PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is Manu doing to his foot?

nuclearfm
09-25-2009, 11:44 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3693557&id=71769686933

Samr
09-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Looks like the technology they use for video games. The game designers cover real people with these white dots, then they get them to act out a sequence of movements. The dots serve as markers for limbs, parts of the structure, face etc and are charted and recorded on the computer. Then they are translated into graphics to allow for "realistic" movement for the characters in the game.

I'm not that geeky I promise you. I saw this on the making of "Jackass: The Game" on MTV.

In Manu's context, I'm guessing the Spurs or doctors are using this technology to record his foot's movement during various activities (shooting, running, cutting etc) and analyzing the charts. They're probably trying to see which aspects of his movement produce the most stress and unnecessary stress on his foot, then trying to correct that.

I'm no doctor, but this sounds like a logical thing to do with a person you're investing millions in. It's like when you go to get insoles, and the doctor has you walk on a special pad to record your impact zones and designs the insole accordingly. Like that, but about 100X more expensive and accurate.

DAF86
09-26-2009, 12:56 AM
That ankle looks swollen.

slick'81
09-26-2009, 01:00 AM
our entire season probably rests on that foot

raspsa
09-26-2009, 01:06 AM
motion capture..

MaNuMaNiAc
09-26-2009, 02:42 AM

this

Why the fuck does it look so swollen?

mookie2001
09-26-2009, 02:49 AM
this

why does it?
dont you have any inside information

Slomo
09-26-2009, 02:52 AM
Looks like the technology they use for video games. The game designers cover real people with these white dots, then they get them to act out a sequence of movements. The dots serve as markers for limbs, parts of the structure, face etc and are charted and recorded on the computer. Then they are translated into graphics to allow for "realistic" movement for the characters in the game.

I'm not that geeky I promise you. I saw this on the making of "Jackass: The Game" on MTV.

In Manu's context, I'm guessing the Spurs or doctors are using this technology to record his foot's movement during various activities (shooting, running, cutting etc) and analyzing the charts. They're probably trying to see which aspects of his movement produce the most stress and unnecessary stress on his foot, then trying to correct that.

I'm no doctor, but this sounds like a logical thing to do with a person you're investing millions in. It's like when you go to get insoles, and the doctor has you walk on a special pad to record your impact zones and designs the insole accordingly. Like that, but about 100X more expensive and accurate.

Those are IR reflective dots that can be tracked in a 3D space through a video camera and special software. If you then generate a 3D model and define where the points are attached you can make the 3D object move in space exactly as the original body (Manu's foot in this case). That part is easy.
Is the technology accurate enough to actually observe bones, ligaments, etc. for a medical purpose? I'm not sure. I guess it's possible.

raspsa
09-26-2009, 05:02 AM

looks fine...

NZ Spurs
09-26-2009, 06:00 AM
:lol raspa said in two words all of what took samr four paragraphs to say!

The Final Countdown
09-26-2009, 06:42 AM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/foot.gif

Chieflion
09-26-2009, 06:45 AM
No biggie. Just a new procedure they are trying out on Manu. It is not going to cause him foot cancer.

The Final Countdown
09-26-2009, 06:46 AM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/foot2.gif

boutons_deux
09-26-2009, 07:00 AM
If that's Manu's ankle in late September, we are fucked.

He's fat or has lower-leg edema.

Manu has fair skin, and that skin, esp under direct flash, is not fair.

Russ
09-26-2009, 07:15 AM

It's hard to tell. If the swelling was really bad, it would spread from the ankle and the veins on his instep would not be visible.

That said, if Manu can't return to form (and stay there) the moves to get RJ, DuJuan Blair and McDyess likely won't mean a thing.

sonic21
09-26-2009, 07:23 AM
CIA Manu, he's posting an old pic of his foot.

Else i'm worried.

ducks
09-26-2009, 09:05 AM
this

facebook is hard work

ducks
09-26-2009, 09:06 AM

that is why spurs got jefferson
they know they can not count on injury prone no playoff manu

ducks
09-26-2009, 09:07 AM
our entire season probably rests on that foot

bull shit
manu 100% healthy
duncan and tp hurt
spurs have no chance
spurs have more talent this year without or with manu then last year

alchemist
09-26-2009, 10:06 AM
The ankle does look swollen, fortunately our hopes don't rest on Ginobili's foot this year, sure we would all love for him to be 100% this year going into the playoffs but the Spurs have added a lot more help this season. With or without Manu I'm so excited for this season, cannot wait for tip off.

Samr
09-26-2009, 10:17 AM
:lol raspa said in two words all of what took samr four paragraphs to say!

They asked about the purpose of the dots, not if the foot looks good to play.

jalberto
09-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Just a poll:rollin

pjjrfan
09-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Pictures can sometimes be misleading. But that ankle looks swollen. Just look at anyone's healthy ankle and then look at that picture, it looks swollen. But like I said pictures can be misleading because of lighting, angles, whatever. I hope that the case.

Libri
09-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Pictures can sometimes be misleading. But that ankle looks swollen. Just look at anyone's healthy ankle and then look at that picture, it looks swollen. But like I said pictures can be misleading because of lighting, angles, whatever. I hope that the case.

