PDA

View Full Version : Suns had better care about where they finish

Kori Ellis
04-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Suns had better care about where they finish
By Scott Bordow, Tribune Columnist

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=39492

The question has been around forever. So has the answer.

Reporter: Who would you rather face in the playoffs?
Athlete: It doesn't matter.

Sure it does.

If the Suns finish the season with the best record in the Western Conference they'll likely play the Memphis Grizzlies in the first round of the playoffs.

Memphis has played .500 basketball the last 10 games and, because of a brutal schedule, could limp into the postseason with six straight losses.

But if Phoenix winds up with the conference's second-best record, it likely will face either the Denver Nuggets, who are 29-6 since George Karl took over as coach, or the improving Houston Rockets, who handled Phoenix at America West Arena last Saturday.

It's a clear-cut decision — to everyone except the players inside Phoenix's locker room, it seems.

The Suns beat the New Orleans Hornets, 99-85, Tuesday, but their sense of urgency called in sick.

The Hornets, who not-so-proudly own the NBA's second-worst record (18-59), led by four points early in the fourth quarter until Phoenix snapped to and took care of business.

It was an uninspired, uninterested performance by the Suns, and it continued a trend that began four games ago at Golden State.

“We're not playing well right now in terms of our energy and focus,” said center Stephen Hunter. “We've got to turn it up.”

The Suns' malaise is, in some ways, understandable. They've already accomplished far more than anyone expected this season. The Pacific Division title was theirs on March 30, and they've been looking forward to the postseason so long these past couple of weeks have seemed like an interminable lounge act.

It's also difficult for a young team to summon the energy to play dregs like New Orleans and the Los Angeles Lakers. “I can usually tell their focus by how many guys ask me the play I just drew up, and we have a lot of that right now,” said coach Mike D'Antoni. “It's a lack of concentration.”

The Suns have to be careful. Sometimes, the light doesn't go on when it's been off for so long. If they wait for the playoffs to bring their “A” game they might discover they left it behind.

“I'll be very surprised if they don't start ramping it up soon,” D'Antoni said.
Soon isn't good enough. Phoenix is one game ahead of San Antonio for the best record in the Western Conference, and the Spurs aren't going away despite the prolonged absence of Tim Duncan (ankle).

Another hiccup — say a loss to the Los Angeles Clippers on Friday — and the Suns could find themselves with an unenviable matchup against Denver or Houston.

D'Antoni knows what's at stake. The trick is convincing his players.

“It'd be nice to get homecourt advantage,” D'Antoni said. “These players want it, but I don't know how bad they want it.”

Picking on a team that's won 59 games might seem unreasonable, but expectations have changed for the Suns. Losing in the first round would be a bitter pill to swallow. Phoenix needs to reach, at the very least, the second round of the playoffs for the season to be considered a success.

Securing the No. 1 seed in the Western Conference doesn't guarantee a long postseason run.

But falling to the No. 2 seed makes the sledding far more treacherous.

boutons
04-13-2005, 10:42 AM
The writer hides the fact, which doesn't support his case, that the the ONLY team to beat the Nuggets since ASB is PHX, 2-0 vs Karl.

Solid D
04-13-2005, 10:47 AM
HCA isn't such a big deal for PHX either.

ca®lo
04-13-2005, 11:48 AM
it will when they face the spurs :)

MadDog73
04-13-2005, 11:54 AM
I was discussing this with a friend earlier.

In the 2-3-2 format, is it better to have the middle three? All Spurs would have to do is win one in PHX, then close it out in SA.

Maybe it would be better for Spurs to be 2 and Suns to be 1! (going against an argument I made earlier)

EDIT: Never Mind! But I'll leave this up as a constant reminder of my shame. :oops

G-Nob
04-13-2005, 11:56 AM
It should be 2-2-1-1-1 for the first round

Duff McCartney
04-13-2005, 11:58 AM
The 2-3-2 format doesn't come into play until the Finals.

MadDog73
04-13-2005, 12:19 PM
The 2-3-2 format doesn't come into play until the Finals.

Oh, crap. I feel stupid. I need to slap my friend now...

CosmicCowboy
04-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I'm assuming the Spurs and Suns will meet in the finals.

In that scenario, is it really better to have home-court "advantage"?

he meant THE finals...as in East/West...

exstatic
04-13-2005, 12:22 PM
They CAN'T meet in the Finals. The Spurs would play someone from the Eastern Conference if they make the Finals.

MadDog73
04-13-2005, 12:23 PM
he meant THE finals...as in East/West...

yeah, but the point is moot, since we already have homecourt against every team in the East....

I feel sooooo stupid.

Lonestar
04-13-2005, 01:18 PM
This all leads back to the same thing, the Suns are not prepared for the pressure of being #1. I still believe that Pop is sitting right where he wants to be, comfortable but lurking at #2 waiting for the kids to crack under the pressure from the fans, the media and themselves.

MadDog73
04-13-2005, 01:55 PM
I still think the Spurs will end up with the Number 1 spot in the end, whether Pop wants to or not! :)

td4mvp3
04-13-2005, 02:11 PM
wait, the spurs have hca against the east already or do they still need to win out?

CosmicCowboy
04-13-2005, 02:14 PM
Hypothetically Miami could catch the Spurs if they lose some games. Miami is currently 56-21 and Spurs are 58-20...