PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Sign Bogans, Jerrells and Dwayne Jones, Waive McClinton

spursdotcom
09-23-2009, 04:21 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/keith_bogans_090923.html

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/jerrells_jones_090923.html

:toast

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_waive_mcclinton_090923.html

ChumpDumper
09-23-2009, 04:24 PM
I thought it was pretty interesting that Jones didn't play for the Spurs' SL team, but the Pistons did seem to have some open roster spots at the time.

Giving guys like Jones, Jarrells and the guaranteed draft picks some training camp money can mitigate the peanuts they would get in the D-League.

coyotes_geek
09-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Did I just miss the news about this Jones guy, or are we just now finding out? Doesn't really matter, if he's sharing a press release with Jerrells he's only going to be around for about as long as Jerrells.

Mel_13
09-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks.

That's the maximum 20 players if Gist and McClinton make it to camp without signing overseas.

BlackBellamy
09-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Bogans, Jerrells and Jones: a swing man perimeter defender, a PG and a 6-11 big man. Happy now Spurstalkers? :lol

kbrury
09-23-2009, 04:27 PM
In past seasons I always wanted the spurs to take a chance on Jones, what happens if he outplays Mahinmi?

coyotes_geek
09-23-2009, 04:29 PM
In past seasons I always wanted the spurs to take a chance on Jones, what happens if he outplays Mahinmi?

The same thing that happens if he doesn't outplay Mahinmi. He'll get cut.

kbrury
09-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Well I also mean do the Spurs just dump Mahinmi like some posters have suggested depending on his performance in the TC.

Jones is decent I wouldn't be surprised if he plays better then Ian.

spursdotcom
09-23-2009, 04:34 PM
McClinton Released

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_waive_mcclinton_090923.html

kbrury
09-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Any news on Gist?

DPG21920
09-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Damn, that was a quick decision. Thank God Blair fell. They were going to use that pick on Jack.

Mel_13
09-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Well I also mean do the Spurs just dump Mahinmi like some posters have suggested depending on his performance in the TC.

Jones is decent I wouldn't be surprised if he plays better then Ian.

The Spurs have until Oct 31 to decide whether or not to pick up Mahinmi's 1.78M option for the 2010-11 season. If they do not pick up the option it will be a clear sign that the experiment is over and that Ian is no longer part of any future plans.

kbrury
09-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Damn, that was a quick decision. Thank God Blair fell. They were going to use that pick on Jack.

Amen

So this means the Spurs don't have his rights anymore?

Leetonidas
09-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Yawn. More training camp fodder (Jerrelles and Jones).

mountainballer
09-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks.

That's the maximum 20 players if Gist and McClinton make it to camp without signing overseas.

can they go to camp, be cut and Spurs still keep their rights?

coyotes_geek
09-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Amen

So this means the Spurs don't have his rights anymore?

Correct. No rights to McClinton, but if he ends up in the D-league he becomes a Toro automatically.

Mel_13
09-23-2009, 04:44 PM
can they go to camp, be cut and Spurs still keep their rights?

Once they're cut, they become FAs

ChumpDumper
09-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Correct. No rights to McClinton, but if he ends up in the D-league he becomes a Toro automatically.Well, the Toros get the right of first refusal at least.

Strange turn of events; I hope someone explains what happened at some point.

Bruno
09-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Jones is a quality player for a training camp invite. Spurs have now 8 bigs for the training camp (Duncan, McDyess, Blair, Mahinmi, Haislip, Bonner, Ratliff and Jones). Adding Gist will give them 9 bigs. :downspin:
If Gist sign with Spurs, it will likely be with the goal to turn him into a SF.

The release of McClinton is quite surprising. Either Spurs have been nice with him and have released him to give him a fair chance to get a roster spot with another team or his attitude was so bad that they didn't want him training camp.

coyotes_geek
09-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Well, the Toros get the right of first refusal at least.

Strange turn of events; I hope someone explains what happened at some point.

Only thing I can think of is that the Spurs pretty much explained the numbers crunch to him about how he really didn't have a shot at being on the team this year and he decided he'd rather be a FA than to go overseas. With McClinton having the right to accept the tender offer at any time, he had the ability to force the Spurs to either keep him on the roster or waive him. Perhaps this is just the Spurs doing him a favor to give him time to try and find another team willing to give him a shot as opposed to bringing him to training camp and cutting him right before the season.

timvp
09-23-2009, 04:53 PM
I've been high on Dwayne Jones for a while. He can't do much but he can really rebound, which is a useful asset. He'll give Mahinmi a good run for his money and could be good insurance in case Ratliff breaks down before the end of camp.

Do the Spurs still have any rights to McClinton? Could they have waived him to allow him to go overseas? It's not huge news and he didn't seem like he had a chance to make the team but it'd be odd to waive him now if they don't retain any rights to him.

ChumpDumper
09-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Only thing I can think of is that the Spurs pretty much explained the numbers crunch to him about how he really didn't have a shot at being on the team this year and he decided he'd rather be a FA than to go overseas.Yeah, he may have figured he had as good a shot as any of the other unguaranteed players, but the Bogans signing changed the equation.

Libri
09-23-2009, 04:54 PM

Yeah.

coyotes_geek
09-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Hairston and Williams have both been waived by the Spurs multiple times, so this move doesn't neccissarily mean that the Spurs and McClinton are finished with each other.

DPG21920
09-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but a Finley+Bonner trade would certainly open things up for the Spurs and the roster.

Keep Malik+Williams and then add Gist or Jones.

ChumpDumper
09-23-2009, 05:00 PM
I've been high on Dwayne Jones for a while. He can't do much but he can really rebound, which is a useful asset. He'll give Mahinmi a good run for his money and could be good insurance in case Ratliff breaks down before the end of camp.--or if the Spurs trade away a big man.

Do the Spurs still have any rights to McClinton?I doubt it.
Could they have waived him to allow him to go overseas?I guess there is enough time to be picked up by another NBA squad, but he really couldn't have known about any post-draft interest from an NBA team unless his agent caught wind of a trade offer.
It's not huge news and he didn't seem like he had a chance to make the team but it'd be odd to waive him now if they don't retain any rights to him.I'm thinking they are doing him and his agent a favor -- or he just really sucked.

TD 21
09-23-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm surprised to see McClinton waived before camp even begins. We knew he wouldn't make the team, but I figured they'd keep up through at least most of the exhibition season before sending him to either the Toros or to Europe.

I would not be surprised to see the Knicks give him a chance. When they traded for the 29th pick in the draft, many thought it was with the intention of drafting McClinton. They took Douglas, however, they're still looking for back court depth. Almond was on their summer league team, and now Pruitt and Yue have been signed to non-guaranteed contracts. Plus, McClinton is a shooter, which we know D'Antoni likes, and the Knicks need.

Jones has no chance at beating out Mahinmi. I'm not sure why people think his roster spot is in question during camp/pre-season, but I'd be absolutely shocked if he's not a Spur for the entire season, barring being included in a deal where the Spurs thought it could put them over the top.

mountainballer
09-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Once they're cut, they become FAs

yeah, that's what I thought. bringing them in this year would be like burning their rights. jury is still out if they might not develop into legit NBA players in a year or two.

Mel_13
09-23-2009, 05:05 PM
The article says they signed McClinton on the 14th? thats news to me. I guess the Spurs figured he could catch on somewhere else. I wish him the best of luck.

