PDA

View Full Version : Pop interview with Don Harris

Solid D
09-28-2009, 12:17 AM
Good interview Don Harris showed tonight on Sports Sunday. Some of this may have been shown before but Pop said some interesting things. Pop is energized but it was really important to have these changes for Manu and Tony and Tim and Fin to see those (new) guys on the court. Timmy is fired up.

Jefferson should elimate some of the scoring droughts. He can post up and shoot 3s and we haven't had that since Sean Elliott.

He said Tim was deferring to TP more last year as the go-to guy many nights and likely to be that way again this year. He expects Tony to be more demonstrative and more of a vocal leader.

When asked about Manu being a FA next season, perhaps, and if Jefferson is a little wing insurance in case Manu doesn't re-sign with the Spurs. Pop said absolutely not. I can tell you straight up, this Richard Jefferson thing started a long time ago and has nothing to do with Manu. They brought RJ in to play with Manu and Tony and Tim.

Then Pop said, "Manu is someone that I don't want to see play anywhere else! It would kill me to have him play some place else, professionally and personally."

There was more but those are some highlights.

DPG21920
09-28-2009, 12:21 AM
Ducks does not believe Pop
Clearly Pop does not trust Manu
That is why RJ is here
Trade Manu unless he signs for minimum
If he does that, he wants to win and is deal

- Recurring Dream by Ducks

Interesting if indeed Pop said Manu/Tony/Tim and Finley needed to see these changes??????????????

MaNu4Tres
09-28-2009, 12:22 AM
Hopefully the interview will be up on WOAI. Thanx for the recap Solid D.

Can't wait to get this party started.

Amuseddaysleeper
09-28-2009, 12:23 AM
Man, I really wish the Pop show would come back

Libri
09-28-2009, 12:26 AM
Interesting if indeed Pop said Manu/Tony/Tim and Finley needed to see these changes??????????????

Yup. That's what he said.

Solid D
09-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Ducks does not believe Pop
Clearly Pop does not trust Manu
That is why RJ is here
Trade Manu unless he signs for minimum
If he does that, he wants to win and is deal

- Recurring Dream by Ducks

It was a quote "Manu and Tony And Tim and Fin".

DPG21920
09-28-2009, 12:31 AM
Why would Fin be included as if he is a a part of the "Big 4"? That is terrible. It is scary to see that mindset from Pop.

FromWayDowntown
09-28-2009, 12:31 AM
It was a quote "Manu and Tony And Tim and Fin".

I note the glaring omission of Matty Bonner from that list . . . .

:)

SenorSpur
09-28-2009, 12:46 AM
It's not surprising to hear Pop gush and "show his hand" regarding his love for and loyalty toward Manu. Seeing Scola in a Rockets uniform, 4 times a year, probably still causes Pop to "puke in his mouth" to this day. So I can imagine he doesn't want to even think about seeing Manu elsewhere.

I just hope Manu has decided to put an end to his days of international competition.

Blackjack
09-28-2009, 01:01 AM
Nice recap, Solid D.

Yeah, it looked to be an interview from when Pop made himself available earlier this summer; he looked to be wearing that same reddish shirt.

The fact that he included Fin with the Big 3 was a bit unsettling, but there was a lot of good and optimism to take from the interview.

He stated that no matter what they could have done this summer, that there was no way they could have had a better offseason and he finished the interview saying he believes they've got as good a shot as anyone win another title; doesn't sound all that outlandish of a comment but given it came from Pop, that's almost like Riley guaranteeing a back-to-back.:lol

I've still yet to really hear him comment on Haislip, and Mahinmi's name never came up in the sit-down, but he did note Marcus and Malik as being guys looking to make the team, and that they, along with some of the more notable newcomers, provide a spark and boost to morale that the vets of the team sorely needed.

