PDA

View Full Version : Speculation: Blair will be a starter.

SpurNation
09-29-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm not an "In the Know" or have close sources but I speculate that if DeJuan Blair catches on to the Spurs system fast enough he will be starting opposite of Duncan.

The beast of the east from Pitt has all the complimentary skills Tim Duncan can thrive off of. TD last year was a one man wrecking crew in the post game for the Spurs. But that took it's toll later in the season. With no immediate or dependable help...Tim Duncan was physically punished on the inside last year.

Enter Blair as the youth, savy and skills to compliment Duncan in the post and we get to see TD at his best regarding the past 2 years. And I'm not saying that I think McDyess doesn't have the ability more so than I think TD and McD on the court at the same time nulifies each other's game and the team might not get all that can be produced from both if on the floor at the same time.

McD coming off the bench with TD resting allows the Spurs to continue post presence domination in their game. Having both on the floor at the same time might be great for close games at the end when both have been able to have reasonable periods of rest during the game. But having DB on the court snagging offensive boards left and right while providing youthfull weak side D is going to be a blessing for TD.

That plus the fact that McD's experience will be a valuble asset on the court while fronting a 2nd unit. Him and Ginobili together will provide leadership and skills that most NBA teams would like to have even on their respective 1st team units.

Of course... a lot of rookies don't make first team in the nba unless they are truly a top 10 to 15 pick. But DeJuan Blair was projected by many to be just that. We'll see. If the beast of the east is unleashed and proves to be all he has been touted to be...Tim Duncan will reign even more supreme and our second unit with a proven and great player like McDyess will allow the Spurs to maintain and even build on leads the first unit may establish.

hater
09-29-2009, 11:26 AM
nope

xtremesteven33
09-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Duncan doesnt want to be given the title "Center", and seeing a 6'6'' rookie as the Spurs starting Center looks funny on paper....

koriwhat
09-29-2009, 11:35 AM
i dont know... i was talking about this same scenario last night with a friend. same exact thing!

rjv
09-29-2009, 11:37 AM
not going to happen.

coyotes_geek
09-29-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm sure Blair and Duncan will share some time on the court during games, but not as starters. McDyess starting next to Duncan is a lock.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-29-2009, 11:39 AM
I don't think he'll start, but he'll play. I'm excited to see him out there. I think his ability on the glass is going to make things easier for Duncan. It should be fun!

Dex
09-29-2009, 11:48 AM
After Ginobili's exploits, Spurs fans should know that its not about who's on the court to start the game, but who's there to finish it.

That being said, I don't think Blair will be a starter or a closer, but I certainly think (moreso hope) that he will be productive enough to respectably earn 25-30 minutes of the big man rotation.

When it comes down to crunch time, though, I'd bet Pop opts for the experience of McDyess.

tlongII
09-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Blair's knees will blow up about 30 games into the season.

rjv
09-29-2009, 11:58 AM

about 28 games after oden's do.

Destro
09-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Blair gets the Malik role this year, off the bench energy big

Gutter92
09-29-2009, 12:03 PM

+1

The_Game
09-29-2009, 12:24 PM
LOL the rest of the league will be laughing to the bank if Blair become your starter. he simply isn't good enough to start.

Solid D
09-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Rookies don't start for Pop unless you are Tony Parker competing with Antonio Daniels. You've made your speculation and gotten it out there, at least, but unless the swine flu hits the Spurs, you shouldn't annoint him starter. NBA experience is a big thing.

BillMc
09-29-2009, 12:41 PM

+2

SpurNation
09-29-2009, 12:44 PM
LOL the rest of the league will be laughing to the bank if Blair become your starter. he simply isn't good enough to start.

I hope Blair reads your post. It seemed he had plenty of motivation to prove the other teams wrong when past up in the draft...this comment just might even make him even more fun too watch when going against the Lakers.

We'll see.

It'll all depend on how the team gels. TD and McD are great post players. Not so sure they would compliment each other though by playing at the same time. Kind of like TP and Manu playing at the same time as starters. One nulifies the full potential of the other when both play at the same time. After McD...I don't see anybody capable of being the starter next to TD other than Blair if Blair catches on.

And if he catches on quick and proves to be a huge assest to the team and TD while playing at the same time...why shouldn't that be the case if McD can be used at full potential coming off the bench while TD is resting?

Bottom line...it's really exciting just to have the options available that the team didn't have last year. I think Blair will prove to be better than you think he will become. The fun part is when he proves it while playing agaisnt your Lakers whether he's starting or not.

Bartleby
09-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Rookies don't start for Pop unless you are Tony Parker competing with Antonio Daniels.

Exactly

kbrury
09-29-2009, 12:48 PM
I hope Blair reads your post. It seemed he had plenty of motivation to prove the other teams wrong when past up in the draft...this comment just might even make him even more fun too watch when going against the Lakers.

We'll see.

It'll all depend on how the team gels. TD and McD are great post players. Not so sure they would compliment each other though by playing at the same time. Kind of like TP and Manu playing at the same time as starters. One nulifies the full potential of the other when both play at the same time. After McD...I don't see anybody capable of being the starter next to TD other than Blair if Blair catches on.

And if he catches on quick and proves to be a huge assest to the team and TD while playing at the same time...why shouldn't that be the case if McD can be used at full potential coming off the bench while TD is resting?

Bottom line...it's really exciting just to have the options available that the team didn't have last year. I think Blair will prove to be better than you think he will become. The fun part is when he proves it while playing agaisnt your Lakers whether he's starting or not.

