PDA

View Full Version : Pop, the Mastermind

Kori Ellis
04-13-2005, 09:23 AM
Nice compliment to Pop from Darius Miles in the postgame. But it's probably not good that he thinks it's fun to lose.

“The Spurs – it’s always fun to play against them. You’re playing against the mastermind in Popovich. It’s always fun to play against them win or lose.”

td4mvp21
04-13-2005, 09:36 AM
He's probably so used to it he can't tell the difference anymore.

Useruser666
04-13-2005, 09:40 AM
"He who bleeds first, wins!" - Wimp Lo - Kung Pow Enter the Fist

Solid D
04-13-2005, 09:45 AM
The Mastermind pulled out an old Yiddish word to describe his own team. He thinks the Spurs have "chutzpah". The way Pop used the word, I think, was as though it means guts or fortitude. I think the truer meaning might be gall, audacity, boldness or brashness, or more than "all that" or frontin' a bit in the street vernacular.

T Park
04-13-2005, 10:07 AM
Pop, a mastermind???

Boy, aggie will hate this thread.

Darius Miles is obviously another popsucking homer.

wildbill2u
04-13-2005, 10:07 AM
When you read about the high regard that players and other coaches have for Pop's coaching, his system, his canny draft picks and the way he treats his players, it makes his lilliputian know-it-all critics (especially after a loss) look silly.

timvp
04-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Miles burned the Spurs this season. They haven't been able to guard him at all.

It sounds like Miles has come a long ways since his rookie year in regards to interviews. Back then, I heard him try to make the word "tests" plural. It came out something like, "I coulda gone to college but I didn't get good enough grades in the testsises."

I'm not kidding.

:smokin

T Park
04-13-2005, 10:14 AM
well, Darius was never known to have a brain.

Kori Ellis
04-13-2005, 10:15 AM
Another funny thing was when Miles was in the audience at that Town Hall meeting segment a few years ago (in the summer after his rookie year) when they were talking about NBA players needing to go to college.

Duncan, Stern, John Thompson, etc were on the panel. And Stern was going off about how the NBA has an awesome rookie program and how each rookie has a sort of counselor that is assigned to them by the league to help them with life skills, questions, etc. Stern was saying that those counselors talk with the players at least once a week. And Miles raised his hand and said that he had only talked to his counselor once all season. Stern nearly choked to death on live TV.

ducks
04-13-2005, 10:16 AM
how bad will portland blow up
I heard from scouts to coach they are out of portland

boutons
04-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Main Entry:chutzpah

Etymology:Yiddish khutspe, from Late Hebrew

: supreme self-confidence : NERVE : GALL

====================================

Miles, avg 13 PPG at that point, dropped 17 pts on the Spurs @POR ... in the 4th quarter, which beat us.

THAT is undoubtably a "fun" way to play the Spurs!! :lol

Rick Von Braun
04-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Another funny thing was when Miles was in the audience at that Town Hall meeting segment a few years ago (in the summer after his rookie year) when they were talking about NBA players needing to go to college.

Duncan, Stern, John Thompson, etc were on the panel. And Stern was going off about how the NBA has an awesome rookie program and how each rookie has a sort of counselor that is assigned to them by the league to help them with life skills, questions, etc. Stern was saying that those counselors talk with the players at least once a week. And Miles raised his hand and said that he had only talked to his counselor once all season. Stern nearly choked to death on live TV.
:lmao

Oh my... I missed it! I would have paid to see Stern's face when Miles said that... and this was on live TV!! http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Unreal!

Ishta
04-13-2005, 01:27 PM
Nice compliment to Pop from Darius Miles in the postgame. But it's probably not good that he thinks it's fun to lose.

“The Spurs – it’s always fun to play against them. You’re playing against the mastermind in Popovich. It’s always fun to play against them win or lose.”

I think he wants to come to the Spurs!!

Phenomanul
04-13-2005, 02:34 PM
I think he wants to come to the Spurs!!

Not Spurs Material.... lockeroom cancer.

timvp
04-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Darius Miles on the Spurs would be great. Put him in the Spurs' system and he'd be a monster.

T Park
04-13-2005, 02:40 PM
great talent.

Although, do you want a guy on your team that will cuss out and go racist on your coach??

Eh, Glenn Robinson is probobly worse, so what he hell, Darius Miles would be an all star at the 3 next to Duncan and Mohammed.

timvp
04-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Although, do you want a guy on your team that will cuss out and go racist on your coach??

I'm guessing if Miles called Pop a "nigga" like he did Cheeks, that Pop wouldn't be too offended.

:smokin

T Park
04-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Hed prob raise his arms and say

"Wanna throw down yo?? Ill kick yo gangsta ass millitary style biatch"

ShoogarBear
04-13-2005, 02:56 PM
well, Darius was never known to have a brain.

Okay, T Park, you gotta be consistent.

First you imply that Miles' compliment of Pop really means something.

Then you say he has no brain.

You're not the only one who does this, just the most recent. It's amazing how many times on this board "important opinion" = "somebody who agrees with me", and then in the next post "idiot" = "somebody I don't like or disagree with this statement of theirs" and it's the same person"!

(Pop, Bill Walton, and Kobe are by far the most common ones who fill this role around here.)

NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER
04-13-2005, 02:59 PM
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 041305 1500CST XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

TO: SPURS NO LIMIT ARMY
FR: SNLAC

SUBJ: COURT MARTIAL

PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT PRIVATE T PARK WILL HAVE HIS JIM CROW ASS COURT MARTIALED LATER TODAY.

