PDA

View Full Version : Pau or Manu?

romain.star
09-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Over the last decade, who is according to you the most accomplished international player?

Pau résumé:

1 NBA title (09, Lakers)

1 ABC Liga title (01, Barcelona)

1 Gold medal at the FIBA World Championship (06)
1 Silver medal at the 08 Olympic Games
1 Gold medal at the FIBA Euro (09)
2 Silver medal at the FIBA Euro (03, 07)
1 Bronze medal at the FIBA Euro (01)
-------------------------------------------------------------
2 times NBA Allstar (06, 09)
NBA Rookie of the year (02)
MVP of the FIBA World Championship (06)
MVP of the FIBA Euro (09)

Manu résumé:

3 NBA titles (03,05,07, Spurs)

1 Euroleague title (01, Bologna)
1 Serie A title (01, Bologna)

1 Gold medal at the 04 Olympic Games
1 Bronze medal at the 08 Olympic Games
1 Silver medal at the World Championship (02)
-------------------------------------------------------------
1 time NBA Allstar (05)
MVP of the 04 Olympic Games
MVP of the Euroleague (01)
NBA 6th man of the year (08)

MmP
09-24-2009, 08:18 AM
Manu, cause he has blood in his vains :lol

ElNono
09-24-2009, 08:38 AM
If we're going solely on titles, I think you missed quite some on both sides...

romain.star
09-24-2009, 08:52 AM
If we're going solely on titles, I think you missed quite some on both sides...

Copa del Re? Italian Cup? Under 19 World Championship?

The list would have been too long so I've just listed the main ones

ego
09-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Manu, cause he has blood in his vains :lol

Pau was very impressive at the european champion European Championship.
I think Manu is a very good player and I prefer to see Manu on a ground but actually Pau is more efficient. It will be very difficult to beat the Lakers if Pau keep on playing like that

Darthkiller
09-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Manu, he singlehandedly carried Argentina to gold medal at the olympic(named MVP of the olympic games), spain has never beat USA while Manu beat USA twice.

SpurCharger
09-24-2009, 09:48 AM
As Long As Manu Is Healthy And playing At The Top of his Game, He Is Almost As Good as anyone. He Even Outplays Kobe AT TIMES During Games.

romain.star
09-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Manu, he singlehandedly carried Argentina to gold medal at the olympic(named MVP of the olympic games), spain has never beat USA while Manu beat USA twice.

Sorry but 2002, 04 Team USA <<< 2008 Team USA

leo_d
09-24-2009, 10:04 AM
04 Team USA defeat Spain in the olympics and Argentina defeat that team.

But Spain did defeat USA in 2002 fiba World Championship

leo_d
09-24-2009, 10:07 AM
What would be interesting is if you prefer manu or pau in the spurs.

I think a combo Gasol Duncan would be awsome

hater
09-24-2009, 10:08 AM
both winners. But come back when Pau carries his team through at least an entire playoff series on way to the championship.

but they are very close. Pau is smarter than even Manu. Dude is sharp. Could easily be a GM in the future.

Muser
09-24-2009, 10:25 AM
If we're talking accomplishments then Manu hands down, right now Pau.

c@t
09-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Pau or Manu? Both combined are not equivalent to what Dirk's achieved through last decade. The MVP trophy doesn't seem to be something that will come to either Manu or Pau, while Dirk can easily coattail a ring if he wants just like Gary Payton did in 06.

c@t
09-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Dirk is the best all-round big man since Larry Bird retired, btw.

diego
09-24-2009, 10:41 AM
in 02 WC argentina got robbed of the gold.

in 06 WC Spain was lucky a nocioni three went in and out at the end.

Argentina doesnt take the FIBA americas tourney as serious as spain does the euro. It just isnt as prestigious a tournament and a lot of Gasol's titles come from there. I cant even remember the last time manu played the FIBA america (03?)

also, I'd argue Spain is deeper than Argentina.

head to head, gasol will always have the 7ft advantage. a player that size with those skills will almost always be more valuable than a 6'6 guard.

Muser
09-24-2009, 10:41 AM
The thread has nothing to do with Dirk.

mookie2001
09-24-2009, 10:42 AM
this thread sucks

sonic21
09-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Manu.

JamStone
09-24-2009, 11:17 AM
More accomplished player would be Manu, and I think convincingly.

The better player right now is a tougher question to answer.

romain.star
09-24-2009, 11:25 AM
More accomplished player would be Manu, and I think convincingly.

