PDA

View Full Version : Prokhorov buying Nets makes Spurs summer moves worthit

peacemaker885
09-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Not that we can land Le Bron or Chris Bosh next year, but with this billionaire buying the Nets, he will surely throw money around next year. Small markets like San Antonio wouldn't have a chance with the stars next year. So I think this makes this summers move doubly amazing, not to mention timely. Cheers :toast

romain.star
09-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Chelski 2.0

Muser
09-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Chelski 2.0

If you're talking about abramovich and Chelsea then I agree, damn oil tycoons.

BG_Spurs_Fan
09-24-2009, 11:20 AM
He won't be able to do anything like what Abramovich did at Chelsea, there are too many rules in NBA's CBA to stop him,or at least restrict him.

Samr
09-24-2009, 11:22 AM
CIA Pop. I'm pretty sure this was all part of his plan.

yavozerb
09-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Maybe we could trade them the rights of sergei karulov for a 2nd rd pick now...lol

manufan10
09-24-2009, 11:30 AM

:lol

Trainwreck2100
09-24-2009, 11:32 AM

He probably has some old contacts from his cold war days

romain.star
09-24-2009, 11:52 AM
He won't be able to do anything like what Abramovich did at Chelsea, there are too many rules in NBA's CBA to stop him,or at least restrict him.

being full of cash in 2010 is still pretty interesting

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Pop is Jack Ryan to Porkypigorov's Ramius. Look for Rod Thorn to get pressured into trading Lopez to the Spurs Scola style.

Samr
09-24-2009, 11:54 AM
In all seriousness, if the Nets do start spending, then it really was great timing. Though, not just for the Spurs. The Lakers, Celtics, Magic, Cavs, and Mavericks also greatly improved. The good teams grabbed what they could this off-season, I'm assuming because they'd rather have a sure thing now than dip into the 2010 post-lottery lottery and take their chances.

That is, after all, why they are good teams. Because they're run by smart, strategic people that can forecast and know when to use the gas and break.

Sadly, Denver may be left out in the cold, not because they're a bad team -- they're not -- but simply because they didn't grab and run this off-season. (actually, it's not sad at all. I can't stand the Nuggets and I wish nothing but terrible fortune upon that francise.)

Good news for Nets fans though; this at least puts them back in the hunt. I've always liked that team, but unfortunately, they just haven't been able to get it done lately. Here's to hoping it works out.

coyotes_geek
09-24-2009, 12:04 PM

Let's keep our eyes out for a Matt Bonner for Brook Lopez trade. :)

DPG21920
09-24-2009, 12:22 PM

Let's keep our eyes out for a Matt Bonner for Brook Lopez trade. :)

Honest question: Would you cry actual tears of joy if this happened? I don't mean like one tear because you are excited, I mean weak knee's and a flood of tears.

lennyalderette
09-24-2009, 12:30 PM
In all seriousness, if the Nets do start spending, then it really was great timing. Though, not just for the Spurs. The Lakers, Celtics, Magic, Cavs, and Mavericks also greatly improved. The good teams grabbed what they could this off-season, I'm assuming because they'd rather have a sure thing now than dip into the 2010 post-lottery lottery and take their chances.

That is, after all, why they are good teams. Because they're run by smart, strategic people that can forecast and know when to use the gas and break.

Sadly, Denver may be left out in the cold, not because they're a bad team -- they're not -- but simply because they didn't grab and run this off-season. (actually, it's not sad at all. I can't stand the Nuggets and I wish nothing but terrible fortune upon that francise.)

Good news for Nets fans though; this at least puts them back in the hunt. I've always liked that team, but unfortunately, they just haven't been able to get it done lately. Here's to hoping it works out.

the reason why they started pulling the trigger on those trades are because of san antonio!!!! cleveland, boston, and magic are a bunch of followers!!! esp. cleveland mike brown openly copies pop, and asks himself ''what would pop do?" i sure hope pop doesnt offer that loser any advice, if that guy could fuck us he totally would!! he was persuing bowen majorly

lennyalderette
09-24-2009, 12:36 PM
the prob with this team being sold, is that all these foreign guys are going to be interested in buying all of our teams and will be messing with the traditiional business aspect of the nba. if you think about it it could really change alot of things and not in a good way

BlackBellamy
09-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Honest question: Would you cry actual tears of joy if this happened? I don't mean like one tear because you are excited, I mean weak knee's and a flood of tears.

:lol I think that I'd personally be so confounded that I'd have a tough time expressing my emotions. I think it would be a cocktail of feelings. By the end I think my state would involve doing kicks above my head like a cheerleader, running at full speed and the "flying splits", ala David Lee Roth 1984. Just running down Broadway like an idiot, screaming the good news.

coyotes_geek
09-24-2009, 12:48 PM

Oh I'd be balling my eyes out. :lol

HarlemHeat37
09-24-2009, 01:07 PM
I don't see how it wouldn't be in a good way..

