PDA

View Full Version : Groundhog Day: Beno complaining about the coach and his role.

mountainballer
09-29-2009, 07:28 AM
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/09/28/kings-beno-udrih-blames-coaching-for-17-win-season/

Kings' Beno Udrih Blames Coaching For 17-Win Season

Posted Sep 28, 2009 10:42PM By Tom Ziller (RSS feed)

A lot of Kings fans, myself included, spent the 2008-09 season bemoaning the inability of Sacramento starting point guard Beno Udrih to cleanly pass the ball. But let me assure you: Beno has no problem passing the blame.

A candid, borderline cheerful Beno discussed the abominable 17-win season with Sacramento media Monday. And his opinion on what went wrong was impossible to misinterpret: blame coaches Reggie Theus and Kenny Natt.

"Sometimes last season, I didn't know if I was a small forward or a point guard," the 6'3 Udrih said. "We were definitely confused. We didn't have roles."

The Kings signed Udrih to a five-year, $30 million extension before the 2008-09 season kicked off. Udrih had joined Sacramento as a minimum salary free agent the season prior when Mike Bibby went down with a sprained thumb and the back-up plan at the point guard position -- current New Zealand league stud Orien Greene and swingman Francisco Garcia -- didn't work out. The fan and media perception was that after inking his big contract, Udrih lost the fire that drove his solid 2007-08 Kings debut.

But Udrih insisted Monday that coaches never really put the team -- or the ball -- in his hands.

"As a point guard, am I just supposed to dribble past half-court and pass the ball? That's how it happened, because everyone wanted the ball, and the coach didn't set roles," Udrih said. "Coaches have to set roles."

The point guard made a point to note how differently the team under Theus -- who was fired in December -- and rookie coach Natt had been run in comparison with the Spurs teams coached by Gregg Popovich Udrih played with to open his NBA career. Udrih never seemed sentimental about his time in San Antonio, where he clashed with Popovich over minutes, until experiencing the dread of a cellar-dwelling team.

Udrih missed out on Eurobasket due to an injury suffered during tournament preparations. His Slovenian team qualified for the 2010 FIBA World Championships. Udrih said Kings medical staff checked out his knee Monday morning, and everything came up roses.

He hardly seems ready to relinquish the starting point guard role believed to be the birthright of rookie Tyreke Evans. In fact, he hardly seemed ready to admit Evans is even a full-time point guard.

"I just see Sergio [Rodriguez] and I as being the real point guards, the pure point guards," Udrih said. "I see Tyreke as playing the one and the two, as a combination." Kings coach Paul Westphal wouldn't commit to a starter at the position, though Evans starting at point guard during Vegas Summer League and Kevin Martin is the incumbent at two-guard.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spurs Brazil
09-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Beno is pathetic

Muser
09-29-2009, 08:01 AM
But Udrih insisted Monday that coaches never really put the team -- or the ball -- in his hands.

That's because you suck Beno.

KidCongo
09-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Evans will make him his bitch in training camp.

Mel_13
09-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Martin texted the Kings' decision makers the morning of the draft to let them know he wanted Evans, even if some think the former Memphis star is better suited to play Martin's spot at shooting guard.

"A lot of people say he's not a true point, but that doesn't matter," Martin said at Kings media day Monday. "The last five years I've been playing with guys who were actually point guards who think they're '2' guards.":lol

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/story/2216515.html

baseline bum
09-29-2009, 02:59 PM
http://www.sports4dorks.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/0b84d_8470a_benosuckszd6.jpg

Chomag
09-29-2009, 04:01 PM
martin texted the kings' decision makers the morning of the draft to let them know he wanted evans, even if some think the former memphis star is better suited to play martin's spot at shooting guard.

"a lot of people say he's not a true point, but that doesn't matter," martin said at kings media day monday. "the last five years i've been playing with guys who were actually point guards who think they're '2' guards.":lol

rolf!!!

lefty
09-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Fuck him

Maybe if he didn't bring the ball up as if he was holding a hot potatoe against the Pistons, he would have kept his job with the Spurs

rjv
09-29-2009, 04:05 PM
all he needs to do now to cement the de ja vu feeling is report to camp out of shape and then sprain his ankle.

EricB
09-29-2009, 07:09 PM
but but but its all pop's fault!!!!

Nice move Petrie giving him that money....

timtonymanu
09-29-2009, 07:13 PM
and this bitch got the MLE.

ShoogarBear
09-29-2009, 07:23 PM
A lot of Kings fans, myself included, spent the 2008-09 season bemoaning the inability of Sacramento starting point guard Beno Udrih to cleanly pass the ball. But let me assure you: Beno has no problem passing the blame.

The fan and media perception was that after inking his big contract, Udrih lost the fire that drove his solid 2007-08 Kings debut.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PLjNWOu-Zn0/ScpgE7diU0I/AAAAAAAAAd4/MR8l5f9sDtY/s400/shocked+to+find+gaming.jpg

SenorSpur
09-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Sounds like someone hasn't "gotten over themselves".

mogrovejo
09-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Martin texted the Kings' decision makers the morning of the draft to let them know he wanted Evans, even if some think the former Memphis star is better suited to play Martin's spot at shooting guard.

"A lot of people say he's not a true point, but that doesn't matter," Martin said at Kings media day Monday. "The last five years I've been playing with guys who were actually point guards who think they're '2' guards.":lol

Classic.

superbigtime
09-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Without high character locker room guys around, Beno's true inner bitch comes out. Sorry Kings fans. This franchise has really really fallen.

kamikazi_player
09-29-2009, 10:39 PM
lol i think Beno's right, they have pretty terrible coaching, but he shouldn't be talking as well.

Typhoon
09-30-2009, 01:24 AM
The newest big 3 , cannot be beat.

http://www.ole.clarin.com/diario/2009/09/29/basquet/fotos/andres.jpg

angelbelow
09-30-2009, 03:11 AM
hahaha beano

Hemotivo
09-30-2009, 07:02 AM
Kings' Beno Udrih Blames Coaching For 17-Win Season

"As a point guard, am I just supposed to dribble past half-court and pass the ball?"

:downspin:

Kamnik
09-30-2009, 07:46 AM
Holy shit Beno... Don't embarrass yourself and your countrymen... :depressed

:(

Kobayagi
09-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Holy shit Beno... Don't embarrass yourself and your countrymen... :depressed

:(

Hey, I'm not embarassed by him. At least not more than every US citizen is embarassed by Marbury, Artest, West and their antics. :hat

Kamnik
09-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Hey, I'm not embarassed by him. At least not more than every US citizen is embarassed by Marbury, Artest, West and their antics. :hat

Good point :toast

lefty
09-30-2009, 11:56 AM
:downspin:
Exactly :lol

He couldn't do that vs the Pistons in 2005