T Park
04-13-2005, 03:01 PM
you gotta be consistent

huh??

Stephen Jackson said pop was the only coach that could keep him under control.

Thats a good compliment. But Stephen Jackson was dumber than a brick.

You can give a good compliment coming from a good player, but still be dumber than snot.

Come on shoog, lay off.

T Park
04-13-2005, 03:01 PM
THAT PRIVATE TPARK WILL HAVE HIS JIM CROW ASS COURT MARTIALED LATER TODAY

who is this clown?

NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER
04-13-2005, 03:07 PM
DO NOT SPEAK UNLESS I SAY YOU CAN BOY.

ShoogarBear
04-13-2005, 03:08 PM
All I'm saying is, if I thought somebody was stupid, I wouldn't be using their opinions as proof of my points. That's all.

T Park
04-13-2005, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't be using their opinions as proof of my points

Proof of my point is Miles gets alot more respect around the league than Aggie Sequ Brewski Bronx cowboy think he does.

Guy could be stupid, cause he is, and still be a good reference because of how good a player he is.

T Park
04-13-2005, 03:13 PM
DO NOT SPEAK UNLESS I SAY YOU CAN BOY.

be a good monica lewinsky and blow me.

Mr. Body
04-13-2005, 03:54 PM
That's what I was thinking last night - given the Spurs' predilection for going after players that have burned them offensively in the past, it's only a matter of time before the SA FO goes after Miles. This sounds like a great start, too. You think Pop wouldn't kill to have him coming off the bench after Bowen?

CosmicCowboy
04-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Hate to rain on you junior GM's parade but Miles is under contract till 2010 for 84 million.

Who exactly do you propose to send to the Blazers to get him?

It's not like they don't know the guy is good.

Mr. Body
04-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Didn't piss on my parade, friend. He's a Blazer. I figured he was overpaid.

timvp
04-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Hate to rain on you junior GM's parade but Miles is under contract till 2010 for 84 million.

Hate to rain on your raining of a parade but Miles' contract is for 48 million.

CosmicCowboy
04-13-2005, 04:29 PM
Hate to rain on your raining of a parade but Miles' contract is for 48 million.

ahhh...you are correct sir...I read Baby Zach's salary on the line below by mistake...but that still means he will be making about $10 mil next year...and the question still stands...what two guys would you give up for him that the Blazers would want?

timvp
04-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Rasho.

Hey, they wanted him last year. Seriously.

ChumpDumper
04-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Well, they wouldn't want him anymore, unless Pryz signs some huge deal elsewhere after next season.

kskonn
04-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Rasho.

Hey, they wanted him last year. Seriously.

Not a bad Idea. If nazi worked out.

SequSpur
04-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Pop is a mastermind, only he could lead a team to a 40 point loss against your instate rival.

IcemanCometh
04-13-2005, 09:41 PM
I wanted the Spurs to go after him last year instead of Barry. He could be a monster defender at the 3 spot, and he has great vision and handles. He can't shoot worth shit tho.

PopHater
04-13-2005, 09:42 PM
I did not see the interview, but it sounds like to me that he was being sarcastic. It's always fun to play againnst an idiot.

superjames1992
04-13-2014, 06:26 PM

Good comment by Darius Miles. The dude knows to respect CIA Pop, tbh..... :tu

TampaDude
04-14-2014, 05:33 AM
http://www.perthrc.com.au/images/detailed/17/17941.jpg

Blake
04-14-2014, 12:43 PM
Pop is a mastermind, only he could lead a team to a 40 point loss against your instate rival.

Lol they won the title a month and a half later

Solid D
04-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Lol they won the title a month and a half later

Haha, wow. 9-yr old thread. Oh, and don't judge Sequ by the accuracy of his takes. He should be viewed with unconditional love and just overlook the standards by which men are judged.

SequSpur
05-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Haha, wow. 9-yr old thread. Oh, and don't judge Sequ by the accuracy of his takes. He should be viewed with unconditional love and just overlook the standards by which men are judged.

blow me

Baseline
05-04-2014, 10:28 PM
Pop is no mastermind. He's just lucky enough to have Tim Duncan on his squad.

Yet he gift-wrapped Tim's 5th ring and handed it to LeBron by sitting him twice in the last minute of Game 6. Worst coaching move of all-time.

rmt
05-04-2014, 10:43 PM
Pop is no mastermind. He's just lucky enough to have Tim Duncan on his squad.

Yet he gift-wrapped Tim's 5th ring and handed it to LeBron by sitting him twice in the last minute of Game 6. Worst coaching move of all-time.

Not to mention the stubborness not playing Green more when he's hot or putting Green instead of Leonard on Monta. Spurs not gonna last going at this rate. They had energy for the Finals because they had 2 sweeps. This year - they'll be lucky if every series goes 6-7 and they get through.

therealtruth
05-04-2014, 11:23 PM
Not to mention the stubborness not playing Green more when he's hot or putting Green instead of Leonard on Monta. Spurs not gonna last going at this rate. They had energy for the Finals because they had 2 sweeps. This year - they'll be lucky if every series goes 6-7 and they get through.

That's what I'm thinking. The younger guys are going to have to play more because the Duncan/Ginobili can't won't be consistent for 24+ games.

ChumpDumper
05-04-2014, 11:37 PM
spurhaters need to relax.

LakerHater
05-04-2014, 11:41 PM
I dont understand why hes still tryin to rest, isnt that what he was doin durin the regular season!??

Plus, he'll put weird line ups in then he'll sub'em right out!