The better player right now is a tougher question to answer.

Right now? to me, it's a no brainer !

Right now, Pau is the 2nd best player of the NBA champ, he is Euro Champ and Euro MVP

plus the last time I saw the REAL Manu on the floor, Garnett was still ringless

sonic21
09-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Right now? to me, it's a no brainer !

Right now, Pau is the 2nd best player of the NBA champ, he is Euro Champ and Euro MVP

plus the last time I saw the REAL Manu on the floor, Garnett was still ringless

but we don't know for sure. If he starts playing like October-December 2007 (last time he was 100%), then he's still better.

nkdlunch
09-24-2009, 11:36 AM
but we don't know for sure. If he starts playing like October-December 2007 (last time he was 100%), then he's still better.

agree. it's not a "nobrainer" cause we don't know how manu is gonna come back

JamStone
09-24-2009, 11:37 AM
I would agree that Pau Gasol is a better player than an injured Manu Ginobili.

My comment that it's a tough question to answer as to which is the better player now was predicated on Manu being healthy. And, even then, I didn't say it wouldn't be Gasol. I said it would be tough to answer.

DxB
09-24-2009, 11:46 AM
The "most accomplished" intl player as you put it, is Manu. There's really nothing to debate here. Its a fact.

But the best int'l player (although it pains me to admit it) is probably Fag Nowitzki.

romain.star
09-24-2009, 11:47 AM
I would agree that Pau Gasol is a better player than an injured Manu Ginobili.

My comment that it's a tough question to answer as to which is the better player now was predicated on Manu being healthy. And, even then, I didn't say it wouldn't be Gasol. I said it would be tough to answer.

My bad then... it would be tough to answer indeed

romain.star
09-24-2009, 11:50 AM
The "most accomplished" intl player as you put it, is Manu. There's really nothing to debate here. Its a fact.

But the best int'l player (although it pains me to admit it) is probably Fag Nowitzki.

when you look at their résumé, i don't think there's nothing to debate

as for the best international player, Dirk is clearly N°1; Pau, Manu, Yao and Tony being tied for N°2

nkdlunch
09-24-2009, 11:53 AM

as for the best international player, Dirk is clearly N°1; Pau, Manu, Yao and Tony being tied for N°2

the olympic championship + 3 NBA championships alone put Manu ahead of Pau if counting accomplishments.

TMTTRIO
09-24-2009, 12:10 PM

Well if you're talking about international players in the NBA THEN Manu's one step below those other players when it comes to accomplishments in the NBA but if your talking overall accomplisments then yes he should be up there.

it's me
09-24-2009, 12:10 PM

lol @ Tony #2

TwoHandJam
09-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Pau is a skilled player but I can never forget the fact that he couldn't even win a single playoff game (never mind a series) for years in the NBA until he was paired with Kobe. He just doesn't have the ability to lead a team to victory like Manu does.

SenorSpur
09-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Manu - and it's not even close.

lefty
09-24-2009, 12:16 PM
This thread is retarded...

Manu, of course.

phxspurfan
09-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Pau is a skilled player but I can never forget the fact that he couldn't even win a single playoff game (never mind a series) for years in the NBA until he was paired with Kobe. He just doesn't have the ability to lead a team to victory like Manu does.

Swap Pau for Manu on the 02-05 Grizz and they don't make the playoffs.

That being said, Manu because he is a better fit for Los Espurs.

IronMexican
09-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Pau about a million times over. You almost always take the big.

HarlemHeat37
09-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Manu for accomplishments, but Gasol is clearly better right now..

silverblackfan
09-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Personally, I pick Manu for what he has done up to now. If both are healthy this year, I still think Manu is more deadly, clutch, smart, craft, etc... That being said, Gasol has become one hell of a big man and with the Lakers could continue to climb in the standings vs Manu.
Should be an interesting year.

09-24-2009, 03:17 PM
manu has done more but i would take pau gasol over ginobili no questions asked right now.

TIMMYD!
09-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Manu, Luck The Fakers

TIMMYD!
09-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Personally, I pick Manu for what he has done up to now. If both are healthy this year, I still think Manu is more deadly, clutch, smart, craft, etc... That being said, Gasol has become one hell of a big man and with the Lakers could continue to climb in the standings vs Manu.
Should be an interesting year.

If he was as good as other big men, he would have done more with the Grizzlies.

temujin
09-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Pau is not even the best of the Gasolios.

