PDA

View Full Version : Fit and pain-free at last, J.J. Hickson enters second season bidding for major role

Thunder Dan
09-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Fit and pain-free at last, J.J. Hickson enters second season bidding for major role with Cleveland Cavaliers

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio -- Last winter, when J.J. Hickson's lower back started hurting, hampering his ability to play, the Cavaliers' young big man's first instinct was to keep his mouth shut.

At 20 and gifted with excellent size, quickness and spring-loaded legs, he had never really been hurt before. He didn't need to wrap himself in ice after games like his older teammates. He could run and jump all day, go to bed and do it again the next day. He didn't exactly to know what to do.

So for a while, a couple weeks in fact, Hickson bore it silently even as his head coach would scream at him about making mistakes and even as his playing time dwindled. When he did finally speak up, the next thing he knew he was getting rolled into an MRI machine and the 'team doctor was explained a complicated diagnosis with a treatment plan that is hard for an itching NBA rookie to hear.

Shut it down. Complete and total rest for weeks. No basketball activities.

"When it started giving me problems I didn't say anything, not because I was scared but more because I thought it was just a tweak and it would go away," Hickson said after completing a workout Wednesday at the Cleveland Clinic Courts, one of his final ones before the Cavs kick off training camp next Monday.

"I'm not saying I took things for granted, but I was always just expected to have my athleticism and when my back started hurting it was tough to not be able to run and jump. It was hard for me."

The tests showed Hickson had a stress reaction, which actually in the grand scheme was good news. It means the injury was caught before it caused significant damage. He would not need surgery, but he could not play for weeks. As it was early April, his rookie season was effectively over.

The injury ended up lingering. When Hickson had a few setbacks in his recovery, which is normal, he was held out of summer league in July. The flip side, Hickson says, is he is now 100 percent and has been playing 5-on-5 and doing workouts for most of the last two months leading into training camp.

"It's not giving me problems anymore, I feel really good," Hickson said. "I'm at the point where I am confident I'll be able to surpass what I did last year."

Last season, Hickson averaged four points and 2.7 rebounds in 62 games. The talented power forward had his low moments that some fans will remember, notably forgetting to box out Lamar Odom twice in a home loss to the Los Angeles Lakers. But he also had a couple of games that affirmed the Cavs' belief that he's going to be a significant part of the future, including a 13-point, seven-rebound game against the Magic in Orlando, an 11-point, four-rebound game against the Lakers in Los Angeles and a 10-point, five-rebound effort at Golden State.

Those were all high-pressure situations on the road and among the reasons the team left a rotation spot for him to win. Shaquille O'Neal, Anderson Varejao and Zydrunas Ilgauskas will get their minutes, but with Leon Powe out with knee surgery the Cavs have minutes available if Hickson wins them.

He has his fans, especially LeBron James, who worked out with Hickson throughout the summer -- including some two-a-days. That and a healthy back is giving Hickson confidence as he prepares to start his sophomore training camp.

"To be with Bron working out and to see the high expectations he has of me is a real confidence builder," Hickson said. "Last year I felt like I was playing on pins and needles but this year I'm already feeling a lot more comfortable and my game is developing more."

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/09/fit_and_pain-free_at_last_jj_h.html

Unholy Turkey
09-23-2009, 07:45 PM
DYNASTY.:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2: :lobt2:

DPG21920
09-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Thunder Dan; the new Tlong

Kobe™
09-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Better hope he can provide - because ATM I see him as your only big who potentially can defend PnR adequately. Shaq and Z will get torn up.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-23-2009, 08:32 PM

At least Tlong knows what a book sale looks like.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-23-2009, 08:45 PM
We need more Wally Szczerbiak threads.

bostonguy
09-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Karl Malone 2.0

JJ Hickson
09-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Karl Malone 2.0

I'm basically a more athletic version of the Mailman.

bostonguy
09-23-2009, 09:13 PM

I can't wait to see what you have in store for us basketball fans this season

Unholy Turkey
09-23-2009, 09:14 PM
We need more Wally Szczerbiak threads.

See Denver 09-10. :lol

Goran Dragic
09-23-2009, 09:27 PM

I'm a more athletic version of Stockton. The NBA is lucky we're not on the same team.

iggypop123
09-23-2009, 09:54 PM

JamStone
09-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Tim Duncan is just keeping the title of "best power forward in the history of the league" warm for JJ.

Let the dominance begin.

eisfeld
09-24-2009, 12:48 AM

http://justin-hopkins.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/mailman.jpg

KidCongo
09-24-2009, 06:48 AM
JJ working out with LeBron is promising, the whole organisation is behind him 100% so he better prove he can play with the big boys.

Kobe, Varejao easily the best defensive big on Cleveland and is capable in the PnR with his footspeed and smarts. JJ has the athleticism on his side but his head wasn't there last season. It's a big training camp for him.

Chieflion
09-24-2009, 06:53 AM
No rings for you then.

Muser
09-24-2009, 06:55 AM
No rings for you then.

:lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Better hope he can provide - because ATM I see him as your only big who potentially can defend PnR adequately. Shaq and Z will get torn up.

If it were any user name but Kobe I would think that "ATM" means at the moment, but I just can't be sure with this guy.

Thunder Dan
09-24-2009, 09:09 AM
at this point I just feel sorry for the rest of the NBA. We have 2 of the most talented, athletic, basketball specimens to ever enter the league.

JamStone
09-24-2009, 09:26 AM
And you guys have LeBron too. He's semi athletic and somewhat talented as well.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-24-2009, 09:28 AM
at this point I just feel sorry for the rest of the NBA. We have 2 of the most talented, athletic, basketball specimens to ever enter the league.

JJ Hickson and Jamario Moon?

Thunder Dan
09-24-2009, 09:52 AM
JJ Hickson and Jamario Moon?

Moon probably won't see much of the floor this year. Too much Hickson and too much Lebron

Thunder Dan
09-24-2009, 09:53 AM

You are like International Next Day Air Guaranteed, while Karl Malone is 8-10 Business Days with no confirmation and insurance

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Moon probably won't see much of the floor this year. Too much Hickson and too much Lebron

Neat.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-24-2009, 09:59 AM
You are like International Next Day Air Guaranteed, while Karl Malone is 8-10 Business Days with no confirmation and insurance

:lmao

JamStone
09-24-2009, 10:02 AM
I wonder if he can impregnate 13 year olds or hunt little Mexican girls better than Karl too.