PDA

View Full Version : Lowered Expectations good for Suns (no, you didn't read that wrong)

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Lowered expectations good for Suns

by Dan Bickley - Sept. 28, 2009 07:16 PM
The Arizona Republic

Steve Nash looks different. His hair is getting rock-star long, racing toward his shoulders. And what's that strange expression on his face?

Oh, yeah. It's a big smile. It's been a while.

"Joyous," said Nash, when asked how he's feeling.

For the first time in years the Suns are just another team. They are unchained from championship expectations, the kind that made angry fans shower the Cardinals with boos Sunday in Glendale. The climate change can only help, and it all starts with their mood ring of a point guard.

Some have wondered whether Nash really wants to be here or whether signing an extension with the diminished Suns was simply his best economic option. After all, the team was not going to trade him to Toronto or New York, and playing out the season as a lame duck might've been very uncomfortable for the popular point guard.

But Nash's demeanor on Monday made the answer clear. He seems rejuvenated. He is conceding nothing. He knows the value of chemistry and cohesion. He loves a team that moves its feet and moves the basketball. Where others see weakness, he sees hope.

"Although the West is really improved, I don't see any reason why this team is over or rebuilding or (believe) that we don't have a shot," Nash said. "We're in a good place to exceed expectations."

Granted, the 2009-10 Suns face many hurdles. The Lakers and Spurs are on another level. Physical teams will pose a challenge, as will defense and rebounding. Channing Frye and Robin Lopez will alternate at center, a combination unlikely to strike fear in the heart of Tim Duncan. And then there's the uncertain status of Amaré Stoudemire, an All-Star who might be traded before the deadline.

On paper, they will struggle to make the playoffs. Yet, here's the difference: For the first time in two years the Suns have rededicated themselves in full to the run-and-gun system implemented by Mike D'Antoni. There will be no questioning the head coach, Alvin Gentry, who vowed the team will play acceptable defense in the coming months. Meanwhile, the lane will be unclogged by the departure of Shaquille O'Neal, who negatively affected the team's state of mind and style of play in 2008-09.

Nash would not call out O'Neal on Monday, a former teammate who stole his idea for a television show. But he said he was very excited about his new center combination, applauding how Lopez and Frye are "willing to move their feet and hustle." Hmmmm.

More to the point, a sense of order has returned to the locker room. Nash and Grant Hill are the unquestioned leaders. They set the tone, and everyone answers to them. You couldn't have a more responsible tandem.

Already, Nash has gone out of his way to praise Stoudemire's resilience and what he's been through in his NBA career. He told the media that Stoudemire's health file is "two-three times bigger than that of a 35-year old," complimenting the forward's "fighting spirit" and his "ability to heal."

That's what Nash does. He's an helper, a facilitator. He makes his teammates happy on the court and off. But he can't do it when he's miserable, like he was most of last season.

"We've really communicated over the summer about who we are and where we're going," General Manager Steve Kerr said. "I thought last year we were cluttered. We didn't have a clear pecking order and hierarchy. I think it's very clear now, and I'm looking forward to a much cleaner year. We're going to have some fun."

A return to prominence would be most welcome. After all, the 2001 Diamondbacks won a championship and the 2008 Cardinals shocked the world. But no team turned magical talent and top-shelf entertainment value into absolutely nothing like the run-and-gun Suns, a team that cornered the market on postseason heartbreak.

At long last, all of that angst and emotional wreckage has been cleaned away. The expectations are gone, along with many of the season-ticket (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/09/28/20090928bickleysuns0929.html#) holders. In its place is a happy point guard who believes in the power of "we" and a team that is returning to its roots. That alone should give them a puncher's chance.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

lefty
09-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Nash is happy because O'Neal is gone.

mavs>spurs2
09-29-2009, 01:25 PM
that article is douchey :lol

DoK i sincerely feel bad for u man, you're a decent fan you don't deserve this :depressed

rjv
09-29-2009, 01:28 PM
they may sneak into a 7 or 8 seed. if amare misses any substantial time though they are done as they can not afford that many losses due to injuries.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Nash is happy because O'Neal is gone.

Just like he was happy when he went to Kerr and told Kerr to trade Marion for Shaq in the first place?

Ditty
09-29-2009, 01:40 PM
that article is douchey :lol

DoK i sincerely feel bad for u man, you're a decent fan you don't deserve this :depressed

feel bad cuz ur a mavs fan with another washed up player from phoenix in marion

mavs>spurs2
09-29-2009, 01:41 PM
feel bad cuz ur a mavs fan with another washed up player from phoenix in marion

thanks for your suppport, i appreciate it

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-29-2009, 01:42 PM
thanks for your suppport, i appreciate it

:lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Maybe the best part of this article is calling Channing Frye a player who is willing to hustle.

mavs>spurs2
09-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Maybe the best part of this article is calling Channing Frye a player who is willing to hustle.

wasn't he known for being a lazy player in NY?? i think he picked up the habit from Eddy Curry

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-29-2009, 01:50 PM
wasn't he known for being a lazy player in NY??