They didn't do a press release. I wonder if Gist is already signed as well.

bigdog
09-23-2009, 05:05 PM
I like the Bogans signing, and Jerrells is pretty much just training camp fodder. Now, I think Jones could really turn some heads, and give Mahinmi some competition, although I still think Mahinmi will get the spot.

Even though McClinton had a poor SL, it's still surprising to see him cut right now. They probably did it to let him have a chance to go to another team or overseas.

timaios
09-23-2009, 05:06 PM
big decisions to make right now,,, reall big decisions,,,,,11:49 AM Sep 22nd

From Jack McClinton on Twitter.

http://twitter.com/jackmcclinton

mountainballer
09-23-2009, 05:07 PM
The article says they signed McClinton on the 14th? thats news to me. I guess the Spurs figured he could catch on somewhere else. I wish him the best of luck.

news to me too. what sense does it make to sign a player in September and cut him a week later and loose his rights? don't get this.
(especially considering how high they have been on him on draft night, reportedly they would have used the #37 pick on him if Blair didn't fall to that spot)

ChumpDumper
09-23-2009, 05:08 PM
I don't know if it was so much a signing as it was McClinton's accepting a tender offer.

mytespurs
09-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Are these good signings?

objective
09-23-2009, 05:12 PM
does McClinton have the record for a draftee getting cut? Carrawell and Bracey each lasted a week at least, right?

Mel_13
09-23-2009, 05:13 PM
news to me too. what sense does it make to sign a player in September and cut him a week later and loose his rights? don't get this.
(especially considering how high they have been on him on draft night, reportedly they would have used the #37 pick on him if Blair didn't fall to that spot)

This is pure speculation.

The Spurs tell McC after SL that it would be best for him to go overseas.

McC wants to take his chances in the States.

Spurs make tender offer on Sep 6 as required by CBA to keep his rights.

McC signs tender offer on Sep 14th.

Spurs sign Bogans.

McC asks for his release so he can try to get an invite to an NBA camp where he has a better chance to make the team.

TDMVPDPOY
09-23-2009, 05:16 PM
u dont drop mahinmi, i rather trade his candy ass, thats if jones outplays him and makes the roster....

lurker23
09-23-2009, 05:16 PM
This is pure speculation.

The Spurs tell McC after SL that it would be best for him to go overseas.

McC wants to take his chances in the States.

Spurs make tender offer on Sep 6 as required by CBA to keep his rights.

McC signs tender offer on Sep 14th.

Spurs sign Bogans.

McC asks for his release so he can try to get an invite to an NBA camp where he has a better chance to make the team.

That would be my guess too. It's the only thing that really makes sense at this point.

Still, what a waste of a draft pick. :pctoss

Bruno
09-23-2009, 05:18 PM
The most likely explanation with McClinton is that he signed last week with a long shot of making the team. The addition of Bogans turned this long shot into no shot at all.

Having no shot of making the team, McClinton asked to be released or Spurs offered him to be released to try his chance elsewhere (other NBA training camp or in Europe).

McClinton twitter "big decisions to make right now,,, reall big decisions,,,,," makes me think that is was the second option and Spurs have been honest and nice with him.

tmtcsc
09-23-2009, 05:27 PM
I kind of feel bad for Jack McClinton. He was so excited to get drafted. He got the nice suite, had tons of confidence and then reality him in the face like a brick or like a cold bucket of water. He couldn't get his shot off against the summer league competition and then decided that he wouldn't even try to shoot and just concentrate on other aspects of his game.

We'll see how much desire he has and how hard he works to make his way back to the league.

Good Luck.

mountainballer
09-23-2009, 05:27 PM

yeah. we could have used it for this French combo, oh wait.

Spurs Brazil
09-23-2009, 05:28 PM
They didn't do a press release. I wonder if Gist is already signed as well.

I don't think so. The McClinton press release said the roster now stands at 18

That's the 14 guaranteed contracts plus Williams, Malik, Jones and Jerrells

SpurCharger
09-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Bogans will be The Only One To Even Crack The Lineup.... The Rest Of them Will Be in street Clothes Or Playin for the toros...

coyotes_geek
09-23-2009, 06:06 PM
I don't think so. The McClinton press release said the roster now stands at 18

That's the 14 guaranteed contracts plus Williams, Malik, Jones and Jerrells

That certainly fits with Gist having shown a willingness to go to Europe last year. He could have forced the hand a year ago, but didn't.

coyotes_geek
09-23-2009, 06:09 PM

Let's see what happens. Right now there's much better odds of McClinton being a Toro next year than there are him being on a different NBA team.

Spurs Brazil
09-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Roster moves a-go go (Or, Jack, we hardly knew ye)
By Jeff McDonald on Sep 23, 09 05:09 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) Save & Share Yahoo! BuzzYahoo! Newsvine del.icio.us Facebook Google Reddit Fark
The Spurs made a handful of roster moves today in preparation for the start of training camp, most of which were either completely expected or completely minor.

As expected, they inked journeyman guard Keith Bogans to a guaranteed one-year deal worth the league minimum of $1.03 million. They signed Baylor ex Curtis Jerrells and Dwyane Jones, a 6-foot-11 forward/center who spent most of last season in the NBA's Developmental League, to training camp contracts.

The most unexpected move, however, was not a player the Spurs added but a player they subtracted. The Spurs waived Jack McClinton, the rookie guard from Miami who was one of the team's three second-round picks in the June draft.

Or maybe it wasn't so unexpected after all. After selecting McClinton 51st overall, general manager R.C. Buford billed the 6-foot-1 gunner as the best college shooter in the draft. Then McClinton went to the Las Vegas summer league -- and apparently shot his way out of the Spurs' plans.

In five games in Vegas, McClinton shot 21.7 percent from the field and 25 percent from 3-point range.

After the flurry of moves this afternoon, the Spurs' training camp roster stands at 18, including 14 players with fully guaranteed contracts. They must trim the roster to 15 before camp is over.
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/09/roster-moves-a-.html

EricB
09-23-2009, 06:26 PM
That would be my guess too. It's the only thing that really makes sense at this point.

God are you people ever fucking happy?

TDMVPDPOY
09-23-2009, 06:27 PM
how would you compare Jones performance in the D-league to mahinmi/sims performance?

ChumpDumper
09-23-2009, 06:34 PM
how would you compare Jones performance in the D-league to mahinmi/sims performance?Compared to Ian, Jones is stronger and a better rebounder. Ian is a better scorer and defensive anchor.

TDMVPDPOY
09-23-2009, 06:57 PM
i know we got alot of players atm

would this be a good deal...trading finley/bonner + watever to knicks for Jeffries to be long 3 replacement...helps knicks clear capsapce, while we get the long 3 whose earning what MLE player option 2010/11

even eddy curry has a player option for 2010/11 11.2m, most of the knicks other players are expiring contracts this season....

HarlemHeat37
09-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Jeffries is pretty horrible, this coming from somebody that lives in NY and goes to a number of Knicks games..

I think we can get a better deal, since we're giving up 2 expiring contracts with players that can actually have a use on a team..

lurker23
09-23-2009, 07:10 PM
God are you people ever fucking happy?

Listen, I'm not trying to over-dramatize this. Second round picks rarely turn into NBA players, and I've said in the past that McClinton needed some work on his all-around game to become an NBA player. However, he is still a heck of a shooter, and a guy the Spurs were high on heading into the draft. Now they've lost the rights to him without even getting to see what he can do in camp. No, it's not the end of the world, but there's nothing about the situation to be happy about; I can guarantee you the Spurs aren't happy about it either.

elbamba
09-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but a Finley+Bonner trade would certainly open things up for the Spurs and the roster.