Actually Pop will probably have Mcdyess camp out at the top of the post his jumpshot is much better then his postgame at this point in his career.

elbamba
09-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Blair will need a year to get adjusted to the NBA. Pop will not play a rookie at the starting role with the depth that the team has this year. That does not mean that Blair will not get a chance to prove himself. He will probably get some time with Tim so that he can take advantage of the offensive boards, but there is no way he will be a starter.

MoSpur
09-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Dice will be the starting center for the Spurs and Duncan will be at the PF position next to him. There is no doubt Blair will be an energy off the bench like Manu.

lefty
09-29-2009, 01:07 PM
He won't start

Leetonidas
09-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Duncan and Dice cancel each other's games out? What games have you been watching? McDyess can do exactly what the Spurs need him to do. Play the inside-outside game with Tim, hit some midrange jumpers, grab some boards, and a putback here or there. He's not gonna be dominating the post, that's Tim's job.

LakeShow
09-29-2009, 01:42 PM
I think if Blair does become a good player that the Spurs will have to start him. Do you guys have any concerns about the size of your front line? Duncans weight loss looks like it will make it easier to push him around next season. Dice is just too small to be an effective center. Sure he can compete with the easts centers but he can't stop the centers of the West, imo.

Ron Artest is bigger and stronger than the Spurs front line, that can't be good for the Spurs.

rjv
09-29-2009, 01:43 PM
I think if Blair does become a good player that the Spurs will have to start him. Do you guys have any concerns about the size of your front line? Duncans weight loss looks like it will make it easier to push him around next season. Dice is just too small to be an effective center. Sure he can compete with the easts centers but he can't stop the centers of the West, imo.

Ron Artest is bigger and stronger than the Spurs front line, that can't be good for the Spurs.

did artest grow a few inches too ?

greyforest
09-29-2009, 01:59 PM
this guy is a non-superstar rookie

noobs

LakeShow
09-29-2009, 02:00 PM
did artest grow a few inches too ?

no but he is a solid 260lbs and he can play the 4 and not allow players to back him down. He also takes up a lot of space in the paint. Dice may be able to not allow Centers to back him down but he wont be able to stop a 285 pound Bynum from backing him down and shooting over him easily. You'll have to put Duncan on him and the way Duncan looks right now, he wont be able to either. Just saying

SpurNation
09-29-2009, 02:03 PM
Duncan and Dice cancel each other's games out? What games have you been watching? McDyess can do exactly what the Spurs need him to do. Play the inside-outside game with Tim, hit some midrange jumpers, grab some boards, and a putback here or there. He's not gonna be dominating the post, that's Tim's job.

Fair enough and their experience alone would probably allow that to happen without problem.

But who other than McD could provide a dominating post presense if Duncan is resting?

Scenario if Blair proves to be starting worthy:

Parker, Mason, Jefferson, Duncan and Blair.
2nd unit- Hill, Ginobilli, Finley, McDyess and Mahinmi/Ratliff

As compared to..
Parker, Mason, Jefferson, Duncan, McDyess
2nd unit- Hill, Ginobilli, Finley, Blair, Mahinmi/Ratliff

I just see a better ballance of attack and ability to maintain in the first scenario than I see in the second.

By all means...the actual coaching staff knows better than I what will work best...but it would be a great way to regulate minutes during the regular season to help keep everyone fresh for the playoffs if Blair proves to be that type of player.

TimDunkem
09-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Blair will most likely be the first big off the bench.

DPG21920
09-29-2009, 02:15 PM

We'll see.

Parker and Gino play a lot of minutes together and they do not cancel each other out. That is how the Spurs win; they have their best players on the court at the same time.

SpurCharger
09-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Blair will not Start.... I see Blair Playing The Malik Rose Role. A Lil Spark off the Bench

mookie2001
09-29-2009, 02:17 PM
scenario if blair proves to be starting worthy:

Parker, mason, jefferson, duncan and blair.
2nd unit- hill, ginobilli, finley, mcdyess and mahinmi/ratliff

as compared to..
Parker, mason, jefferson, duncan, mcdyess
2nd unit- hill, ginobilli, finley, blair, mahinmi/ratliff

link?

dbestpro
09-29-2009, 02:18 PM
I say start Mahinmi. He can get his 5 fouls in the first two minutes and be done for the game. While the officials are busy with Ian, they will leave Timmy alone. At least for the first two minutes.
o\../o
----

da_suns_fan
09-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Glad to know that my fellow Suns fans arent the only ones with crazy expectations for un-proven rookies.

I used to get furious at how much love DJ Strawberry would get on phxsuns.net.

WildcardManu
09-29-2009, 02:20 PM

If it does happen at least he will have played more games on his rookie season than your #1 bust did.

DPG21920
09-29-2009, 02:22 PM
In all honesty, if a rookie big is going to somehow start, Ian has a better chance than Blair because of position and style of play.

SpurNation
09-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Parker and Gino play a lot of minutes together and they do not cancel each other out. That is how the Spurs win; they have their best players on the court at the same time.

I never said they didn't play on the court at the same time. I said they don't start together.

If the logic of your best players at the same time were in effect with the Spurs...Ginobilli would start. But he's too valuable for our second team.

I'm just saying the exact thing regarding Blair and McDyess.

McDyess off the bench would be better than anything we've had in the past 3 years with Duncan going for rest. We've gotten destroyed in the post over the past 3 years because of inadequate post players available when Duncan has to sit for a rest. McDyess's experience would combat that situation.

kbrury
09-29-2009, 02:38 PM
I never said they didn't play on the court at the same time. I said they don't start together.

If the logic of your best players at the same time were in effect with the Spurs...Ginobilli would start. But he's too valuable for our second team.

I'm just saying the exact thing regarding Blair and McDyess.

McDyess off the bench would be better than anything we've had in the past 3 years with Duncan going for rest. We've gotten destroyed in the post over the past 3 years because of inadequate post players available when Duncan has to sit for a rest. McDyess's experience would combat that situation.