Yup, he went from being the main piece of a potential KG trade his rookie year to a throw in when trading for Zach Randolph.

da_suns_fan
09-29-2009, 01:52 PM
And DOK continues to prove how horrible he is at reading comprehension.

btw - I agree with everything in this article. Shaq ruined team chemistry and style of play. Porter was an idiot. The Suns as a team are probably happier and less stressed out than in previous seasons when they were still coping with playoff controversies and a sense of under-achievement.

Dan Bickley obviously has an education. DOK, does not. In fact, he's a fucking clueless idiot.

btw - Bickley should have pointed out that the Jason Richardson trade was a total flop and Steve Kerr would be wise to continue to "un-do" his previous mistakes (a la ditching Shaquille Oneal).

da_suns_fan
09-29-2009, 01:55 PM

Once again, youre missing the point. Let me explain whats happening here to the fucking idiot. The direct quote (from Nash, NOT the writer as you incorrectly imply) says:

Nash would not call out O'Neal on Monday, a former teammate who stole his idea for a television show. But he said he was very excited about his new center combination, applauding how Lopez and Frye are "willing to move their feet and hustle." Hmmmm.

What it means (for fucking idiots like DOK): Nash is stating that both Frye and Lopez are willing to move their feet and hustle, something Shaq would NEVER do. I dont care how lazy Frye is, he light years more agile than that anchor, Shaquille Oneal.

Do you understand now?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-29-2009, 01:56 PM
And DOK continues to prove how horrible he is at reading comprehension.

btw - I agree with everything in this article. Shaq ruined team chemistry and style of play. Porter was an idiot. The Suns as a team are probably happier and less stressed out than in previous seasons when they were still coping with playoff controversies and a sense of under-achievement.

Dan Bickley obviously has an education. DOK, does not. In fact, he's a fucking clueless idiot.

btw - Bickley should have pointed out that the Jason Richardson trade was a total flop and Steve Kerr would be wise to continue to "un-do" his previous mistakes (a la ditching Shaquille Oneal).

Well, I'm glad you care more about Nash's stress level than the team's W-L record.

da_suns_fan
09-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Well, I'm glad you care more about Nash's stress level than the team's W-L record.

Right, because they were winning so much with Porter and Shaq.

Nash also says in the article that the Suns were happier when they had a clear vision as opposed to Porter who couldnt decide what type of team they were going to be.

But Im sure you have a problem with that statement as well.

You are, by far, the biggest idiot on this board.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-29-2009, 01:59 PM
What it means (for fucking idiots like DOK): Nash is stating that both Frye and Lopez are willing to move their feet and hustle, something Shaq would NEVER do. I dont care how lazy Frye is, he light years more agile than that anchor, Shaquille Oneal.

Do you understand now?

No, I don't. I don't understand how anyone can possibly argue replacing Shaq with Channing Frye makes the Suns better defensively.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-29-2009, 02:00 PM
But Im sure you have a problem with that statement as well.

Yes, I do. I don't give a flying fuck about how happy Nash is. The team isn't paying him an 8 figure salary to be happy.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-29-2009, 02:01 PM
You are, by far, the biggest idiot on this board.

Says the guy who thinks Channing Frye > Shaquille O'Neal

da_suns_fan
09-29-2009, 02:03 PM
No, I don't. I don't understand how anyone can possibly argue replacing Shaq with Channing Frye makes the Suns better defensively.

Thus, you must have not watched a single Suns game last year or you might have witnessed that Shaquille Oneal refuses to move laterally, refuses to come out on screen and rolls and pretty much refuses to do anything that requires him to feel physical pain.

Defense is physicaly exhausting. Thats why so few players do it well. This is why Shaquille Oneal was horrible.

Now, Channing Frye is a bum and this is pretty much his last shot, but I havent seen one clip of him this season and I can tell you that he is better at rotating than Shaquille Oneal. All he has to do is TRY and he's better than the anchor.

The same goes for Robin Lopez.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-29-2009, 02:03 PM

Steve Kerr took over a team that lost in the 2nd round with what even at the time was a very bleak future. I don't know why you're so anxious to get back to that point.

da_suns_fan
09-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Yes, I do. I don't give a flying fuck about how happy Nash is. The team isn't paying him an 8 figure salary to be happy.

:lol

I bet you dont. Youre bizzare hatred of Steve Nash bordelines obsessive. Here's an article stating that the team is happy with their teammates and style of play going into camp, feels no pressure and wants to surprise people and you laugh at it as if someone just claimed the world was flat.

