PDA

View Full Version : Polls

Nbadan
09-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Plurality of self-idetified GOPers' prefer the nanny-state...

The new CBS/New York Times poll not only shows overwhelming support for the public option -- it shows that a plurality of self-identified Republicans are for it, too.

The poll asked this question: "Would you favor or oppose the government offering everyone a government administered health insurance plan -- something like the Medicare coverage that people 65 and older get -- that would compete with private health insurance plans?"

The top-line result is 65% in favor, 26% opposed. Among Democrats only, it's 81%-12%, and independents are at 61%-30%. And among Republican respondents, 47% are in favor, to 42% opposed.
The new CBS/New York Times poll not only shows overwhelming support for the public option -- it shows that a plurality of self-identified Republicans are for it, too.

The poll asked this question: "Would you favor or oppose the government offering everyone a government administered health insurance plan -- something like the Medicare coverage that people 65 and older get -- that would compete with private health insurance plans?"

The top-line result is 65% in favor, 26% opposed. Among Democrats only, it's 81%-12%, and independents are at 61%-30%. And among Republican respondents, 47% are in favor, to 42% opposed.

TMP (http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/09/poll-even-republican-voters-favor-the-public-option.php)

clambake
09-25-2009, 04:08 PM
polls suck, dan.

johnsmith
09-25-2009, 04:14 PM
the right wing mobsters here are all about polls now so this should have them shivering in their panties..

lmfao

Wild Cobra
09-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Well, that question is tricky because is say "competes with."

How would it compete with other plans if it costs tax dollars? Maybe you should also consider this question in the same poll:

SHOULD GOVT. GUARANTEE HEALTH INSURANCE
FOR ALL AMERICANS IF…?

…your health insurance costs would go up? 38% Yes 48% No.
…your taxes would go up? 36% Yes 52% No.
…the deficit would increase? 33% Yes 55% No.

starboy
09-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Well, that question is tricky because is say "competes with."

How would it compete with other plans if it costs tax dollars? Maybe you should also consider this question in the same poll:

Not to mention it blatantly displays the public option in a positive light.

"Would you favor or oppose the government offering everyone a government administered health insurance plan -- something like the Medicare coverage that people 65 and older get -- that would compete with private health insurance plans?"
Most people don't oppose Medicare and the help that people 65 years and older get. So it sways a would-be neutral or slightly opposing voter.

Consider the following -

"Do you favor the selling of illegal guns?"
Most people don't condone illegal things, and are therefore most likely going to vote "no" to this question.

What if the question had simply asked "Do you favor, or oppose gun control?", How do you think people would respond to this question compared to the previous one?

Further, what if majority of people Vote no on "Do you favor the selling illegal guns?", does it give someone the right to conclude "Majority favors gun control"? Of course not, however that's exactly what this author did by assuming "Even Republican voters favor the public option", when in fact they simply favored a government administered plan that's like medicaid which helps those 65 and older and would be competitive with private health insurance plans.

Nbadan
09-26-2009, 03:12 AM
So what your saying is that self-identified Republicans want govt. health-care, they just don't want to pay for it....right?

boutons_deux
09-26-2009, 06:27 AM
What citizens, including self-incriminating Repugs, poll as wanting or not wanting is totally disconnected from what corps and their Congressional whores will give them.

balli
09-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Not to mention it blatantly displays the public option in a positive light.

"Would you favor or oppose the government offering everyone a government administered health insurance plan -- something like the Medicare coverage that people 65 and older get -- that would compete with private health insurance plans?"
Most people don't oppose Medicare and the help that people 65 years and older get. So it sways a would-be neutral or slightly opposing voter.

Consider the following -

"Do you favor the selling of illegal guns?"
Most people don't condone illegal things, and are therefore most likely going to vote "no" to this question.

What if the question had simply asked "Do you favor, or oppose gun control?", How do you think people would respond to this question compared to the previous one?

Further, what if majority of people Vote no on "Do you favor the selling illegal guns?", does it give someone the right to conclude "Majority favors gun control"? Of course not, however that's exactly what this author did by assuming "Even Republican voters favor the public option", when in fact they simply favored a government administered plan that's like medicaid which helps those 65 and older and would be competitive with private health insurance plans.

Whatever. If these people were as united against a public option as the tea-baggers/republican dick-suckers of the world would have you believe, than they should be able to see through a slightly, and I emphasize slightly, loaded question.

That, or the equally plausible answer is that they're just a bunch of complete fucking idiots who are too stupid to listen to anyways.

I mean, your argument is that the average republican, err I mean libertarian, is just too retarded to even know what the public option is unless it's defined for them as a big bad sosalist takeover and by word as a "public option". If you tell them what it really is, if you can make these morons understand reality, they're for it. lol, lol, lol

spursncowboys
09-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Whatever. If these people were as united against a public option as the tea-baggers/republican dick-suckers of the world would have you believe, than they should be able to see through a slightly, and I emphasize slightly, loaded question.

That, or the equally plausible answer is that they're just a bunch of complete fucking idiots who are too stupid to listen to anyways.

I mean, your argument is that the average republican, err I mean libertarian, is just too retarded to even know what the public option is unless it's defined for them as a big bad sosalist takeover and by word as a "public option". If you tell them what it really is, if you can make these morons understand reality, they're for it. lol, lol, lol I don't think they are stupid. Advertisers have been doing this to intelligent people for centuries. Let's change "public option" to "government option" and "government help( or assistance)" to "government intevention" and see what happens. Both changes are more factual and are not as loaded as the original.

Nbadan
09-26-2009, 03:06 PM
So....we can agree that polls that show Obama's declining popularity numbers and polls that show Republicans could make some gains in 2010 might be skewed depending on who is asking the question and the manner in which they shape the question - interesting...

boutons_deux
09-26-2009, 03:14 PM
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/R2K_GOP.png

That's research 2000 poll.

Anybody have a right-wing poll showing the Repugs not relegated to being a Southern (racist) party?

Nbadan
09-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Another poll...

The Democratic leaders do have terrible polling numbers, Nancy Pelosi has a 34% approval rating in DKOS's new poll and Harry Reid has a 31% approval rating, but let's take a look at the Republican leadership, shall we?

Mitch McConnell is polling at an 18% approval rating. That's eighteen percent. John Boehner is polling at 12% approval rating. Just think about that one. And it doesn't take much to make him cry. Mitch and Boehner are viewed less favorably than Dick Cheney was during the dark days of the Bush administration. Why don't we hear about that on teevee?

Crooks and Liars (http://crooksandliars.com/john-amato/will-media-ever-report-how-low-poilling)

spursncowboys
09-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Another poll...

Crooks and Liars (http://crooksandliars.com/john-amato/will-media-ever-report-how-low-poilling)
Do you have a straight face when you posted a DailyKos poll? A poll taken from the Harvard faculty would be less biased and have more credibility.

spursncowboys
09-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Another poll...

22% have a favorable opinion of the Republicans at the DailyKos. That is alot higher than I would have thought. I bet you they get all their news from MSNBC and NYT.

antimvp
09-26-2009, 08:30 PM
I think the the health insurance industry is getting so desperate that they are paying off some pollster (rasmussen)

Wild Cobra
09-27-2009, 10:23 AM
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/R2K_GOP.png

That's research 2000 poll.

Anybody have a right-wing poll showing the Repugs not relegated to being a Southern (racist) party?
Why don't you post the same data and graphs about democrats?

Wild Cobra
09-27-2009, 10:24 AM
22% have a favorable opinion of the Republicans at the DailyKos. That is alot higher than I would have thought. I bet you they get all their news from MSNBC and NYT.
No kidding. 22% from one of their polls is unbelievable good!

mookie2001
09-27-2009, 11:41 AM
OU is going to be ranked like 6 for some reason

boutons_deux
09-27-2009, 12:50 PM
"Why don't you post the same data and graphs about democrats?"

I'm counting on you for Fair and Balanced

Cry Havoc
09-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Advertisers have been doing this to intelligent people for centuries.

Centuries. Really? Centuries?

Nbadan
09-30-2009, 12:38 AM
I think the the health insurance industry is getting so desperate that they are paying off some pollster (rasmussen)

The GOP has it's own pollsters...

pNui_1lYdR8