I understand your thinking but Blair in the starting lineup could be really bad against some of the frontlines in the west, I think hes better off going in the game off the bench. Also I think your putting a little too much into McDyess's postgame.

DPG21920
09-29-2009, 02:39 PM
No, there is a huge difference, because although "Manu does not start" he plays starters minutes and is in there when it matters.

Blair will not be playing starters minutes or out there when it matters. You said having Parker and Ginobili on the court at the same time nullifies them. That is not accurate.

Blackjack
09-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Fair enough and their experience alone would probably allow that to happen without problem.

But who other than McD could provide a dominating post presense if Duncan is resting?

Scenario if Blair proves to be starting worthy:

Parker, Mason, Jefferson, Duncan and Blair.
2nd unit- Hill, Ginobilli, Finley, McDyess and Mahinmi/Ratliff

As compared to..
Parker, Mason, Jefferson, Duncan, McDyess
2nd unit- Hill, Ginobilli, Finley, Blair, Mahinmi/Ratliff

I just see a better ballance of attack and ability to maintain in the first scenario than I see in the second.

By all means...the actual coaching staff knows better than I what will work best...but it would be a great way to regulate minutes during the regular season to help keep everyone fresh for the playoffs if Blair proves to be that type of player.

'Dyess is essentially a more athletic Kurt Thomas offensively.

He's not a post-player.

There will be times where Tim and Blair share the court, and do so effectively depending on matchups, but the best compliment to Tim is someone who can stretch the defense and allow him to work without a crowd.

Blair's game, at this point, would relegate Tim to the much less effective jump-shooting role that's more to the benefit of the opposition than the Spurs; Tim's post game controls tempo, taxes a defense, creates offense, and makes life easier for his teammates on both ends of the court. Tim is the pivot. If you don't utilize that ability the majority of the time he's out there, you're not maximizing his or the teams potential. -- It's those assets that don't show up as much in the boxscore that explain his dominance; Even if it's not comprehended by some of those who follow and cover the game. --

More often than not, you'd like to replace Tim with another post player when he gets his breather. Blair, Ratliff and Mahinmi are probably the best options in such a scenario.

'Dyess is their second best 'big' and most complimentary player to Tim. So, it would make sense for him to play around 30-32 min. and that the majority of those minutes coincide with Tim's, right?

Thus, 'Dyess needs to start.

TMTTRIO
09-29-2009, 02:52 PM
^The thing about Manu starting with the other two was because the time he was out there at the beginning of the game was being wasted not doing much on the court while Tim and Tony were the ones who got everything running.

Spursmania

Shutup Tlong

SpurNation
No, there is a huge difference, because although "Manu does not start" he plays starters minutes and is in there when it matters.

Blair will not be playing starters minutes or out there when it matters. You said having Parker and Ginobili on the court at the same time nullifies them. That is not accurate.

Go back and read what I wrote...
Kind of like TP and Manu playing at the same time as starters.

I also have said...IF Blair proves to be good enough to start...I like the idea of McDyess coming off the bench to provide leadership and "quality" post play as well as help regulate his minutes during the regular season.

That's no different than what they do with Manu now and I'm sure they will have to start doing that for Duncan.

I'm also sure there will be times when there might be many types of rotations on the floor until the last 2 months of the season just to see what works best...I'm "speculating" about Blair if he becomes that good...that's all.

DPG21920
09-29-2009, 02:54 PM
. Kind of like TP and Manu playing at the same time as starters. One nulifies the full potential of the other when both play at the same time.

Even though Manu does not start, TP and Manu play a lot at the same time. Blair starting for the reasons you give is not anywhere close to the same logic on why Ginobili starts on the bench.

Not to mention your reasons are wrong and Dice is not a "quality post player".

SpurNation
09-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Even though Manu does not start, TP and Manu play a lot at the same time. Blair starting for the reasons you give is not anywhere close to the same logic on why Ginobili starts on the bench.

Not to mention your reasons are wrong and Dice is not a "quality post player".

...AS STARTERS

And McD not a quality post player....lol
He would be better than anybody else not named Duncan on the team.

I never said Blair would have to be an all star either...just good enough to play starter minutes. You think he won't...I do.

Duncan on the bench without anybody else playing post other than McDyess will equal the same results as last year when TD had to rest. Blair is not an offensive post player...Dice is.

TD out...McDyess in = points in the paint >>>> Blair and whoever is left to play along with Blair.

kbrury
09-29-2009, 03:24 PM
If you use McDyess as a Post player you are under utilizing his best offensive talent his jump shot.

DPG21920
09-29-2009, 03:27 PM
I clearly put in bold where you made a distinction between starting together and playing together. But continue to have your opinion that Blair will compliment Duncan and that Dice is a good post player. You are entitled.

rjv
09-29-2009, 03:27 PM
no but he is a solid 260lbs and he can play the 4 and not allow players to back him down. He also takes up a lot of space in the paint. Dice may be able to not allow Centers to back him down but he wont be able to stop a 285 pound Bynum from backing him down and shooting over him easily. You'll have to put Duncan on him and the way Duncan looks right now, he wont be able to either. Just saying

the spurs have plenty of big bodies to throw at LA in different situations.

Blackjack
09-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Blair is not an offensive post player...Dice is.

This is where your premise fails.

'Dyess is a high-post player. He's a quality big, but he does the majority of his damage offensively by facing the basket.

Blair lives and breathes in the paint. It's where he makes his living.

His post-game is still developing but he's still much more of a post-player than 'Dyess.

lefty
09-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Ratliff will start.

