PDA

View Full Version : Palin, small-c conservative/libertarian, takes on the Fed

mogrovejo
09-25-2009, 07:50 PM
http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2009/09/23/palin-sounding-like-ron-paul-takes-on-the-fed/

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin fired a shot at the Federal Reserve in her coming-out speech in Hong Kong today, blaming the central bank for the current crisis and disagreeing with the idea that the Fed should have a greater role in preventing the next crisis. It was an echo of fellow Republican and Texas congressman Ron Paul, who has led the charge in Congress to perform an audit of the Federal Reserve with an eye to eventually eliminating it.

“How can we discuss reform without addressing the government policies at the root of the problems? The root of the collapse? And how can we think that setting up the Fed as the monitor of systemic risk in the financial sector will result in meaningful reform?” she said. “The words ‘fox’ and ‘henhouse’ come to mind. The Fed’s decisions helped create the bubble. Look at the root cause of most asset bubbles, and you’ll see the Fed somewhere in the background.”

More generally, Mrs. Palin took the tack that the financial crisis occurred because government got in the way of free enterprise.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/24/us/politics/24palin.html?_r=1&hp

Sarah Palin, in what was billed as her first speech overseas, spoke on Wednesday to Asian bankers, investors and fund managers.
A number of people who heard the speech in a packed hotel ballroom, which was closed to the media, said Mrs. Palin spoke from notes for 90 minutes and that she was articulate, well-prepared and even compelling.
“The speech was wide-ranging, very balanced, and she beat all expectations,” said Doug A. Coulter, head of private equity in the Asia-Pacific region for LGT Capital Partners.
“She didn’t sound at all like a far-right-wing conservative. She seemed to be positioning herself as a libertarian or a small-c conservative,” he said, adding that she mentioned both Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher. “She brought up both those names.”
(…)
Mr. Goodé, a New Yorker who said he would never vote for Mrs. Palin, said she acquitted herself well.
“They really prepared her well,” he said. “She was articulate and she held her own. I give her credit. They’ve tried to categorize her as not being bright. She’s bright.”

spursncowboys
09-25-2009, 07:58 PM
She went overseas and didn't apologize for America? Did she atleast talk mostly about herself and put "I" in the first seven sentences? If not then she's a wingnut.

nuclearfm
09-25-2009, 08:45 PM
I guarantee she didn't write nor understand this speech. You don't transition overnight like this...

SouthernFried
09-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Go Sarah!

spursncowboys
09-25-2009, 10:04 PM
I guarantee she didn't write nor understand this speech. You don't transition overnight like this...
You make it sound like she was stupid before. Granted she hasn't written two books about herself.

hope4dopes
09-25-2009, 10:19 PM
You make it sound like she was stupid before. Granted she hasn't written two books about herself.
from what I understand Bill Ayers wrote alot of one of those books.let's give credit where credit is due.

coyotes_geek
09-25-2009, 10:28 PM

Pretty much. She's just trying to market herself to the Ron Paul niche.

SpurNation
09-25-2009, 10:30 PM
I don't know...I would think she has as much a chance for running for president as somebody who spent their life as a community organizer...voted into senate... only to spend most of their senate term campaigning for president.

Why is she being asked (by prominent people) to speak at these events if she was so undesirable and unqualified?

Not that I'm saying I think she has any more qualifications to run this country as say our current president. That only goes to show...what do "qualifications" have to do with it?

iggypop123
09-26-2009, 01:10 AM
her effect has worn off and its likely to go to huckabee or romney. but chuck norris pushes huckabee to the top

boutons_deux
09-26-2009, 06:33 AM
"the government policies at the root of the problems"

The govt gave the financial sector the policies the financial sector wanted (kill Glass-Steagal, forbidding regulation of derivatives, non-enforcement of federal loan regulations, non-policing of predatory lenders, etc).

Why doesn't she go after the real culprits?

Is pitbull bitch therefore ready to reinstate Glass-Steagal, regulate derivatives?

