PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football Strategy Question

Thunder Dan
09-24-2009, 09:38 AM
I was thinking about this last night and couldn't come to a conclusion on my own. I have Romo and Cutler as my QB's. The team I am playing this weekend has Greg Olsen and Knox in his starting lineup. Wouldn't it be more beneficial for me to start Cutler over Romo (assuming Romo is rated higher this given week) for the fact that if my opponent's guys are to score touchdowns, my QB would be the guy getting it to them. In other words, I am reducing his team from 6 guys to 4 guys as he won't be able to gain on points by those guys scoring touchdowns or gaining yards. I can benefit from Cutler throwing to TD pass to another player Sunday, while my opponent can't unless Cutler gets pulled.

It's a .50 PPR league, so it's not that big of a deal.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-24-2009, 10:11 AM
I used to think this way, but try to simplify it a little.

You've got no control over what happens. Olsen is going to score x amount of points, Knox is going to score y amount of points. Together, they're going to score (x + y) amount of points.

Cutler is going to score A amount of points. Romo is going to score B amount of points. Playing Cutler isn't going to change the fact Olsen and Knox are scoring (x + y) points. All you should be worrying about is which QB will get you more points, since the amount of points your opponent gets is a number you've got no control over.

Thunder Dan
09-24-2009, 10:20 AM
I used to think this way, but try to simplify it a little.

You've got no control over what happens. Olsen is going to score x amount of points, Knox is going to score y amount of points. Together, they're going to score (x + y) amount of points.

Cutler is going to score A amount of points. Romo is going to score B amount of points. Playing Cutler isn't going to change the fact Olsen and Knox are scoring (x + y) points. All you should be worrying about is which QB will get you more points, since the amount of points your opponent gets is a number you've got no control over.

but that's not what I'm saying..

If Knox's points represent 'X' and Olsen 'Y', and Cutler's points not including Knox and Olsen represent 'Z'

The equation would be Cutlers total points= X+Y+Z

What I'm saying is, the only points Knox and Olsen can score without also getting Cutler points is .50 for a reception, while Cutler can get points by throwing to another Bears player.

For example, if Knox gets 6 points for a TD, Cutler gets 6 too. If Olsen has 40 yards receiving, Cutler gets 40 yards passing

The contrary would be starting Romo, and having Knox and Olsen each catch Touchdown passes, and Romo throwing 3 picks again.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-24-2009, 10:44 AM

If Knox's points represent 'X' and Olsen 'Y', and Cutler's points not including Knox and Olsen represent 'Z'

What I'm saying is, the only points Knox and Olsen can score without also getting Cutler points is .50 for a reception, while Cutler can get points by throwing to another Bears player.

For example, if Knox gets 6 points for a TD, Cutler gets 6 too. If Olsen has 40 yards receiving, Cutler gets 40 yards passing

The contrary would be starting Romo, and having Knox and Olsen each catch Touchdown passes, and Romo throwing 3 picks again.

If you think Cutler is going to score more than Romo, then start him. If you think Romo is going to score more than Cutler, start him, it's that simple.

DBryant88
09-24-2009, 11:08 AM
If you think Cutler is going to score more than Romo, then start him. If you think Romo is going to score more than Cutler, start him, it's that simple.

who does chicago play?

Thunder Dan
09-24-2009, 11:11 AM
who does chicago play?

Seattle, both opposing defense are basically even in terms of passing defenses

DBryant88
09-24-2009, 11:22 AM
yeah they both are shitty

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Who does Dallas play?

rascal
09-24-2009, 11:40 AM

So 40 yards receiving for a wr = the same amount of points for a qb throwing 40 yards? Most leagues the wr will get 1 point per 10 yards and the qb gets 1 point per 25 yards.

But to answer your question just play the qb that you will think will get the most points. If Romo gets more points than Cutler than that player would look better in your lineup. If you think both qbs are close to equal with their matchups for this week then play Cutler.

rascal
09-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Barber is banged up and may play limited snaps so maybe Dallas airs it out more in this game.

Cutler should also have a very solid game. But I read where the Bears want to get their running game back on track after Forte's disappointing start of the season.

I tend to like the Sunday afternoon games more for explosive numbers than Monday night games. Carolina will come in hungry for a win and will pound it on the ground against Dallas and should put out a good effort on monday night. That can eat up chunks of clock time. Lots of conflicting info which makes it a tough call.

Thunder Dan
09-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Barber is banged up and may play limited snaps so maybe Dallas airs it out more in this game.

Cutler should also have a very solid game. But I read where the Bears want to get their running game back on track after Forte's disappointing start of the season.

I tend to like the Sunday afternoon games more for explosive numbers than Monday night games. Carolina will come in hungry for a win and will pound it on the ground against Dallas and should put out a good effort on monday night. That can eat up chunks of clock time. Lots of conflicting info which makes it a tough call.

yeah like I wouldn't do this for any other week, but this week it's such a coin toss that I'm thinking along the lines of this off the wall strategy

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-24-2009, 12:19 PM
If you think that they're going to score around the same amount of points, then yeah Cutler is the right start only because if you guess wrong and Cutler has a horrible game at least his team sucks too. If you guessed wrong and Romo had a bad game, you'd be fucked if Cutler played well.

