN
09-23-2009, 09:01 AM
I bought a Mio C230 from the Shack last year. It has text to voice directions (tells you how far you have to go and each street you are about to turn onto) and came with all the accessories.......including window suction cup mount for $149.00

Best buy had a sale on some and I think even the basic ones have all the basic turn by turn stuff.

manufan10
09-23-2009, 09:04 AM
I bought a Magellan in May and used it going to LA. It came in handy. It had turn by turn directions. You could also search for things around your destination or current location: gas stations, stores, hotels, automotive services, landmarks, etc. It gave an ETA, distance, the speed you were going, and direction. It was pretty helpful. I can't think of the name right now, but I'll find out. It was awesome. I don't know what I would have done without it.

lebomb
09-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Best buy had a sale on some and I think even the basic ones have all the basic turn by turn stuff.

Now adays, they are all pretty good. Dont think you can go wrong with any brand really. I would just look at which one has the graphics you like.

lebomb
09-23-2009, 09:06 AM
You could also search for things around your destination or current location: gas stations, stores, hotels, automotive services, landmarks, etc. It gave an ETA, distance, the speed you were going, and direction.

Yep, mine has all those features as well. I had to go downtown here in SA to meet clients for lunch............I typed in the address, and it took me to the front door.

You can also program the quickest or shortest rout to your destination.

ATRAIN
09-23-2009, 09:13 AM
I bought a Magellan in May and used it going to LA. It came in handy. It had turn by turn directions. You could also search for things around your destination or current location: gas stations, stores, hotels, automotive services, landmarks, etc. It gave an ETA, distance, the speed you were going, and direction. It was pretty helpful. I can't think of the name right now, but I'll find out. It was awesome. I don't know what I would have done without it.

Yeah I have used one of those and it was like that. How much did you pay for it?

ATRAIN
09-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Yep, mine has all those features as well. I had to go downtown here in SA to meet clients for lunch............I typed in the address, and it took me to the front door.

You can also program the quickest or shortest rout to your destination.

Thats exacttly what I want. I dont want to spend over 150 for one.

mrsmaalox
09-23-2009, 09:18 AM
I just use my iphone now. My car has one I rarely use. Have a cheap portable TomTom on the boat that I take on vacation and for rental cars that was about $120 and knows absolutely everything. I think they are all about the same in price/capabilities these days.

boutons_deux
09-23-2009, 09:20 AM
yeah, the standard maps app in iphone is great, but there are other GPS iphone apps that are improvements. Extremely competitive sector now. iphone must be hurting the stand-alone units.

ATRAIN
09-23-2009, 09:20 AM
I just use my iphone now. My car has one I rarely use. Have a cheap portable TomTom on the boat that I take on vacation and for rental cars that was about $120 and knows absolutely everything. I think they are all about the same in price/capabilities these days.

WTF you use it on a boat? Does it tell you where the nearest floating Mcdonalds is at?

ATRAIN
09-23-2009, 09:22 AM
yeah, the standard maps app in iphone is great, but there are other GPS iphone apps that are improvements. Extremely competitive sector now. iphone must be hurting the stand-alone units.

I didnt like the iphone GPS and my blackberry one sucks ass. The iphone one got me lost in Houston once. I ended up in a shady part of town lol.

mrsmaalox
09-23-2009, 09:29 AM
WTF you use it on a boat? Does it tell you where the nearest floating Mcdonalds is at?

Um no. I just like to know my longitude/latitude at all times ;)

Soul_Patch
09-23-2009, 09:29 AM
What app do you use on the iphone? The regular maps thing doesnt have voice turn by turn, and the one that ATT offers has a monthly fee.

I saw you can buy a Tom Tom app that basically turns your iphone into a Tom Tom for 99 bucks, but it is a big download, like 4 gigs.

which do you guys use on the iphone that is relatively cheap and has voice turn by turn?

boutons_deux
09-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Having a brain and google maps, I print out where I'm going, then use iphone for when I get close, or lost.

mrsmaalox
09-23-2009, 09:34 AM
I don't like voice turn by turn. I have that in my car and that bitch really gets on my nerves sometimes, so I just turn it off.

ATRAIN
09-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Um no. I just like to know my longitude/latitude at all times ;)
LOL oh ok, I am curious to see what comes out when out on a boat.

Having a brain and google maps, I print out where I'm going, then use iphone for when I get close, or lost.

I dont usually get lost but it comes in handy when your going to meet up with someone while already on the road.

I don't like voice turn by turn. I have that in my car and that bitch really gets on my nerves sometimes, so I just turn it off.