Keep Malik+Williams and then add Gist or Jones.

Problem is finding someone who will take them. I don't think it would happen until the trade deadline.

Ocotillo
09-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Thank God Blair fell. They were going to use that pick on Jack.

I know the front office came out and said that but I don't believe they would have used the pick on Jack. I think it was just a statment made to make Jack feel more coveted. We probably would never know who was their actual pick (Budinger?) if Blair had not been available but I think they were just stroking the ego of a late second round pick.

Bruno
09-23-2009, 07:31 PM
McClinton being waived is also a sign that Spurs won't dump Finley.

MaNu4Tres
09-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Package Mason in a deal for Nocioni/SJax/ Battier.

I know the horse has been beat to death, but it would improve our chances for the 5th ring.

EricB
09-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Package Mason in a deal for Nocioni/SJax/ Battier.

I know the horse has been beat to death, but it would improve our chances for the 5th ring.

Where do people keep thinking the Rockets would give up Battier....

angelbelow
09-23-2009, 09:02 PM
best of luck to mcclinton.

loveforthegame
09-23-2009, 09:16 PM
McClinton being waived is also a sign that Spurs won't dump Finley.

They could still dump him to make room for Hairston or Williams couldn't they? Gist even?

I like the Jones signing though I think it's a long shot he beats Mahinmi out. The competition certainly doesn't hurt.

timaios
09-23-2009, 09:21 PM
@hotleo20 it aint bad i asked to be released so i could go elsewhee
4 minutes ago from web in reply to hotleo20

@ChristianDudley i asked them to release me, it wasnt like that
5 minutes ago from web in reply to ChristianDudley

From Jack McClinton on twitter.

outmap
09-23-2009, 09:28 PM

1. The Rockets have four players that play SF (Battier, Ariza, T-Mac and Budinger). They just signed Ariza, T-Mac is in his contract year, and Chase is a rookie; Shane might be the odd man out.
2. They don't have anyone that can play at SG aside from T-Mac (they want Barry out).
3. They badly need a center.

Those are circumstances why people are thinking the Rockets might be willing to let go of Battier. Although unlikely, a trade for Mason and Mihinmi can be appealing for them.

barbacoataco
09-23-2009, 09:29 PM
If no trades are made, it looks like Williams and Hairston will be battling for the 15th spot, with the chance that neither one makes it.

As much youth as the Spurs have added, they also have added veteran players like Ratliff and Bogans. It will be interesting to see where the minutes go. If everyone's healthy, I don't see Williams or Hairston getting much playing time. And Duncan, McDyess, Bonner and Ratliff could get a lot of the minutes at the 4/5 position. But eventually the Spurs will have to develop some young players.

coyotes_geek
09-23-2009, 09:32 PM
From Jack McClinton on twitter.

That pretty much wraps up any speculation how this all went down. Spurs make a tender offer because they're required to. Jack takes it and then asks to be released when he realizes he's not going to make the team this year. The Spurs really didn't have much of a say in things.

kbrury
09-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Good luck to McClinton, it was bad luck that the Spurs were going all out this year with all roster spots for a Championship I hope he makes it somewhere.

bigfan
09-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Hey McClinton appeared to sucketh greatly. Adios amigo.

TIMMYD!
09-23-2009, 09:42 PM
I smell a trade....

TIMMYD!
...I hope

kbrury
While he did suck it up in SL its hard to judge McClinton for the role they wanted him in. In SL its mostly man to man while with all the other Spurs in the preseason who draw more attention he would have a lot more open shots.

MaNu4Tres
09-23-2009, 09:52 PM

I'm not saying they would. And who knows, I'm sure we have pieces Rockets would like to acquire say Mason/ Finley+ Splitter could maybe get that deal done. Not saying I would do it, but it could be possible.

I just think upgrading at the 3rd wing spot( behind Manu and Jefferson) with a more all around player than Mason would give us a better chance at number 5.

SenorSpur
09-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Compared to Ian, Jones is stronger and a better rebounder. Ian is a better scorer and defensive anchor.

CD,
Can you, or anyone else, provide a comparison of Dwayne Jones versus Darryl Watkins, who was the surprise big man of last year's training camp?

lurker23
09-23-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm not saying they would. And who knows, I'm sure we have pieces Rockets would like to acquire say Mason/ Finley+ Splitter could maybe get that deal done. Not saying I would do it, but it could be possible.

I just think upgrading at the 3rd wing spot( behind Manu and Jefferson) with a more all around player than Mason would give us a better chance at number 5.

If that were to happen, they'd better win a championship. Otherwise, if the Spurs trade the rights to Splitter to the Rockets and he signs with them next summer, there will be rioting on the streets of SpursTalk.

Solid D
09-23-2009, 10:31 PM
http://coreygilmore.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Hey guys, now if we can only trade Finley and Bonner
we can get to the next level.

MaNu4Tres
09-23-2009, 10:41 PM
http://coreygilmore.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Hey guys, now if we can only trade Finley and Bonner
we can get to the next level.

Not really because we wouldn't get anything in return for that worthy enough to play valuable minutes come May and June. Finley/ Bonner trade scenarios are pipe dreams.

kbrury
09-23-2009, 10:41 PM
:rollin

Blackjack
09-23-2009, 10:43 PM

I'm really going to have to rewatch Office Space...

EricB
09-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Not really because we wouldn't get anything in return for that worthy enough to play valuable minutes come May and June. Finley/ Bonner trade scenarios are pipe dreams.

Dude, Sarcasm, look it up.

MaNu4Tres
09-23-2009, 10:56 PM

Sarcasm ? Really?

EricB
09-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Sarcasm ? Really?

Yes, Solid D was being VERY VERY sarcastic.

Hence the hilarious picture.

completely deck
09-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Sarcasm ? Really?

Look up the term "beating a dead horse"

Mel_13
09-23-2009, 11:16 PM
Yes, Solid D was being VERY VERY sarcastic.

Hence the hilarious picture.

You both might want to re-read the thread starting at post 57

MaNu4Tres
09-23-2009, 11:30 PM

I thought he was making a joke on how many people have suggested Finley/ Bonner for something valuable in return. Therefore put the picture of a dead horse. I don't think he was being sarcastic on how we can get something great back in return for Finley/ Bonner like you suggest.

EricB
09-23-2009, 11:33 PM
I thought he was making a joke on how many people have suggested Finley/ Bonner for something valuable in return. Therefore put the picture of a dead horse. I don't think he was being sarcastic on how we can get something great back in return for Finley/ Bonner like you suggest.

It was both. A joke and sarcasm. He was not serious one i ota.

Blackjack
09-23-2009, 11:47 PM

Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta...

EricB
09-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta...

I had a really cool name till that no talent ass clown fucked it all up.