Thunder Dan
09-24-2009, 12:39 PM
If you think that they're going to score around the same amount of points, then yeah Cutler is the right start only because if you guess wrong and Cutler has a horrible game at least his team sucks too. If you guessed wrong and Romo had a bad game, you'd be fucked if Cutler played well.

exactly my thinking

GuerillaBlack
09-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just post what I did here:

So, who won in this deal? I wanted Joe Flacco so this guy in my league offered Brandon Jacobs, Joe Flacco, and Marshawn Lynch for Michael Turner and Felix Jones. My starting WRs are good (Randy Moss, Roy Williams, and Colston), but my best backup was Hester. I dropped Anthony Gonzales for Manningham, so my WR core is better. What do you all think?

Link: http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/clubhouse?leagueId=269088&teamId=2&seasonId=2009

I don't think I traded away my best player or anything. I think I'll be fine with Jacobs/Westbrook/Lynch/Benson has my RBs. I have Moss/Colston/R. Williams at WR. I just don't trust McNabb to be healthy this entire year.

Thunder Dan
09-25-2009, 01:07 PM

So, who won in this deal? I wanted Joe Flacco so this guy in my league offered Brandon Jacobs, Joe Flacco, and Marshawn Lynch for Michael Turner and Felix Jones. My starting WRs are good (Randy Moss, Roy Williams, and Colston), but my best backup was Hester. I dropped Anthony Gonzales for Manningham, so my WR core is better. What do you all think?

Link: http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/clubhouse?leagueId=269088&teamId=2&seasonId=2009

I don't think I traded away my best player or anything. I think I'll be fine with Jacobs/Westbrook/Lynch/Benson has my RBs. I have Moss/Colston/R. Williams at WR. I just don't trust McNabb to be healthy this entire year.

Who is your starting QB? Flacco?

GuerillaBlack
09-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Well, right now he is. McNabb is just sitting.

Thunder Dan
09-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Well, right now he is. McNabb is just sitting.

i'd probably trade Flacco now and pick up Orton or someone off waivers. Flacco could get you someone right now and he will just be riding your bench when McNabb is back next week. Flacco could get you someone, not sure I would make that major deal you mentioned, but I would be trying to trade him

rascal
09-28-2009, 01:46 PM

Good trade. I am not convince about Flacco yet and would try to trade him for another QB like Roethlisberger, Cutler, Palmer or even E Manning but you are deeper at rb with that move. F Jones is still a backup after this week and Turner won't put up similar numbers to last year against a tougher schedule. And get Mccoy if you have Westbrook.

Thunder Dan
09-28-2009, 02:19 PM
I just made a trade and basically this is how it worked out. Anyone think I fucked up?

I deal: Romo, Amahad Bradshaw and Dustin Keller

I Get: Tomlinson, Trent Edwards, and Heath Miller

Cutler is my Starting QB now (Edwards backup ((vs. Browns on Cutler's bye))
Cooley is my starting tight end

My Running Backs are now: Chris Johnson, LT, K. Smith, L. White, Buckhalter.

I'm kinda having buyers remorse because my team is 3-0, but I figure I traded 3 Bench guys for 2 bench guys and a potential top 20 player, and if he is hurt, I just trade 3 bench guys for 3 bench guys

rascal
09-29-2009, 11:50 AM
I just made a trade and basically this is how it worked out. Anyone think I fucked up?

I deal: Romo, Amahad Bradshaw and Dustin Keller

I Get: Tomlinson, Trent Edwards, and Heath Miller

Cutler is my Starting QB now (Edwards backup ((vs. Browns on Cutler's bye))
Cooley is my starting tight end

My Running Backs are now: Chris Johnson, LT, K. Smith, L. White, Buckhalter.

I'm kinda having buyers remorse because my team is 3-0, but I figure I traded 3 Bench guys for 2 bench guys and a potential top 20 player, and if he is hurt, I just trade 3 bench guys for 3 bench guys

Its worth the gamble. Romo doesn't have a go to wr anymore . Roy Williams is not in the same class as TO was.

LT is still a ? the next couple of weeks but your team has greater upside risk/reward after this trade. Drop Miller for V Davis and you won't lose anything at TE. Try to move Edwards in another deal (maybe a two for two deal)for a better qb so you can play matchups with Cutler and the QB you trade for, I don't like Edwards much.

Thunder Dan
09-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Its worth the gamble. Romo doesn't have a go to wr anymore . Roy Williams is not in the same class as TO was.

LT is still a ? the next couple of weeks but your team has greater upside risk/reward after this trade. Drop Miller for V Davis and you won't lose anything at TE. Try to move Edwards in another deal (maybe a two for two deal)for a better qb so you can play matchups with Cutler and the QB you trade for, I don't like Edwards much.

I just picked up Edwards because he plays the Browns on the one week I know Culter is out

FlavoredIcecream
09-30-2009, 03:36 AM
I think you should start Cutler against Detroit. Instead of Romo vs Denver. Look at the matchups. :lol

Knox will probably score on a WR Reverse. And he might also do a WR Reverse/pass to Olsen. Giving Knox 2 TD's and Olsen 1. And Jay with 0.

So think carefully now. :king