He will block a few shots to start the game, which will dictate the defensive tempo for the Spurs.

ginobilized
09-29-2009, 03:44 PM
I like the idea of Blair on the high energy 2nd team.
Hill, Ginobili, Finley, Blair and Ratliff is a solid defensive/high-energy/rebounding
unit. I don't believe Blair is yet ready to compete with the top tier of NBA 4s and 5s.
It's such an awesome blessing to have so many lineup options. Pop's gonna be working
his magic in fine detail by April.

nuclearfm
09-29-2009, 03:45 PM
I think Blair is a legitimate ROY, I don't know about being a consistent starter (at least this early). We're due another one about now.

DPG21920
09-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Blair won't be close to ROY. He won't put up "stats" or get enough minutes. Even if he is effective and really helps the Spurs, it won't translate into awards.

coyotes_geek
09-29-2009, 03:50 PM
I think Blair is a legitimate ROY, I don't know about being a consistent starter (at least this early). We're due another one about now.

Blair's a stud, but he won't get nearly they minutes he'd need to put up the numbers that would get him ROY.

He'll have to settle for being the only rookie who's contributing to a championship contender.

Ditty
09-29-2009, 03:50 PM
blair will be a starter in about 2 years when we possibly tade mcdyess at the edn of his contract to land someone else that is on the trade market like this year with thomas,oberto,and bowen all starting contracts

but at the same time u hope mihinmi develops into solid center and tiago comes over and ends up being a hell of a player and we have a solid back court

TIMMYD!
09-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Blair won't start, but I do agree that he will get many minutes and will come off the bench with Manu.

MarCowMar
09-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Blair's shot at starting probably went to zero when McDyess signed, but I think Pop would be wrong not to give him a chance. His jump shot may not be developed, but he has such a nose for offensive rebounds and such good hands that I don't see how anyone can cheat off him on defense. And having Blair around to mop up all of Tony and Manu and Jefferson's misses? Wow. Use him like Rodman.

How about a vbookie on how many games Blair starts? I might be willing to risk some on 20+ games.

In any case Timmy will have some quality company on the front line this year.

Bukefal
09-29-2009, 04:39 PM
I hope he does, but I dont think it will happen...

Bruno
09-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Only 2 rookies have been regular starters under Pop: Duncan and Parker.

Blair starting is quite a reach.

coyotes_geek
09-29-2009, 04:44 PM
And having Blair around to mop up all of Tony and Manu and Jefferson's misses?

Actually this is a really good case for why you might want Blair to be subbing in for Duncan instead of subbing in for Dyess so that he can play with Duncan. Give Blair the freedom on the offensive end of the court to just chase rebounds without him having to worry about getting in Duncan's way.

mookie2001
09-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Only 2 rookies have been regular starters under Pop: Duncan and Parker

wow how far back in the historical archives did you have to go back to find that one out?

Spursfan 87
09-29-2009, 04:56 PM
no.

1. McDyees is better than him
2. Pop does not likes rookies that much

bigdog
09-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Blair will not start. This is a retarded thread.
McDyess is a great compliment to Tim, where they can work a high-low game like Duncan and Robinson used to do. Blair is an energy guy for now. AD is the better player right now, and is more experienced. McDyess will start.

EricB
09-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Think of Blair's role as the Malik Rose in 2003.

Energy big, defends all size of bigs, rebounds, bangs, scores garbage and secondary and whatever points.

McDyess is steady, does everything good not great.

McDyess is the perfect starter, Blair is the perfect 7th man.

Ginobili, Blair, Hill off the bench.

Damn, whens that first preseason game again!?

EricB
09-29-2009, 06:02 PM
no.

1. McDyees is better than him
2. Pop does not likes rookies that much

Yes lets keep perpetuating that myth.

exstatic
09-29-2009, 06:57 PM

True PFs can shoot right over the top of Artest. The bulk won't help him in that department.

HarlemHeat37
09-29-2009, 07:11 PM
-Bynum isn't 285..he was listed as that coming into last season..he slimmed down during the season, and he slimmed down during this off-season as well..

-Bynum can take all the shots he wants away from Kobe and Gasol..

EricB
09-29-2009, 07:27 PM
-Bynum isn't 285..he was listed as that coming into last season..he slimmed down during the season, and he slimmed down during this off-season as well..

-Bynum can take all the shots he wants away from Kobe and Gasol..

This.

Russ
09-29-2009, 08:52 PM
No rebounds, no rings.

-- Pat Riley

No Blair, no Bling.

-- Me

Dalamar_the_Dark
09-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Ratliff will start.

He will block a few shots to start the game, which will dictate the defensive tempo for the Spurs.

I agree. Ratliff should start with Duncan, Parker, Jefferson and Mason.

Manu first off the bench to replace Mason. With McDyess following to replace Ratliff.

Blair will likely be given mop up minutes as he tries to grapple with the Spurs defensive rotations. Dont think he is very good at pick and roll defense which will be exploited.

All this leaves Bonner in the dog house unless he is given a chance to start and then screws himself over.

raspsa
09-29-2009, 10:43 PM
It became apparent in summer league that Blair's pick&roll defense was a weakness in his game.. but isn't that something that cane be corrected with proper coaching. Unless there's something physically wrong with him, then he should be able to correct this. He seems agile enough for a man his size and those long arms will come in handy.

coyotes_geek
09-29-2009, 10:56 PM
I agree. Ratliff should start with Duncan, Parker, Jefferson and Mason.

Manu first off the bench to replace Mason. With McDyess following to replace Ratliff.

Blair will likely be given mop up minutes as he tries to grapple with the Spurs defensive rotations. Dont think he is very good at pick and roll defense which will be exploited.

All this leaves Bonner in the dog house unless he is given a chance to start and then screws himself over.

