PDA

View Full Version : Coaches poll is a joke!!

vander
09-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Penn State over Iowa!?!
Cal over Oregon!?!
Oregon at #25!?! (who else has played 3 ranked teams and no cupcakes?)

the BCS can't be using this crap, they've got to switch to the AP poll

MajorMike
09-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Yes, that's a great idea for you, Mr Boise fan: have the media pundints, an overwhelming majority of whom are from the east coast, decide annually where to rank Boise, simply because you agree with them one week out of the year (and still they are only 13 points ahead of Va Tech for 5th). Outstanding idea.

vander
09-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Yes, that's a great idea for you, Mr Boise fan: have the media pundints, an overwhelming majority of whom are from the east coast, decide annually where to rank Boise, simply because you agree with them one week out of the year (and still they are only 13 points ahead of Va Tech for 5th). Outstanding idea.

BSU is in the same spot in both polls, and will start being jumped by one-loss teams probably next week, deservedly so. I've made it plenty clear that I'm a realist when it comes to BSU, they are not a top 5 team and the BCS and voters do overrate them, and the WAC helps them out by sucking so hard.

think about it, the media voters analyze and stress over the top 25 all day every day, it's their lives.

the coaches wake up Sunday morning and have the ballot shoves in their face when they have other things to do. coaches are consumed with their own teams, their own conferences, their own opponents, not the whole big picture, what do SEC coaches know about the Pac 10?

the proof is in the rankings, it's almost as if some coaches filled out the ballot without even knowing who won those Oregon and Iowa games

MajorMike
09-28-2009, 10:28 AM
No, eating donuts and sensationalizing news that isn't news is their life. They don't know anything more about football in Boise than your average football fanatic.

How many times did you see news the last two days about Tebow being hurt? THAT is their job - make something seem more than it is so you will watch. They don't give a damn about Boise.

And FYI, coaches don't do their own ballot. If you don't know the process don't complain about it. I bet 10 people are getting ready to chime in and tell you how coach's polls are really done.

Ask Steve Spurrier.

what do SEC coaches know about the Pac 10?

I dunno, why don't you ask Lane Kiffin?

vander
09-28-2009, 10:50 AM
No, eating donuts and sensationalizing news that isn't news is their life. They don't know anything more about football in Boise than your average football fanatic.

How many times did you see news the last two days about Tebow being hurt? THAT is their job - make something seem more than it is so you will watch. They don't give a damn about Boise.

And FYI, coaches don't do their own ballot. If you don't know the process don't complain about it. I bet 10 people are getting ready to chime in and tell you how coach's polls are really done.

Ask Steve Spurrier.

I dunno, why don't you ask Lane Kiffin?

the people sensationalizing tebow aren't the ones who have the votes, that's mostly just ESPN

And I'm aware that coaches don't really do their own polls, is that supposed to be an endorsement of their validity? :lol

MajorMike
09-28-2009, 01:48 PM
the people sensationalizing tebow aren't the ones who have the votes, that's mostly just ESPN

And I'm aware that coaches don't really do their own polls, is that supposed to be an endorsement of their validity? :lol

Kirk Herbstreit is a voter. You entrust your poll position to him? Craig James? Chris Fowler?

pkbpkb81
09-28-2009, 02:05 PM
why did usc jump OU, your right this is a joke

vander
09-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Kirk Herbstreit is a voter. You entrust your poll position to him? Craig James? Chris Fowler?

names of people you don't like? that's it?

Oregon - 42
Cal - 3

Iowa - 21 @
Penn State - 10

13 Penn State 3-1 . . 627

17 Iowa . . . 4-0 . . 462

19 California 3-1 . . 356

25 Oregon . . 3-1 . . 198

I repeat: A JOKE! :lol

MajorMike
09-28-2009, 02:14 PM
So you DO like those guys?? You think THEY should be the experts on where you are ranked over coaches??

MajorMike
09-28-2009, 02:17 PM
names of people you don't like? that's it?

Oregon - 42
Cal - 3

Iowa - 21 @
Penn State - 10

13 Penn State 3-1 . . 627

17 Iowa . . . 4-0 . . 462

19 California 3-1 . . 356

25 Oregon . . 3-1 . . 198

I repeat: A JOKE! :lol

AP Poll:

8 Oklahoma
20 Brigham Young

21 Mississippi
RV South Carloina

7 USC
- Washington

What's your point?

vander
09-28-2009, 02:19 PM
So you DO like those guys?? You think THEY should be the experts on where you are ranked over coaches??

you can find the AP poll at almost any sports site, can you show me some horrible atrocities in it's rankings?

why are you ignoring the actual rankings themselves and just attacking the press?

edit: holy shit you beat me to it!!! :lol

but none of those are that bad, BYU has since lost, Washington has no business in the top 25, or even 50, Mississippi lost a close one away, etc.

Oregon showed it was the far better team, and Iowa sowed it's at least better than PSU, what's that like 4 straight years they have beaten Penn State?

