PDA

View Full Version : The 10 Best Shooting Guards Of The Last Decade

duncan228
09-29-2009, 04:15 AM
The 10 best shooting guards of the last decade (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/The-10-best-shooting-guards-of-the-last-decade;_ylt=Arfd34Up.h6rwHoEsVIBdT68vLYF?urn=nba,1 92484)
By Kelly Dwyer
Ball Don't Lie

OK, we know the first decade of the 21st century doesn't really end until 2011. We think. But we also know there have been 10 full NBA seasons played since the phrase "Y2K" was on all of our lips (1999-2000), and here at Ball Don't Lie we've decided to use this as an offseason excuse to rank some of the best and not-so-brightest of the 10 campaigns in question. The result? Why, top 10 lists!

That's what a shooting guard looks like.

Michael Jordan, Ron Harper. Lithe, athletic, ready to pounce. Shoot, drive, score. Run, jump, score. Dash, hop, score. Nice.

Not much to this. Just the top 10 shooting guards of the last decade.

10. Jerry Stackhouse

Stackhouse's highs were a little higher than the man who immediately follows him on this list - someone he was actually traded for in September of 2002 - but his lows were certainly a lot lower.

That said, potent scorer. Not exactly the most efficient scorer, but certainly a potent one for years, on several teams. Stack actually neared the 30-point-per-game mark back in 2000-01, but on a squad that saw him lose 50 games, shoot 24 times a game (making fewer than 10 shots per contest), and turn it over 4.1 times a night? A bit of a hollow accomplishment.

9. Richard Hamilton

I seem to have spent the last half-decade trying to warn people that they might be overrating Hamilton a bit; his significant presence on several standout Pistons teams allows for that. But Hamilton's case hardly need exaggerating.

He's been a rock-solid shooting guard on one of the decade's most consistent outfits for years, even if he looks like a softly tossed rock could knock him over. Just under 18 points per game in 33 minutes a contest for Hamilton, on a career that started the season this list began.

8. Brandon Roy

Not to stir anything up, please promise me you'll take this as a pump-up of Roy's abilities more than anything else, but worth pointing out:

Brandon Roy's PER (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_Efficiency_Rating), at age 24? Twenty-four.

Kobe Bryant's? Twenty-six, surrounded by three different campaigns that saw him end with a PER in the mid-23s.

In fact, Roy's PER was just a short step behind Bryant's last season, in a year that saw Bryant mentioned (undeservedly, I might add, amongst career years from LeBron James, Chris Paul and Dwyane Wade) among MVP candidates.

The guy is for real. And even if last year was a fluke jump in production, his first two seasons have Roy pegged for stardom anyway. And if last year is any indication, he'll be the league's most underappreciated superstar for quite a while. Sadly, and excitedly.

7. Michael Redd

His first three seasons saw Redd ride the pine way too much (most frustratingly in 2002-03, a year that saw George Karl trot out Tim Thomas as a starter 70 times for the Milwaukee Bucks), and he's missed a total of 88 games over the last three seasons. But in that creamy middle lies a fantastic scorer who is ridiculously adept at shooting, not turning the ball over, and absolutely nothing else.

6. Manu Ginobili

Manu Ginobili has never played 80 games in a season, and I'm sorry, but that hurts. He's averaged 69 games a year in his seven-year career, so it's not as if he's taking entire seasons off, but throw in all the gimpy attempts to play through injury, and the seven-year term (compared to someone like Allen Iverson's 10-year run through the, um, 10-year decade) is something you have to consider.

That said, as Kobe mentioned, Manu's a bad, bad boy. He scores, shoots a high percentage, rebounds, dishes, picks up steals and defends. He's the complete package that just happens to not play all that much (27.7 minutes per game for his career).

5. Allen Iverson

Iverson is the anti-Michael Redd. Not a shooter, turns the ball over way too much (even though he uses far more possessions), he needs the ball to be effective (instead of shooting off screens), and he kills a lot of offense by dribbling, dribbling, shooting, and missing.

He also scores. I just don't know enough about the game to accurately try to place Iverson's levels of production amongst his peers or the players who came before him. Nor am I going to try to tell you whether or not his teams were winning in spite of him, or whether he was let down by a series of unfortunate teammates. Thirteen years after he was drafted first overall, his style, in this league? I still don't know where it fits. I don't think anyone, if they're honest, really knows.

Here's what I can tell you. He's averaged 27 points and six assists a game on his career. He was the sole offensive option on a team that made the Finals in 2001, and he's one of the greatest this league has ever seen at getting off his own shot. If that last accomplishment ends up being a good or bad thing depends on quite a bit, but it's worth noting.

4. Ray Allen

For years, Allen was considered to be just a step behind Kobe Bryant amongst the league's off guards, and that may have been a solid assessment, but it was a huge step and an assessment that doesn't quite hold up on the decade-long tally.

Allen's been fantastic and improperly criticized at times, but his all-around game (the rebounds, the assists, the "D") just isn't there in comparison to the men who made the top three.

Still, Allen can shoot. And he works at it. And he can shoot. And he scores well. And he has a ring. And he can shoot. The next 3-pointer he hits will be his 2,300th, he's averaged 20.9 points per game on the career alongside stellar marks of just under 45 percent from the floor (consider where his attempts are coming from), 40 percent from long range and 89.3 percent from the charity stripe.