I sure as hell hope Ratliff isn't starting, because when I look at the last 5 years of his career I see a guy who won't be around in April if he's starting in November. Ratliff's role this year is most likely to be a guy who gets DNP-CD's on nights where the Spurs are playing teams like the Kings, but he'll play against teams like the lakers.

DaBears
09-30-2009, 08:53 AM
I dont see it happening either.... McD will be starting next season, with additonal help from Matt Bonner, Theo Ratlif and others spurs. They still might be a bit under sized up front but they should be just fine..

all_heart
09-30-2009, 04:08 PM
I agree with most here, Blair won't start. As far as Dice and Timmy canceling each other out, not a chance. First of all Dice is not a beast on either side of the ball, decent yes. Drob and TD started w/out canceling each other out. If you look at our bigs, TD, Dice, Blair, Ratliff, Ian, you can see their main job will be to play D. Their offense will come from cleaning up the boards and perhaps guard penetration. Our offense will come from our big 3 plus RJ. Fin, Mason, Hill and the rest of the team should fill in the gaps nicely and have nice potential to shake things up a bit for the opposing teams. I think our team is going to have great chemistry this year, at least that's the feeling I'm getting.

iManu
09-30-2009, 05:12 PM
It's the Beast's knees. :domokun

If Blair didn't have a knee problem, he could have been a shoe-in to start, just like he did for the #1 team in college for most of the year. I'm not saying that he is better than McDyess, right now. But, Manu will be strongest with either Dyess or Tim out there with him. It would be a shame to have such an incredible team player in Manu not able to dish the ball to capable off-the-ball movers.

I would be all for Blair starting. But, we need to save him. I would still end most games with Tony, Manu, RJ, TD, and McDyess, regardless of DeJuan's MAD rebounding skills.

Imagine whenever Tony, Manu, and Rj are combined with offensive rebounding.

ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE A FAKER FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pimpslap

Morg1411
09-30-2009, 05:23 PM

:rollin

spursfan1000
09-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Blair is 6'6? Wow

Anyways, there is no way POP will start a rookie.

mountainballer
09-30-2009, 05:52 PM
it's quite simple. if Blair gets the chance to become a ROY canditate, this team will not even make the PO.
if he becomes a starter and plays some 30 minutes, the team will be not half as good as we wish.
the case we should all hope for is that Blair becomes a regular rotation player, plays about 20 MPG, delivers 6 and 6 on good efficiency. then we will be good. if he plays more, it means that others don't play as well as the team needs them to play. then we won't be as good.

barbacoataco
09-30-2009, 09:28 PM
I doubt that Blair will be the ROY or a starter. I would look at Batum's season with Portland for a preview of Blair. Flashes of brilliance, great intensity, a few good offensive games, not a lot of minutes in crunch time. Blair is only 20, so he will probably need 1-2 yrs in the NBA to put it all together. But if he proves me wrong and goes 20 ppg 12 rbg all season with a game winning shot in the championship series, then that would be OK.

mookie2001
09-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Blair is 6'6? Wow

welcome to draft night

venitian navigator
10-03-2009, 06:36 AM
I like the idea of Blair starting but playing no more than 20 minutes a night...and not finishing games (that's for the Duncan-MacD Duo).
That's because, for his skills, I see him paired at best with Timmy...first of all 'cause for a good amount of minutes he can Help him a lot in the reboundin (expcially offensive rebounding) department, giving to Tim the chance to play a little more outside (expecially in regular season), second 'cause if it's true that Blair weak point is defense (particularly on pick and rolls) Tim is the only one really capable, on a regulare basis, to help then defense and, third, because of all the other players we have in his role (Haislip, Bonner, mahinmi) he's, in perspective at least, definitely the most skilled at a high level and the only way to improve the comprehensions of our game for him will be playing it from the beginning.
Finaly, because the way I see it, is we do need an experienced front line leader all the time on the court and two at the end.
So I feel that the best way would be to have Mac D like the logical substitute of Tim for all the match apart for thye last 8-9 minutes of the game, when they finally can play together.

raspsa
10-03-2009, 07:56 AM
I think Blair will have a lot to say about if he starts or how many minutes he plays. If he exceeds expectations and show a ROY like performance, he can make it very difficult for Pop not to give him more playing time. I don't have any doubt that he'll get a lot of exposure in his rookie season.. I'm really hoping he makes a big impact for the SPurs.

venitian navigator
10-03-2009, 09:57 AM
I think that the main reason we took a lot of quality bigs other than Duncan, any of them with the chance, at least, to prove themselves for gaining minutes (we now have six : Mac D, Blair, Mahinmi, Bonner, Haislip, Ratliff) will be resting Tim for a very good amount of minutes during regular season.
The goal could be to let Tim play less than 30 minutes a game (more or less the some amount of Gino).
Some argument for the plaiyng time of Mac D.
Playing people over 32 and plenty of past playing time in their legs for more than 30 minutes a night is risky.
But reaching the goal will be possible only if some of the new and young Bigs (Blair, Mahinmi, Haislip) will show something enough for gaining big minutes.
Maybe, starting one or more of them could help a lot.

Spursfan092120
10-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Hi...Have we met?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_G9qMaFrDlus/SRj3Ylh1Y7I/AAAAAAAAAkA/6KhjM3eY-fg/s400/Antonio-McDyess.jpg

Indazone
10-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Blair will get the George Hill Treatment

venitian navigator
10-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Blair will get the George Hill Treatment

I don't agree with this...
Blair was projected like a lottery pick just the day before the draft night in all mock drafts...and Thabeet, that's been dominated by him in NCAA games, has beebn chosen n° 2.
He's fallen to us anly because of his scaring and late publicized potential helth problems...that, if he's lucky, could never became a real problem for his whole carreer.
Hill was the typical - a la Mahinmi and to a less extension Ginobili and Parker - steal of the spurs for a skilled player never projected to be in the lottery or even near that draft position...