Ginobili should be put in different sentence, please.

kace
09-24-2009, 04:45 PM
What would be interesting is if you prefer manu or pau in the spurs.

I think a combo Gasol Duncan would be awsome

i prefer manu. but we would be better with Pau, that's for sure. but it's not really a fair comparison since great big men are way much rare, and so valuable, than guards.

JamStone
09-24-2009, 04:53 PM
If he was as good as other big men, he would have done more with the Grizzlies.

Overly harsh and unwarranted criticism.

Drafted by a really shitty team, he stepped in as a 21 year old international player and played 37 minutes and put up 18 ppg and 9 rpg as a rookie. In their 14 year history, the Grizzlies have had only 3 winning seasons and 3 seasons they made the playoffs, all with Pau Gasol as their best player, starting in his third season in the NBA. With Pau Gasol not on the Grizzlies roster, in their entire history, their next best season was last year when they went 24-58 for a .293 winning percentage.

I know there are some people that love to downgrade players they hate, try to bash them or make them appear like they're not as good as they really are. But, any criticism of Pau Gasol based on what he couldn't help the Grizzlies do when he was there is really short-sighted and lacks a real understanding of what he actually did do for that organization when he was there.

JamStone
09-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Pau about a million times over. You almost always take the big.

Insightful use of the word "almost" lest you get blasted with a Kobe v. Duncan argument.

Muser
09-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Pau is not even the best of the Gasolios.

Yeah, because Marc puts up much bigger numbers than his brother...

Spursfan 87
09-24-2009, 05:23 PM
manu hands down

lotr1trekkie
09-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Dirk is a loser like the Mavs team. He's a 7' AI. Great numbers but he doesn't make his team better because he doesn't play D, his passing is mediocre, he can't rebound and I would always want Manu taking the LAST shot over Dirt. actually, TP may be the best foreign player on the planet. Pau is nothing without KOBE!

Muser
09-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Dirk is a 7 foot AI? Now i've heard it all.

Rummpd
09-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Dirk is the best all-round big man since Larry Bird retired, btw.

Best around choke artist who does not play a bit of defense, weak rebounder for size, cannot block shots, and not in Shaq's or Duncan's league with an assist pass - what a friggin joke of a comment!

Rummpd
09-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Insightful use of the word "almost" lest you get blasted with a Kobe v. Duncan argument.

I would always take a healthy Duncan over Kobe anytime to start a team - Duncan's teams have the highest winning percentage ever. Kobe has one title as the dominant player on his team vs. 4 by Duncan.

bbarry
09-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Assuming both players are healthy, I would take Manu easily. Otherwise Pau, quite easily.

Pero
09-24-2009, 06:54 PM

Drafted by a really shitty team, he stepped in as a 21 year old international player and played 37 minutes and put up 18 ppg and 9 rpg as a rookie. In their 14 year history, the Grizzlies have had only 3 winning seasons and 3 seasons they made the playoffs, all with Pau Gasol as their best player, starting in his third season in the NBA. With Pau Gasol not on the Grizzlies roster, in their entire history, their next best season was last year when they went 24-58 for a .293 winning percentage.

I know there are some people that love to downgrade players they hate, try to bash them or make them appear like they're not as good as they really are. But, any criticism of Pau Gasol based on what he couldn't help the Grizzlies do when he was there is really short-sighted and lacks a real understanding of what he actually did do for that organization when he was there.

:tu

ElNono
09-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Copa del Re? Italian Cup? Under 19 World Championship?

The list would have been too long so I've just listed the main ones

Well, I think that if you list Pau's Euro Championship accomplishments, which Manu cannot compete in, since he's not european, at the very least you should have added Manu's FIBA Americas accomplishments, a tournament Pau can't play in.

howbouthemspurs
09-24-2009, 07:33 PM
this is a stupid thread

ElNono
09-24-2009, 07:35 PM

Pau Gasol the franchise player was a complete stinker no matter how you look at it. You conveniently skip over his first two season where he put up great numbers but his team kept on failing miserably as they historically have. Once they hired a good coach and put up a moderately good surrounding cast, they flamed out in the first round of the playoff pretty consistently. I actually have to look it up, but I'm pretty sure Gasol never won a single playoff game playing for the Grizzlies.

Let me say I don't personally hate Pau. I actually think that the Grizzlies shutting down the franchise player experiment was probably the best that could ever happen to him. He absolutely excels in the second banana role.
It's undeniable he's a very talented player, but he has his flaws, just like Manu and any other basketball player.