There is a lot of hype here right now about this deal, everybody seems happy about it..this means the Brooklyn deal will definitely go through, and that's going to be huge for a struggling franchise like the Nets..this owner sounds like a big sports fan that will spend a lot of money on bringing in a quality product for the fans..it's also going to be a thriving NBA market considering the multiculturalism IMO..

Morg1411
09-24-2009, 01:28 PM

I'd collapse in a heap of exploding joy.

Yes, it sounds dirty...and it probably is.

In all seriousness, Brooke Lopez has been on my wish list (along with John Salmons) forever. Most any deal involving one of those two coming to S.A. would probably make me wet myself with happiness.

admiralsnackbar
09-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Wonder if Russian mobsters in Brighton will trade in their trademark black leather coats for Nets jackets now.

Samr
09-24-2009, 01:49 PM
I think we're all missing the real issue at hand here: David Stern is about to implode.

Issue #1: First, his favorite team, the Lakers, sign his least-favorite player, Ron Artest. It's like taking something unconditionally awesome, which for you or I would be like David Robinson's legacy, and then irreparably destroying it, which would be like if we found out DRob also fathered a stripper-baby while cheating on his wife during a crack-cocaine binge.

Issue #2: Meanwhile, his least favorite team, the Spurs, leapfrogged the competition and once again put them atop the leaders in the West. My made-up sources tell me that when Stern heard the news of the RJ signing, he threw his Miami Heat championship ring through a window.

Issue #3: The Knicks still have Eddy Curry and Jared Jeffries. I don't know why, but someone decided to give both of them a lot of money. So much money, in fact, that it's pretty well-accepted at this point that they are not in the LBJ sweepstakes. Add to that the fact the Knicks still want to resign David Lee (and they didn't package him with one of the above for salary cap room), and you have a recipe for David Stern getting blue balls in the summer of 2010.

Issue #4: Some Russian guy with a hard-to-pronounce name and lot of money just bought the Nets. The Nets are easy to love, mainly because they suck so bad and still try so hard. But, they're in New Jersey, and New Jersey is the home of the guido, and therefor that whole area sucks. Now what would happen if a team everyone likes because they suck, in an area we'd all rather not acknowledge exists, suddenly gets good?

Of course Stern has to support the new ownership because he wants the NBA to expand overseas (= $$$). But I promise you he's at his therapist's office right now crying about how he's can't market a good team "surrounded by a cesspool." And about how that team might actually end up taking some of his marquee players away from some of his favorite teams.

David Stern, this Bud's for YOU!! You'll need it. Good luck man.

HarlemHeat37
09-24-2009, 01:52 PM
I have to disagree with the last one..Stern is probably loving this..helps the NBA expand overseas, and the Nets get to complete their relocation to Brooklyn by 2011-2012, which brings another team to the greatest city on the planet..

Basketballgirl25
09-24-2009, 02:21 PM

I'm a Nets fan, so I hope he starts spending to win. Because the only teams I think will be good for the next few years are Cavs(if Lebron stays), Magic, Celtics(for a year or two) and Lakers. Spurs could be a team to fear and Mavs I think they will stay the same, a good team that isn't going to win anytime soon

Basketballgirl25
09-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Pop is Jack Ryan to Porkypigorov's Ramius. Look for Rod Thorn to get pressured into trading Lopez to the Spurs Scola style.

If Nets trade Lopez, it better be for a good player, because as of right now Lopez looks like he has a good future

#2!
09-24-2009, 02:30 PM
is it really still considered the greatest city on the planet?

09-24-2009, 02:53 PM
lebron is gone for sure if cavs come up short again. who wouldn't want to join a team with promising young players in lee and lopez combined with an all star point guard just entering his prime? now the move to brooklyn is all but assured and the new owner can easily throw around money to build and fund a championship team, mark cuban style. except the nets will actually win something.

peacemaker885
09-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Could Claudio Crippa (new Spurs Euro scout) have given San Antonio inside info about Prokhorov (Crippa's ex boss in CSKA Moscow) plans, which prompted the summer moves?

Just a thought...

Basketballgirl25
09-24-2009, 03:45 PM
lebron is gone for sure if cavs come up short again. who wouldn't want to join a team with promising young players in lee and lopez combined with an all star point guard just entering his prime? now the move to brooklyn is all but assured and the new owner can easily throw around money to build and fund a championship team, mark cuban style. except the nets will actually win something.

hopefully the Nets don't do it Mark Cuban style, or we will be paying old players like Kidd who are good, but not what they once were, I want to good players. That aren't like this and have time:toast

#2!
09-24-2009, 05:55 PM
we

? not allowed to change favorite teams?

lotr1trekkie
09-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Watch 'Eastern Promises' and you will understand what this owner is all about.

TimmehC
09-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Careful - he might try to steal Manu.

