PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Notebook - Jefferson's Thumb Injury Behind Him

duncan228
09-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Spurs notebook: Jefferson's thumb injury behind him (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_notebook_Jeffersons_thumb_injury_behind_him. html)
Mike Monroe

Declaring a dislocated right thumb suffered two weeks ago “a non-factor,” the Spurs' key offseason acquisition said he would participate in all activities in the team's first training camp session this morning.

Richard Jefferson, the 6-foot-7 forward acquired in a June trade that cost the Spurs three players, tested the thumb in shooting drills before a round of media-day interviews.

“My thumb is fine,” he said. “That (injury) was nothing; a non-factor. They put it in a splint and told me to rest it for a week, but I was out here shooting today, just fine. I'm not going to miss anything.

“I'm ready go to, session one, the whole time, not missing anything.”

Jefferson wants to waste no time learning the Spurs' offensive and defensive systems, so his fast recovery from the injury, suffered in a pickup game on Sept. 15, was welcome news.

“I'm looking forward to (learning),” he said. “There's a couple other guys who are going to be key components who are learning the system for the first time. I came into the league learning the Princeton offense, as difficult a system as you can learn. We did a pretty good job of mastering it, and it took us to the Finals twice.”

Jefferson will continue to wear jersey No. 24, his number during his seven seasons in New Jersey and his lone season in Milwaukee. New teammate Antonio McDyess has worn No. 24 through most of his 14 previous seasons, but Jefferson claimed it as soon as he arrived in San Antonio in late June. McDyess signed on July 10. He will wear No. 34.

Light work for Parker: After a summer spent helping France land a berth in next summer's FIBA World Championships, All-Star point guard Tony Parker will spend much of his time during the first two weeks of camp with shooting coach Chip Engelland and strength and conditioning coach Mike Brungardt.

Head coach Gregg Popovich, Parker said, wants him to limit his time on the court.

“He talked to me about it already,” Parker said. “The first couple of weeks, he just wants me to shoot free throws and get some shots up with Chip and stay with ‘Brungy,' the thing I love.

“So I'm going to lift and lift and make sure my body is strong for the season. I'm not going to play the first two or three (preseason) games. Then I'll start slowly and get back to normal rhythm.”

Open scrimmage set: The Spurs have scheduled a free, open scrimmage for Sunday at the AT&T Center. Doors will open at 1 p.m., with seating on a first-come, first-served basis.

The players will begin warming up for the game at 1:30 p.m.

Single-game tickets for games through Jan. 31 also will go on sale Sunday, with all outlets, including the AT&T Center, opening at noon.

rayray2k8
09-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Oh what the hell? On sunday?? Uh no, it's football season.

completely deck
09-28-2009, 11:30 PM
What I wouldn't give to sit in on that practice...

EricB
09-29-2009, 12:27 AM
Oh what the hell? On sunday?? Uh no, it's football season.

So Football > SPurs?

Interesting.

I love football but Spurs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Football

angelbelow
09-29-2009, 02:06 AM
I would love to see them give Mwill some burn at both guard positions. Since I don't know much about him other than the great articles I've read about him, I would love to see if he is a keeper or not.

WildcardManu
09-29-2009, 02:42 AM
I love football but Spurs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Football