DAF86
09-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Does somebody want to hear my opinion?

Manudona
09-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Does somebody want to hear my opinion?

Not really, as no matter what you write I always find myself scrolling down past the text to the images....

ezau
09-25-2009, 01:24 AM
Manu has accomplished way more than Pau in the international stage. Let us remember that Manu when healthy can rip apart the best teams that the world can offer and that includes the USA team. Right now however, Pau is busier and he has improved by leaps and bounds. The only flak about him is that he hasn't won a playoff game when he was playing for the Grizzlies. Off topic: do you think Pau has enough gas in his tank to last the entire season? I mean since 2008, the man hasn't had a decent rest. After playing against Boston, he went straight to the Olympics and then went deep in the playoffs this year. That didn't end there because he still had to compete in the Euroleague this year. I guess that's one thing that every Laker fan should worry about. Sooner or later, that flame is going to die out.

romain.star
09-25-2009, 02:25 AM
Well, I think that if you list Pau's Euro Championship accomplishments, which Manu cannot compete in, since he's not european, at the very least you should have added Manu's FIBA Americas accomplishments, a tournament Pau can't play in.

I get you point but since Europe is loaded with competitive NTs (unlike Americas), the comparison between the 2 competitions seems irrelevent to me

ElNono
09-25-2009, 07:54 AM
I get you point but since Europe is loaded with competitive NTs (unlike Americas), the comparison between the 2 competitions seems irrelevent to me

You're the the one that selected that retarded comparison criteria, not me.

leo_d
09-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Gasol still has to defeat a Dream Team in a eliminatory game and win two more NBA rings to be as accomplished as Manu.

That beeing said, is incredible how much impact Gasol has when is on the court. I don`t think many teams would prefer to have Manu over Gasol these days.

romain.star
09-25-2009, 09:02 AM
You're the the one that selected that retarded comparison criteria, not me.

Did I ?

i did not selected Manu's FIBA Americas acheivements for that exact reason

DaBears
09-25-2009, 10:48 AM
With current roster I'd take Pau over Manu since Pau would address a much needed FC player next to timmy....

anonoftheinternets
09-25-2009, 11:33 AM
kobe pau, duncan manu. Its been a while since the pairs have been healthy. Lets wait and decide after this season.

diego
09-25-2009, 11:58 AM

no argument about fiba euro > fiba america. there are more teams with a higher average quality level across the board.

but to say europe is loaded with competitive NT is a little misleading. in the 2000's, the olmypics were won by americas teams, and though the WCs were won by europe teams the 02 was clearly stolen from an americas team. In reality 3/4 major tournaments were won by americas teams, but even if you dont believe 02 was stolen, the only teams from europe you can consider competitive with the best from the americas are spain, yugoslavia (which no longer exists), and MAYBE greece. or do you consider serbia, russia, italy and lithuania competitive sides on the international level? because if you do, then puerto rico are maybe brazil are (currently) on their level.

also no one has mentioned pau's choke in 07 euro, lost the final at home to russia whose best player was kirilenko, he had 14 and 14 in 33 minutes with 25% FG and 5 turnovers.

JamStone
09-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Pau Gasol the franchise player was a complete stinker no matter how you look at it. You conveniently skip over his first two season where he put up great numbers but his team kept on failing miserably as they historically have. Once they hired a good coach and put up a moderately good surrounding cast, they flamed out in the first round of the playoff pretty consistently. I actually have to look it up, but I'm pretty sure Gasol never won a single playoff game playing for the Grizzlies.

Let me say I don't personally hate Pau. I actually think that the Grizzlies shutting down the franchise player experiment was probably the best that could ever happen to him. He absolutely excels in the second banana role.
It's undeniable he's a very talented player, but he has his flaws, just like Manu and any other basketball player.

This is a load of crap.

I didn't conveniently skip over or fail to mention anything. Gasol did more good for the Grizzlies than he did in terms of failing to meet any type of expectations. No, he and his Grizzlies never won a playoff game. In those three playoff match-ups, he and the Grizzlies also faced the defending championship Spurs and two 60 win teams in Phoenix and Dallas the next two seasons. They were completely outmatched in all three match-ups. Should they have won at least a game? Probably. But, it wasn't exactly a surprise that they were swept in any of those three instances.

