PDA

View Full Version : Warriors' Jackson still wants trade

Spurs Brazil
09-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Warriors' Jackson still wants trade

Comment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Stephen Jackson still would like to be traded from the Golden State Warriors and doesn't regret his comments saying he would like to be dealt.

Jackson

On Monday, he even went as far as to say he regrets nothing in his career, speaking specifically about going into the stands with then-Indiana teammate Ron Artest during an ugly brawl with the Detroit Pistons in 2004.

Jackson unloaded his frustrations with the franchise during media day Monday, reiterating public comments he made last month that he wants out so he has a more realistic chance at getting to the playoffs.

Jackson said he is unhappy with the team's decline since reaching the second round of the 2007 playoffs to end a 13-year postseason drought.

The Warriors' leading scorer and top defensive player was fined $25,000 by the NBA earlier this month for saying so.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4512325

nuclearfm
09-28-2009, 04:42 PM
This is a Hail Mary shot for the spurs.

JamStone
09-28-2009, 04:43 PM
August 2008 before getting his contract extension from the Golden State Warriors:

"It's something I always think about," Jackson said from his basketball camp. "It's definitely something that has to be addressed because of what I do for this team and what I've done since I've been here, bringing this team from one of the bottom teams in the league to a playoff team, to a team that won 49 games. It's not what I want, it's what I deserve. "... I won't be comfortable going into this season knowing I have to play this whole season being the fifth highest-paid and not get an extension. I would not be happy."

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2008/08/23/stephen-jackson-feels-underappreciated/

November 2008 after getting his contract extension from the Golden State Warriors:

“I’m extremely happy,” said Jackson. “The Bay Area has become my second home since I arrived here in 2007 and I can’t accurately describe how good it feels to be wanted and appreciated by an organization. The Warriors – from Chris Cohan, Robert Rowell, Chris Mullin and Coach Nelson to the last person working in the front office – have embraced me since Day One. This organization has put me in a position to succeed and, for that, I will be forever grateful. I am really looking forward to the next several years, helping this young team win and providing my veteran leadership.”

http://www.nba.com/warriors/news/jackson_signs_extension.html

WildcardManu
09-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Mid season trade for SJAX?

Indazone
09-29-2009, 09:01 AM
Jackson speaks
Rusty Simmons, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Stephen Jackson, speaking publicly for the first time since demanding a trade last month, stood by his statements and probably managed to avoid another league fine while discussing a variety of topics Monday.

"What I said is how I feel, point blank. That's not going to change," Jackson said. "It doesn't feel good to me, that ever since I've been here, I've been a big part of getting this organization back to a winning attitude - if not the biggest part - and every year, I've lost somebody who helped me get to that. ...

"It feels like I'm next. It feels like we're not getting better."

During a promotional event with former teammate Al Harrington on Aug. 28 in New York, Jackson told an audience "I don't think I'll be a Warrior next year. I'm looking to leave." He was fined $25,000 for "public statements detrimental to the league" Sept. 15.

With Stephen Curry using a video camera to capture the moment and C.J. Watson and Ronny Turiaf stopping by to listen, Jackson addressed a clamoring media contingent for about 20 minutes at the Warriors' Oakland facility Monday.

"I've got to work for (Warriors President Robert Rowell), and I've got to respect him," said Jackson, who last year negotiated his contract extension with Rowell. "I don't think we're going to have any more conversations without my agent being here. Those days are over. I don't think the casual talks are necessary, because I'm not going to be fake."

Jackson said his relationship with Rowell has changed, and that he arrived in Oakland just in time for media day so no one would ask him to read a statement.

"I'm not a puppet," Jackson said. "I didn't want anybody to throw some piece of paper in my face and say, 'You need to say this to save face.' I'm not doing that. That would be going against all the stuff I stand for and why people respect me in this league and call me the ultimate teammate."

Every Warriors player stood by Jackson as a teammate and captain.

"He could have not shown up today, but he's here and that shows his leadership and his accountability to his teammates," forward Corey Maggette said.

"I guarantee you that Tuesday morning, when we come in for practice, Jack will be here and will be working on things that will help us win," Turiaf said. "He's the ultimate competitor. He wants to win every single game, every single shooting drill, everything. I can look you straight in the eyes and tell you that this will not become anything controversial among the players."

Playing much of the season with a broken toe and a sprained wrist, Jackson set career highs in points (20.7), rebounds (5.1) and assists (6.5) last season to join LeBron James, Chris Paul and Dwyane Wade as the league's only players to average 20 points, five rebounds and six assists. Jackson compared the distractions of the physical pain he endured last season to his current disgruntlement.

"Even though I made the statements that I made, I'm going to come in here and play like I didn't make them," Jackson said. "But I'm never going to settle for losing. I'm always going to be upset or pissed off until I start winning."

Jackson thought the Warriors were a winner when they upset top-seeded Dallas in the 2007 playoffs.

"We've been taking steps back ever since," said Jackson, who, 18 months after the playoff appearance, signed a contract extension through 2013. "Who's going to turn down that money? I'm not stupid. I didn't go to college, but I have a lot of common sense."

E-mail Rusty Simmons at [email protected].

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/28/SPDE19TULF.DTL