Usually is talent makes the decision...
So imho the point is only if Pop sees that Blair fit in the stystem fastly enough...to gain the "false" starter ('cause in the end of games Tim/Tmac will be the players) role.

lurker23
10-03-2009, 11:32 AM
I think there may be a few occasions where Blair starts, but I still think for the most part it will be McDyess. However, we may see Blair start on second nights of back-to-backs where Duncan and/or McDyess sit for the night. The game that fits this criteria that I most want to see him start is January 16th at Memphis (also March 6 at Memphis). "Blair vs. Thabeet: This time, it's professional."

TIMMYD!
10-03-2009, 03:14 PM
I think there may be a few occasions where Blair starts, but I still think for the most part it will be McDyess. However, we may see Blair start on second nights of back-to-backs where Duncan and/or McDyess sit for the night. The game that fits this criteria that I most want to see him start is January 16th at Memphis (also March 6 at Memphis). "Blair vs. Thabeet: This time, it's professional."

Ha! I'd go that game.

Kool Bob Love
10-03-2009, 03:16 PM
4 pages of something that's never going to happen THIS year...
:lol:rollin:rollin

xmas1997
10-03-2009, 03:27 PM
I also doubt Blair will win ROY but I do think he'll earn significant playing time. Offensive rebounding specialists are not easy to find and he'll make a name for himself before all is said and done.
And too many vets in front of him for him to be a starter this early. Maybe next year if some of those vets decline.
There are a few rookies out there that will be in a better position to win ROY this year and barring some freak injuries, Blair will end up 3rd or 4th in ROY balloting IMHO.
But I do think he'll get some looks and Pop already promised to play him a lot so he has a chance although a small one.

Muser
10-03-2009, 03:30 PM
:lmao at people saying Blair will win ROY.

Spurm
10-04-2009, 01:03 AM
I'm not an "In the Know" or have close sources but I speculate that if DeJuan Blair catches on to the Spurs system fast enough he will be starting opposite of Duncan.

The beast of the east from Pitt has all the complimentary skills Tim Duncan can thrive off of. TD last year was a one man wrecking crew in the post game for the Spurs. But that took it's toll later in the season. With no immediate or dependable help...Tim Duncan was physically punished on the inside last year.

Enter Blair as the youth, savy and skills to compliment Duncan in the post and we get to see TD at his best regarding the past 2 years. And I'm not saying that I think McDyess doesn't have the ability more so than I think TD and McD on the court at the same time nulifies each other's game and the team might not get all that can be produced from both if on the floor at the same time.

McD coming off the bench with TD resting allows the Spurs to continue post presence domination in their game. Having both on the floor at the same time might be great for close games at the end when both have been able to have reasonable periods of rest during the game. But having DB on the court snagging offensive boards left and right while providing youthfull weak side D is going to be a blessing for TD.

That plus the fact that McD's experience will be a valuble asset on the court while fronting a 2nd unit. Him and Ginobili together will provide leadership and skills that most NBA teams would like to have even on their respective 1st team units.

Of course... a lot of rookies don't make first team in the nba unless they are truly a top 10 to 15 pick. But DeJuan Blair was projected by many to be just that. We'll see. If the beast of the east is unleashed and proves to be all he has been touted to be...Tim Duncan will reign even more supreme and our second unit with a proven and great player like McDyess will allow the Spurs to maintain and even build on leads the first unit may establish.

No he will not be STARTER...

END OF DISCUSSION

Allanon
10-04-2009, 01:13 AM
I don't think Blair will start this year, especially with guys like Duncan, Dice, Ratliff already there.

In addition, he's going to be fighting with GHill for PT.

1) If Blair gets minutes, George Hill's minutes will go down
2) If George Hill gets the minutes, Blair's minutes will suffer accordingly.

DPG21920
10-04-2009, 01:20 AM
I don't think Blair will start this year, especially with guys like Duncan, Dice, Ratliff already there.

In addition, he's going to be fighting with GHill for PT.

1) If Blair gets minutes, George Hill's minutes will go down
2) If George Hill gets the minutes, Blair's minutes will suffer accordingly.

Ok, I know you were waiting for this:

How are Hill's minutes and Blair's minutes inversely related?

Allanon
10-04-2009, 01:29 AM
Ok, I know you were waiting for this:

How are Hill's minutes and Blair's minutes inversely related?

Shit, it's getting harder and harder to troll around here.

For some reason, Pop likes to play Hill as a SG. You can't very well have a 6'2 SG and a 6'6 PF on the floor at the same time.

Blackjack
10-04-2009, 01:31 AM
Well, I guess Fin is listed at 6-7''...

EricB
10-04-2009, 01:37 AM
Shit, it's getting harder and harder to around troll here.

For some reason, Pop likes to play Hill as a SG. You can't very well have a 6'2 SG and a 6'6 PF on the floor at the same time.

That for some reason is because thats his natural position.

Why couldn't a 6'6 great rebounding power forward play with him again?

Allanon
10-04-2009, 01:49 AM
That for some reason is because thats his natural position.

Why couldn't a 6'6 great rebounding power forward play with him again?

Too much size given up. When you consider 6'9 is a typical West PF and 6'6 is a typical West SG, the Spurs would be at a defensive disadvantage playing 2 undersized players in key positions at the same time.

Some West PF/SG bench guys I could think of, numbers might not be exact:
Lamar Odom - 6'10, Vujacic 6'7
Carl Landry - 6'9, Barry 6'7
Juwan Howard - 6'9, Rudy 6'6
Birdman 6'10, JR Smith 6'6
Milsap 6'8, Korver 6'7

There's practically no team I know of that plays both an undersized PF and SG at the same time.

