PDA

View Full Version : Trail Blazers' Kevin Pritchard reflects on roller coaster offseason

tlongII
09-27-2009, 11:58 AM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/09/post_5.html

TUALATIN — Kevin Pritchard strolls through the main entrance of the Trail Blazers’ practice facility out of breath and dripping wet, sporting a sweaty T-shirt and baggy basketball shorts.

“Just got done doin’ a little running,” he says as he moves past the front desk and into his office.

It was Friday afternoon and Pritchard had sat through obligatory meetings, finalized a non-guaranteed contract with free agent forward Ime Udoka and even mixed in a little lunchtime pickup basketball with some of his management team.

When the Blazers open training camp Monday for the 40th time in franchise history, it will signal the unofficial handoff from Pritchard to coach Nate McMillan, and the Blazers’ general manager will pass along the keys of a team with ambitious goals. The offseason will officially end.

And had Pritchard not explained that he just finished playing hoops, one could have been forgiven for assuming he was merely showing the lingering effects of a roller-coaster summer.

Pritchard has overseen some wild offseasons during his brief tenure as the Blazers’ general manager — the seemingly endless draft-day trades, the stunning NBA draft lottery win, the depressing Greg Oden knee injury — but few have tested Pritchard’s resolve and patience like the summer of 2009.

As he sits behind his desk and kicks off his shoes this fall afternoon, Pritchard makes a surprising declaration in between slurps of bottled water.

“Actually, now that it’s all come together, I’m happy,” Pritchard says, as he starts reflecting on a rocky offseason that was mixed with missteps, rejections, criticism and, eventually, progress.

At one point over the summer, one national NBA pundit labeled Pritchard the offseason’s Biggest Loser. Just last week, an NBA writer for TSN, Canada’s ESPN equivalent, said Pritchard “has begun to get himself a reputation as an arrogant malcontent who sees himself as bigger than his club and his club as better than the league.”

Why the angst? A quick refresher:

Pritchard opened the offseason by declaring that the Blazers, armed with millions of dollars in salary cap space, were going to be major players on the free agent market. He initiated a full-court press for Hedo Turkoglu at the infancy of free agency and the Blazers thought they had an agreement with the small forward. But at the 11th hour, Turkoglu blindsided the Blazers and bolted for a deal with the Toronto Raptors. Then, after moving on to Plan B, Utah’s Paul Millsap, the pursuit of the restricted free agent crumbled when the Jazz matched the Blazers’ offer sheet. Strike two.

All the while, no-brainer contract negotiations with All-Star Brandon Roy had stalled.

Ultimately, after intense internal debate, fruitless trade talks and more unsuccessful free agent pursuits, the Blazers avoided a strikeout. They secured a late free agent deal with point guard Andre Miller and inked Roy to a max contract. The only significant task remaining is to extend the contract of power forward LaMarcus Aldridge before an Oct. 31 deadline.

There’s a saying around the Blazers’ offices, created by director of college scouting Chad Buchanan, that guides everything the management team does: Calm Waters. No matter how high the highs or how low the lows, team officials try to act as if they’re riding calm waters.

Of course, this offseason seemed more turbulent than calm. So how did they smooth out the violent ripples created by the Turkoglu defection?

At the apex of disappointment, just after the Turkoglu deal fell through, Pritchard invited his entire management staff — and their families — to his home on Oswego Lake. He barbecued. Folks hopped in Pritchard’s boat and cruised the lake. Kids chased each other and played in the water. Conversations involved everything but their depressing predicament as everyone soaked in a beautifully sunny Northwest summer day.

And the next day?

“We got back in the office the next morning and started battling it out again,” Pritchard said. “The one thing you want to do at that point in time is make sure everyone knows how much they are appreciated and know that tomorrow we’re going to get working again. It was out of our control. Life is going to give you good and give you bad. When times are good, everything’s fine. When things turn tough, that’s when you can really find what you’re made of and what the organization’s made of.”

Pritchard refused to divulge any details about the behind-the-scenes happenings with Turkoglu. But the sentiment around One Center Court is that if Turkoglu truly did not want to play for the Blazers, they’re glad they discovered so before signing him to a lucrative deal.

“If we took criticism, that’s fine,” Pritchard said. “Because the end result, I’m fine with.”

Pritchard insists — despite what pundits say and despite the summer’s “peaks and valleys” — that it was a successful summer. The franchise won 54 games last season, reached the playoffs and seems well stocked for the future. Pritchard added young talent through the draft and a potential difference-maker through free agency.

The franchise, for the first time under Pritchard’s direction, has moved beyond rebuilding and has progressed to the next step that he refers to as “sustained success.” He wants the Blazers to resemble the San Antonio Spurs or Los Angeles Lakers or Utah Jazz — teams that reload and contend every season. The up-and-down nature of the offseason, according to Pritchard, did not derail these ambitions.

“We’ve gone through a lot of challenging times,” Pritchard said. “If (this offseason is) as tough as it gets, I’m OK. Because here’s the thing; we’re set for the season. Nate’s a great coach. We like our team. We know we’ve got a lot of work to do and I think that’s the key; we’re not going to rest on our laurels. We’re not going to be complacent.”

It’s easy to forget that Pritchard is a relatively inexperienced NBA general manager entering just his third season as the top guy. And while he has achieved a considerable amount in overseeing the top-to-bottom transformation of this franchise, he acknowledges that he has lots to learn. If anything, the past few months have taught him that he could stand to gain better patience.

Arrogant malcontent? Bigger than his team and better than the league? Pritchard insists he couldn’t care less what the pundits think. His focus is on the people inside the organization and the fans that likely will sell out every game at the Rose Garden this season.

“We talk about being humble and hungry all the time and if I didn’t set that tone around here, then I’d be upset,” he said. “I love my job and I feel lucky to be one of 30 people who gets to run an NBA team. I don’t take that lightly. I owe it to a lot of people. And from where I’ve come, from the minor leagues, to get to where I am. I was a marginal NBA player, at best. And to build up an organization I’m proud of means a lot. But I know there’s a lot of work to do.”

And that work continues. The unofficial handoff from Pritchard to McMillan takes place Monday, but the next task of the front office starts Sunday, when Pritchard and his staff huddle in their Tualatin offices to start planning for next year’s draft.

Ultimately, Pritchard says, he will be judged by how the team he’s assembled plays on the court, not by the challenges of the summer. And to that end, he stands by his moves.

“We have a team that is growing and getting better and can achieve a lot of things,” Pritchard said. “And that’s what I focus on. I really do. If I got stuck in all the negatives …”

He paused and pondered before continuing.

“That’s just not me. I really try to live in the positive. Anytime somebody says there are problems, I always tell them to input the word opportunity. A few years ago everybody said, ‘Look at all these problems.’ Well, I said, ‘Look at all this opportunity.’ Maybe I just see the world in a glass-half-full way. But there’s no doubt that you can ride that roller coaster of emotions of this business and there are times when it gets challenging. But I wouldn’t miss it because I love being in the trenches with the right people. It may sound like baloney, read-it-in-a-book stuff, but it’s true.”

Culburn369
09-27-2009, 12:07 PM
[“That’s just not me. I really try to live in the positive.]

Yep, him & that mook up in MN.. Both of them shovelin' shit with both hands.

tlongII
09-27-2009, 12:13 PM
[“That’s just not me. I really try to live in the positive.]

Yep, him & that mook up in MN.. Both of them shovelin' shit with both hands.

Man, I can't wait until we play your team. Good times...

21_Blessings
09-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Hey tlongII are you excited about the Blazers annual 1st round exit?

iggypop123
09-27-2009, 03:13 PM
the parade comes first blessings then the first round exit

Dunc n Dave
09-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Funny how there was no mention of the Darius Miles demands, or was Kevin Pritchard not the one who threatened to sue any team that signed him to screw with the Blazers cap space?

Kai
09-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Funny how there was no mention of the Darius Miles demands, or was Kevin Pritchard not the one who threatened to sue any team that signed him to screw with the Blazers cap space?

That wasn't during the offseason.