Blackjack
09-23-2009, 11:58 PM
^^:lol

Ditty
09-24-2009, 12:02 AM
dumbest move probably all off season by the spurs

what hurts the spurs by putting a guy in austin for one year and seeing how he did and if sucked in austin cut his ass or tell him to play in europe he is a hell of a shooter i hope no one offers him a contract and ends up fighting years down the line with jerrells

who knows maybe he had a character issue but there musy be some reason why he was cut not just because he sucked in summer league

but please pop and rc get rid of bonner or finley even for cash considerations now we really need some more young guys on this team with hairston and williams who can play

Ditty
09-24-2009, 12:05 AM
The San Antonio Spurs (http://www.sanantoniospurs.com/)' 2009 second round draft choice, Jack McClinton (http://twitter.com/JackMcClinton), has reportedly asked to be released. In a tweet Wednesday night directed at Minnesota Timberwolves' rookie guard, Jonny Flynn, McClinton responded when asked if his training camp would be in San Antonio, "na i asked them to release me bro, im tryna get in wit somebody else it just wasnt working out over there."

kbrury
09-24-2009, 12:12 AM

what hurts the spurs by putting a guy in austin for one year and seeing how he did and if sucked in austin cut his ass or tell him to play in europe he is a hell of a shooter i hope no one offers him a contract and ends up fighting years down the line with jerrells

who knows maybe he had a character issue but there musy be some reason why he was cut not just because he sucked in summer league

but please pop and rc get rid of bonner or finley even for cash considerations now we really need some more young guys on this team with hairston and williams who can play

When the dumbest move of your teams offseason is letting a second round draft pick go because he feels it is right ill take it any year.

iManu
09-24-2009, 12:19 AM
:deadhorse Funny. :)

EricB
09-24-2009, 12:23 AM

He asked for his release.....

Blackjack
09-24-2009, 12:36 AM

Dumbest?

I'd say more unfortunate than anything.

The Spurs didn't have room for him on the roster, which is actually not such a bad thing, since it means they've actually got plenty of quality players, and Jack wanted no part of going overseas or playing with the Toros.

No one's at fault here.

It would have been ideal if Jack would've agreed to go overseas or play with the Toros for a year, but it was something out of the Spurs' hands. Jack wants to play in the NBA and seeing as the Spurs would inevitably waive him at some point, they gave him his release so that he'd have a better chance at making someone's roster.

Like I said, it's unfortunate, but the Spurs did the right thing given the circumstance, and hopefully Jack lands on his feet. And if he should fail to catch on with another NBA team, I'm sure he'll have a spot on the Toros waiting if he decides to not going overseas.

Something that'd be possible because of the first-class way in which the Spurs handled his release.

Oh, and, have you seen my stapler???

MaNu4Tres
09-24-2009, 12:37 AM
McClinton will be overseas or in the D-League by November. He is not a NBA player right now.

Ditty
09-24-2009, 12:41 AM
sorry guys i jsut found out he asked for his release

he made his bed he was giving time in summer league and he did nothing to prove himself and if he was true spur he would be austin

i hope this guy is picked as bonehead of the week on woai espicially when the spurs raise the larry o'brian trophy in june

lurker23
09-24-2009, 02:41 AM
McClinton sums it up pretty well on his Twitter. Pretty much the same as everything we heard and speculated throughout the day.

http://twitter.com/JackMcClinton

"in response to all,yes, I have been released from san an.I enjoyed working with them so much this summer &learned alot from the veteran club"

"bc there was not an open spot 4 me, I asked to be released to pursue my dream elsewhere.Thank u 2 the san an fans for all of your support!"

"Gnite tweet world... 2moro, new day, same grind. My shot is feeling better than ever! Let’s see where it will take me next"

timtonymanu
09-24-2009, 02:43 AM
interesting about Dwayne Jones. I've always wanted to see him get invited to training camp. McClinton had no chance of making the roster this year. Good luck to you Jack!

TimDunkem
09-24-2009, 03:37 AM
sorry guys i jsut found out he asked for his release

he made his bed he was giving time in summer league and he did nothing to prove himself and if he was true spur he would be austin

i hope this guy is picked as bonehead of the week on woai espicially when the spurs raise the larry o'brian trophy in june
Would the Spurs mail his ring to Austin for him, or what?

kobyz
09-24-2009, 03:47 AM
1. The Rockets have four players that play SF (Battier, Ariza, T-Mac and Budinger). They just signed Ariza, T-Mac is in his contract year, and Chase is a rookie; Shane might be the odd man out.
2. They don't have anyone that can play at SG aside from T-Mac (they want Barry out).
3. They badly need a center.

Those are circumstances why people are thinking the Rockets might be willing to let go of Battier. Although unlikely, a trade for Mason and Mihinmi can be appealing for them.

to get Battier from Rockets we have to give Splitter, Battier has fine contract for his value so only expiring contracts will not be enough here, but adding Splitter will give us Battier(i dont know if it's worth for us to give Splitter for Battier - i think no).
in other side only expiring contracts could give us Nocioni or Jax!

kobyz
09-24-2009, 03:57 AM
if a trade will not made their a good chance that either Williams or Hairston make the team and the Spurs instead sign an experience PG like Chucky Atkins.

Muser
09-24-2009, 06:09 AM
Because of his size if he ever wants to play in the NBA he really needs to develop some PG skills, no way he can defend the SG of the league.

ceperez
09-24-2009, 06:10 AM
McClinton sums it up pretty well on his Twitter. Pretty much the same as everything we heard and speculated throughout the day.

http://twitter.com/JackMcClinton
"bc there was not an open spot 4 me, I asked to be released to pursue my dream elsewhere.Thank u 2 the san an fans for all of your support!"

Dumb move! He thinks he's too good for San Antonio's pre-season or Toros D-league. He didn't show up during Summer League.

It shouldn't have mattered if he didn't have a slot, the experience in itself would have been worth the investment.

Oh well!

mountainballer
09-24-2009, 07:07 AM
Dumb move! He thinks he's too good for San Antonio's pre-season or Toros D-league. He didn't show up during Summer League.

It shouldn't have mattered if he didn't have a slot, the experience in itself would have been worth the investment.

Oh well!

oh well???????
you really judge a young player for trying to get into the NBA and for not exultantly going to d-league for ridiculous d-league money?
he would have been cut during Oktober anyhow. so why hurt the chances of a young player to find another team? of course his chance to find a team are better before camp, when many teams are still building their final roster. (something the Spurs already have done). to waive him now is just business and a player friendly politic by the Spurs.
if he can't get a NBA contract in the next 6 weeks, he can still join the Toros.
he knows that, his agent knows that, Spurs FO knows that, most Spurstalker know that.
why don't you get it?

K-State Spur
09-24-2009, 08:54 AM

with the moves made this offseason, odds were long of anybody drafted there making the team. despite blair falling, this was still a very weak draft class.

with perfect hindsight, the best options would have been to:

a) trade the pick. but unless another team was eyeing a specific player who was falling (not as likely in this weak draft), the pick wouldn't have much - if any - value.

b) draft and stash another player. but we know how popular that strategy already is with spurs fans.

as is, they took a shot on a guy with some upside and it basically bombed out when he struggled so much in the summer league. technically, yeah that's a wasted pick, but only in the sense that any gamble that doesn't pay off is wasted.

rjv
09-24-2009, 09:30 AM
this training camp is of the utmost importance to ian mahimini. he needs to stay healthy and show something in the minutes he gets in preseason games.

lennyalderette
09-24-2009, 12:23 PM
i dont think the f.o is happy about this either, i also agree with the fella saying there is less of a chance that finley is leaving, im sure by the deadline if we get good offers for bonner and finley, like battier, which is a wet dream at this point then of course the f.o will pull the trigger and im sure they are trying to get the best deals, whatever happens, the trades we have made and the acquisitions so far are legit and we should be content because right now if were healthy we can def beat l.a

lennyalderette
09-24-2009, 12:24 PM
aww man that sucks someone has the same pic as me!!!!!

benefactor
09-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Not to divert away from the topic...but what happened to completely deck?