He noted that they hadn't had a 3-man like RJ that could post and shoot the three since Elliott, even if they didn't post Sean all that much, and that he makes them a better scoring team. Pop noted the scoring droughts of past and felt that they should be fewer and farther between given the versatility RJ's game adds to their offense. He also made a point in saying RJ can really rebound and defend on the other end.

I think Solid D got most of the highlights and I'm trying to remember if there was anything else -- I seem to remember getting the impression that he viewed Ratliff as more than the Willis/Massenburg-type, but that might just be me. -- but it'll most likely be posted at WOAI at some point for those that missed it.

Damn, I'm jacked for this season. :hungry:

EricB
09-28-2009, 01:05 AM
You guys are looking wayyyyy too much into him including "fin in the big 3"

Way too much.

Blackjack
09-28-2009, 01:10 AM
He said that the team needed to make the changes basically for the morale of the vets and the ability to keep up with the other teams. Then, he went on to say that they just couldn't have returned the same team because of how it would've effected Manu, Tony, Tim and Fin..

I think given the context, it tells you just how much he thinks about Fin's standing on the team.

#2!
09-28-2009, 02:07 AM
He said that the team needed to make the changes basically for the morale of the vets and the ability to keep up with the other teams. Then, he went on to say that they just couldn't have returned the same team because of how it would've effected Manu, Tony, Tim and Fin..

I think given the context, it tells you just how much he thinks about Fin's standing on the team.

or it could just be implying that older players don't like to come into a season take a look around the gym and realize that he's in a tie for the 4th scoring option on a team that claims to be title contenders.

Libri
09-28-2009, 02:34 AM
I think the reason why Pop mentioned Finley is because he considers him part of the veteran core of players who has had a significant role with the Spurs. Apart from Manu, Tony, and Tim, Finley has the next longest tenure with the Spurs. If Bruce was still here, Pop would have included him.

qiuyizeng
09-28-2009, 03:02 AM
pop love manu!

#2!
09-28-2009, 03:06 AM
I think the reason why Pop mentioned Finley is because he considers him part of the veteran core of players who has had a significant role with the Spurs. Apart from Manu, Tony, and Tim, Finley has the next longest tenure with the Spurs. If Bruce was still here, Pop would have included him.

weird since the press conference for finley's arrival feels like yesterday.

jalberto
09-28-2009, 05:46 AM
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4176/popovich.jpg (http://www.woai.com/content/sportsvideo/default.aspx?videoId=744454)

rjv
09-28-2009, 09:05 AM
harris sucks. he asked nothing new and then oversold the manu situation.

then he proceeds to give the wrong information for the first game of the season and home opener. he listed utah as the opener and chicago as the first home game ( i guess he forgot to check the games in october).

what an idiot. he can't even get info right for the local sports team he covers.

DaBears
09-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Who cares it was an intresting watch and nothing more.... Does it really matter that he mentioned Finley.... Who the FUCK cares.......And yes last i checked Finley is a veteran w/ the SPURS compared to some of the others guys on the team.... Have you posters have nothing better to to then critique a dam interview. I would venture to say he might have the longest stint up to now outside of the big 3....

Side note****This weekend read in Pro Basketball MAG. That they projected the SPURS to oust the LAKERS in WCF. and to PLAY CELTICS in Finals, & then beating them.... Glad to see SA getting the attention they deserve....

Cannot Wait till start of the season, hell i cant wait till preseason.....

MoSpur
09-28-2009, 09:44 AM
I can't stand Harris, but it was good to see Pop on TV talking about the upcoming season.

Bender
09-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Side note****This weekend read in Pro Basketball MAG. That they projected the SPURS to oust the LAKERS in WCF. and to PLAY CELTICS in Finals, & then beating them.... Glad to see SA getting the attention they deserve....
Spurs prefer to fly under the radar though...

Phenomanul
09-28-2009, 10:09 AM
I'll second what Phila_Chamberlain mentioned in his other thread... having Finley around is a luxury at this point. It all hinges on taking advantage of his knowledge of the Spurs' system and his ability to knock open shots... and obviously, that Pop not overplay him. Hopefully, Finley can be effective on about 8-10 mpg.