Exactly, because cameras add 10 pounds. :lol

FromWayDowntown
09-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Cankle.

Cherry
09-26-2009, 01:24 PM
facebook is hard work

I don´t know... ask Tony:

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2166/tonyfb.jpg

:lol

TIMMYD!
09-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Hope that picture is old

sprrs
09-26-2009, 02:02 PM

I don't imagine those things would be able to stay on his foot for some of the more active drills Manu would be doing.

timvp
09-26-2009, 02:29 PM
I'd guess that the Spurs are tracking his range of motion.

But yeah, that doesn't look like a healthy foot. Hopefully it's just a weird angle or after a grueling practice.

MaNu4Tres
09-26-2009, 02:52 PM
It does look swollen. I know its been 5-6 months since his surgery but I really hope Manu and the FO doesn't rush things so he can play in the opener. I'd be content with letting him continue his rehab til January even if it meant he would be healthy from April- June.

HarlemHeat37
09-26-2009, 03:35 PM
it does look swollen. I know its been 5-6 months since his surgery but i really hope manu and the fo doesn't rush things so he can play in the opener. I'd be content with letting him continue his rehab til january even if it meant he would be healthy from april- june.

+1..

Hemotivo
09-26-2009, 03:43 PM
I don´t know... ask Tony:

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2166/tonyfb.jpg

:lol

Jose Alberto Perez?

:wakeup

Whisky Dog
09-26-2009, 03:48 PM
It just looks like a weird angle for the shot. It doesn't look swollen just that he is leaning to the left to see the shot or take the picture. Can't tell anything off this one pic

Phenomanul
09-26-2009, 04:24 PM
In all fairness... we don't have a picture of Manu's foot before his injuries... it looks fine (besides, his foot muscles and ligaments are probably more developed than the average joe)...

Russ
09-26-2009, 07:36 PM
It looks fine? Please. It looks absolutely terrible. When I sprain my ankle and wake up the next day, it doesn't even look that bad. Like I said, tell him to take down that picture and trade him while we can still fool somebody into giving us a 1st round pick or a solid big.

People who have sprained an ankle repeatedly may have some degree of permanent swelling (I know I do). A swollen joint may be somewhat weakened but it may work just fine -- as long as he doesn't resprain it.

completely deck
09-26-2009, 07:41 PM
From Manu:

Manu Ginobili (http://www.facebook.com/ManuGinobili?ref=nf) http://bit.ly/14td7U No big deal, it was just a study but with the technology of videogames and movies, for research purposes /// Era solo un estudio, con la tecnología usada en videojuegos pelis, pero para investigación nomás. Solo me pareció cómico como quedaba mi pie, por eso compartí.

phxspurfan
09-26-2009, 08:23 PM
In all fairness... we don't have a picture of Manu's foot before his injuries... it looks fine (besides, his foot muscles and ligaments are probably more developed than the average joe)...

Ligaments aren't developed by sports. They're destroyed by sports. I just hope his ankle doesn't always look black and blue.

Phenomanul
09-27-2009, 01:46 AM
Ligaments aren't developed by sports. They're destroyed by sports. I just hope his ankle doesn't always look black and blue.

No but they are developed by stretching exercises.... Manu has always been a stretch freak...

Black and blue?? I don't see that from the picture...

raspsa
09-27-2009, 02:46 AM
This is like one of those rorschach(?) tests.. see what you want to see..

raspsa
09-27-2009, 05:22 AM
Wasn't it his tight foot that was the culprit not the left w/c is the one pictured?

jalberto
09-27-2009, 07:15 AM
Jose Alberto Perez?
:wakeup
Yes, Hemotivo, your are right!

______

First picture:
Manu Ginobili in FB: My left foot has already found its ideal Halloween outfit... No, seriously, can anybody guess what are these for?

Second Picture:
The answer : A laptop detector :rolleyes
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/7471/laptop2.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/manuginobili)

for those who don't remember, here the old laptop after Manu´s foot :
http://www.facebook.com/ManuGinobili#/photo.php?pid=2548216&id=71769686933

NoOptionB
09-27-2009, 08:34 AM
Maybe he just has cankles :lol

smeagol
09-27-2009, 09:30 AM
bull shit
manu 100% healthy
duncan and tp hurt
spurs have no chance
spurs have more talent this year without or with manu then last year

You never give up, do you?

Laker Lanny
09-27-2009, 12:05 PM
looks like your boy won't be doing much flopping this season! :lmao
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/manu-foot.jpg

nuclearfm
09-28-2009, 05:05 PM
This is still worrysome. I don't know, I think we need to continue adding to the roster. A nice 3 for 1 deal would be nice.

BillMc
09-28-2009, 05:07 PM
I really hope he's okay. It's hard to tell from the photo. Hopefully, Pop and the Spurs medical staff keep his minutes low in the early season.

objective
09-28-2009, 07:40 PM
during the ksat 5 o'clock sports they had footage of the Spurs in front of the green screen getting their photos taken, and it sure looked that after a pose and finish that when Manu started walking he was doing so gingerly like he was hurt.

TIMMYD!
09-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Believe.