PDA

View Full Version : Sculley withdraws as manager candidate

Taco
04-13-2005, 02:51 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA041305.sculleyout.en.1d46e36b4.html

NEW: Sculley withdraws as manager candidate
Web Posted: 04/13/2005 02:23 PM CDT

Greg Jefferson
San Antonio Express-News

Sheryl Sculley has withdrawn her name from consideration as San Antonio city manager, citing a lack of support among City Council members, Mayor Ed Garza announced this afternoon.

Sculley, assistant city manager in Phoenix, had been the City Council's lone finalist and had agreed to a proposed deal that included a $265,000 salary and additional benefits.

The council was to have voted on her Thursday.

Councilman Julian Castro, a mayoral candidate, today revealed that he would vote against the proposed contract. Sculley had said previously that she would not accept an offer from San Antonio without unanimous council support.

The Ressurrected One
04-13-2005, 02:53 PM
I think someone must have read SpursTalk.com...

I hear the toilet flushing now.

Useruser666
04-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Wow, good news. I think we should get a whole city council for what they were offering her.

bigzak25
04-13-2005, 03:10 PM
wow...even castro is listening to what hardberger has to say....

Useruser666
04-13-2005, 03:28 PM
http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=69B932BC-B45C-4EF3-BDD0-04C67DD934C9

New City Manager Deal Revealed
LAST UPDATE: 4/13/2005 6:44:35 AM
Posted By: Jim Forsyth

Watch this story...

The city of San Antonio and first assistant Phoenix city manager Sheryl Sculley today worked out an agreement for Sculley to become San Antonio's next city manager, 1200 WOAI's Bud Little reported today.

Sculley, who makes $173,000 in her job in Phoenix, will be paid a $265,000 a year base salary in San Antonio. On top of that salary, Sculley will receive a $6,000 annual expense allowance, a $400 monthly car allowance, a $70 monthly cell phone allowance, and the city will fund her membership in several city government and city management associations.

In addition, San Antonio will pay Sculley $20,000 in moving expenses, and will pay her $10,000 for her to travel to Phoenix twice a month for the coming 12 months. Sculley's husband Mike is an executive with a community sports association, and their son is a junior in high school in Phoenix, so the rest of her family is not expected to be moving to the Alamo City, at least not for the coming 15 months.

Figures released by the International City County Managers Association indicate Sculley will be the highest paid city manager in America, with her salary surpassing the $263,000 currently paid to the city manager of Dallas.

In addition, the city has agreed to fund health and retirement benefits for Sculley, and will pay her 12 months salary in a lump sum if she is fired at any time, in addition to maintaining her health insurance benefits for one year.

The deal is contingent on city council approval on Thursday. Sculley has indicates that if the vote is not unanimous, she will not accept the job.

Sculley will begin in June if council approves the agreement on Thursday. Ironically, June is also when the new city council which will be elected May 7th, many of whom have never met Sculley, will take office.

As with previous city managers, Sculley's agreement is 'at will,' meaning council could fire her at any time.

Former City Councilman Jimmy Hasslocher, who had a hand in hiring three city managers during his eleven years on city council, today criticized Garza's handling of the manager search, saying he should have allowed the next council to make the final decision, and also criticizing Garza for publically discussing the salary range the new city manager would be receiving.

Mayor Ed Garza (210) 207-7060 e-mail the Mayor
District 1 Roger O. Flores (210) 207-7279 e-mail District 1
District 2 Joel Williams (210) 207-7278 e-mail District 2
District 3 Ron H. Segovia (210) 207-7064 e-mail District 3
District 4 Richard Perez (210) 207-7281 e-mail District 4
District 5 Patti Radle (210) 207-7043 e-mail District 5
District 6 Enrique M. Barrera (210) 207-7065 e-mail District 6
District 7 Julian Castro (210) 207-7044 e-mail District 7
District 8 Art A. Hall (210) 207-7086 e-mail District 8
District 9 Carroll Schubert (210) 207-7325 e-mail District 9
District 10 Christopher "Chip" Haass (210) 207-7276 e-mail District 10

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

Nbadan
04-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Let me see...move to South Texas, the ass of the bible belt and hundreds of miles from anything really exciting to do, or stay in Phoenix, a half days drive to Las vegas and about a days drive to California and everything it has to offer....hummm...What to do?

Useruser666
04-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Uh, take the $92,000 dollars a year more she would be getting and fly to Vegas anytime she wanted firstclass!

Nbadan
04-13-2005, 03:39 PM
$92,000 to fight a already belligerent city council, be separated from friends and family, have to live with all the do's and don't of living in Texas, no thanks!