MajorMike
09-28-2009, 02:27 PM
you can find the AP poll at almost any sports site, can you show me some horrible atrocities in it's rankings?

why are you ignoring the actual rankings themselves and just attacking the press?

Out of it's lowest rankings of the week they gave Boise 3 of their lowest 4.

James rated Boise 9, Fowler 10 and Herby 11. One guy rated them 12. So those are your football experts, for you.

Herby didn't rate Penn State at all. He rated Houston 9 above Boise. He rated Cincy 16. He didn't rank Kansas and Mizzou but rated Auburn 19 and Stanford 24.

James rated Michigan 8, Kansas 10, LSU 18 (lowest of anyone) and ND 19 (highest of anyone).

Fowler didn't rank Penn State, ranked Houston and TCU ahead of Boise.

Yeah, those media guys know their stuff.

vander
09-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Out of it's lowest rankings of the week they gave Boise 3 of their lowest 4.

James rated Boise 9, Fowler 10 and Herby 11. One guy rated them 12. So those are your football experts, for you.

Herby didn't rate Penn State at all. He rated Houston 9 above Boise. He rated Cincy 16. He didn't rank Kansas and Mizzou but rated Auburn 19 and Stanford 24.

James rated Michigan 8, Kansas 10, LSU 18 (lowest of anyone) and ND 19 (highest of anyone).

Fowler didn't rank Penn State, ranked Houston and TCU ahead of Boise.

Yeah, those media guys know their stuff.

so you are sampling your so-called worst press guys, and yet even their fringe individual rankings are more defensible than the average from all the coaches.

Penn is way to high in the coaches poll, that's just the big ten coaches voting up their own conference, it's disgusting, penn deserves to have a few press guys leave them off entirely until they beat someone

BSU should be closer to 10 than 5, they have only beaten 1 real team, well, and Fresno :rolleyes and though BSU is probably the better team, Houston has done more than BSU so far.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-28-2009, 02:56 PM
BSU should be closer to 10 than 5, they have only beaten 1 real team, well, and Fresno :rolleyes and though BSU is probably the better team, Houston has done more than BSU so far.

That's the chorus the whole campus is singing around here today.

MajorMike
09-28-2009, 07:12 PM
so you are sampling your so-called worst press guys, and yet even their fringe individual rankings are more defensible than the average from all the coaches.

Penn is way to high in the coaches poll, that's just the big ten coaches voting up their own conference, it's disgusting, penn deserves to have a few press guys leave them off entirely until they beat someone

Ok, brainiac, thank you for continually making my point for me. The coaches poll is the AVERAGE of the coaches. Some coaches are idiots and some writers are idiots. If the shoe was on the other foot you would be finding reasons to bitch about the AP poll. Point is, I could find just as many idiot media as I could coaches and I be you diamond to dollars that the coaches are FAR less radical than the AP.

lebomb
09-28-2009, 07:16 PM
A playoff would solve it all...........polls would be meaningless.

vander
09-28-2009, 07:32 PM

so then who gets in? conference champions? but then what about Alabama and Oklahoma?

do the conference champs of non-BCS conferences get in? so you would have to go all the way to a field of 16? then which of the BCS conferences get 2 teams? and then why have a Conference championship game?

do elaborate...

vander
09-28-2009, 07:35 PM
Ok, brainiac, thank you for continually making my point for me. The coaches poll is the AVERAGE of the coaches. Some coaches are idiots and some writers are idiots. If the shoe was on the other foot you would be finding reasons to bitch about the AP poll. Point is, I could find just as many idiot media as I could coaches and I be you diamond to dollars that the coaches are FAR less radical than the AP.

you understand that the AVERAGE of ALL the coaches had Cal 6 spots ahead of Oregon right? that wasn't just one or two idiot coaches

MajorMike
09-28-2009, 08:07 PM
And I bet Penn State would have been above Iowa if the two guys I mentioned not completely left them off.

symple19
09-28-2009, 08:49 PM

You would still have to have polls in order for a playoff system to work. I would also suggest a committee similar to CBB in order to pick the top 8(or however many) teams. Then, you play the playoff games in the BCS bowls, while still allowing all the other teams to play in the normal bowls. Problem solved.

vander
09-28-2009, 09:23 PM
And I bet Penn State would have been above Iowa if the two guys I mentioned not completely left them off.

only if they put PSU at like #5 :lol

and if you took out 2 coaches that ranked Oregon high, Oregon would have been left out of the top 25 after beating 2 straight ranked teams
try to compare apples to apples

MajorMike
09-28-2009, 09:42 PM
try to compare apples to apples

Kettle

I can see having a discussion with you is like trying to show my 5-year old what is right and wrong; she never wants to see both sides, either.

vander
09-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Kettle

I can see having a discussion with you is like trying to show my 5-year old what is right and wrong; she never wants to see both sides, either.

please explain, which one of us has only wanted to compare fringe AP ballots to the average coach ballot? where have I tried to compare fringe coaches ballots to the average AP ballot?