Culburn369
09-27-2009, 05:13 PM

Oops! Dunc nailin' some Blazer ass to the wall of a Sunday afternoon...rehabilitating himself in the eyes of Culburn.

Dunc n Dave
09-27-2009, 07:55 PM
That wasn't during the offseason.

Please, it was still one of his many problems over the last few months. I lost a lot of respect for the guy when he pulled that crap. Funny thing is it back fired on him. Not only because the Grizz signed Miles and played him the remaining games, but because a lot of GMs decided not to deal with his cocky ass anymore. I remember several GMs blasting him publicly for making such a bold threat.

I'm sure it didn't help him any when he was trying to swing trades this off season...

Culburn369
09-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Uh, hello, Dunc? Dunc?

C'mon, dude, speak to yer old palsy walsy.

Duncky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dunc n Dave
09-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Uh, hello, Dunc? Dunc?

C'mon, dude, speak to yer old palsy walsy.

Duncky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is there to talk about? We both agree that Pritchard got what he deserved this summer for being an ass...

Culburn369
09-27-2009, 09:39 PM
What is there to talk about? We both agree that Pritchard got what he deserved this summer for being an ass...

I just kinda miss you chewing my ass out on an every-other-day basis.

Dunc n Dave
09-27-2009, 09:57 PM
I just kinda miss you chewing my ass out on an every-other-day basis.

Well, I'm not a 56 year old retired army head cleaner who can average 26 posts a day on this site. I gotta go to work, so you'll have to settle for an ass-chewin once a week or twice on Sundays instead.

In the immortal words of the "great" Latrell Spreewell...
"I got a family to feed..."

Culburn369
09-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Well, I'm not a 56 year old retired army head cleaner who can average 26 posts a day on this site. I gotta go to work, so you'll have to settle for an ass-chewin once a week or twice on Sundays instead.

In the immortal words of the "great" Latrell Spreewell...
"I got a family to feed..."

Just know you're missed, youngster.

Brazil
09-28-2009, 09:22 AM
I still wonder why Portland didn't make a run at Lamar

jazzypimp
09-28-2009, 09:28 AM
I read somewhere that kevin pritchard is one of the more disliked GM's in the league. He must be a real dick!! All started with that Ball-less move of sending that "Do not sign Darius Miles to a contract" warning e-mail. It's funny how chris wallace gave the lakers Pau Gasol and then signed Miles to screw the Blazers. Grizzles working for L.A. fo sho!

tlongII
09-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Please, it was still one of his many problems over the last few months. I lost a lot of respect for the guy when he pulled that crap. Funny thing is it back fired on him. Not only because the Grizz signed Miles and played him the remaining games, but because a lot of GMs decided not to deal with his cocky ass anymore. I remember several GMs blasting him publicly for making such a bold threat.

I'm sure it didn't help him any when he was trying to swing trades this off season...

You don't know what the hell you're talking about. Pritchard didn't send that email.

Culburn369
09-28-2009, 10:24 AM
I still wonder why Portland didn't make a run at Lamar

Because dummy: Lamar was never on the open market, nary a second once Arty signed in Los Angeles.

tlongII
09-28-2009, 10:48 AM
We would never sign a Laker. Don't want them. Don't need them.

jazzypimp
09-28-2009, 10:49 AM
You don't know what the hell you're talking about. Pritchard didn't send that email.

What the hell are you talking about?? It was pritchard that concockted that whole debacle.

tlongII
09-28-2009, 12:14 PM
What the hell are you talking about?? It was pritchard that concockted that whole debacle.

First of all the email came from Larry Miller, not Kevin Pritchard. But don't let the facts get in your way...

Second of all the email was almost certainly directed by Paul Allen. It was clearly his work.

Brazil
09-29-2009, 10:10 AM
We would never sign a Laker. Don't want them. Don't need them.

:rolleyes yeah I'm sure if Portland could afford Kobe contract they wouldn't do that.

Brazil
09-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Because dummy: Lamar was never on the open market, nary a second once Arty signed in Los Angeles.

sorry I thought he was FA

2Cleva
09-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Brazil - he was on the market and they did make a run for LO late. But that was after their cap space was gone with Miller and anything would need S&T - something that LA would never do.

lil_penny
09-29-2009, 11:13 AM

That was larry miller

Dunc n Dave
09-29-2009, 09:23 PM
First of all the email came from Larry Miller, not Kevin Pritchard. But don't let the facts get in your way...