Blackjack
09-28-2009, 12:10 PM
or it could just be implying that older players don't like to come into a season take a look around the gym and realize that he's in a tie for the 4th scoring option on a team that claims to be title contenders.

I don't believe so.

There seems to be a great respect and sentimentality with Fin for what he does in the locker room, how he conducts himself as a professional and the fact that he was Pop's first real coveted free-agent that decided to join the Spurs. I get it and don't have any problem with him feeling that way, I just have a problem when it leads to Fin playing more minutes than he warrants at this stage of his career.

My problem really has nothing to do with Fin. He's still one of the better shooters in the league, he's still got the size and elevation to get his shot off against just about everyone, and he is a good presence to have on the team. If he's viewed as a shooter and someone that's not going to play extended minutes, he's definitely an asset to the team. He just doesn't do enough on both ends of the court to be playing the type of role Pop seems to wish he could.

Who cares it was an intresting watch and nothing more.... Does it really matter that he mentioned Finley.... Who the FUCK cares.......And yes last i checked Finley is a veteran w/ the SPURS compared to some of the others guys on the team.... Have you posters have nothing better to to then critique a dam interview. I would venture to say he might have the longest stint up to now outside of the big 3.....

First off, we were critiquing a Coach Pop interview on the upcoming season and not a dam interview. I'm not sure if you had a certain rodent on your mind or a deep appreciation for the likes of maybe the Hoover Dam, that just happened to be on your mind at the moment, but hopefully that clears things up for you.

I love overreactors to perceived overreacting..:lol

Oh, and I hear chewing Orbitz gum can really clean up a dirty mouth..:toast

ducks
09-28-2009, 01:27 PM
pop driving up manu price in fa
make another team pay him more more money
pretty smart of pop

Hemotivo
09-28-2009, 02:05 PM
pretty smart of pop

why?

Solid D
09-28-2009, 02:07 PM
pretty smart of pop

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Hbh2GKV1knw/SSSjN8sszhI/AAAAAAAAB7I/QJz08kEc6lo/s400/Sassy++My+Own+Little+World+cprt+pik+ws.jpg

Spurs Brazil
09-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Then Pop said, "Manu is someone that I don't want to see play anywhere else! It would kill me to have him play some place else, professionally and personally."

Good, I hope Manu retires in San Antonio

Link
http://www.woai.com/content/sportsvideo/default.aspx?videoId=744454

ducks
09-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Good, I hope Manu retires in San Antonio

Link
http://www.woai.com/content/sportsvideo/default.aspx?videoId=744454

if he accepts mle fine

TMTTRIO
09-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Interesting we have Pop saying he can't imagine Manu anywhere else and then Manu saying today with an interview with Don Harris that if the Spurs don't want him anymore(he did say that he would love to stay) he's prepared to leave.

SouthTexasRancher
09-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Good interview Don Harris showed tonight on Sports Sunday. Some of this may have been shown before but Pop said some interesting things. Pop is energized but it was really important to have these changes for Manu and Tony and Tim and Fin to see those (new) guys on the court. Timmy is fired up.

Jefferson should elimate some of the scoring droughts. He can post up and shoot 3s and we haven't had that since Sean Elliott.

He said Tim was deferring to TP more last year as the go-to guy many nights and likely to be that way again this year. He expects Tony to be more demonstrative and more of a vocal leader.

When asked about Manu being a FA next season, perhaps, and if Jefferson is a little wing insurance in case Manu doesn't re-sign with the Spurs. Pop said absolutely not. I can tell you straight up, this Richard Jefferson thing started a long time ago and has nothing to do with Manu. They brought RJ in to play with Manu and Tony and Tim.

There was more but those are some highlights.

That's what I like to hear! Thanks for posting...:lobt2: