PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Daniels, anyone?

pensive
09-26-2009, 11:54 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h6QHGIOuYmzVWdeOlg8j_B9RNmXQD9AUL3QO4

I hadn't seen this on the board yet, but it appears that if AD and his agent can't get a trade, he will be bought out. Do you think the Spurs would be interested in bringing back an old face? He grew alot once he left--especially in his time in Seattle and Washington. I am not sure we would even have the space for him, but it would be interesting.

Wolves give Daniels permission to seek trade
(AP) – 1 day ago
MINNEAPOLIS — The Minnesota Timberwolves say they have given veteran guard Antonio Daniels permission to seek a trade. If Daniels and his agent cannot work out a deal, the Timberwolves will buy him out.
Daniels is in the final year of his deal that will pay him $6.6 million this season. He was acquired from New Orleans in a trade for Darius Songaila earlier this month that gives the Wolves more salary cap flexibility for 2010.
The Timberwolves are rebuilding this season and committed to playing younger players Jonny Flynn and Ramon Sessions in the backcourt. Team president David Kahn says he knows Daniels wants playing time and "the opportunity for Antonio to play would have been unlikely."
The Timberwolves made a similar deal with center Mark Blount earlier this week.

DMX7
09-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Our roster is pretty full but he is surely better than Bogans.

timvp
09-27-2009, 12:47 AM
Eh, not a bad idea. If Hill shows any signs of not being able to play point guard in preseason, the Spurs could do a lot worse than AD for the minimum.

redzero
09-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Oh, I please take Antonio "Mr. Freeze" Daniels. I would love nothing more than watching him completely stop the Spurs' Offense.

howbouthemspurs
09-27-2009, 01:54 AM
I saw Antonio at All Stars a couple of weeks ago... seems like a cool guy.. I also met him at Six flags when he was still with the spurs. I sold him a lemonade. Again a very nice guy. does he still live in San Antonio?

EricB
09-27-2009, 02:04 AM
He looked horrible for the Hornets last year so I don't know.

Could do alot worse so I'd say yes just to see Duncan's buddy back.

kobyz
09-27-2009, 05:05 AM
there is few solid PG that will be available for the minimum like: Bobby Jackson, Atkins
if we want a veteran back up PG

Darkwaters
09-27-2009, 05:08 AM
there is few solid PG that will be available for the minimum like: Bobby Jackson, Atkins

Agreed. If we're going to go after a 3rd PG and George Hill Bust Insurance my vote would go to Bobby Jax.

Chieflion
09-27-2009, 05:52 AM
Atkins has signed a training camp deal with the Pistons. Bobby Jackson is pretty much done in my opinion.

Timmy21D
09-27-2009, 06:35 AM
AD was done when the Spurs released/traded or whatever term is used. There was just something missing from his game. Haven't y'all noticed that once coach Pop gets rid of any player you AIN"T never coming back!( Unless you've won 3 chips with the Bulls, and win another for the Spurs)

George Hill is the future. He has the tempermant, physical attributes and skills. Yeah, he may seem rough, but so was TP. Look for big things to come from him.

Bogans is a one hit wonder, he might not last the whole season.

exstatic
09-27-2009, 09:44 AM
He'd have to be gotten via trade, and he's still making $6.6M. No thanks.

tp2021
09-27-2009, 09:52 AM
He'd have to be gotten via trade, and he's still making $6.6M. No thanks.

The OP says if he isn't traded, he will be bought out.

Darkwaters
09-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Geoge Hill (http://myspurslink.blogspot.com/2009/09/developing-young-guard-george-hill.html) is still developing... and Marcus Williams (http://myspurslink.blogspot.com/2009/09/spurs-camp-plenty-of-options.html) can play the point... we are covered... Manu and Bogans can also handle the ball for short stints...:flag::lobt:

I'm a fan of George Hill, but I'm not completely sold on him as a PG. I want to be, but a 3rd PG to help mentor him wouldn't be a bad thing.

I'm not in anyway sold on Marcus Williams. Theres a reason hes been signed and cut by multiple teams multiple times. I'm not convinced hes the answer to anything yet. Not even 3rd string anything.

TIMMYD!
09-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Dwayne Jones seems like a good guy to have clogging the lane.

exstatic
09-27-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm a fan of George Hill, but I'm not completely sold on him as a PG. I want to be, but a 3rd PG to help mentor him wouldn't be a bad thing.

I'm not in anyway sold on Marcus Williams. Theres a reason hes been signed and cut by multiple teams multiple times. I'm not convinced hes the answer to anything yet. Not even 3rd string anything.

AD is no more a PG than Hill is. I've thought for a long while that AD isn't een really a combo guard, he's a 2 guard trying really hard.

Spurs Brazil
09-27-2009, 12:03 PM
AD could not play PG when he was in San Antonio and I don't think he can do it now

angelbelow
09-27-2009, 12:47 PM
he would be nice insurance at the PG position. but he wont get playing time here in SA either..

admiralsnackbar
09-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Assuming the OP's source is correct, why would any other team arrange a trade when they could just wait until Daniels gets released?