3. Vince Carter

Carp at VC all you want, I'll lead the chants, but the man brought it all decade.

Most of the decade. He took some of the decade off, I guess.

When he didn't take parts of decades off, Carter threw together averages of 23.5 points, 5.5 rebounds and 3.8 assists. He's become a much better passer and defender as his career has moved along, while establishing a post-up game. And while he was pretty injury-prone to start the decade, Carter hasn't really missed much time in the years since 2002-03.

2. Dwyane Wade

Wade has only averaged 66 games a year over his career, and he's played just six seasons in the NBA, but ... he's Dwyane Wade.

He has a ring, teams have a hard time stopping him from scoring a whole lot of points, and he's Dwyane Wade. He's averaged 25.2 points per game on 48 percent shooting, 6.7 assists, five boards and 2.8 combined blocks/steals on his career. Very, very good, he is.

1. Kobe Bryant

Very, very brilliant, this man is.

You're well aware of his stats; he's essentially a Jordan-lite. You're aware that he's won four rings, made the Finals two other times, and is one of the greatest backcourt practitioners to ever play this game. And that, at age 31, he's on what might be the deepest and most talented team of his career, a team coming off a Finals victory.

What always impresses me most, is the man's dedication. Complain about the off-court stuff, how calculating he seems, how he can appear pretty transparent at times, I don't mind. You'd be right, in that regard. But you have to respect the amount of work he puts into the game that we love. Work that, I'm sorry, some of our favorite players both past and present just couldn't be bothered to do.

Can't blame those guys, you can only go so hard for so long without getting burned out. Kobe's love is a special love, though. A sick one. MJ had that sickness, Magic had it, Bird had it, Russell had it. All the greats had it.

He's not at their level. But he made damn sure he gave himself every opportunity he could to work toward their level.

Kobe Bryant is the greatest shooting guard of the decade. It's not even close.

romain.star
09-29-2009, 04:27 AM
IMO, the SG TOP 10 of last decade is more like:

10. Redd
9. Stackhouse
8. Mc Grady
7. Carter
6. Hamilton
5. Ginobili
4. Allen
3. Wade
2. Iverson
1. Bryant

DespЏrado
09-29-2009, 04:31 AM
Another poorly thought out list. Should look more like:

1 Kobe
2 Wade
3 Manu
4 Hamilton
5 Allen
6 Joe Johnson
7 McGrady
8 Carter
9 Redd
10 Allen Iverson

Dro210
09-29-2009, 04:45 AM
1. Kobe
2. Wade (closer to Kobe than you think)
3. Manu
4. Iverson
5. Carter/McGrady
7. Allen
8. Hamilton
who cares

will_spurs
09-29-2009, 04:51 AM
Kelly Dwyer [...] I just don't know enough about the game

Fixed.

#2!
09-29-2009, 04:56 AM
i don't think this list is the worst of the series, though i am disappointed in the lack of a real write-up on manu(seriously you'd think his only skill is getting injured), but really...fuck kelly dwyer. He/she is a terrible sports writer, and there's usually a feel of "i don't really know what I'm saying but also don't care enough to find out." Like he just doesn't think anyone is going to read these things so he slaps them together with the same lame introduction paragraph, and has the same names at the top of his lists, and usually has to take Lebron James's dick out of his mouth before he can run into the living room and proclaim to his mother that he's finished and that its time for chocolate milk.

kobyz
09-29-2009, 05:22 AM
1 Kobe Bryant
2 Dwyane Wade
3 Manu Ginobili
4 Tracy McGrady
5 Vince Carter
6 Ray Allen
7 Richard Hamilton
8 Joe Johnson
9 Brandon Roy
10 Allen Iverson

eisfeld
09-29-2009, 05:25 AM
Actually, the list is too messed up.

#1 Kobe - no doubt about it
#2 Wade - young, magnificent scorer and has proven to be able to carry a team
#3 Iverson - Putting Ray Allen or Vince Carter ahead of him is just ridiculous.
#4 Carter - Arguable pick, but he deserves to be here. He has proven that he can contribute early on in his career and hasn't lost much during his career.
#5 Manu - If he would have joined the NBA a few years earlier and would not have been injured so often he would rank above Carter.
#6 Ray Allen - A deadly shooter on bad teams most of his career. In Boston he showed that he can be a star on a loaded team despite his age. Still, he does not have the skillset the player above have.
#7 Tracy McGrady - Injury prone but when he was healthy and in his prime the guy was a beast. If he would have stayed healthy his entire career he would rank 3rd or 4th.
#8 Rip Hamilton - His ability to move without the ball and his success with Detroit earned him the spot on the list.
#9 Joe Johnson - Can't believe he was overlooked in the lost. A SG with his size and lateral movement is rare and a nightmare matchup for other guards.
#10 Michael Redd - His skills with the ball are great. Natural shooter and extremely good courtvision.
#11 Jerry Stackhouse - From hero to zero... efficient in his prime and a great scorer. He declined to fast that he does not belong in the top 10.

Chieflion
09-29-2009, 05:35 AM
Allen Iverson is #2 or 3. Kobe is number 1. The rest, is actually quite decent.

DieMrBond
09-29-2009, 05:52 AM
"I just don't know enough about the game..."

All you need to know...