Just shut the fuck up, already! Youre a fucking obnoxious kid who needs to be trash-canned. I would do it myself if you didnt spend youre time wasting away in Tucson.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Thus, you must have not watched a single Suns game last year or you might have witnessed that Shaquille Oneal refuses to move laterally, refuses to come out on screen and rolls and pretty much refuses to do anything that requires him to feel physical pain.

Defense is physicaly exhausting. Thats why so few players do it well. This is why Shaquille Oneal was horrible.

Now, Channing Frye is a bum and this is pretty much his last shot, but I havent seen one clip of him this season and I can tell you that he is better at rotating than Shaquille Oneal. All he has to do is TRY and he's better than the anchor.

The same goes for Robin Lopez.

For the minimal improvement they get defending the pick and roll with Frye and Lopez over Shaq, they'll lose now with the huge dive in defensive rebounding and post defense.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-29-2009, 02:09 PM
:lol

I bet you dont. Youre bizzare hatred of Steve Nash bordelines obsessive. Here's an article stating that the team is happy with their teammates and style of play going into camp, feels no pressure and wants to surprise people and you laugh at it as if someone just claimed the world was flat.

Just shut the fuck up, already! Youre a fucking obnoxious kid who needs to be trash-canned. I would do it myself if you didnt spend youre time wasting away in Tucson.

lol internet tough guy.

Doug Collins
09-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Robin Lopez and Channing Frye alternating at Center? No way any suns fan can be excited about that. What a complete abortion. The fact that Kerr is seemingly ok with that is ridiculous.

da_suns_fan
09-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Just like he was happy when he went to Kerr and told Kerr to trade Marion for Shaq in the first place?

Because Shawn Marion didnt publicly request a trade to sportingnews.com during the previous off-season, Miami's owner didnt place a direct call to Robert Sarver to float the idea, and Steve Kerr and Mike D'Antoni didnt want to make the deal either.

The Suns traded Marion because Nash asked them to. Im sure he asked them to trade Kurt Thomas and two first round draft picks for a second round pick as well. I bet he asked them to trade his best friend in Raja Bell (along with Boris Diaw) for Jason Richardson too.

DOK logic is simple. If anything bad ever happens, just blame Steve Nash!

da_suns_fan
09-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Robin Lopez and Channing Frye alternating at Center? No way any suns fan can be excited about that. What a complete abortion. The fact that Kerr is seemingly ok with that is ridiculous.

I agree. They should attempt to trade Richardson for a REAL big man but I dont think anyone is that dumb.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-29-2009, 02:21 PM

I don't consider the Shaq trade bad, getting Marion traded is something I commend Nash for.

sribb43
09-29-2009, 02:22 PM
There are no expectations....therefore it's easy to exceed nothing

da_suns_fan
09-29-2009, 02:23 PM
I don't consider the Shaq trade bad, getting Marion traded is something I commend Nash for.

Right, because it turned out so well! Shaq was such a disaster that the Suns agreed to pay 12+ million (which counts against the luxury tax) for NOBODY to just to unload him!!!

I mean, wouldnt you rather have just let Marion walk? At least the Suns would be paying nothing for nothing. Thats a lot better than 12+ for nothing, isnt it?

Then theres the million scenarios in which we might actually have a real person if they had traded Marion for someone other than Shaq. Im even better than "nothing".

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-29-2009, 02:26 PM
DSF, you seem to be forgetting the Raja Bell and Boris Diaw the Suns traded and the Raja Bell and Boris Diaw we saw on Charlotte are completely different players. Yeah, I'll bet Diaw was really motivated last season to show the Suns up. Give him an off season to find Charlotte's finest French restaraunts and Charlotte's best night clubs, and you'll remember why Kerr did that trade.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Right, because it turned out so well! Shaq was such a disaster that the Suns agreed to pay 12+ million (which counts against the luxury tax) for NOBODY to just to unload him!!!

I mean, wouldnt you rather have just let Marion walk? At least the Suns would be paying nothing for nothing. Thats a lot better than 12+ for nothing, isnt it?

Then theres the million scenarios in which we might actually have a real person if they had traded Marion for someone other than Shaq. Im even better than "nothing".

My opinion on the Shaq trade is irrelevant. You said I blame Nash for everything bad. Regardless of whether you like my opinion or not, the fact is I credit him for pushing for a trade that I still believe to this day was a good trade to make AT THE TIME.

da_suns_fan
09-29-2009, 02:32 PM
DSF, you seem to be forgetting the Raja Bell and Boris Diaw the Suns traded and the Raja Bell and Boris Diaw we saw on Charlotte are completely different players. Yeah, I'll bet Diaw was really motivated last season to show the Suns up. Give him an off season to find Charlotte's finest French restaraunts and Charlotte's best night clubs, and you'll remember why Kerr did that trade.