Yeah I can see that but it comes in handy when your driving im sure.

manufan10
09-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Yeah I have used one of those and it was like that. How much did you pay for it?

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/76/33/57/12/0076335712302_150X150.jpg (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11060978) Magellan RoadMate 1340 3.5" GPS Navigator (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11060978)

$144.00

I bought it at Wal-Mart.

(javascript:popupHelp('/cservice/contextual_help_popup.gsp?modId=597464',%20'',%205 50,%20400);)

ATRAIN
09-23-2009, 10:05 AM
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/76/33/57/12/0076335712302_150X150.jpg (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11060978) Magellan RoadMate 1340 3.5" GPS Navigator (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11060978)

$144.00

I bought it at Wal-Mart.

(javascript:popupHelp('/cservice/contextual_help_popup.gsp?modId=597464',%20'',%205 50,%20400);)

Nice

Soul_Patch
09-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Turn by turn nav is just awesome to have. I am a fairly good navigator, and could probably do without it (have been since i got rid of my old phone) but it really helps in a pinch, and when you are out of town.

When i went to Panama City FL for work, it was a freakin godsend, i got so lost on the way to the conference one day, and it pulled through for me.

leemajors
09-23-2009, 10:07 AM

it's pretty damn useful for fishing.

Soul_Patch
I use a GPS religiously on a boat, i would assume these days most boat owners (captains) do.

going offshore its almost a necessity, since there are very few points of reference at sea. Inshore it really helps navigate shallow waters (with the right map packs loaded) and avoid nasty reefs that could otherwise ruin your ass.

ATRAIN
Turn by turn nav is just awesome to have. I am a fairly good navigator, and could probably do without it (have been since i got rid of my old phone) but it really helps in a pinch, and when you are out of town.

When i went to Panama City FL for work, it was a freakin godsend, i got so lost on the way to the conference one day, and it pulled through for me.

Yeah thats usually when it comes in handy. I dont really need it in town unless im trying to get to someones house but businesses are usually easy to find. Its out of town when it would really come in handy

ATRAIN
09-23-2009, 10:08 AM
it's pretty damn useful for fishing.

how so?

Soul_Patch
09-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Offshore - no points of reference to find structure to fish on except GPS coordinates. Talk to any blue water fisherman, and almost all of their "fishing spots" are coordinates, when you reach said spot, it looks like just about anything else in the ocean...just a bunch of water, but there could be structure 2800ft below you that shelter a lot of tuna / AJ / etc...

Inshore - Same thing realy. you ahve points of reference, but want to know where reefs are, channels and markers, shallow vs deep water, etc...I bought a Navionics gold pack for my Lowrance 520c and it has water depths, reefs, insane level of detail for back lakes, small cuts, etc...helps you find fishing spots.

CosmicCowboy
09-23-2009, 10:51 AM

Boats were the first major civilian application for GPS...We have been using them for years to fish Baffin Bay...We'd leave the boat ramp at 5am and run south in the dark at 50mph, navigating around shoals, rocks, hitting navigable boat cuts etc. so we could be in the water fishing at sunrise...

ATRAIN
09-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Boats were the first major civilian application for GPS...We have been using them for years to fish Baffin Bay...We'd leave the boat ramp at 5am and run south in the dark at 50mph, navigating around shoals, rocks, hitting navigable boat cuts etc. so we could be in the water fishing at sunrise...

wow had no idea but very interesting to say the least. You learn something everyday. Do the current GPS's tell you whats coming up and what not?

CosmicCowboy
09-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Offshore - no points of reference to find structure to fish on except GPS coordinates. Talk to any blue water fisherman, and almost all of their "fishing spots" are coordinates, when you reach said spot, it looks like just about anything else in the ocean...just a bunch of water, but there could be structure 2800ft below you that shelter a lot of tuna / AJ / etc...

Inshore - Same thing realy. you ahve points of reference, but want to know where reefs are, channels and markers, shallow vs deep water, etc...I bought a Navionics gold pack for my Lowrance 520c and it has water depths, reefs, insane level of detail for back lakes, small cuts, etc...helps you find fishing spots.

I remember fishing off shore before GPS and we thought we were the cats meow because we had LORAN...it would get us in the neighborhood when we were 40 or 50 miles offshore but we would still have to circle around and find the structure with the depth finder...We were about 60 miles off shore once when the LORAN system went down and we had to navigate/dead reckon back and missed the jetties by about 15 miles...we were damn glad we had plenty of gas and beer LOL.

CosmicCowboy
09-23-2009, 11:01 AM
wow had no idea but very interesting to say the least. You learn something everyday. Do the current GPS's tell you whats coming up and what not?