Second of all the email was almost certainly directed by Paul Allen. It was clearly his work.

Bull shit, the email may have been from Miller, but Pritchard was involved in it and gave the OK. It was addressed to all general managers. What the hell is Pritchard?

Don't act like he's some patron saint. He was threatening to take his ball and go home just as much as Miller was. Paul Allen had nothing to do with it. It was Miller and Pritchard.

tlongII
09-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Bull shit, the email may have been from Miller, but Pritchard was involved in it and gave the OK. It was addressed to all general managers. What the hell is Pritchard?

Don't act like he's some patron saint. He was threatening to take his ball and go home just as much as Miller was. Paul Allen had nothing to do with it. It was Miller and Pritchard.

Wrong.

DPG21920
09-30-2009, 12:36 AM
Wrong is what is going on over in the Spurs section with regards to you being called out. Will you answer the haters Tlong?

tlongII
09-30-2009, 12:40 AM
Wrong is what is going on over in the Spurs section with regards to you being called out. Will you answer the haters Tlong?

Haven't seen the thread. I'll get right on it.

SenorSpur
09-30-2009, 02:40 AM
Let's be real about one thing. All decisions regarding Blazer basketball Operations are authorized by Prickard. Whether he actually wrote the threatening email, and I believe he did, is irrevelant. As head honcho, it's on him. Furthermore, let's not act as though he's above such an act.

Pritchard has overseen some wild offseasons during his brief tenure as the Blazers’ general manager — the seemingly endless draft-day trades, the stunning NBA draft lottery win, the depressing Greg Oden knee injury — but few have tested Pritchard’s resolve and patience like the summer of 2009.
Funny how there was no mention of his email threat to all the GMs on the Miles situation. If there was ever any reluctance or unwillingness on the part of GM's in dealing his Prickard, I'm sure that lil' stunt was partly to blame.

It’s easy to forget that Pritchard is a relatively inexperienced NBA general manager entering just his third season as the top guy. And while he has achieved a considerable amount in overseeing the top-to-bottom transformation of this franchise, he acknowledges that he has lots to learn. If anything, the past few months have taught him that he could stand to gain better patience.
That's an understatement.

Arrogant malcontent? Bigger than his team and better than the league? Pritchard insists he couldn’t care less what the pundits think. His focus is on the people inside the organization and the fans that likely will sell out every game at the Rose Garden this season.
All of which is very easy to believe. Why else would he threaten fellow GM's with such an email scare tactic?

Ultimately, Pritchard says, he will be judged by how the team he’s assembled plays on the court, not by the challenges of the summer. And to that end, he stands by his moves.
I'm sure he does. While I'll be the first to commend him for transforming the Blazers roster and their organization, while energizing the fan base, there's no doubt that he's been somewhat of a jerk along the way. It's hard to believe this prick was a product of the Spurs organization.

Culburn369
09-30-2009, 05:04 AM
Pritchard is your classic douche bag.

z0sa
09-30-2009, 07:49 AM
Pritchard is your classic douche bag.

you know about being a classic douche bag, don't you?

Culburn369
09-30-2009, 09:03 AM
you know about being a classic douche bag, don't you?

Yer gonna sit there and tell me he ain't got Summer's Eve written all over him?

Don't even.

Strike
09-30-2009, 09:13 AM

Don't even.

Funniest thing I've read all day. And not untrue.

tlongII
09-30-2009, 09:50 AM

Don't even.

You gonna tell me that the Lakers' management aren't douche bags? Ha! They're the biggest douche bags in the league!

Culburn369
09-30-2009, 10:19 AM
You gonna tell me that the Lakers' management aren't douche bags? Ha! They're the biggest douche bags in the league!

Uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, well, your management is infinite douche bags.

BOO YAH!

Dunc n Dave
09-30-2009, 10:23 PM
:rollin
Uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, well, your management is infinite douche bags.

BOO YAH!