PDA

View Full Version : Take this LAL fans, Spurs have top clutch player by scouts

Rummpd
09-29-2009, 12:43 PM
http://www.interbasket.net/news/2009/02/20/nba-scouting-report-manu-ginobili-has-no-weaknesses/

Five Minutes Left… NBA’s Best Clutch Players

When someone talks about clutch play, what do you think of? The last minute, the final two minutes? Ok now which current NBA players do you think of? I am sure everyone runs to Kobe Bryant and LeBron James… or maybe you think of Dwyane Wade or Mr. Big Shot Chauncey Billups?

Well, Forbes defines clutch ability as the final five minutes of the game, and considers shooting percentage in those final minutes to determine who are the best clutch players in the NBA as well as other factors. The list includes the players that shot better than 40% and averaged more than 5 points in the last five minutes and overtime (with neither team ahead by more than five points).*

The article went on to list the top clutch players at each position for the 2007-08 season, as well as basing their rankings on how much that player earned in salary, but Interbasket thought that was really lame, so we just took their research and created a top-ten list based on their shooting percentages. Either way, the list contained some definite surprises…

What we found was that international players made up half of list, including the two top-prime time players in the NBA according to Forbe’s definition:

1. Manu Ginobili 57.4%
2. Steve Nash 50.8%
3. Amare Stoudemire 50.0%
4. Yao Ming 48.8%
5. Andre Iguodala 48.5%
6. LeBron James 47.5%
7. Al Jefferson 47.5%
8. Kobe Bryant 44.8%
9. Dirk Nowitzki 42.2%
10. Hedo Turkoglu 40.2%

Ginobili was the NBA’s most accurate shooter in the final five minutes of undecided games last year. Funny we don’t see or hear much about buzzer-beaters from the Argentinian. I think that says a lot about how he and the Spurs can close out games. Manu was followed by Canadian Steve Nash. Amare Stoudemire was third (most likely buoyed by Steve Nash’s ability to penetrate), Yao Ming was fourth, and surprisingly, Andre Iguodala was in fifth.

LeBron James was sixth on the list and Kobe Bryant was eighth. Dirk Nowitzki was #9 and Hedo Turkoglu of Turkey rounded out the list. I would have loved to see the rest of the list, I am especially curious to see where players like Gilbert Arenas, Baron Davis, Chauncey Billups were on the list, as well as their shooting percentages.

* To determine the best clutch players for the buck, we compared player statistics to pay from last season. Our survey includes only players who averaged five or more points in the fourth quarter and hit at least 40% of their shots when it mattered most (during the last five minutes and in overtime, with neither team ahead by more than five points). These “clutch time” stats were compiled by 82games.com, an online leader in analyzing the NBA.

The San Antonio Spurs’ Manu Ginóbili is a statistical freak: he has no imbalance whatsoever in his game — there is no one way to play him that is better than another. He is equally efficient both off the dribble and off the pass, going left and right and from any spot on the floor.

Perhaps this is a reason why Ginobili tops the list as the NBA’s best clutch player with less than five minutes in the game beating out the likes of Bryant and Iverson (as well as LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Dirk Nowitzki).

http://www.interbasket.net/news/2009/02/20/nba-scouting-report-manu-ginobili-has-no-weaknesses/

All the LAL and other fans who think the Spurs are not going to be right there at the end manning up with any team in the league any time/any where with this guy healthy + Duncan/Parker/Jefferson and Dice or Blair on the floor are not facing reality.

elbamba
09-29-2009, 12:54 PM
If only Manu was playing at the end of the season and playoffs.

DJB
09-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Amare Stoudemire being at #3 immediately cancels out the credibility of this list, even with that percentage. There is no way I would label Amare as a go-to-guy in a clutch situation.

I-Ball
09-29-2009, 01:01 PM

The article went on to list the top clutch players at each position for the 2007-08 season, as well as basing their rankings on how much that player earned in salary, but Interbasket thought that was really lame, so we just took their research and created a top-ten list based on their shooting percentages. Either way, the list contained some definite surprises…

lefty
09-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Great

But Lakers are still the defending champs

rjv
09-29-2009, 01:14 PM
i love manu and he is clutch but that is one retarded list

picc84
09-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Strangely I feel ok.