Blaming govt for EVERYTHING is as truthful as creationism. Of course, the same crowd believes both fantasies.

NoOptionB
09-26-2009, 08:01 AM
I guarantee she didn't write nor understand this speech.

Neither does Obama.

blah blah annnnnnnndd blah blah *teleprompter breaks* fuck! errrrr breathalyzer uuhhh annnnnd

Wild Cobra
09-26-2009, 11:37 AM
her effect has worn off and its likely to go to huckabee or romney. but chuck norris pushes huckabee to the top
If you say so. She's my first pick, but I'd be happy with either Huckabee or Romney.

spursncowboys
09-26-2009, 12:00 PM
If you say so. She's my first pick, but I'd be happy with either Huckabee or Romney.
Pawlenty, Guilianni, or Palin would be a good leader of the free world. No DC elites though. Definitely not Scarborough.

Shastafarian
09-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Because someone who can't handle an interview with Katie Couric would do well in pressure situations. I love the thinking on that. Oh and then when another pressure situation arose she just up and quit. I don't understand how people think Palin would be even serviceable as President. It baffles me.

angrydude
09-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Just another neocon lying through her teeth in hopes of fooling conservatives again, and crowding out any newcomers. They tend to do that when they're trying to get elected.

And if govt. didn't listen to the wall street banks, they wouldn't get that deregulation. (though the central bank is primarily to blame for what is happening)

SnakeBoy
09-26-2009, 12:42 PM
I'd be happy with either Huckabee or Romney.

If Huckabee gets the nomination I'll fucking vote for Obama.

boutons_deux
09-26-2009, 12:43 PM
"the central bank is primarily to blame"

No, it isn't. Fed inflated the housing/commodity bubble with low rates, but it was the banksters who pumped up the derivatives/CDS/CDO market into the 10s of fake $Ts.

The Repugs huge tax cut in 01, etc, using reconciliation in the Senate to ram it through, dumped 100s of $Bs of capital into the game, all searching for quick/high rates of return, often supplied to non-regulated predatory lenders.

Fed monetary policy was not the primary cause.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-26-2009, 12:55 PM

No, it isn't. Fed inflated the housing/commodity bubble with low rates, but it was the banksters who pumped up the derivatives/CDS/CDO market into the 10s of fake $Ts.

The Repugs huge tax cut in 01, etc, using reconciliation in the Senate to ram it through, dumped 100s of $Bs of capital into the game, all searching for quick/high rates of return, often supplied to non-regulated predatory lenders.

Fed monetary policy was not the primary cause.

You clearly don't understand the link between the Fed and the banking system. Like everything else on this board, you don't have a fucking clue.

boutons_deux
09-26-2009, 12:59 PM
The Fed didn't force the banks, etc to gamble themselves into bankruptcy, did it?

nuclearfm
09-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Neither does Obama.

blah blah annnnnnnndd blah blah *teleprompter breaks* fuck! errrrr breathalyzer uuhhh annnnnd

You know, some people can be oblivious to the most ridiculous things. Being intelligent does not correlate to memorizing 3000+ word speeches, but it sure does to understanding them. She does not.

spursncowboys
09-27-2009, 03:12 PM
You know, some people can be oblivious to the most ridiculous things. Being intelligent does not correlate to memorizing 3000+ word speeches, but it sure does to understanding them. She does not.
You have no facts to base that on.
Palin ran a successful govt. Obama hasn't. This is Obama's first real job.

boutons_deux
09-27-2009, 03:59 PM
"Palin ran a successful govt"

:lol :lol :lol list her successes! :lol :lol

She was working it so well her disapproval rating exceeded her approvals, and the Repug legislature denied her key appointment.

AND THEN SHE COLD TURKEY QUIT :lol

success? :lol :lol :lol

iggypop123
09-27-2009, 04:30 PM
"Palin ran a successful govt"

:lol :lol :lol list her successes! :lol :lol

She was working it so well her disapproval rating exceeded her approvals, and the Repug legislature denied her key appointment.