vander
09-29-2009, 01:28 PM
eh just so you chodes know

both the ap voters and the coaches are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY smarter and more informed about NCAA football than the typical (even diehard) fan (such as the posters in this thread)

ah yes, the typical "woe is the fan" attitude,:rolleyes

speak for yourself :toast

mookie2001
09-29-2009, 01:43 PM
the coaches dont even watch football outside of their opponents during the year, thats a fact, the media just goes by the previous poll, then moves USC down 2 spots for a loss, up two spots for a bye, and up three spots for a win, too easy

rold50
09-29-2009, 03:35 PM
No. That's how the media moves SEC teams.

starboy
09-29-2009, 05:06 PM
so then who gets in? conference champions? but then what about Alabama and Oklahoma?

do the conference champs of non-BCS conferences get in? so you would have to go all the way to a field of 16? then which of the BCS conferences get 2 teams? and then why have a Conference championship game?

do elaborate...

I think -

Everyone conference should choose it's own champion however it wants. Playoff, round robin, whatever. The teams that win their own conference get into the tournament. Then you give Automatic Byes to the biggest conferences that already have BCS auto-Bids. Or the 4 best conferences with the best OOC record. Or keep AP rankings and decide the best 4 ranked teams etc...Let's assume ACC, Big XII, SEC, and PAC 10 have the best OOC championship for the year. You're left with the following:

Round 1:
gm1 - Big 10 vs WAC
gm2 - Big East vs C-USA
gm3 - Sun Belt vs Mac
gm4 - Independent vs MWC

Round 2:
gm5 - gm1 winner vs ACC*
gm6 - gm2 winner vs Big XII*
gm7 - gm3 winner vs Sec*
gm8 - gm4 winner vs PAC 10*

Round 3:
gm9 - gm5 winner vs gm6 winner
gm10 - gm7 winer vs gm8 winner

Final:
gm11 - gm9 winner vs gm10 winner.

If you don't win your conference, you can't complain, PERIOD.
The above schedule would take 4 weeeks. Start in Dec. end early January.

Since you're trying to win a conference title, the regular season is still important, and a loss is a loss regardless if in august or november. *ahem*
And you can still keep the other bowl games to get some interesting match-ups.

Just an idea.:downspin:

THEOhioSt.University
09-29-2009, 06:47 PM
I think that Boise State should be left off the polls simply because they are from Idaho. Every year they should have an automatic bid to the Potato Bowl. Problem solved.

MajorMike
09-29-2009, 07:48 PM
mmmmm, taters.

vander
09-29-2009, 07:56 PM
i've read your takes

And I've destroyed your perception of reality, you must now yell the lie louder than ever in order to continue believing it :lol

MajorMike
09-30-2009, 08:44 AM
Maybe its that area of the country that just grows blabbering idiots; see ttlong. They got too close to Canada, or something.

MajorMike
09-30-2009, 08:45 AM
And by the way... wtf is toastfucking?

vander
09-30-2009, 10:43 AM
you don't know shit about shit outside of bareback toastfucking

see? loud and rabid, just as I said, like a scared little lapdog barking as loud as he can :lol

chode_regulator
10-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Penn State over Iowa!?!
Cal over Oregon!?!
Oregon at #25!?! (who else has played 3 ranked teams and no cupcakes?)

the BCS can't be using this crap, they've got to switch to the AP poll
Miami...

why did usc jump OU, your right this is a joke

probably because bradford is hurt...and gresham

vander
10-11-2009, 03:23 PM
LOL Coaches Poll

Switching BSU and USC when neither team played :lol

DMX7
10-11-2009, 04:14 PM
LOL Coaches Poll

Switching BSU and USC when neither team played :lol

maybe they just came to their senses.

vander
10-11-2009, 05:47 PM
maybe they just came to their senses.

even then, why'd it take the extra week, how do these coaches come to two different conclusions with the same information, if anything, Oregon looked much better than Ohio St this week.

Coaches poll
:lol
What a fucking joke

mookie2001
10-11-2009, 05:51 PM
the real rankings should be

1.florida
2. alabama
3. usc
4. oklahoma
5. ohio state

vander
10-11-2009, 06:03 PM
the real rankings should be

1.florida
2. alabama
3. usc
4. oklahoma
5. ohio state

:lol @ ohio state

they'd go 8-4 in the pac-10, SEC, or Big 12

Girasuck
10-11-2009, 07:22 PM

I agree. Hell, Ohio State would lose 2 games in the MWC.

The Reckoning
10-11-2009, 08:05 PM

i think you missed something there...

rjv
10-12-2009, 09:37 AM
right now-i'd have to say bama has been the most impressive team from week to week. that defense is a monster.

MajorMike
10-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Unfortunately Boise or Utah prolly couldn't go 8-4 in the B10, and certainly not the SEC or B12.

vander
10-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Unfortunately Boise or Utah prolly couldn't go 8-4 in the B10, and certainly not the SEC or B12.

in the Big ten? :lol BSU would lose 3 games a year tops
SEC and Big 12 yeah, would be around 8-4, I'd say BSU would fair as well or better than any B12 north team.