PDA

View Full Version : Golden State Warriors will consider trading disgruntled star Stephen Jackson

usdane
09-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Hands off he already belongs to the Lakers. We'll send them Sasha and Walton + garbage picks for S. Jackson and Randolph.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4504553

Warriors' Jackson still captain if no deal

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Coach Don Nelson and the Golden State Warriors (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=gsw) will consider trading disgruntled star Stephen Jackson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=378) if the team can find the right situation.
"If it's good for the team, we'll look at it," Nelson said Friday. "It has nothing to do with Jack or a request. But we'll accommodate him if we can, if it's good for him and it's good for us we'd certainly look at it. ... We wouldn't give him away."
http://assets.espn.go.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/378.jpg
Jackson
Until then, Nelson will embrace Jackson despite Golden State's leading scorer and top defender saying he wanted to be dealt to a winner.
Jackson will remain a captain for the Warriors this season as long as he's in the Bay Area and Nelson doesn't expect the emotional swingman to be a distraction in the locker room for a young roster that surely will be looking to him as a leader.
Last month, Jackson told Dime Magazine at an event in New York that he wanted out and had made that known to the Warriors brass. But he signed a three-year contract extension in November and is someone the Warriors had considered an integral part of their long-term plans.
At least that used to be the case.
"He's disappointed some people around here the way that he did it," Nelson said. "I legitimately love Jack. We're good friends. I understand Jack, I think I do. I can coach him. He's my captain. He's still a leader on the team. If he's here he's going to try the best he can to win games."
And Jackson is expected to attend the Warriors' media day Monday and be in uniform for the start of training camp Tuesday. Nelson isn't planning a "special meeting" with Jackson but said he would speak to him next week.
"It's not about a decision I made," Jackson told the magazine while with former Warriors teammate Al Harrington (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=308) at an event sponsored by their shoe company. "It's just things are in the air right now. I really can't get too much into it right now, but I'm just looking to go somewhere where I can go and win a championship."
Early last season Nelson said he talked to Jackson about this very topic, the fact Jackson might have a tough time with losing while playing for a rebuilding franchise -- and Nelson mentioned that at some point Jackson might want to look to leave. But that was before the Warriors gave Jackson the extension.
"It took a year but I guess he decided to," Nelson said. "It is what it is. We'll try to accommodate him if it works out and it's the right thing for the team. If it's not, then he'll be here."
Jackson averaged 20.7 points, 5.1 rebounds and 6.5 assists in 59 games last season, but fans and team officials now certainly have to be questioning his loyalty.
Since Jackson arrived in the Bay Area in a trade with the Indiana Pacers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=ind) in January 2007, he has rebounded from a rocky past to become a key piece for Nelson and a major spark for the Warriors. He helped the team end a 12-year playoff drought that year and reach the postseason's second round, and Golden State helped him repair his image.
The Warriors shocked Dallas in the 2007 playoffs, Golden State's lone postseason trip since 1994. The 2008 squad barely missed the postseason despite winning 48 games, the most by a non-playoff NBA team in a quarter-century.
General manager Larry Riley said Friday he would treat a potential trade of Jackson as he would any other deal -- exploring what makes the most sense for the team. In the meantime, he's not concerned about how Nelson will handle Jackson.
"I'm glad to have Nellie on board as our coach because he can coach players who at one time or another maybe had some kind of an issue," Riley said. "I don't consider this as something that can't be worked through. I think it will be. I'm approaching it that way."
Riley, previously an assistant general manager since November and before that an assistant on the bench under Nelson, was promoted to GM in May when the team cut ties with Chris Mullin (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=582), executive vice president of basketball operations and formerly one of the most popular players in franchise history.
Jackson isn't the first high-profile player to make it known he wants out of Oakland. Gilbert Arenas (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=974) wasn't happy, then Baron Davis (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=194) bolted for the Los Angeles Clippers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=lac) before last season and Harrington was eventually traded to the Knicks, too.
"Isn't that funny?" Nelson said. "The most beautiful place in the world other than Maui. I just don't get it. I guess we just haven't been good enough for long enough. I think we can change that. I hope so."
On another note, Nelson said Friday he plans to fulfill the remaining two years on his contract and then has offered his services for the following year -- in whatever capacity the team wants -- free of charge.
He thought about it over the summer and recently told team president Robert Rowell.
"I think he was in shock," said Nelson, who last fall received a two-year extension. "He didn't speak. I don't think he'd heard that one before. ... Just to say thanks and that I appreciate the extension they gave me. I just want to give something back."

Ditty
09-25-2009, 06:43 PM
finley,bonner and mason for jackson

redzero
09-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Eh, the Hornets could use another aging jump shooter with a bad contract.

BlackSwordsMan
09-25-2009, 07:00 PM
3 point shooter with no defense?
mavs bound

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-25-2009, 07:16 PM
3 point shooter with no defense?
mavs bound

Any Spurs fan who says Stephen Jackson plays no defense is retarded.

23LeBronJames23
09-25-2009, 07:16 PM
he wanted to go to cleveland btw

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-25-2009, 07:21 PM
^He'd be a great fit on Cleveland.

Bob Lanier
09-25-2009, 07:43 PM
ESPN, where anyone is a "star."

kamikazi_player
09-25-2009, 07:48 PM
lol @ the idiot that said Jackson plays no d

Culburn369
09-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Jackson disgruntled? Christ, he's been on the rag since day one.

manufan10
09-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Jackson disgruntled? Christ, he's been on the rag since day one.

:lol

One of the best things you've said.

tee, hee

Culburn369
09-25-2009, 08:18 PM
He started here, in Phoenix, and he was a problem then. They ushered him out of town quickly & quietly.

mogrovejo
09-25-2009, 09:53 PM
^He'd be a great fit on Cleveland.

Agreed.

Culburn369
09-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Agreed.

Oh, yeah, that'll work...Shaq & Jackson racing each other to see who can show their ass first & foremost.

Brazil
09-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Oh, yeah, that'll work...Shaq & Jackson racing each other to see who can show their ass first & foremost.
:lol

baseline bum
09-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Jack would be deadly in Cleveland; he might be enough to put them over the top. The Cavs desperately need shooters who can hit the three in the pressure games, and Jackson has been an absolute monster in big playoff games in his two trips in 03 and 07.

Culburn369
09-25-2009, 11:25 PM
bum, he's as crazy as a shithouse rat.

baseline bum
09-25-2009, 11:56 PM
He's no Artest.

Culburn369
09-25-2009, 11:59 PM
He's no Artest.

Artest has a good heart.

Jackson's heart is painted black.

manufan10
09-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Artest has a good heart.

Jackson's heart is painted black.

Only because he's a Laker. :toast

IronMexican
09-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Jackson would be great if he lands for any of the contenders. Those would probably be the only teams to keep him content.

23LeBronJames23
09-26-2009, 12:28 AM
Artest has a good heart.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

dont make me laugh

Culburn369
09-26-2009, 03:52 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

dont make me laugh

Yer gettin' closer by the day to when you do laugh will be more seldom than you can ever imagine. You've been Daddy'ed and you don't even realize how porked you are.

But, you will.

ducks
09-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Jack would be deadly in Cleveland; he might be enough to put them over the top. The Cavs desperately need shooters who can hit the three in the pressure games, and Jackson has been an absolute monster in big playoff games in his two trips in 03 and 07.

he shot terrible last postseason he was in

lotr1trekkie
09-26-2009, 10:50 AM
How does Jax fit with the Cavs? James is the #1 choice[75% of the time]. Shaq is #2. MO is #3. Jax as the fourth option---no way!

monosylab1k
09-26-2009, 11:16 AM
he shot terrible last postseason he was in

i know, right?

BHSguZbGK0w

DPG21920
09-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Question for Mav fans:

Would you be happy if there was a J-ho for Jax swap? Or what about a Marion for Jax swap?

BlackBellamy
09-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Here's one point of view...

by
Jonathan Slotter, Bleacher report

Scribe Written on August 29, 2009
OAKLAND, CA

Stephen Jackson, according to reports, told reporters that he would like to be traded to a contender. He mentioned the Cleveland Cavaliers and the three Texas teams as possible places he would like to go. While Cleveland would be a nice fit, I think Houston makes the most sense for Jackson.

1. Hometown:

Jackson went to Port Arthur Memorial High School which is about an hour outside of Houston before he went to play at Oak Hill Academy. He also lives in Houston during the offseason so this transition would be quite an easy one. He could retire there, keep his home and family there and be right at home.

While there would be no hometown discount for Jackson, who just signed a huge 3 year extension with the Warriors, the Rockets would need to dump McGrady's contract to make this more of a plausible situation.

2. Style of Play:

The Rockets without Yao have stated they would like to run more. This seems to be right up Jackson's ally. With the tallest players on the team being Scola, Landry, and newly acquired Australian center David Andersen, the Rockets will need to outrun a lot of teams in order to tire out the other team's big men.

With that being said, the lack of height in the front court can be made up with nice size at the two and three positions. If Jackson was added to the team, the two and three would be Ariza, Battier, and Jackson, all over 6'8 and long, tall, good defenders.

Jackson would also bring the same toughness and grittiness that Artest brings. Jackson plays tough, plays good defense on the best defender, and provides the same emotion Artest does. Jackson is a competitor who loves to play the game.

3. Rockets Need a Playmaker:

With the exit of Artest, McGrady permanently shelved, and Yao done for the year, the Rockets need someone who can create off the dribble and provide teammates with opportunities. Other than Aaron Brooks, no one on the Rockets can do this.

Jackson, who averaged 21 points, seven assists and five rebounds, can do it all. He creates off the dribble for teammates, his own shot, as well as gives opportunities for shooters and post players.

The Rockets have plenty of shooters in Brooks, Ariza, and Battier but pressure will be needed to relieve Brooks. Jackson would be the perfect compliment. Also, the length of Ariza, Battier, and Jackson would rival the Lakers with Odom, Kobe, and Artest. The Rockets are already solid on defense but will need to have consistent offense to keep up in the west.

Also don't forget in the month of February, pretty much the only month Jackson was completely healthy, he averaged 27 points, eight assists, and six rebounds. This rivals Lebron, Kobe, and D-Wade.

4. Contender:

The Rockets are a contender in the West, and showed last year in the playoffs that they don't need Yao to win. The Rockets are a contender in the West, and showed last year in the playoffs that they don't need Yao to win. The one thing they were lacking, as I stated earlier, was a consistent scorer (which Artest did not provide) and a big man, which they seem to have found in Andersen, well he will at least suffice.

The Spurs picked up Richard Jefferson, the Cavs have Shaq and play perhaps the slowest game in the world, and the Mavs are headed in the wrong direction. Houston is young, up and coming, with all the tools, and his hometown, with the correct style of play to entice the Captain to come play for them.

nkdlunch
09-26-2009, 02:07 PM
shit, I'd sign Jax in a second. Dude is clutch and a mav killer

kamikazi_player
09-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Here's one point of view...

by
Jonathan Slotter, Bleacher report

Scribe Written on August 29, 2009
OAKLAND, CA

Stephen Jackson, according to reports, told reporters that he would like to be traded to a contender. He mentioned the Cleveland Cavaliers and the three Texas teams as possible places he would like to go. While Cleveland would be a nice fit, I think Houston makes the most sense for Jackson.

1. Hometown:

Jackson went to Port Arthur Memorial High School which is about an hour outside of Houston before he went to play at Oak Hill Academy. He also lives in Houston during the offseason so this transition would be quite an easy one. He could retire there, keep his home and family there and be right at home.

While there would be no hometown discount for Jackson, who just signed a huge 3 year extension with the Warriors, the Rockets would need to dump McGrady's contract to make this more of a plausible situation.

2. Style of Play:

The Rockets without Yao have stated they would like to run more. This seems to be right up Jackson's ally. With the tallest players on the team being Scola, Landry, and newly acquired Australian center David Andersen, the Rockets will need to outrun a lot of teams in order to tire out the other team's big men.

With that being said, the lack of height in the front court can be made up with nice size at the two and three positions. If Jackson was added to the team, the two and three would be Ariza, Battier, and Jackson, all over 6'8 and long, tall, good defenders.

Jackson would also bring the same toughness and grittiness that Artest brings. Jackson plays tough, plays good defense on the best defender, and provides the same emotion Artest does. Jackson is a competitor who loves to play the game.

3. Rockets Need a Playmaker:

With the exit of Artest, McGrady permanently shelved, and Yao done for the year, the Rockets need someone who can create off the dribble and provide teammates with opportunities. Other than Aaron Brooks, no one on the Rockets can do this.

Jackson, who averaged 21 points, seven assists and five rebounds, can do it all. He creates off the dribble for teammates, his own shot, as well as gives opportunities for shooters and post players.

The Rockets have plenty of shooters in Brooks, Ariza, and Battier but pressure will be needed to relieve Brooks. Jackson would be the perfect compliment. Also, the length of Ariza, Battier, and Jackson would rival the Lakers with Odom, Kobe, and Artest. The Rockets are already solid on defense but will need to have consistent offense to keep up in the west.

Also don't forget in the month of February, pretty much the only month Jackson was completely healthy, he averaged 27 points, eight assists, and six rebounds. This rivals Lebron, Kobe, and D-Wade.

4. Contender:

The Rockets are a contender in the West, and showed last year in the playoffs that they don't need Yao to win. The Rockets are a contender in the West, and showed last year in the playoffs that they don't need Yao to win. The one thing they were lacking, as I stated earlier, was a consistent scorer (which Artest did not provide) and a big man, which they seem to have found in Andersen, well he will at least suffice.

The Spurs picked up Richard Jefferson, the Cavs have Shaq and play perhaps the slowest game in the world, and the Mavs are headed in the wrong direction. Houston is young, up and coming, with all the tools, and his hometown, with the correct style of play to entice the Captain to come play for them.
:tu good post.
I still want him in the Spurs uni though

BlackBellamy
09-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Question for Mav fans:

Would you be happy if there was a J-ho for Jax swap? Or what about a Marion for Jax swap?

Thought I'd bump this. I'd like to hear Mavs fans opinion of the above question put forth. Seems plausible enough.