We're not comparing Gasol to Duncan or Shaq. If you want to say Gasol isn't a true #1 NBA franchise player, I wouldn't argue with that. But, that's not the discussion here. The vast majority of great players in the league wouldn't have changed the Memphis Grizzlies' fortunes during the years Pau was there, except for maybe Shaq and Tim and maybe LeBron. Again, not comparing Gasol to them. Gasol was put in an extremely unwinnable situation and he still was able to help make them a playoff team for three straight years in a very tough conference. I don't think guys like Dwight Howard or Chris Bosh would have done better. I don't think even KG or Dirk would have done all that much better, maybe win a playoff game or two in those seasons. But, they wouldn't have won a playoff series. I still wouldn't criticize him for his years in Memphis because look at that franchise before he was there and after he left. He actually led them to a 50 win season one of those years. And I already said this, but before Pau was on the Grizzlies and since he was traded the next best season they've had was last year at 24-58. That's their BEST season in their history without Pau Gasol.

Look at the Memphis Grizzlies winning percentage with Pau Gasol. Their record is 230-306 with him on the roster (includes him being injured but still on the roster) which is a .429 winning percentage. Not very good at all. In fact, pretty below average.

UNTIL you realize what the franchise's record and winning percentage without Pau Gasol on their roster, which is 134-444 for a .232 winning percentage.

Gasol is a very good player who as a second fiddle to someone like Kobe is a great player. Say what you want to say about Gasol not being a franchise player or a go-to guy or someone that can carry a team to a championship. I wouldn't disagree with it. But, to criticize him for failing in Memphis is still completely short-sighted and doesn't take into consideration what he actually really did to help a struggling and horrible franchise to be even respectable. I reiterate that I think it's an overly harsh and unwarranted criticism of the guy.

ginobili fan
09-25-2009, 12:50 PM

Manu has olympic games MVP award.
Pau should never won NBA title.
Manu has nothing to win anymore.

But right now Pau is number the number 1 player.

lennyalderette
09-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Pau or Manu? Both combined are not equivalent to what Dirk's achieved through last decade. The MVP trophy doesn't seem to be something that will come to either Manu or Pau, while Dirk can easily coattail a ring if he wants just like Gary Payton did in 06.

okay man but can he coattail 3 rings? yeah manu or pau may not be getting the mvp, but they may be getting more titles something that dirk will def not be getting anytime soon, maybe he should give up trying to be a leader and follow a real leader like he was supposed to, tell him to come to the spurs then hell get his pathetic title as u put it:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::flag:

BillMc
09-25-2009, 04:03 PM

Agreed. Manu qualified for the HOF right there. The international comitee of the HOF will make sure he goes in for that tournament. For the Argentina to beat the US at the OLympics was huge in international basketball.

Pau has done some nice stuff but Manu's won wherever he's played.

sonic21
09-25-2009, 04:25 PM
the 2008 spain team would have won against the 2004 US team though.

smeagol
09-25-2009, 04:31 PM
this thread sucks

Hey aislasionista . . . wassup?

DAF86
09-25-2009, 04:47 PM
the 2008 spain team would have won against the 2004 US team though.

Everybody also thought that the 2004 Spain team was going to beat the 2004 US team and look what happened.

sonic21
09-25-2009, 04:49 PM
you can't compare the 2 spanish teams.

DAF86
09-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Not really, as no matter what you write I always find myself scrolling down past the text to the images....

But you do want me to keep posting :eyebrows

DAF86
09-25-2009, 04:51 PM
you can't compare the 2 spanish teams.

Why not? there are several players in common between those two teams.

ElNono
09-25-2009, 04:55 PM
This is a load of crap.

I didn't conveniently skip over or fail to mention anything. Gasol did more good for the Grizzlies than he did in terms of failing to meet any type of expectations. No, he and his Grizzlies never won a playoff game. In those three playoff match-ups, he and the Grizzlies also faced the defending championship Spurs and two 60 win teams in Phoenix and Dallas the next two seasons. They were completely outmatched in all three match-ups. Should they have won at least a game? Probably. But, it wasn't exactly a surprise that they were swept in any of those three instances.