AND THEN SHE COLD TURKEY QUIT :lol

success? :lol :lol :lol

in her mind its still a success cause when she left it wasnt her problem anymore so quitting benefited her

George Gervin's Afro
09-27-2009, 05:25 PM
You have no facts to base that on.
Palin ran a successful govt. Obama hasn't. This is Obama's first real job.

was that before she quit? I guess since Obama hasn't quit midway during his intial term we can say he's not a quitter.. do you prefer quitters?

spursncowboys
09-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Has Obama had a real job before this one? Highlights of Governor Palin's tenure include a successful push for an ethics bill, and also shelving pork-barrel projects supported by fellow Republicans. Palin successfully killed the Bridge to Nowhere project that had become a nationwide symbol of wasteful earmark spending. "Alaska needs to be self-sufficient, she says, instead of relying heavily on 'federal dollars,' as the state does today."
In 2007, Palin had an approval rating often in the 90s Palin's tenure is noted for her independence from big oil companies, while still promoting resource development. Palin has announced plans to create a new sub-cabinet group of advisors, to address climate change and reduce greenhouse gas emissions within Alaska. Shortly after taking office, Palin rescinded thirty-five appointments made by Murkowski in the last hour of his administration, including the appointment by Murkowski of his former chief of staff Jim Clark to the Alaska Natural Gas Development Authority. Clark later pled guilty to conspiring with a defunct oil-field-services company to channel money into Frank Murkowski's re-election campaign In response to high oil and gas prices, and in response to the resulting state government budget surplus, Palin proposed giving Alaskans $100-a-month energy debit cards. She also proposed providing grants to electrical utilities so that they would reduce customers' rates. She subsequently dropped the debit card proposal, and in its place she proposed to send Alaskans $1,200 directly and eliminate the gas taxPalin's first veto was used to block legislation that would have barred the state from granting benefits to the partners of gay state employees. In effect, her veto granted State of Alaska benefits to same-sex couples.
Palin's first veto was used to block legislation that would have barred the state from granting benefits to the partners of gay state employees. In effect, her veto granted State of Alaska benefits to same-sex couples.
Shortly after becoming governor, Palin canceled a contract for the construction on an 11-mile (18-kilometer) gravel road outside of Juneau to a mine
In June 2007, Palin signed into law a $6.6 billion operating budget—the largest in Alaska's history.At the same time, she used her veto power to make the second-largest cuts of the construction budget in state history. The $237 million in cuts represented over 300 local projects, and reduced the construction budget to nearly $1.6 billion.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080829095059AAuKplc

George Gervin's Afro
09-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Has Obama had a real job before this one? Highlights of Governor Palin's tenure include a successful push for an ethics bill, and also shelving pork-barrel projects supported by fellow Republicans. Palin successfully killed the Bridge to Nowhere project that had become a nationwide symbol of wasteful earmark spending. "Alaska needs to be self-sufficient, she says, instead of relying heavily on 'federal dollars,' as the state does today."
In 2007, Palin had an approval rating often in the 90s Palin's tenure is noted for her independence from big oil companies, while still promoting resource development. Palin has announced plans to create a new sub-cabinet group of advisors, to address climate change and reduce greenhouse gas emissions within Alaska. Shortly after taking office, Palin rescinded thirty-five appointments made by Murkowski in the last hour of his administration, including the appointment by Murkowski of his former chief of staff Jim Clark to the Alaska Natural Gas Development Authority. Clark later pled guilty to conspiring with a defunct oil-field-services company to channel money into Frank Murkowski's re-election campaign In response to high oil and gas prices, and in response to the resulting state government budget surplus, Palin proposed giving Alaskans $100-a-month energy debit cards. She also proposed providing grants to electrical utilities so that they would reduce customers' rates. She subsequently dropped the debit card proposal, and in its place she proposed to send Alaskans $1,200 directly and eliminate the gas taxPalin's first veto was used to block legislation that would have barred the state from granting benefits to the partners of gay state employees. In effect, her veto granted State of Alaska benefits to same-sex couples.
Palin's first veto was used to block legislation that would have barred the state from granting benefits to the partners of gay state employees. In effect, her veto granted State of Alaska benefits to same-sex couples.
Shortly after becoming governor, Palin canceled a contract for the construction on an 11-mile (18-kilometer) gravel road outside of Juneau to a mine
In June 2007, Palin signed into law a $6.6 billion operating budget—the largest in Alaska's history.At the same time, she used her veto power to make the second-largest cuts of the construction budget in state history. The $237 million in cuts represented over 300 local projects, and reduced the construction budget to nearly $1.6 billion.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080829095059AAuKplc