I would do a fist-pump through the ceiling if we could undo that stupid trade. Not only would our number of "average or better defenders" go from one (Hill) to three (Hill, Bell and Diaw), but we would strengthen our front court, move the obstacle that doesnt allow LB to start and improve team chemistry even more.

You know what Diaw's numbers in Charlotte along with his numbers in 2006 have in common? Both times he was a starter.

sonic21
09-29-2009, 02:39 PM
You know what Diaw's numbers in Charlotte along with his numbers in 2006 have in common? Both times he was a starter.

Diaw needs to have the ball in his hands to be effective. Wasn't happening the last 2 years in Phoenix (The fact that he's soft and lazy made it worse though).

He sucked most of the time this summer with the french NT (and he was starting).

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-29-2009, 02:39 PM
I would do a fist-pump through the ceiling if we could undo that stupid trade. Not only would our number of "average or better defenders" go from one (Hill) to three (Hill, Bell and Diaw), but we would strengthen our front court, move the obstacle that doesnt allow LB to start and improve team chemistry even more.

Of course I'd be happy as well if we could undo that trade, I just don't like how it's treated as a monumental, franchise altering mistake.

Xylus
09-29-2009, 07:50 PM
I would do it myself if you didnt spend youre time wasting away in Tucson.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... if that's Tucson smack, we have a problem, DSF.

As far as the whole Nash vs. Shaq thing goes, I'm conflicted. On the one hand, Shaq put far more effort into last year than Nash did, but he just wasn't a great fit with this team. I blame Kerr for this, not Shaq. We had a poorly assembled squad, suffered a major injury to our primary scorer (Amare) mid-season, and missed the playoffs as a result.

I don't think we're going anywhere this year, but I do think we have a better shot at the playoffs with Shaq off the roster. That's not a knock on Shaq. If anything, it's a knock on the entire team for failing to (and in some cases, refusing to) adapt to the Big Cactus.

Xylus
09-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Not sure if it was posted, but Hollinger predicted that the Suns will end with a record of 40-42. Unless the team is hampered by major injuries (loss of Stoudemire or Nash for an extended period of time), I don't see that happening.

pauls931
09-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Looking forwards to the new season, but the suns are one big star away from being a threat, maybe one and a half if you take nash's age into account. Basically this team is minus Marion and a good outside shooter vs a couple years back.

Even with shaq out, they still need outside shooters to spread the court for nash and amare to operate. Not expecting much, but hopefully they will be entertaining and dragic will get more PT. If lopez can play a game without fouling out, I'll consider that better than winning a title.

cobbler
09-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Looking forwards to the new season, but the suns are one big star away from being a threat, maybe one and a half if you take nash's age into account. Basically this team is minus Marion and a good outside shooter vs a couple years back.

Even with shaq out, they still need outside shooters to spread the court for nash and amare to operate. Not expecting much, but hopefully they will be entertaining and dragic will get more PT. If lopez can play a game without fouling out, I'll consider that better than winning a title.

Suns problems have nothing to do with shooting. One star away is laughable unless that star is MJ in his prime.... cause it's defense where the Suns suck.

Run and gun teams may be exciting to watch and decent during the regular season... but will never win a championship.

pauls931
09-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Run and gun teams may be exciting to watch and decent during the regular season... but will never win a championship.

Man I wish I had a time machine to tell Amare and Diaw to stay on the bench so I wouldn't have to read this stupid saying over and over... :p

cobbler
09-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Man I wish I had a time machine to tell Amare and Diaw to stay on the bench so I wouldn't have to read this stupid saying over and over... :p

Facts are facts.

Would have, should have, could have are not.

pauls931
09-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Facts are facts.

Would have, should have, could have are not.

True, but I won't go as far as to say never. If the suns got within a game or two of pulling it off someone else will eventually pull it off... after I'm deceased... :p

cobbler
09-29-2009, 09:49 PM
True, but I won't go as far as to say never. If the suns got within a game or two of pulling it off someone else will eventually pull it off... after I'm deceased... :p

True... it could happen. But the odds are against it. It is just the lack of D that hinders them. The showtime Lakers certainly were a running team. But they also had lockdown D capabilities and the secondary option of half court offense with Kareem.

kamikazi_player
09-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Reminds me of the government, if everythings going wrong, blame on Obama :lol

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-30-2009, 12:51 AM

If a run and gun team had the discipline of a well-coached, half-court basketball team, Diaw and Amare might have stayed on the bench. The team's reaction to the incident symbolizes the discipline a run and gun D'antoni team doesn't have. In the end, the team with more mental fortitude, calmness and discipline won.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-30-2009, 12:55 AM
I wouldn't have to read this stupid saying over and over... :p

You can't call it stupid when it's true.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-30-2009, 01:10 AM
On the one hand, Shaq put far more effort into last year than Nash did

Robert Sarver's foam finger put more effort into last season than Nash did.