We're not comparing Gasol to Duncan or Shaq. If you want to say Gasol isn't a true #1 NBA franchise player, I wouldn't argue with that. But, that's not the discussion here. The vast majority of great players in the league wouldn't have changed the Memphis Grizzlies' fortunes during the years Pau was there, except for maybe Shaq and Tim and maybe LeBron. Again, not comparing Gasol to them. Gasol was put in an extremely unwinnable situation and he still was able to help make them a playoff team for three straight years in a very tough conference. I don't think guys like Dwight Howard or Chris Bosh would have done better. I don't think even KG or Dirk would have done all that much better, maybe win a playoff game or two in those seasons. But, they wouldn't have won a playoff series. I still wouldn't criticize him for his years in Memphis because look at that franchise before he was there and after he left. He actually led them to a 50 win season one of those years. And I already said this, but before Pau was on the Grizzlies and since he was traded the next best season they've had was last year at 24-58. That's their BEST season in their history without Pau Gasol.

Look at the Memphis Grizzlies winning percentage with Pau Gasol. Their record is 230-306 with him on the roster (includes him being injured but still on the roster) which is a .429 winning percentage. Not very good at all. In fact, pretty below average.

UNTIL you realize what the franchise's record and winning percentage without Pau Gasol on their roster, which is 134-444 for a .232 winning percentage.

Gasol is a very good player who as a second fiddle to someone like Kobe is a great player. Say what you want to say about Gasol not being a franchise player or a go-to guy or someone that can carry a team to a championship. I wouldn't disagree with it. But, to criticize him for failing in Memphis is still completely short-sighted and doesn't take into consideration what he actually really did to help a struggling and horrible franchise to be even respectable. I reiterate that I think it's an overly harsh and unwarranted criticism of the guy.

My claim was that as a franchise player, he was a complete stinker. I see that you basically agree with me on that.

You don't need to apologize for the guy. There's plenty of very good players that can't fit the franchise bill. Manu might be one of those too, we just don't know.

JamStone
09-25-2009, 05:33 PM
As a franchise player, saying he was a "complete stinker" is still too harsh and unwarranted. Not every franchise player has to bring the team a championship to not be a stinker. And, considering where the Grizzlies franchise was before Pau and since he left, just making it to the playoffs three years in a row would absolutely not constitute being a "complete stinker."

I don't basically agree with you. I don't think he's the type of franchise player that can automatically make a team a championship contender. But, that doesn't mean I think he's a complete stinker as a franchise player. What he did for Memphis was probably even more than they expected from him. You're looking at his years in Memphis in a pretty warped way.

diego
09-25-2009, 06:13 PM
spain 2008:
gasol
fernandez
navarro
calderon
reyes
jimenez
garbajosa
rubio
lopez
rodriguez
gasol
mumbru

spain 2004:
gasol
fernandez
navarro
calderon
reyes
jimenez
garbajosa
yebra fernandez
duenas hernandez
iturbe
comas font
de la fuente

argentina 2008:
scola
ginobili
oberto
gutierrez
delfino
nocioni
gonzalez
prigioni
porta
quinteros
gutierrez
kammerichs

argentina 2004:
scola
ginobili
oberto
gutierrez
delfino
nocioni
hermann
sanchez
montecchia
sconochini
wolkowisky
fernandez

argentina changed 6 players from 04 to 08, losing all their point guards and a good back up center to age (hardest positions to fill/compete against USA), not to mention Hermann and Sconochini two important players also.
spain changed 5 players from 04 to 08, the only noteworthy additions being m. gasol and rubio (a C and a PG). or did I miss something where Mumbru, rodriguez and Lopez were great additions to their team?

why is it fair to say that 08 spain would have beat 04 USA, and not that 04 argentina would have beat 08 USA? that's all hypothetical BS. fact is Argentina won the olympics and the WC (1950 baby!) and spain has only won the WC. :king
of the tournaments that matter, manu has 3 rings, a gold medal and a silver. Pau has 1 ring, a silver and a gold.
argentina > spain
manu > pau
(for both categories, only in accomplishments, not present day level unfortunately ... :depressed)

spursnatic
09-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Hands down.... Manu.....Pau is not even close..And I am not saying that because I am a SPURS fan either

temujin
09-26-2009, 03:48 AM
Yeah, because Marc puts up much bigger numbers than his brother...

Numbers.

Pau played for years with Spain, and won zero.
After they blew the 07 Euro at home he even became a legend in that.
Then his brother came in.
And they won a WC and an Euro.

Check out who did NOT play in the WC final.

It's all about winning.

The_Game
09-26-2009, 03:55 AM
Hands down.... Manu.....Pau is not even close..And I am not saying that because I am a SPURS fan either

:lol yeah you are.