but she quit before her term ended.. do you support quitters?

Wild Cobra
09-27-2009, 07:22 PM
but she quit before her term ended.. do you support quitters?
After all the slander have been dispelled, that's all you have.

Well guess what. I think she made the right decision for two very good reasons. I have stated these in the past, but you are either too stupid or too partisan to care.

Do I need to repeat myself?

spursncowboys
09-27-2009, 07:29 PM
but she quit before her term ended.. do you support quitters? But she did the job when she had the job. Can you say that about Obama in the Senate? Did he really represent the people of Illinois while campaigning. How many times did he miss a vote or vote present? How many times was he there to hammer out and debate bills?

Shastafarian
09-27-2009, 07:35 PM

Well guess what. I think she made the right decision for two very good reasons. I have stated these in the past, but you are either too stupid or too partisan to care.

So someone is either stupid or partisan if they disagree with your justification of a quitter's motives?

Wild Cobra
09-27-2009, 07:38 PM
So someone is either stupid or partisan if they disagree with your justification of a quitter's motives?
So you remember my motives. What were they?

Shastafarian
09-27-2009, 07:46 PM
So you remember my motives. What were they?

Your motives for defending a quitter?

Wild Cobra
09-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Your motives for defending a quitter?
If that's what you wish to call them.

Stop stalling. Do you know why I support her resignation or not?

Shastafarian
09-27-2009, 07:57 PM
If that's what you wish to call them.I think you need to re-read my original post.

Stop stalling. Do you know why I support her resignation or not?
Sure I do. I disagree. Does that make me stupid or partisan or just both?

George Gervin's Afro
09-27-2009, 08:02 PM
But she did the job when she had the job. Can you say that about Obama in the Senate? Did he really represent the people of Illinois while campaigning. How many times did he miss a vote or vote present? How many times was he there to hammer out and debate bills?

ok so he's not a quitter and she is..good luck with that in 2012..

boutons_deux
09-27-2009, 08:03 PM
"she did the job when she had the job"

other than sticking the energy co's for higher royalties, which just happened to enrich her family $20K+/year, what jobs did she do?

Wild Cobra
09-27-2009, 08:04 PM
I think you need to re-read my original post.
Because someone who can't handle an interview with Katie Couric would do well in pressure situations. I love the thinking on that. Oh and then when another pressure situation arose she just up and quit. I don't understand how people think Palin would be even serviceable as President. It baffles me.
I disagree with her not handling an interview that was edited. Did you watch the unedited video I linked at least twice in the past now? As for my reasons, I don't believe you remember. If you did, you could say you didn't believe me, but I have credible reasons. If you honestly disagree that my reasons for supporting her resignation, then how can you claim it's out of partisanship? I would apply the same standards to a liberal if they resigned under the same circumstances.

I think you're lying. You don't remember why I supported her resignation. Humor me. Tell me why I supported it.

George Gervin's Afro
09-27-2009, 08:04 PM

oh i remember it was tough on her family and she got out before things got real hot... fine leader!