Oh yeah...it's like a moving map that keeps scrolling down as you go forward...shows water depths, obstacles, inter coastal channel markers, boat cuts, etc.

ATRAIN
09-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Oh yeah...it's like a moving map that keeps scrolling down as you go forward...shows water depths, obstacles, inter coastal channel markers, boat cuts, etc.

wow thats bad ass

CosmicCowboy
09-23-2009, 11:18 AM
wow thats bad ass

The problem at Baffin is that it has lot of rocks that aren't on the map so you can't trust it totally. Most guides that fish there have hundreds more manually plotted on theirs than the original map showed...

We were wade fishing in the badlands a couple of years ago and I saw a guy in a brand new $60,000 flats rig that apparently didn't know that wipe out his lower unit and transom...served the dumb ass right...we were a little over knee deep but the area is covered with rocks that reach almost to the surface...asshole runs right in front of us going about 40mph and then tried to cut between us and the shore...I actually tried to wave em off and told my friend "watch THESE assholes!"...about 3 seconds later it was BLAM! and it threw all of them right out of the boat...

Soul_Patch
09-23-2009, 11:19 AM
I remember fishing off shore before GPS and we thought we were the cats meow because we had LORAN...it would get us in the neighborhood when we were 40 or 50 miles offshore but we would still have to circle around and find the structure with the depth finder...We were about 60 miles off shore once when the LORAN system went down and we had to navigate/dead reckon back and missed the jetties by about 15 miles...we were damn glad we had plenty of gas and beer LOL.

Heh, we used to go offshore when i was a kid with nothing but a compass. We never really went more than around 30 miles out, but we just checked what our bearing was heading out, and reversed it to come back. Never had a problem being off more than about a mile or so. I still think it is amazing that we used to go so far off shore in a 19ft Whaler, with little to no electronics, single engine, and have an absolute blast. Never fished bottom structure back then, usually either went out to the exxon rig, or found blue water, and trolled the rip for kings / dolphin / hoo....man i miss that stuff.

Now people freak out if you go out with anything less than 2 outboards, epirb, radar, chart plotters, sat phones, and a 30ft boat. I dont see how people afford it these days.

Soul_Patch
09-23-2009, 11:22 AM
The problem at Baffin is that it has lot of rocks that aren't on the map so you can't trust it totally. Most guides that fish there have hundreds more manually plotted on theirs than the original map showed...

We were wade fishing in the badlands a couple of years ago and I saw a guy in a brand new $60,000 flats rig that apparently didn't know that wipe out his lower unit and transom...served the dumb ass right...we were a little over knee deep but the area is covered with rocks that reach almost to the surface...asshole runs right in front of us going about 40mph and then tried to cut between us and the shore...I actually tried to wave em off and told my friend "watch THESE assholes!"...about 3 seconds later it was BLAM! and it threw all of them right out of the boat...

I always get really nervous in baffin, and really wont go there without someone that knows it at least a little bit. Although, i can fish in St. Charles bay with my eyes shut. There are probably 75% more things that can destroy a boat in that little bay than anywhere else, i guess its just a matter of what you are comfortable with.

CosmicCowboy
09-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Heh, we used to go offshore when i was a kid with nothing but a compass. We never really went more than around 30 miles out, but we just checked what our bearing was heading out, and reversed it to come back. Never had a problem being off more than about a mile or so. I still think it is amazing that we used to go so far off shore in a 19ft Whaler, with little to no electronics, single engine, and have an absolute blast. Never fished bottom structure back then, usually either went out to the exxon rig, or found blue water, and trolled the rip for kings / dolphin / hoo....man i miss that stuff.

Now people freak out if you go out with anything less than 2 outboards, epirb, radar, chart plotters, and a 30ft boat. I dont see how people afford it these days.

Yeah, we went out the same way before LORAN...fish rigs and weedlines...we would have the long rigs mapped and dead reckon to them...

That day we missed the jetties so bad was because we were trolling blue water and not really using the LORAN, and didn't even know the system was down till it was time to start back...so we didn't really know exactly where we were starting from.

Soul_Patch
09-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Yeah, we went out the same way before LORAN...fish rigs and weedlines...we would have the long rigs mapped and dead reckon to them...

That day we missed the jetties so bad was because we were trolling blue water and not really using the LORAN, and didn't even know the system was down till it was time to start back...so we didn't really know exactly where we were starting from.

I am sure that could get harry, When i went out on my own a few times after that (when i was at the helm) i forgot to check my bearing a time or two, always made me feel uneasy. I always knew, somewhat, where i had to point to hit the jetties, and always made it back within reach...so thats good i guess :)