TIMMYD!
09-24-2009, 09:16 PM

I'd be on the floor crying, and screaming like a little girl for a whole week.

raspsa
09-24-2009, 09:30 PM
the prob with this team being sold, is that all these foreign guys are going to be interested in buying all of our teams and will be messing with the traditiional business aspect of the nba. if you think about it it could really change alot of things and not in a good way

Its just one seat out of 30 in the board.. no need tp panic yet..:wow

mountainballer
09-24-2009, 11:56 PM
what an unbelievable nonsense this thread is.
as if it takes a Russian billionaire to get Lebron (or Wade, Bosh) a max offer. he also can't "trow money around", he can just offer what the league rules allow. this owner change in NJ effects the Spurs situation as much as an owner change of a gas station in Idaho.

velik_m
09-25-2009, 02:35 AM
Manu is a FA next year :stirpot:

09-25-2009, 03:09 AM
what an unbelievable nonsense this thread is.
as if it takes a Russian billionaire to get Lebron (or Wade, Bosh) a max offer. he also can't "trow money around", he can just offer what the league rules allow. this owner change in NJ effects the Spurs situation as much as an owner change of a gas station in Idaho.
sure he can. there are many ways in getting around the salary cap. lakers and the mavs are the best examples. lakers used odom's bird rights to offer him a very high contract, persuading him to stay while also using their MLE for artest. lakers contractual obligations are at $91 million, $20 million above the luxury tax threshold, $30 million over the NBA salary cap. mavs have a history of offering contracts above market value to outbid competitors. diop, dampier, and kidd come to mind. only teams with very rich owners or big markets can afford to do so.

nets already have a young core. all the nets have to worry about is resigning their FA's when needed, which shouldn't be a problem if the owner isn't worried about luxury tax penalties. this makes the nets an ideal team to join for those FA's.

mountainballer
09-25-2009, 03:49 AM
again, for all who speculate how many FAs at what price this guy will buy:
there is something called salary cap and till now there is no Russian Money Exception included in the CBA.
this means: considering the lower cap for 2010, the Nets will have about 20-25 million $ to spend. (already assumed that Dooling and Najera are waived and factored in the cap hold for at least 6 min.players and a 1st round pick). that's good enough to offer one max contract to Lebron, Wade or Bosh (about 17 million), but there is now way they can offer 2 max contracts. (unless they do some other major moves till summer 2010).
best case (for them) would be to sign Lebron to the max and get another quality player for about 8 million. (this of course could be Manu, but I doubt it) if they go for star power, they might try to get t-mac for that kind of money. not impossible IMO.
(the smarter move might be a player like Mike Miller)

however, this are all moves that didn't need a Russian billionaire. almost any NBA owner would try something like this in this situation.

but what in fact might help, is the person of Prokhorov, like an yahoo article tried to point out. reportedly he is quite charismatic and guys like Lebron are impressionable by those lifestyles of the super rich.
Prokhorov bought at the Côte d'Azur for 750 million $ the most expensive private residence worldwide , the former Villa of the Agnelli family , once built by the King of Belgium and there he celebrates gigantic parties and floods the place with playmates and "models".

Basketballgirl25
09-25-2009, 06:12 AM
? not allowed to change favorite teams?

my favorite team are the NETS, I put Spurs on here because a totally messed up and wasn't paying attention, they are my faves in the west though:toast

CGD
09-25-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm pretty sure the salary cap is still around.

Even billionaire tycoons are loath to pay (effectively) double salaries...

Chieflion
09-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Well, they can complete their move to Brooklyn without giving a shit about money.

TFloss32
09-25-2009, 11:19 AM
I will be extremely surprised if LeBron doesn't leave Cleveland for the Nets or the Knicks next summer. LeBron, IMO, is a businessman first. He knows how to market himself and I can't see him passing up an opportunity to play for either of those teams. Plus, him and Jay-Z seems to be pretty tight.

This whole Nets transaction makes that NJ/NY scenario even more interesting because it looks like Brooklyn is a sure thing now. If LeBron were to come aboard it would be like the reincarnation of Jackie Robinson. The marketing potential of that situation would be insane. New city, arena, uniforms, etc. Interesting development.

Basketballgirl25
09-25-2009, 01:50 PM
I will be extremely surprised if LeBron doesn't leave Cleveland for the Nets or the Knicks next summer. LeBron, IMO, is a businessman first. He knows how to market himself and I can't see him passing up an opportunity to play for either of those teams. Plus, him and Jay-Z seems to be pretty tight.

This whole Nets transaction makes that NJ/NY scenario even more interesting because it looks like Brooklyn is a sure thing now. If LeBron were to come aboard it would be like the reincarnation of Jackie Robinson. The marketing potential of that situation would be insane. New city, arena, uniforms, etc. Interesting development.

it would actually suck for true Net Fans like myself if Lebron came and we were in Brooklyn. I'm Sure we'd sell many more tickets and it would be hard to get good seats:bang

TFloss32
09-25-2009, 02:55 PM
it would actually suck for true Net Fans like myself if Lebron came and we were in Brooklyn. I'm Sure we'd sell many more tickets and it would be hard to get good seats:bang

That's a great problem to have if LeBron ends up in New Jersey/Brooklyn.