Rummpd
09-29-2009, 01:25 PM
I would put Kobe 1 and Wade 2 and Manu 3 personally but the gap is not as great as many believe between a healthy Manu and Kobe and glad Spurs have the unselfish Manu on their side.

in2deep
09-29-2009, 01:26 PM
How has that clutch-ness worked out for the last two seasons.

injured

PDXSpursFan
09-29-2009, 01:30 PM
amare stoudemire being at #3 immediately cancels out the credibility of this list, even with that percentage. There is no way i would label amare as a go-to-guy in a clutch situation.

+1

in2deep
09-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Amare Stoudemire being at #3 immediately cancels out the credibility of this list, even with that percentage. There is no way I would label Amare as a go-to-guy in a clutch situation.

you must not watch the suns often. neither do I but I have seen end of games where Nash spoonfeeds Amare a LOT.

But I agree, it's not that Amare is clutch, just that he stands in the right place and lets Nash do the work.

rjv
09-29-2009, 01:33 PM
i would have to think that amare's is based on his ability to get to the rim. but they should have added FT % as part of the equation (this is what also elevates manu and drops lebron). manu is far better at clutch FT's than james is.

interbasket
09-29-2009, 01:56 PM

"Amare Stoudemire was third (most likely buoyed by Steve Nash’s ability to penetrate)"

Spursmania
09-29-2009, 02:56 PM

You're right Manu has to be healthy to be clutch or it's all moot.

Shifty
09-29-2009, 03:21 PM
As much as I agree that Manu is very underrated in this aspect and many other stars are overrated, FG% is not a good indicator if you think about the difficulty of the shots taken. For instance, you can't compare Manu's FG% and Kobe's (although one of the weaknesses in Kobe is that he takes badly timed shots at the clutch) because Kobe takes them with when everyone knows he will while Manu does not.

HarlemHeat37
09-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Clutch lists are overrated..

The Truth #6
09-29-2009, 03:56 PM
I don't think the lists are wrong or overrated - they're just facts that need to be interpreted. The author states that Amare's inclusion is obviously because of his play next to Nash. And one could turn that around to say that Nash also probably benefits from playing next to Amare.

I don't see how one can discount Manu's obvious accomplishments. He raises almost all his production in the "clutch", which the author wisely defined as the last 5 minutes of a close game. People think only of last second shots as "clutch", which is a limited definition. Also, Coach Pop often runs creative plays that employ the whole team. That's much different than just putting the ball in the hands of Kobe, Arenas, or Billups and saying "go create something".

baseline bum
09-29-2009, 03:57 PM
I can't call Manu the top clutch player when all those shots were taken before the all-star break, when the games didn't mean that much.

timvp
09-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Odd timing of article. Manu is undoubtedly a clutch player but he shot just 39.6% in the clutch last season. His clutch shooting in recent playoffs has also been lacking.

The Spurs are good on paper but they still have to put this thing together. Stats that are more than a year and a half old aren't going to get it done and aren't going to keep Laker fans up at night.

Xylus
09-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Amare sans Nash is not a Top-5 Clutch player, but with Nash he most definitely is. The two guys have such great chemistry that it's really no surprise to me that they're #2 and #3 on this list.

Nash would be #2 with or without Amare at his side. In '06, he was a beast in late-game situations. To this day, he still causes havoc for opposing teams when the clock winds down.

ezau
09-29-2009, 09:22 PM

The list just shows you the numbers and who are most likely going to be successful when he has the ball at the end of the game. Injuries don't have anything to do with this list because everybody knows that an injured player is useless.

Spursfan092120
09-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Kobe being at #8 completely discredits this list. Ridiculous...he's #1

ducks
09-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Odd timing of article. Manu is undoubtedly a clutch player but he shot just 39.6% in the clutch last season. His clutch shooting in recent playoffs has also been lacking.

The Spurs are good on paper but they still have to put this thing together. Stats that are more than a year and a half old aren't going to get it done and aren't going to keep Laker fans up at night.

yes but he is worth atleast 10.5 million a year
plus without him spurs are worthless
just ask alot of people here

Dave McNulla
09-30-2009, 12:33 AM
forbes killed it for me. they picked kevin mchale as the best GM of all major sports. frankenstein sucks and so does forbes