Wild Cobra
09-27-2009, 08:05 PM
oh i remember it was tough on her family and she got out before things got real hot... fine leader!
That wasn't my two reasons for accepting it. Try again. The family is a third reason to consider.

George Gervin's Afro
09-27-2009, 08:08 PM
That wasn't my two reasons for accepting it. Try again. The family is a third reason to consider.

it was the partian with hunts and she didn't want to waste AK resources to defend herself... if she's afraid of AK dems what would the bad guys do to her?

Shastafarian
09-27-2009, 08:09 PM
So someone is either stupid or partisan if they disagree with your justification of a quitter's motives?This one. The original post you just responded to.

I disagree with her not handling an interview that was edited. Did you watch the unedited video I linked at least twice in the past now? As for my reasons, I don't believe you remember. If you did, you could say you didn't believe me, but I have credible reasons. If you honestly disagree that my reasons for supporting her resignation, then how can you claim it's out of partisanship?She quit because she couldn't handle the job. How is this refutable?

I would apply the same standards to a liberal if they resigned under the same circumstances.Funny.

I think you're lying. You don't remember why I supported her resignation. Humor me. Tell me why I supported it.
LAWSUITS!!! AGGHHHHH!!! Too many. Can't. Go. On. Must. Resign.

Wild Cobra
09-27-2009, 08:22 PM
it was the partian with hunts and she didn't want to waste AK resources to defend herself... if she's afraid of AK dems what would the bad guys do to her?
At least you're close.

Yes on the waste of Alaska resources.

My second reason was it was preferable to already have her choice of an incumbent in place before the next election.

Shasta's reasons following yours are really hyped. At least you are being honest. Thanks.

As for those attacking her, I made a clear distinction why it wouldn't be the same distraction as president. Remember why by chance?

Shastafarian
09-27-2009, 08:39 PM
My second reason was it was preferable to already have her choice of an incumbent in place before the next election.

Then I guess all politicians who don't plan on seeking a second term should just quit half-way through. Make it all working people. Hey, I don't plan on working at my job into May of next year. I might as well just quit now right?

DarkReign
09-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Well, at least she is finding some use for herself. She's famous enough to at least bring some attention to the Fed, but I find it curious she wouldnt state these beliefs while in office.

Thats conviction...you betcha.

rjv
09-28-2009, 10:12 AM
palin supporters-willing to substitute government subordination for corporate subordination.

mogrovejo
09-28-2009, 10:18 AM
"the government policies at the root of the problems"

The govt gave the financial sector the policies the financial sector wanted (kill Glass-Steagal, forbidding regulation of derivatives, non-enforcement of federal loan regulations, non-policing of predatory lenders, etc).

Why doesn't she go after the real culprits?.

When a government is so permeable to special interests, you ought to go after the government. The alternative would be to exterminate the human race.

(I don't completely agree with Ron Paul et all stance that the Fed is the root of all evil, btw - they seem to forget there were bubbles and financial crisis before the FED or even the existence of fiduciary money.)

By the way, how exactly would Glass-Steagal (which was repeealed by Bill Clinton) would have prevented the crisis? Regulations are always great to prevent the causes of the last crisis, but they generally don't work on preventing the next one.

rjv
09-28-2009, 10:20 AM
When a government is so permeable to special interests, you ought to go after the government. The alternative would be to exterminate the human race.

sounds like a movie poster theme.

mogrovejo
09-28-2009, 10:24 AM

Because there was too much liquidity in the market caused by the Fed's monetary policies.

angrydude
09-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Because there was too much liquidity in the market caused by the Fed's monetary policies.

exactly. It's like giving a 2 year old a cookie and expecting them not to eat it after you told them they could eat it, or in our govt's case, told them they should eat it.

When money is too cheap, after all the safe investments are gone, people have to go to the risky ones to get the same level of return. That is why cheap money leads to malinvestment.

Though I guess BD is right in the sense that since the banks themselves make up the FED they're giving themselves the cookie.