PDA

View Full Version : Duncan not likely to suit up tonight

Kori Ellis
04-13-2005, 01:16 AM
Spurs notebook: Duncan not likely to suit up tonight
Web Posted: 04/13/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041305.5E.BKNspurs.duncan.1d115f435.html

After using the past three weeks to let his sprained right ankle heal, Tim Duncan made his long-awaited return to the court Tuesday.

To play one-on-one with Sean Marks.

"He was a bit guarded as one might expect, but there was some good, physical contact," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "It was a good workout. We're anxious to see how he feels."

Popovich said he doubts Duncan, who hasn't played since March 20, will be in uniform for tonight's game against Utah.

"I just don't want to pull the trigger yet," Popovich said, "and maybe pull it too soon."

Devin Brown also has started to play some one-on-one. If Brown doesn't have a setback, he could be cleared to practice Friday.

Brown, who has been receiving treatment for a herniated disk in his lower back, hasn't played since March 21.

"It's a little bit controlled; it's not full bore," Popovich said of Brown's workouts. "He's being careful not to rebound too much and come down and jar it."

Nesterovic news positive: An MRI revealed no unexpected damage to Rasho Nesterovic's left ankle.

Nesterovic isn't expected to return until the start of the playoffs, at the earliest.

"Right now we're cautiously optimistic he'll be ready in the beginning of the first round," Popovich said. "Whether that's the first game or the third game, I'm not sure."

Nesterovic didn't accompany the team to Utah so he can continue his treatment at the practice facility.

About last weekend: According to Elias Sports, the Spurs are the only team in NBA history to win double-overtime games on consecutive nights.

The Vancouver Grizzlies split double-OT and triple-OT games Feb. 16-17, 1999. The Minneapolis Lakers split back-to-back triple-OT games Dec. 21-22, 1951.

The 211 shots the Spurs took in the two games is the most by any team since Dallas attempted 214 in consecutive games in January 2004.

Good-sport Spurs: The Spurs will hold Child Abuse Prevention Night during Saturday's game against Memphis.

In combination with the city's Blue Ribbon Child Abuse Prevention Task Force and Kappa Delta Sorority, the team is asking fans to donate teddy bears at the game. The stuffed animals will be given to local children.

Each fan who donates a bear will be eligible to win a bear autographed by Brent Barry. Barry is the honorary chairman of the blue-ribbon task force.

Meyer honored: Popovich presented longtime St. Mary's coach Buddy Meyer with a No. 1 Spurs jersey at halftime Tuesday. Meyer recently retired.

Catching up: It's a hands-on education that Kevin Pritchard believes could benefit anyone who is involved in professional basketball player evaluation, but it comes with an extreme level of frustration. Being an interim coach of an NBA team isn't easy.

Pritchard, who served the Spurs as a scout for a season-and-a-half, began this season as director of player personnel for the Portland Trail Blazers. When Maurice Cheeks was fired on March 2, Pritchard was named interim coach by general manager John Nash, whose idea was for Pritchard to learn the personnel, from the inside out.

"I hope it makes me better (at player evaluation)," Pritchard said of his coaching experience. "It helps me understand the players better. But I don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone."

milkyway21
04-13-2005, 01:48 AM
looks like Browns return might be a little bit longer than expected. I think he'll miss the playoffs...

good news on Rasho and Duncan though :D :D :D

Kori Ellis
04-13-2005, 01:49 AM
looks like Browns return might be a little bit longer than expected.

Why do you say that?

It looks like it will be shorter than expected. He's going to be running a full practice on Friday. That's much sooner than expected.

milkyway21
04-13-2005, 02:30 AM
bec of this...

"It's a little bit controlled; it's not full bore," Popovich said of Brown's workouts. "He's being careful not to rebound too much and come down and jar it."

he's just started rebounding. Lower back pain is supposed to be a long-term injury to heal than a slightly sprained ankle. Of course if he'll continue to take some shots it might be of some help. But, Pops is not going to take chances on a 90% Devin than a healthy Wilks or (?)...

i don't know how you look at it. But in my opinion Devin has a lot of work to do to get back to form before playoff.:cry

whottt
04-13-2005, 03:19 AM
The Minneapolis Lakers split back-to-back triple-OT games Dec. 21-22, 1951.

That's not listed at the Sharp site. They don't even have any OT games listed for the Minny Lakers on those dates.

It's obvious that something at happened in those games looking at the scores though...All the teams scored 90+ point in the games...in the pre shot clock era when 64 points was a decent score.

Phenomanul
04-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Didn't Kori (supported by her website's part-time statiticians) beat out Elias Sports to the history-making-news????

Why is Ludden giving them the props....???

Is Ludden mad at Kori that he had mistakenly printed false history???

FromWayDowntown
04-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Didn't Kori (supported by her website's part-time statiticians) beat out Elias Sports to the history-making-news????

Why is Ludden giving them the props....???

Is Ludden mad at Kori that he had mistakenly printed false history???

Probably because Elias makes the gathering of this type of information its business. Were I in Ludden's shoes, I'd cite to Elias before I gave credit to some anonymous dudes on a web forum, even if the posters actually proved to be right.

sa_butta
04-13-2005, 12:02 PM
So could we see Duncan on Saturday?

Shelly
04-13-2005, 03:14 PM
I just don't want to pull the trigger yet," Popovich said

Hmmmm....that saying is used a lot around here. Perhaps Pop is reading this site?

smeagol
04-13-2005, 03:26 PM
So could we see Duncan on Saturday?
If only to make me Vricher?

MannyIsGod
04-13-2005, 08:06 PM
http://www.cia.gov/graphics/cianew3.jpg

stéphane
04-13-2005, 08:07 PM
http://www.cia.gov/graphics/cianew3.jpg
lmao exactly
pop = intox :king