EricB
10-04-2009, 02:15 AM
Too much size given up. When you consider 6'9 is a typical West PF and 6'6 is a typical West SG, the Spurs would be at a defensive disadvantage playing 2 undersized players in key positions at the same time.

Some West PF/SG bench guys I could think of, numbers might not be exact:
Lamar Odom - 6'10, Vujacic 6'7
Carl Landry - 6'9, Barry 6'7
Juwan Howard - 6'9, Rudy 6'6
Birdman 6'10, JR Smith 6'6
Milsap 6'8, Korver 6'7

There's practically no team I know of that plays both an undersized PF and SG at the same time.

Amazing how teams have won with undersized power forwards before.

Blair's wingspan also makes up for any supposed deficiencies with his "height" as well.

mystargtr34
10-04-2009, 02:22 AM
Blair has an 8'10.5" standing reach. That essentially makes him bigger than alot of PF's who are your average PF height. Guys like Joakim Noah and Blake Griffin are shorter than Blair in terms of real height. Head to toe height is meaningless in basketball.

mystargtr34
10-04-2009, 02:23 AM
A guy like Sasha is 6'7", yet he has T-Rex arms, and i would guess his SR wouldnt be any more than 8'4" or 8'5", which is typical for a 6'3" or 6'4" player.

Carl Landry is 2 inches taller, yet Blair has him covered by 4 inches in terms of real height.

Allanon
10-04-2009, 02:24 AM
Amazing how teams have won with undersized power forwards before.

Blair's wingspan also makes up for any supposed deficiencies with his "height" as well.

I can understand 1 under-sized player at a time, that's normal. But I have not seen any sucessful teams running both an under-sized PF and SG.

Both Blair and Hill have impressive wingspans but when posted up, they can't see beyond their defender and that leads to backcuts and alleyoops. Two undersized guards are OK as they are usually on opposite sides of the court. But a PF usually works with his SG in tandem for an inside out game.

With an undersized post and perimeter player, an opposing PF can block off Blair's view in the post and the perimeter SG can see over GHill's head with no issues. That usually leads to bad things.

I can't think of any good team that uses both an under-sized PF and SG at the same time, can you guys think of any?

Allanon
10-04-2009, 02:27 AM
A guy like Sasha is 6'7", yet he has T-Rex arms, and i would guess his SR wouldnt be any more than 8'4" or 8'5", which is typical for a 6'3" or 6'4" player.

I understand that wingspan is great and all but line of sight is also important. Keep your eye on the ball or something like that....hard to do when you're looking into a guys back.

mystargtr34
10-04-2009, 02:32 AM
I understand that wingspan is great and all but line of sight is also important. Keep your eye on the ball or something like that....hard to do when you're looking into a guys back.

Standing reach is different to wingspan. A 7 foot wingspan is no good for a 6'9" guy for contesting shots if he only has a 8'7" standing reach.

KidCongo
10-04-2009, 02:33 AM
The Cavs would use West at SG with Wally playing PF in small ball line-ups at some points last year.

mystargtr34
10-04-2009, 02:34 AM

Your right, being able to see can have an effect on a defenders ability to read cuts, but it isnt anywhere near as important as having length of arm to rebound, contest shots, or shoot over defenders.

Allanon
10-04-2009, 02:38 AM
Standing reach is different to wingspan. A 7 foot wingspan is no good for a 6'9" guy for contesting shots if he only has a 8'7" standing reach.

That's fine too; I don't disagree.

My point is 6'6 with a 10 foot standing reach still only has a 6'6 line of sight. If he's defending a 6'10 guy in the post, he's going to be looking at the dude's numbers instead of seeing play calls, cuts, eye contact and ball movement.

And when you compound that disadvantage by having a 6'2 guard that all the other shooting guards can see over the top of, there's going to be alot of dunks, alley oops, backdoor cuts and give 'n go's.

I think it's extremely difficult to play both at the same time and my guess is it will be very rare seeing BOTH Blair and Hill on the court at the same time; outside of garbaage time.

Allanon
10-04-2009, 03:05 AM
The Cavs would use West at SG with Wally playing PF in small ball line-ups at some points last year.

As you say, they only used it at some points...if I'm reading you correctly, that wasn't a regular rotation..maybe 2% of the regular team rotation? It was rare wasn't it?

mogrovejo
10-04-2009, 03:07 AM

We'll see.

McDyess offensive game is basically based on high-post and mid-range jump-shots popping out of ballscreens or curling to catch and shoot. Not even 10% of his shots come off operating in the blocks.

I don't think Blair will start, but I'm 100% sure he won't be finishing games (except blowouts).

KidCongo
10-04-2009, 03:21 AM
As you say, they only used it at some points...if I'm reading you correctly, that wasn't a regular rotation..maybe 2% of the regular team rotation? It was rare wasn't it?

The line-up of Gibson-West-James-Wally-Varejao was 4th in total minutes and the Gibson-Williams-James-Wally-Varejao was 8th in total minutes.

That line-up however was used to create space for James inside by surrounding him with 3 shooters.

The Spurs could use Blair and Hill in a line-up together for sure.

Allanon
10-04-2009, 03:37 AM
The line-up of Gibson-West-James-Wally-Varejao was 4th in total minutes and the Gibson-Williams-James-Wally-Varejao was 8th in total minutes.

That line-up however was used to create space for James inside by surrounding him with 3 shooters.

The Spurs could use Blair and Hill in a line-up together for sure.