MannyIsGod
04-13-2005, 03:41 PM
wow...even castro is listening to what hardberger has to say....
Please!!!!! Castro did this as a reaction to the outrage, and nothing less. This sucks either way now, because Castro is going to benefit from it politcly. I hate that SOB.

Useruser666
04-13-2005, 03:42 PM
$92,000 to fight a already belligerent city council, be separated from friends and family, have to live with all the do's and don't of living in Texas, no thanks!

So Dan, I take it you don't live in Texas?

Useruser666
04-13-2005, 03:43 PM
Please!!!!! Castro did this as a reaction to the outrage, and nothing less. This sucks either way now, because Castro is going to benefit from it politcly. I hate that SOB.

I bet your right Manny. He's probably going to bring up city expenditure wastes now as a big issue and milk it all he can.

Nbadan
04-13-2005, 03:43 PM
So Dan, I take it you don't live in Texas?

Only when I have to because of friends and family, otherwise I prefer the West.

bigzak25
04-13-2005, 03:48 PM
i know castro is just going as the wind blows manny....i was just pointing out that hardberger was outraged from the beginning.

Taco
04-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Castro - ortsaC

Flip - pilF

Flop - polF

3rdCoast
04-13-2005, 04:17 PM
so dan's not a real texan?.... thats why hes a hippie. :pctoss

The Ressurrected One
04-13-2005, 04:27 PM
I just spent two weeks traveling the West through New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, and back through Southern Arizona and New Mexico. The roads, stores, and attitudes only deteriorated the further West I got.

Tell me there is a better place to get your groceries than Von's out there...

The only improvement was the scenery.

Useruser666
04-13-2005, 04:38 PM

So then stupidity doesn't run in your family, it started with you.

JoeChalupa
04-13-2005, 07:40 PM
They are all politicians so I hate all them sonsabitches!!

Clandestino
04-13-2005, 07:57 PM
where in the west dan?

and yes, castro only did this bc of the public outcry.. chip haas was sucking her off though on tv.. she is great and i am sure she will save the city millions, etc.. is what he was saying..

and there isn't shit in az or new mexico except phoenix.. and vegas is only cool for a few days at a time..

Bandit2981
04-13-2005, 09:27 PM
i think it was a big mistake for castro and radle to vote no...sculley was supposedly regarded by many to be one of the best overall in the whole nation...given the sad state of public works, roads, construction, etc, i felt she was worth the price to finally get shit done around here, unlike the damn 410/I10 interchange which has been undergoing construction for over 20 years now....ridiculous. i hope castro goes down hard!

JohnnyMarzetti
04-13-2005, 09:31 PM
No way she is worth that much. If she is then let some other city get the shaft.
We've been getting enough already.
We need some common folk in city council. Right now I'm still voting for Castro for Mayor.

Clandestino
04-13-2005, 10:45 PM
No way she is worth that much. If she is then let some other city get the shaft.
We've been getting enough already.
We need some common folk in city council. Right now I'm still voting for Castro for Mayor.

castro??? what has he done? him and schubert have shown as city council members they aren't worth a fuck... they have been fighting strippers instead of protecting the children of san antonio or anything else that should be a priority

Nbadan
04-13-2005, 11:04 PM
so dan's not a real texan?....

9/12th :hat

Nbadan
04-13-2005, 11:09 PM
I just spent two weeks traveling the West through New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, and back through Southern Arizona and New Mexico. The roads, stores, and attitudes only deteriorated the further West I got.

:wtf

Texas has some of the worst interstates in the nation, especially in the Panhandle and parts of West Texas (fucken deer!!), and don't even get me started about the lack of scenery. The people in Arizona, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Idaho (except the Arayans), Oregon, California, Montana, North and South Dakota, and Washington State, especially Seattle (but not Spokane :jack ) all rock!!

AFE7FATMAN
04-14-2005, 01:42 AM
This is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Can someone tell me Why this lady was sooo great?
What did she do, not what was on her resume.
By the way, lets not forget Lou Fox-He is in Lubbock for $200,000 a year. LOL
and Thanks Shity Council for not giving her a Unanimous vote
Mr Castro THANK YOU, but your still not getting my VOTE.

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 03:16 AM
Yeah, this city council loves overpaying people who aren't worth it.

Example?

Here you go:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11380&highlight=loeffler

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 07:19 AM
Shitty Council I like that term! :lol

And it's not the city manager who is totally behind the problems in SA.