EDIT--

NM, I guess somebody might want his expiring contract.

Darkwaters
09-27-2009, 02:17 PM
AD is no more a PG than Hill is. I've thought for a long while that AD isn't een really a combo guard, he's a 2 guard trying really hard.

I'm not advocating for Antonio Daniels. I don't know that hes a good pick up. But I am saying that it might be desirable to take another PG b/c both Hill and (especially) Williams are slight question marks.

timvp
09-27-2009, 02:55 PM
The last time AD was a free agent, the Spurs tried to bring him back as the team's backup point guard -- so someone must think he can handle the role.

coyotes_geek
09-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Tough call. He'd be nice insurance against George Hill not being up to the task, but would AD want to come here if it meant being buried on the bench if Hill becomes the PG we're all hoping he can be?

lotr1trekkie
09-27-2009, 04:12 PM
For the minimun AD would be worth . I hate the idea of Manu playing point. Manu should be Mana--- a wildman not a stetter uppper.

EricB
09-27-2009, 04:14 PM
The last time AD was a free agent, the Spurs tried to bring him back as the team's backup point guard -- so someone must think he can handle the role.

They still don't have a veteran third PG like Pop likes to have too....

TD 21
09-27-2009, 05:06 PM
They still don't have a veteran third PG like Pop likes to have too....

In listening to Pop and Buford at various points throughout the off season, that has never seemed like it has been something the Spurs were concerned about. They seem content to go with Parker/Hill and then if injuries strike or Hill struggles, some combination of Ginobili/Mason/Williams. The organization seems too high on Williams to cut him and risk losing him, in favor of having a true third PG who likely wouldn't play much.

If you read why Daniels wants out, it's because he's in a contract year and doesn't think he'll play much behind young franchise cornerstones Flynn and Sessions. With the Spurs, he'd almost certainly be inactive the vast majority of the time, including probably full time in the playoffs. We know he's good friends with Duncan and would probably like another chance to compete for a championship, but it's not going to happen. At least not with the Spurs.

Dex
09-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Does this mean we would have to see that big grin on Jim's menus again?

SouthTexasRancher
09-27-2009, 09:40 PM
At this point Pop would not want to bring him back here only to have to cut him when the first cuts are made. Time to let the 18+ guys we have now show us if any of the young guns can make the main 12.

SpurCharger
09-27-2009, 10:53 PM
No Thanks! was Never A A.Daniels Fan.... He Slows The offense Down To Much, and Holds The Ball.... He did it as a Spur Before, And still does It Now with The teams he has been with.... I Pass

TDMVPDPOY
09-27-2009, 11:26 PM
he was pretty good when he was with the sonics, then it went downhill

mountainballer
09-28-2009, 04:05 AM
Tough call. He'd be nice insurance against George Hill not being up to the task, but would AD want to come here if it meant being buried on the bench if Hill becomes the PG we're all hoping he can be?

just a guess. at this point of his career he might not care that much about his minutes, he knows pretty well he won't find a major role with another team. so maybe he prefers to be with a contender and some good friends.
I would say yes, if he signs for the minimum, even if this would very likely finally end Hairston's career with the Spurs.
but we have to see it that way: he would just take the spot and role of JV and even if ADs best days are long gone, he definitely should he a significant upgrade over JV.

dbestpro
09-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Avery was the only Spur to return and make it work. Guys like Malik and Antonio will always be a fond memory, but they need to stay as that. It's time for new memories to be born.

MoSpur
09-28-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm sure his wife and daughter would like for him to play in S.A. I don't think he fits in with the Spurs because there is no more space unless they cut some ties or trade some pieces. I thought I heard he was a distraction in the locker room when he was with the Spurs??? I might be wrong though.

He's a great community guy and continues to have his basketball camps here in S.A even though it cost an arm and a leg to go to one.

bigdog
09-28-2009, 10:56 AM
George Hill. nuff said

coyotes_geek
09-28-2009, 11:01 AM
just a guess. at this point of his career he might not care that much about his minutes, he knows pretty well he won't find a major role with another team. so maybe he prefers to be with a contender and some good friends.
I would say yes, if he signs for the minimum, even if this would very likely finally end Hairston's career with the Spurs.
but we have to see it that way: he would just take the spot and role of JV and even if ADs best days are long gone, he definitely should he a significant upgrade over JV.

It pretty much boils down to how highly the Spurs think of Hairston and Williams. With no reasonable trade scenarios available right now the Spurs already have to risk losing one of them due to roster limits. If they pick up AD they're at risk of losing both.

mountainballer
09-28-2009, 11:36 AM
It pretty much boils down to how highly the Spurs think of Hairston and Williams. With no reasonable trade scenarios available right now the Spurs already have to risk losing one of them due to roster limits. If they pick up AD they're at risk of losing both.

yes. I would hate to lose Hairston and not be happy to lose MW, before we learn what he might be able to play in the NBA. on the other hand, without trades, both wouldn't see a role with the Spurs at all (not this season, maybe the season after). AD would increase the rosters versatility though (something that Hairston doesn't, especially not with Bogans on the team).