Gibson-West-James-Wally-Varejao
There's only 1 undersized player in that lineup and that's West.
Gibson 6'2
West 6'2
James 6'8
Wally 6'7
Verajao 6'11?

Gibson-Williams-James-Wally-Varejao
Again, there's only 1 under-sized player in this lineup, Mo Williams.
Gibson 6'2
Mo Williams 6'1
James 6'8
Wally 6'7
Verajao 6'11

LeBron is plenty big for a PF...6'8 and 270 pounds, that's almost Karl Malone size.

Did the Cavs run any lineups with 2 under-sized players?

VivaPopovich
10-04-2009, 03:57 AM
that will be a shocker

but i will compromise and concede to you that he may end up getting more PT than McDyess

KidCongo
10-04-2009, 04:03 AM
James played small forward and Wally was the guy on the inside. Blair can easily hold his own at PF especially with his frame and determination on the inside. Not every team trots out 6'11 PF's off the bench along with their 6'6 shooting guards.

Allanon
10-04-2009, 04:09 AM
James played small forward and Wally was the guy on the inside. Blair can easily hold his own at PF especially with his frame and determination on the inside. Not every team trots out 6'11 PF's off the bench along with their 6'6 shooting guards.

You said yourself the Cavs wanted to put 3 shooters around James so they would be on the outside and James playing the inside like a PF would. Cavs still had plenty of size.

Those two quotes are contradictory to one another...I know LeBron is good and all but even he can't be on the inside and outside at the same time :lol

The 2 lineups you mentioned still only had 1 under-sized player which is normal in the NBA.

Now if it was something like Mo, West, Pavlovic, Sczerbiak and Verajao, THAT would be a 2 undersized player lineup, but I don't believe that happened.

venitian navigator
10-07-2009, 11:59 AM
If Blair is gonna repeat in next games performances like the rocket's one, there will be a serious dilemma if starting him...
Everybody, also in the spurs team, keeps considering him someone helping from the bench a la Millsapp but is beginning to be clear that the only player that, by now, could give to the team a stronger contribuition at PF (consuidering Tim the real center) than Blair, is Mc Dyess...that, imho, should see his minutes limited to preserve his health...

SpurNation
11-15-2009, 12:25 AM
He had his chance tonight.

Spursmania
11-15-2009, 12:26 AM
He had his chance tonight.

And I think he might have blown it.:depressed

DAF86
11-15-2009, 12:55 AM
McDyess is the one that should be starting alongside Duncan, he has the perfect game (jumper and defense) to complement TD's game.

JustinJDW
11-15-2009, 01:20 AM
Wow, this thread was made in early September. Great call dude. :toast

spursfaninla
11-15-2009, 01:25 AM
I am pretty bummed that blair f-ed it up. Anyone notice why he was not rebounding? And what his problem was on defense? It looks like he scored, but we didnt' really need that.

SpurNation
12-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Good game for Blair against Knicks. Looking like he is getting better each month. Wondering what the rotation will be when Bonner is healthy enough to play. McDyess looks to be at his best when not starting.

MaNu4Tres
12-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Good game for Blair against Knicks. Looking like he is getting better each month. Wondering what the rotation will be when Bonner is healthy enough to play. McDyess looks to be at his best when not starting.

Could have been posted in many other threads. But I guess its understood you want to be applauded for your OP.

So here it is...:clap

greyforest
12-28-2009, 12:34 PM
this guy is a non-superstar rookie

noobs

i still think this is just temporary from bonner, pop haets rookies :(

MaNu4Tres
12-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Then why isn't Dice starting?

because then the 2nd unit wouldn't have a big man that can hit the pick and pop jumper or space the floor offensively.

doobs
12-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Blair starting is not ideal. He and Duncan occupy the same space. This won't last.

greyforest
12-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Then why isn't Dice starting?

saving for playoffs

greyforest
12-28-2009, 01:17 PM
hate was too strong a word, but he doesnt trust them in critical situations.

starting with pop doesn't mean much as with other teams, since many times pop's starters play less minutes than bench players. that being said, with the way dejuan has improved even pop had to take note. i just hope his minutes and confidence aren't reined in when bonner is back.

Bender
12-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Blair had the team-high in minutes played, against the knicks. And only 3 PF too!

Dice
12-28-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm a guy that wants to see McDyess play starter minutes and even I have to say Blair has been EARNING his starts. He's showing a lot of potential and he's playing solid. Great pick up for the team.

Sisk
03-14-2010, 05:21 PM
.....bump

TJastal
03-14-2010, 05:30 PM
I think Pop should just leave things alone for now in regard to Blair and McDyess. He's switched their roles enough times already and the spurs are on a roll with the current setup, which is Dice starting and Blair off the bench.

Both Blair and McDyess have had a helluva time finishing around the basket lately (Blair when there is a defender near him and Dice just can't make a chip shot ffs) and this an area of concern. Blair's problem is because he's so short and Dice because it looks like he's going through the motions not giving 100%.

Agloco
03-15-2010, 10:01 AM
I think Pop should just leave things alone for now in regard to Blair and McDyess. He's switched their roles enough times already and the spurs are on a roll with the current setup, which is Dice starting and Blair off the bench........

Good thing that the Spurs will likely face the Clippers, T-Wolves or Nets in the first round then......:rolleyes

Chubby_Love
03-15-2010, 10:15 AM
He should, but knowing Pop's! That might not happen because he believes that Jefferson should be a starter, and not the guy that cleans the sweat off the court! JEFFERSON SUCKS! :bang

G-Dawgg
03-15-2010, 06:48 PM
He's stilll not polished enough.. he's still got alot of little skills to polish up on, but honestly I see alot of potential from this guy just based on his combination of size and quickness. Hard for me to say, but I hope he becomes really good.