Clandestino
04-14-2005, 08:03 AM

Texas has some of the worst interstates in the nation, especially in the Panhandle and parts of West Texas (fucken deer!!), and don't even get me started about the lack of scenery. The people in Arizona, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Idaho (except the Arayans), Oregon, California, Montana, North and South Dakota, and Washington State, especially Seattle (but not Spokane :jack ) all rock!!

i didn't know any people lived in wyoming, idaho, montana and the dakotas... and 80% of the people in california are either hippies or faggots! haha

Clandestino
04-14-2005, 09:18 AM
But after the mayor's office released details of the pact Tuesday, people angry about Sculley's proposed salary and other benefits sounded off on radio call-in programs and online polls and forums. And they contacted their council members.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/citycouncil/stories/MYSA041405.1A.sculley.1d635f035.html

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 09:47 AM
Interesting!

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Did anyone see the poll numbers? It was like 94% against to 4% in favor when I saw it yesterday! :lol

The Ressurrected One
04-14-2005, 10:20 AM

Thanks to LBJ, Texas has the best roads in the nation, bar none...and, I've driven in at least 40 of the 50 states in the past 5 years.

As for scenery, I'll grant the West has it on a grander scale, but Texas has Palo Duro Canyon - second only to the Grand Canyon. And, we have mountains, forests, plains, deserts, beaches, tropics, large metropolises, etc...

Aside from the Pacific Northwest, where I've never been, I've yet to find a state where the people are friendlier than in Texas. In fact, I'm constantly hearing from the people of those states I visit how nice and respectful Texans are when they come through.

Nbadan, if you're experiencing otherwise, maybe you should be looking in the mirror.

Clandestino
04-14-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks to LBJ, Texas has the best roads in the nation, bar none...and, I've driven in at least 40 of the 50 states in the past 5 years.

As for scenery, I'll grant the West has it on a grander scale, but Texas has Palo Duro Canyon - second only to the Grand Canyon. And, we have mountains, forests, plains, deserts, beaches, tropics, large metropolises, etc...

Aside from the Pacific Northwest, where I've never been, I've yet to find a state where the people are friendlier than in Texas. In fact, I'm constantly hearing from the people of those states I visit how nice and respectful Texans are when they come through.

Nbadan, if you're experiencing otherwise, maybe you should be looking in the mirror.

exactly.. that is first thing i hear no matter where i go... texans are super nice and friendly..

i lived in cali and have visited many times... lots of assholes and snobs.. the east is even worse.. hmm..maybe not..they don't say shit to you... they just act like you aren't there...

california has beaches, but the water is too fucking cold to do anything except look at it..

GoldToe
04-14-2005, 12:07 PM
I'm sure she got what she wanted. EXPOSURE.

Her next job will have to cough up the bucks now.

jcrod
04-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Keep forgetting to come to the political forum. I also think this is to much. Compared to what other city managers get, no way should she get this much.

desflood
04-14-2005, 01:38 PM
We just left California after four miserable years there. Full of idiots who are too egotistical to know they're idiots.

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 01:51 PM
I like Texas and Cali. I've spent a lot of time both places. I'd live in San Fransisco, but I'm not rich. Centeral California around Monterey and Carmel etc etc, would be nice as hell, but once again I'm not rich. I love the weather there.

I like the people here, but I'd love to live out West as well.

Nbadan
04-17-2005, 01:35 AM
We just left California after four miserable years there. Full of idiots who are too egotistical to know they're idiots.

San Antonio is also losing its small time charm. I remember the days when a trip to the market was a social event. Now, everyone is so much in a hurry, and always scared for no reason, If you dare to look at people directly in the eyes and wave a hello as they are meandering their way down the aisles, they think your a weirdo or your gonna try and sell them something.

The Ressurrected One
04-17-2005, 01:57 AM
San Antonio is also losing its small time charm. I remember the days when a trip to the market was a social event. Now, everyone is so much in a hurry, and always scared for no reason, If you dare to look at people directly in the eyes and wave a hello as they are meandering their way down the aisles, they think your a weirdo or your gonna try and sell them something.
That's probably just you Nbadan...

gophergeorge
04-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Won't pay her what she PROBABLY deserves... but they will spend HOW MANY MILLION for a sucky-ass soccer team?

Hook Dem
04-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Thats our current Mayor for you! He loves to have a good nut kicking contest. :lol

Nbadan
04-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Won't pay her what she PROBABLY deserves... but they will spend HOW MANY MILLION for a sucky-ass soccer team?

For once I agree with GG. The city manager is the most important 'non-elected' position in SA city government. Maybe Sculley could have helped clean up some of the shennanigans going on downtown, but thanks to a well-coordinated attack by these same 'evil-doers', I guess now we'll never know.