PDA

View Full Version : Empire State Building turns red-yellow for China's 60th

spursncowboys
09-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Empire State Building turns red-yellow for China's 60th
(AFP) – 6 hours ago
NEW YORK — New York's iconic Empire State Building will light up red and yellow Wednesday in honor of the 60th anniversary of communist China.
The Chinese consul, Peng Keyu, and other officials will take part in the lighting ceremony which will bathe the skyscraper in the colors of the People's Republic until Thursday, Empire State Building representatives said in a statement.
The upper sections of the building are regularly illuminated to mark special occasions, ranging from all blue to mark "Old Blue Eyes" Frank Sinatra's death in 1998 to green for the annual Saint Patrick's Day.
Just last week the tower turned bright red.
However, that was not to mark some other communist achievement, but the 70th anniversary of the film "The Wizard of Oz" in which Dorothy wears ruby slippers rather than the silver of the original L. Frank Baum novel.

hope4dopes
09-28-2009, 09:19 PM
(AFP) – 6 hours ago
NEW YORK — New York's iconic Empire State Building will light up red and yellow Wednesday in honor of the 60th anniversary of communist China.
The Chinese consul, Peng Keyu, and other officials will take part in the lighting ceremony which will bathe the skyscraper in the colors of the People's Republic until Thursday, Empire State Building representatives said in a statement.
The upper sections of the building are regularly illuminated to mark special occasions, ranging from all blue to mark "Old Blue Eyes" Frank Sinatra's death in 1998 to green for the annual Saint Patrick's Day.
However, that was not to mark some other communist achievement, but the 70th anniversary of the film "The Wizard of Oz" in which Dorothy wears ruby slippers rather than the silver of the original L. Frank Baum novel. Cowboy do you know whose reponsible who make the decision to do this?

Shastafarian
09-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Cowboy do you know whose reponsible who make the decision to do this?

Obama?

Shastafarian
09-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Cowboy do you know whose reponsible who make the decision to do this?
Here's a hint...

(AFP) – 6 hours ago
However, that was not to mark some other communist achievement, but the 70th anniversary of the film "The Wizard of Oz" in which Dorothy wears ruby slippers rather than the silver of the original L. Frank Baum novel.

SouthernFried
09-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Doesn't China have an ownership interest?

spursncowboys
09-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Cowboy do you know whose reponsible who make the decision to do this? No, sorry. I doubt the group in the article decided to do this. Celebrating other countries birthdays, especially a ideology rubs bothers me.

coyotes_geek
09-28-2009, 10:17 PM
It's just one of the perks for agreeing to loan Uncle Sam $2 trillion dollars. For another $2 trillion we'll light up the Lincoln Memorial.

ChumpDumper
09-28-2009, 10:28 PM
No, sorry. I doubt the group in the article decided to do this.You doubt the owners of the Empire State Building would have decided how to shine the lights on their own building.

:shootme
Celebrating other countries birthdays, especially a ideology rubs bothers me.Take it up with the owners of the building.

Become an ESB Lighting Partner

This is a special opportunity to partner with the world’s most famous office building and its world famous tower lights.

The Lighting Partners program is designed to achieve the best and most constructive publicity for the Empire State Building and its Lighting Partners.

All special lighting requests are considered based on the merit of their cause, the benefit of their use of the special lighting and their treatment of the Empire State Building’s iconic image for the event and on an ongoing basis.

We receive hundreds of requests each year from countries and organizations seeking to become Empire State Building Lighting Partners. In order to evaluate each request, we ask that our questionnaire be reviewed, completed and submitted to us in a timely manner.

We appreciate your interest in the world famous tower lights and look forward to receiving your questionnaire so that a proper evaluation may be made for your opportunity to become an Empire State Building Lighting Partner.
http://www.esbnyc.com/tourism/tourism_lightingpartner.cfm?CFID=35441998&CFTOKEN=12969561

Now tell us who you really think makes these decisions.

v2freak
09-29-2009, 02:38 AM
No, sorry. I doubt the group in the article decided to do this. Celebrating other countries birthdays, especially a ideology rubs bothers me.

Precisely. It doesn't do much for me either.

Winehole23
09-29-2009, 12:14 PM
No, sorry. I doubt the group in the article decided to do this. Celebrating other countries birthdays, especially a ideology rubs bothers me.It's still a free country. People can celebrate whatever they want.

spursncowboys
09-29-2009, 12:23 PM
It's still a free country. People can celebrate whatever they want.
We are. The Chinese aren't. You are right though.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-29-2009, 12:38 PM
We're practically china. Just with rounder eyes.

MannyIsGod
09-29-2009, 12:45 PM
:lmao

hope4dopes
09-29-2009, 01:32 PM
I read in National Geo. they placed the genocide of the communist chinese regime at 60 million. What's not to celebrate.

nuclearfm
09-29-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm an idiot that ignores the deaths caused by my own interests. white power

Fixed

hope4dopes
09-29-2009, 02:20 PM
isn't capitalism ironic?Yeah the freedom to do anything even stupid shit.

ChumpDumper
09-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Hey, spursncowboys:
tell us who you really think makes these decisions.