Bruno
09-24-2009, 02:23 PM
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_college_hurricanes/2009/09/jack-mcclinton-in-a-familar-situation.html

Jack McClinton in a familar situation

Posted by Shandel Richardson on September 24, 2009 10:51 AM

When former UM guard Jack McClinton was drafted by the San Antonio Spurs, he called it a "great fit."

That once comforting feeling turned into a pair of jeans three sizes too small. With the Spurs recently signing veteran guard Keith Bogans, rookie Curtis Jerrells and center Dwayne Jones, the 6-foot-1 McClinton saw his chances of making the team go from slim to none. The Spurs have 18 players on the rosters, but will have to cut three before the season begins.

McClinton likely would have been among the departures. His father said the Spurs had interest in sending McClinton to Europe for a season.He instead requested the Spurs release him and will pursue free agency.

"They (the Spurs) kept making it more and more obvious," Jack McClinton Sr. said. "Signing Keith Bogans was basically the last straw. He thought he could go in and unseat those guys, but they continued to sign other guys."

McClinton expects to know something in a couple weeks, but finding a team won't be easy because it's so late in the process. Most teams have their rosters set for the veterans camp, which begin Monday.

McClinton Sr., said he wishes the move would have been made sooner, but knows his son will battle back. He's been in these situations throughout his career. He was lightly recruited out of high school and landed at Siena before transferring to UM, where he became a two-time All-ACC player.

The knock on McClinton now is he has no true position in the NBA.

"He's been down about it and discouraged, but it's the story of Jack's life," McClinton Sr. said. "One day he's going to write a book about it."

The Truth #6
09-24-2009, 03:17 PM
I think McClinton's position is valid. I see no reason to stick around if you aren't going to make the team. It's a business.

It's not going to get much easier for him elsewhere, however.

SenorSpur
09-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Don't blame the guy for doing what's best for himself. However, let's not get this thing twisted, he absolutely sucked during SL. All young players come into the NBA thinking their games are tailor-made for the league. McClinton needs to realize that he's got work to do before he becomes an NBA-caliber player. If he already were, he would've likely gone in the 1st round.

Also, it's never a good idea to have immediate family members speaking on your behalf.

Bruno
09-24-2009, 04:34 PM
When you look at minutes played last year:
Richard Jefferson: 36mpg
Manu Ginobili: 27mpg
Roger Mason: 30mpg
Michael Finley: 29mpg
Keith Bogans: 20mpg

It makes 142mpg while there is 96 mpg available at SG/SF. Add to that two prospects (Hairston and Williams) and Spurs are ridiculously stacked at SG/SF.

I also think that McClinton will have to learn to play some PG in Europe or D-League if he wants to have a chance of making it in the NBA. There are very few (no?) players as short as him playing only SG. Even Eddie House plays some PG in Boston.

mountainballer
09-24-2009, 04:54 PM
the number of available wing minutes could be even more reduced, when assuming that Hill will play some minutes at the 2.

wildbill2u
09-24-2009, 05:35 PM
The most likely explanation with McClinton is that he signed last week with a long shot of making the team. The addition of Bogans turned this long shot into no shot at all.

Having no shot of making the team, McClinton asked to be released or Spurs offered him to be released to try his chance elsewhere (other NBA training camp or in Europe).

McClinton twitter "big decisions to make right now,,, reall big decisions,,,,," makes me think that is was the second option and Spurs have been honest and nice with him.

Spurs are usually honest and nice with their players and draftees. Remember they let Scola go when they didn't have to. You can argue that was a big mistake, but very few teams FO would have made the gesture IMHO>

Blackjack
09-24-2009, 05:40 PM
His father said the Spurs had interest in sending McClinton to Europe for a season. He instead requested the Spurs release him and will pursue free agency.

His father may bemoan the Spurs for not releasing him earlier, but they obviously wanted to keep him in the program and not just throw away a prospect. Asking him to go overseas for a year, in hopes that he could improve his game and find a place on the roster the following year, was absolutely the right move on the Spurs' behalf.

I don't have any problem with Jack deciding that that wasn't the route he was looking to take and asking for his release, but his father needs to realize how fortunate he was to be drafted by a team like the Spurs who actually granted him said release at a time when there was still a chance at catching on with someone else.

The Spurs could've just as easily lead him on with the idea that he could make the roster, cut him after camp when he'd have basically zero chance of catching on with a team because of the inability to showcase himself on a stacked Spurs TC roster, which would ultimately leave him ending up with two options: Overseas or the Toros? -- Which would've been much more to the Spurs' benefit, not in terms of Jack's feelings towards the Spurs, but by essentially eliminating any competition or market place for his services.

The Truth #6
09-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Then you look at Gist who played a year in Europe and came back and looked way worse in SL as compared to the year before. Obviously, there's no guaranteed path to take. But yes, McClinton did suck in SL and needs to work on his game in hopes to find a niche in the NBA.

z0sa
09-24-2009, 08:48 PM
does spurdotcom get a spur for breaking the news?

SouthTexasRancher
09-24-2009, 10:08 PM
This is going to be one of the most interesting seasons I can remember as a Spurs fan. Pop is going to have some interesting options to play with. Hopefully we'll come together as NBA Champs this season.

AFBlue
09-25-2009, 12:20 AM
I, for one, would love to see Jerrells with the Toros and eventually the Spurs. He overdribbles from time to time, but the guy is a flat out playmaker.

Spursfan 87
09-25-2009, 02:10 AM
i think that McClinton made a bad decision. If the spurs wanted him to play in europe it was because they had plans for him, and they did not want to renounce to his draft rights. Just look, next year all of our shooter are free agents.

Hell, ithe spurs were going to make him a favor, because in europe he can make more money right now than in the nba.

Manufan909
09-25-2009, 07:52 AM
You know on second thought that doesn't seem likely. If McClinton were still under contract with the Spurs it might have been announced today along with any other signings.

I am shocked nothing has been said about Gist.

I would put money on the Toros. It seems from the limited sample size of this past SL that he prob won't ever be an SF. Hopefully he can be a tweener in preseason, and Pop likes what he sees. I'm too tired to the math right, but I'm pretty sure that for him to make the team, he'd have to be picked over either Hairston or Williams. Or even both, I can't remember if there's one spot or two. Considering the set-in-stone rotation is (barring trades)

Tony/George
Mason/Manu/Bogans
Jefferson/Finley
Tim/Bonner/Haislip
Dyess/Blair/Ian/Theo

I don't see any combo forwards making it as of now. There doesn't even look to be enough space for Hairston or Williams to squeeze in. Don't get me wrong, that looks like a solid team, but more than three pairs of fresh legs would be nice. I know Blair and Hill will be part of the 10-man rotation to start, hope Ian horns in on Dyess' and Bonner's minutes to be there too. Fuck, eleven days til the Rockets game, the wait is killing me!!!:bang

The Truth #6
09-25-2009, 09:32 AM
If the Spurs decide to move on from Ian, either via trade or just not extending his contract in the next few months, then it's possible there's another roster spot, however I'm not sure Gist would be considered for it unless he shines and some of the other Spurs underachieve, as in Haislip specifically because they're both small, athletic power forwards.

Dr Cox
09-25-2009, 10:02 AM
bogans is a good sign...should bring some depth with experience

MaNu4Tres
09-25-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm willing to bet especially with the signing of Bogans that the Spurs will go into Training camp with 2 things on their mind.

1) Is Mahimni showing progress and ready to produce? Or does Dwayne Jones make him irrelevant? They need to know by October 31st whether or not to pick up Mahimni's option of 1.78 million for the 2010/ 2011 season as Mel 13 said earlier in the thread.

2) With the signing of Bogans I'm sure himself and Mason will have their battles during training camp. Due to the stacked SG/ SF position Spurs FO will find out if Bogans makes Mason really expendable. Given that Mason is do for less minutes and less shots because of the arrival of RJ and a healthy Manu, Spurs best bet to get great value back for Mason could be before the season starts. ( Just a thought)

If Spurs find out that they don't think Mahimni is worth the 1.78 million option and if they feel Bogans makes Mason expendable, then look for the Spurs to package Mason/Finley/ Mahimni type deal for an upgrade in our 3rd SG/SF spot ( Behind Manu and RJ) with someone very versatile on both ends of the floor that can easily play at least 25 MPG. This would make Keith Bogans our 4th wing and Malik Hairston/ George Hill/ Marcus Williams our 5th-7th wing options respectively.

If that happens Spurs could go with something like this going into the season:

Starters

PG- Tony Parker 34 MPG
SG- Manu Ginobili 28 MPG
SF- Richard Jefferson 33 MPG
PF- Antonio McDyess 26 MPG
C- Tim Duncan 32 MPG

Bench
SF/PF- Andres Nocioni 25 MPG * For example*
PF- DeJuan Blair 18 MPG
PG- George Hill 16 MPG
PF/ C- Matt Bonner 12 MPG
SG/SF- Keith Bogans 10 MPG
C- Theo Ratliff 8 MPG

Total 240 MPG (48 MPG at the PG position, 96 on the wings, 96 for the 4/5)

Total Minutes Allocated during the course of a game at all positions is 240 minutes.

12th man- 15th man( 13-14 spots inactive list)- SG/ SF-Malik Hairston SG/SF/PG-Marcus Williams PF-SF Marcus Haislip.

Then leave the 15th spot open.

jjktkk
09-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Listen, I'm not trying to over-dramatize this. Second round picks rarely turn into NBA players, and I've said in the past that McClinton needed some work on his all-around game to become an NBA player. However, he is still a heck of a shooter, and a guy the Spurs were high on heading into the draft. Now they've lost the rights to him without even getting to see what he can do in camp. No, it's not the end of the world, but there's nothing about the situation to be happy about; I can guarantee you the Spurs aren't happy about it either.

Your contradicting yourself. In your first post you said the Spurs wasted a draft pick on McClinton. Then in this post, you said 2nd rounds picks rarely turn into players. WTF. McClinton was a long shot to begin with. Not too many 6'0" shooting guards make in the NBA. Alot of people compared McClinton to Eddie House, but House has bounced around this league for several years before finding a home with Boston. Maybe McClinton makes it some day, but it will take a few years IMO.

jjktkk
09-25-2009, 06:42 PM

Basically you want a wing who is starting material as a reserve. Can't have all stars up and down the bench.

MaNu4Tres
09-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Basically you want a wing who is starting material as a reserve. Can't have all stars up and down the bench.

Read post 125

I have to respectfully disagree with you.

Steve-O-Matic
09-25-2009, 07:15 PM
I think McClinton's position is valid. I see no reason to stick around if you aren't going to make the team. It's a business.

Totally disagree. He wouldn't have been just competing to make the Spurs roster, he would have been competing to make any NBA team's roster. For guys like McClinton, training camp and the pre-season is an audition for a roster spot with the entire league, not just the team you're with. McClinton had a chance to prove that he belonged in this league by showing some resolve, tenacity and competitiveness (not to mention professionalism) and fighting for a spot...while getting some pretty damn good coaching and mentoring with an elite franchise along the way. Instead he showed that he's a quitter who lacks the heart, mental makeup and intestinal fortitude needed to survive (at least at this point). Now he's stuck without a team and in an even worse spot than before. Major mistake by McClinton who obviously got some bad advice from his old man.

SPURSGOAT
09-25-2009, 09:19 PM
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_college_hurricanes/2009/09/jack-mcclinton-in-a-familar-situation.html

Jack McClinton in a familar situation

Posted by Shandel Richardson on September 24, 2009 10:51 AM

When former UM guard Jack McClinton was drafted by the San Antonio Spurs, he called it a "great fit."

That once comforting feeling turned into a pair of jeans three sizes too small. With the Spurs recently signing veteran guard Keith Bogans, rookie Curtis Jerrells and center Dwayne Jones, the 6-foot-1 McClinton saw his chances of making the team go from slim to none. The Spurs have 18 players on the rosters, but will have to cut three before the season begins.

McClinton likely would have been among the departures. His father said the Spurs had interest in sending McClinton to Europe for a season.He instead requested the Spurs release him and will pursue free agency.

"They (the Spurs) kept making it more and more obvious," Jack McClinton Sr. said. "Signing Keith Bogans was basically the last straw. He thought he could go in and unseat those guys, but they continued to sign other guys."

McClinton expects to know something in a couple weeks, but finding a team won't be easy because it's so late in the process. Most teams have their rosters set for the veterans camp, which begin Monday.

McClinton Sr., said he wishes the move would have been made sooner, but knows his son will battle back. He's been in these situations throughout his career. He was lightly recruited out of high school and landed at Siena before transferring to UM, where he became a two-time All-ACC player.

The knock on McClinton now is he has no true position in the NBA.

"He's been down about it and discouraged, but it's the story of Jack's life," McClinton Sr. said. "One day he's going to write a book about it."

McClinton should have just went overseas to play for a year or two to get some good experience. Then he could come back to the NBA if he did well...would at least be earning a paycheck... :blah

lurker23
09-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Your contradicting yourself. In your first post you said the Spurs wasted a draft pick on McClinton. Then in this post, you said 2nd rounds picks rarely turn into players. WTF. McClinton was a long shot to begin with. Not too many 6'0" shooting guards make in the NBA. Alot of people compared McClinton to Eddie House, but House has bounced around this league for several years before finding a home with Boston. Maybe McClinton makes it some day, but it will take a few years IMO.

A few people have seemingly called me out on this, so let me clarify. When I said, "what a waste of a draft pick," I wasn't blaming the Spurs at all. The Spurs found a player they liked who can shoot lights out and they used a very low draft pick on him. When that player requested to be released, they did the classy thing and did as he asked. The Spurs started by making a savvy basketball move and ended by making a classy move that recognized that players are people. My hats off to them.

However, when I said "what a waste of a draft pick," I meant that the process after the pick of said player couldn't have gone any worse. Usually there's the following options with a second round draft pick:

1) Draft and stash overseas, with a slim chance of future success
2) Sign the player for camp, see what he can do on the court, and if he doesn't beat out the other guys on the roster, let him go
3) The player makes the team and plays for your franchise for 0.1 to 25 years

What happened with Jack McClinton was arguably worse than any of the 3 typical options. Not only did they lose his rights, they never got a chance to see his potential in camp. By the definition of the word, the pick was wasted. Draft picks, even 2nd round picks, are assets, and in this case that asset was lost with absolutely zero return. I wasn't using 20/20 hindsight to blame this lost asset on the Spurs, McClinton, or anyone else; I was simply expressing my frustration at the worst case scenario.

coyotes_geek
09-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Totally disagree. He wouldn't have been just competing to make the Spurs roster, he would have been competing to make any NBA team's roster. For guys like McClinton, training camp and the pre-season is an audition for a roster spot with the entire league, not just the team you're with. McClinton had a chance to prove that he belonged in this league by showing some resolve, tenacity and competitiveness (not to mention professionalism) and fighting for a spot...while getting some pretty damn good coaching and mentoring with an elite franchise along the way. Instead he showed that he's a quitter who lacks the heart, mental makeup and intestinal fortitude needed to survive (at least at this point). Now he's stuck without a team and in an even worse spot than before. Major mistake by McClinton who obviously got some bad advice from his old man.

Come on. He's not a quitter. He wants to be in the NBA this year and there was a 0% chance of that happening in San Antonio. Yeah, training camp is an audition for the entire league, but if you're trying to get into the league you're still much better off having that audition with a team who has roster spots available. If you only had one interview would you rather it be with the guy who has a job to offer, or someone who doesn't have a job to offer whom you have to hope is willing to pick up the phone to tell someone else that you interviewed well?

I get why as a Spurs fan you're bitter because the Spurs no longer hold any rights to the guy, but if you're McClinton you haven't done anything to hurt your NBA chances. Honestly, what's the worst case scenario for him here? He finds out that no NBA team is willing to give him a roster spot and he ends up in the NBDL with the Austin Toros because they get first dibs on him. In other words, exactly where most Spurs fans wanted him to be in the first place. He's back in the Spurs system, only as a free agent who's able to negotiate with 30 teams instead of 1. Not all that bad a spot to be in if you're him.

McClinton should have just went overseas to play for a year or two to get some good experience. Then he could come back to the NBA if he did well...would at least be earning a paycheck... :blah

Europe isn't going anywhere. If he doesn't find a spot on an NBA team within the next month he can still go overseas and get that experience.

Steve-O-Matic
09-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Come on. He's not a quitter. He wants to be in the NBA this year and there was a 0% chance of that happening in San Antonio. Yeah, training camp is an audition for the entire league, but if you're trying to get into the league you're still much better off having that audition with a team who has roster spots available. If you only had one interview would you rather it be with the guy who has a job to offer, or someone who doesn't have a job to offer whom you have to hope is willing to pick up the phone to tell someone else that you interviewed well?

I get why as a Spurs fan you're bitter because the Spurs no longer hold any rights to the guy, but if you're McClinton you haven't done anything to hurt your NBA chances. Honestly, what's the worst case scenario for him here? He finds out that no NBA team is willing to give him a roster spot and he ends up in the NBDL with the Austin Toros because they get first dibs on him. In other words, exactly where most Spurs fans wanted him to be in the first place. He's back in the Spurs system, only as a free agent who's able to negotiate with 30 teams instead of 1. Not all that bad a spot to be in if you're him.

First of all, I'm not bitter because the Spurs no longer hold any rights to McClinton, nor am I bitter for any reason. I didn't think much of the pick on draft night and I certainly don't think much of it now, so I'm not the least bit upset that McClinton is no longer Spurs property. Secondly, he is indeed a quitter. He didn't even make an attempt to compete for a spot or show his wares by asking to be released before camp even began. Anything could have happened - Ginobili could have gotten injured again, Hairston could have stunk up the joint, etc., etc. Instead, McClinton pissed away a training camp spot (with no guarantee that he'll get another one with another team) with a franchise that the rest of the NBA is always monitoring while simultaneously branding himself a heartless quitter with an exteremely questionable competitive streak. NBA GM's aren't going to be burning up the phone lines to get their hands on a character like that, let alone one who already had enough to prove on the court due to his physical and basketball limitations. This was his one sure chance and he didn't even make an attempt. To say that he "(hasn't) done anything to hurt (his) NBA chances" is patently absurd.

coyotes_geek
09-25-2009, 11:27 PM
First of all, I'm not bitter because the Spurs no longer hold any rights to McClinton, nor am I bitter for any reason. I didn't think much of the pick on draft night and I certainly don't think much of it now, so I'm not the least bit upset that McClinton is no longer Spurs property. Secondly, he is indeed a quitter. He didn't even make an attempt to compete for a spot or show his wares by asking to be released before camp even began. Anything could have happened - Ginobili could have gotten injured again, Hairston could have stunk up the joint, etc., etc. Instead, McClinton pissed away a training camp spot (with no guarantee that he'll get another one with another team) with a franchise that the rest of the NBA is always monitoring while simultaneously branding himself a heartless quitter with an exteremely questionable competitive streak. NBA GM's aren't going to be burning up the phone lines to get their hands on a character like that, let alone one who already had enough to prove on the court due to his physical and basketball limitations. This was his one sure chance and he didn't even make an attempt. To say that he "(hasn't) done anything to hurt (his) NBA chances" is patently absurd.

What's absurd is you thinking that NBA GM's are going to hold it against a player for doing what he thought was best for his career. If a GM out there thinks McClinton can play he'll pick him up and won't think twice about what happened between McClinton and the Spurs.

Sure, there's no guarantee that McClinton will get a training camp invite. So what does McClinton do if that happens? He goes to europe or the nbdl. Same two options he had when the Spurs held his rights. He wasn't going to be a Spur this year no matter what. McClinton would have gone to training camp as eighth best shooting guard on the roster after Manu, Mason, Hill, Finley, Bogans, Hairston and Williams. When you're #8 on the depth chart and you can't play any other position, you're not making the squad no matter who gets hurt ahead of you.

Steve-O-Matic
09-25-2009, 11:44 PM
It's not about making the squad you're with, because when you're a player like McClinton the team you go to camp with is more or less irrelevant - you're playing for a spot in the league itself as much as you are for a spot on that particular team. It's about seizing the opportunity no matter the odds, competing, demonstrating your skills and proving that you belong in the league so that - in the event you do get cut - another team will have seen enough of what you've done to want to add you to their squad. But apparently even that was too much to ask of McClinton and there are plenty of GM's who will most definitely hold that against him. They want competitors, not quitters. Any GM who WOULD want McClinton now is asking for a loser. If McClinton thinks quitting on the team that just drafted him before the first practice is going to help his chances of making it in the NBA he's in for a rude awakening....which is already underway as he waits for the phone to ring.

Blackjack
09-25-2009, 11:48 PM
First of all, I'm not bitter because the Spurs no longer hold any rights to McClinton, nor am I bitter for any reason. I didn't think much of the pick on draft night and I certainly don't think much of it now, so I'm not the least bit upset that McClinton is no longer Spurs property. Secondly, he is indeed a quitter. He didn't even make an attempt to compete for a spot or show his wares by asking to be released before camp even began. Anything could have happened - Ginobili could have gotten injured again, Hairston could have stunk up the joint, etc., etc. Instead, McClinton pissed away a training camp spot with a team that the rest of the NBA is always monitoring while simultaneously branding himself a heartless quitter with an exteremely questionable competitive streak. To say that he "(hasn't) done anything to hurt (his) NBA chances" is patently absurd.

Except you're dismissing the very likely scenario that the Spurs laid out a very blunt and honest assessment of Jack's ability to make the team.

If you've followed the Spurs closely over the years and how they deal with players, especially those trying to break into the league, they do what's right by the player and give them all the help and info needed to make the most out of their opportunity.

All indications were that Jack was ecstatic to be a Spur and was eager to prove he belonged, so what was more likely given past history: a.) The Spurs, knowing they hadn't the room for Jack on the roster, informed him that if he wanted to play in the NBA this year he was going to have to do it elsewhere, and they'd grant him his release if that's really what he wished; or b.) Jack, a guy who's never had anything given to him when it comes to basketball, decided he'd much rather quit on the Spurs and go elsewhere than compete for a job.

The Spurs drafted Jack because they were high on him; he wasn't just some throw-away pick. But because they had a roster in flux and one with significant change, Jack's status with the Spurs took a hit.

My guess is that they drafted him with hopes of him making the roster, but more realistically just wanted him to be a part of the program. Their ideal scenario was to have him go overseas for a year, have him work on his game and then reassess his place on the team the following year when they would still hold his rights.

When Jack made his intentions clear that he wanted to be tendered the offer and play in the NBA instead of go overseas, he was in fact stating that he would stay and compete for the job, even against some stacked odds; odds that only became worse later on with the addition of Bogans.

Not an extremely smart move in hindsight, but definitely not one of a quitter.

When the writing was on the wall and Jack's fate with the Spurs was sealed, at least as it pertains to the Spurs holding his rights, I'm sure they sat down with Jack and again made him aware of the situation.

He was going to have to be cut, there wasn't a great opportunity for him to showcase his self during their TC for another team, and he was going to have to go elsewhere if he wanted to play this upcoming year in the NBA.

Of course, the Spurs being the Spurs, they sat him down and told him this prior to TC. They knew for him to have even the slightest shot of latching on with another team, a release prior to camp was the best thing they could do for Jack.

So, yeah, Jack asked for his release. But I don't think it's much of a stretch to assume the scenario I suggest and that his decision was made in conjunction with the Spurs, and not in spite of.

Jack believes in himself and his ability to play in the NBA, so he's doing everything possible to secure his spot.

He's not quitting on the Spurs, he's pursuing a dream that can't be realized on the Spurs; at least not this year.

And if he strikes out with all the other teams, he'll have a spot waiting for him with the Toros; something I selfishly hope to see.

Steve-O-Matic
09-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Oh spare me the "pursuing his dream" bullshit. If he was truly pursuing his dream he would have relished the opportunity to compete and prove himself to the league. Instead he threw in the towel and now he's at home, without a team or a stage, Tweeting about how nothing is gonna stop him (except for himself, I suppose). He's a quitter in my book.

ss1986v2
09-26-2009, 12:02 AM
Oh spare me the "pursuing his dream" bullshit. If he was truly pursuing his dream he would have relished the opportunity to compete and prove himself to the league. Instead he threw in the towel and now he's at home, without a team or a stage, Tweeting about how nothing is gonna stop him (except for himself, I suppose). He's a quitter in my book.

so if he gets a camp invite tomorrow from someone, that would invalidate everything you have said, no?

MaNu4Tres
09-26-2009, 12:12 AM
McClinton quit on the Spurs. McClinton's father might have persuaded him into asking to get released because they both might have thought he wouldn't have had the opportunity to showcase his skills in pre-season games due to our over hauled talented roster. Problem with that is, it's going to be like that for him anywhere. He didn't do himself any better from quitting. And yes he did quit. He had an invite and obviously felt threatened by the Spurs' competition come training camp. He will be in Europe or the D-League.

Blackjack
09-26-2009, 12:14 AM

And these rants of yours have provided a whole bunch of fail, in my book.

When it comes to this topic, I'd suggest you do what what you'd like to assume Jack did..

Quit.

coyotes_geek
09-26-2009, 12:20 AM
It's not about making the squad you're with, because when you're a player like McClinton the team you go to camp with is more or less irrelevant - you're playing for a spot in the league itself as much as you are for a spot on that particular team. It's about seizing the opportunity no matter the odds, competing, demonstrating your skills and proving that you belong in the league so that - in the event you do get cut - another team will have seen enough of what you've done to want to add you to their squad. But apparently even that was too much to ask of McClinton and there are plenty of GM's who will most definitely hold that against him. They want competitors, not quitters. Any GM who WOULD want McClinton now is asking for a loser. If McClinton thinks quitting on the team that just drafted him before the first practice is going to help his chances of making it in the NBA he's in for a rude awakening....which is already underway as he waits for the phone to ring.

Come on dude, this isn't that difficult. McClinton can go to another team's camp and compete just as hard as he could have in San Antonio. In San Antonio, he'd be competing for a team that is guaranteed to cut him no matter how well he played. At some other team's camp, that might not be the case. Even if that phone never rings, he still ends up in the NBDL as a Toro in the exact same spot he'd have ended up had he stayed with San Antonio. He's got no downside here.

coyotes_geek
09-26-2009, 12:27 AM
McClinton quit on the Spurs. McClinton's father might have persuaded him into asking to get released because they both might have thought he wouldn't have had the opportunity to showcase his skills in pre-season games due to our over hauled talented roster. Problem with that is, it's going to be like that for him anywhere. He didn't do himself any better from quitting. And yes he did quit. He had an invite and obviously felt threatened by the Spurs' competition come training camp. He will be in Europe or the D-League.

So if he ends up in europe or the d-league what did he lose by doing this? Nothing. If anything, he came out slightly ahead because now there's 30 teams who can make him an NBA player instead of just one.

Ultimately, two months from now McClinton is probably a Toro.

Blackjack
09-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Except you're dismissing the very likely scenario that the Spurs laid out a very blunt and honest assessment of Jack's ability to make the team.

If you've followed the Spurs closely over the years and how they deal with players, especially those trying to break into the league, they do what's right by the player and give them all the help and info needed to make the most out of their opportunity.

So, yeah, Jack asked for his release. But I don't think it's much of a stretch to assume the scenario I suggest and that his decision was made in conjunction with the Spurs, and not in spite of.

48MoH - A source close to the Spurs confirmed McClinton’s account of the release, telling me that management... (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/09/26/jack-mcclinton-as-beno-udrih/)

Go figure..

DPG21920
09-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Some interesting comments made by management about "roster locks".

TIMMYD!
09-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Trade!Trade!Trade!

EricB
09-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Looks like McClinton is in Minnesota.

Gonna give it a shot in Minny.

He most likely will stick there.

coyotes_geek
09-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Sure didn't take McClinton long to find a landing spot. A pretty good one for a guy in his situation too. Minny definitely has some roster spots available and plenty of PT to devote to young guys.

mountainballer
09-28-2009, 03:45 AM
reportedly the Wolves are negotiating a buy out with Daniels and also try to move/buy out Wilkins. if this happens, McClinton should have a good chance to make the roster. Sessions, Flynn, Brewer are pretty average to bad shooters, so a shooting specialist does have a niche there. (if McClinton finds his stroke in the camp)

coyotes_geek
09-28-2009, 11:18 AM
reportedly the Wolves are negotiating a buy out with Daniels and also try to move/buy out Wilkins. if this happens, McClinton should have a good chance to make the roster. Sessions, Flynn, Brewer are pretty average to bad shooters, so a shooting specialist does have a niche there. (if McClinton finds his stroke in the camp)

You're describing the role Fred Hoiberg used to fill for the twolves. Now Hoiberg is Minny's VP of basketball operations. I wouldn't be surprised if Hoiberg is looking at McClinton and seeing a little bit of himself.

mountainballer
09-28-2009, 11:27 AM
You're describing the role Fred Hoiberg used to fill for the twolves. Now Hoiberg is Minny's VP of basketball operations. I wouldn't be surprised if Hoiberg is looking at McClinton and seeing a little bit of himself.

good point.