PDA

View Full Version : Are the Lakers focused on repeating?

tlongII
09-29-2009, 02:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/trainingcamp09/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=LakersCamp-090929

As the Los Angeles Lakers reconvene after that oh-so-short NBA victors' summer, they face the same question we wonder about every champion: "Did Lamar sign a prenup?"

Okay, so maybe Lamar Odom's decision to marry a Kardashian sister he'd known for less than a month isn't your typical topic to chew on at the start of basketball season. But it's standard operating procedure in Lakerland.

This doesn't even qualify for a full-scale alert based on media days past. There was the time the team fretted over the whereabouts of Kobe Bryant, who didn't make the team's flight to training camp in Hawaii after a summer in which he'd been accused of sexual assault (he showed up the next day).

Or there was the time Bryant arrived fashionably late to media day after an offseason of trade demands and a videotaped verbal takedown of teammate Andrew Bynum.

And it's not as if the franchise hasn't dealt with famous spouses before. The 1999 lockout season featured Vanessa Williams and Carmen Electra lingering outside the locker room, waiting on Rick Fox and Dennis Rodman, respectively. At least they didn't come with their own reality TV show cameras, though.

Not that the Lakers would even notice a few extra minicams and producers. There was a little production group following around Lakers executive vice president Jeanie Buss at one recent media day as she attempted to launch her own reality show (when that didn't happen she just resorted to filming her own behind-the-scenes interviews with boyfriend/coach Phil Jackson and posting them on the Web).

What does all this have to do with repeating as champions? Absolutely nothing. And, really, that's the strongest argument against the Lakers winning again. Those training camps with the tumultuous beginnings did not result in victory parades at the end of the season. Every team has its issues, but teams function best when the problems are strictly basketball-related, not contracts or personal lives. The prevailing theme at last year's Lakers media day was: "The Celtics kicked your butts in the Finals last year, what are you going to do about it?" What the Lakers did was hold on to that humiliating feeling, returning to it whenever their attention started to waver, using it to drive their return to the NBA Finals and to finish the job this time.

The week before this year's camp was dominated by the Odom-Khloe Kardashian nuptials. Before that the summer was filled with the eccentricities of Ron Artest -- from his travels to China with an aspiring singer named Shin Shin, to expanding his knowledge of Southern California factoids (such as San Diego has a baseball team called the Padres). Artest showed his priorities from the start of his first Lakers news conference, when he asked where the TMZ cameras were. It was at his party that Odom and Khloe Kardashian met. And that summarizes the Lakers' offseason in one sentence.

Their two biggest moves were re-signing Odom and acquiring Artest, yet both have shown more interest in expanding their worlds beyond the basketball sphere and stepping into the pop culture universe.

From a strictly basketball perspective, the Lakers are equipped to make another championship run. The only loss from last season's team is Trevor Ariza, and they replaced him with a better scorer and stronger defender in Artest. The only players over 30 are Derek Fisher (35) and Bryant (31).

Aging actually suits Bryant well. For a change, none of the Lakers' tabloid stuff centers on him. It's been that way for about a year now. He's gone from courting controversy to avoiding it, finally coming to the realization that it's best to let the basketball be enough. Wonder if his teammates will learn that lesson in time to make this season a success.

picc84
09-29-2009, 03:04 PM
They would be if Brandon Roy was there to lead them.

JamStone
09-29-2009, 03:19 PM
If this is the best they can do, if this is the strongest argument against the Lakers repeating, then the rest of the league is in trouble and the Lakers have a pretty good chance at getting 'er done.

Ghazi
09-29-2009, 03:20 PM
They coasted many times in the regular season and EVEN parts of the playoffs last year and still won it all.

It's almost as if focus isn't "that" important for them, although I surmise the competition is tougher this year... yet the Lakers can get better too with the SF upgrade and emergence of Bynum.

DPG21920
09-29-2009, 03:22 PM
If this is the best they can do, if this is the strongest argument against the Lakers repeating, then the rest of the league is in trouble and the Lakers have a pretty good chance at getting 'er done.

Exactly what I was thinking.

2Cleva
09-29-2009, 03:40 PM
When you consider Phil and Kobe's history - having the team focused on a repeat is a given.

lefty
09-29-2009, 03:42 PM
I think the Lakers are really hungry to repeat.

Kobe will make sure nobody slacks off. If they stay healthy, I expect them to win 68-69 games.

Banzai
09-29-2009, 03:53 PM
I think the Lakers are really hungry to repeat.

Kobe will make sure nobody slacks off. If they stay healthy, I expect them to win 68-69 games.
I was thinking around the same as last season..maybe 66-67. Remember 2000 when they finished 67-15..following season they finished 56-26. Not sure if that was due to injuries. But I hope the Lakers get a similar record as they did in 09.

lefty
09-29-2009, 03:58 PM
I was thinking around the same as last season..maybe 66-67. Remember 2000 when they finished 67-15..following season they finished 56-26. Not sure if that was due to injuries. But I hope the Lakers get a similar record as they did in 09.

I can see 2 factors:

- Fisher's injury; as soon as he came back, Lakers won 15 straight games going into the playoffs, where they almost swept everybody (and Fish had 26 pts in his 1st game back from an injury, it was vs Boston)

- Kobe's selfishness for most of the regular season.

LakeShow
09-29-2009, 04:00 PM
I can see 2 factors:

- Fisher's injury; as soon as he came back, Lakers won 15 straight games going into the playoffs, where they almost swept everybody (and Fish had 26 pts in his 1st game back from an injury, it was vs Boston)

- Kobe's selfishness for most of the regular season.

Shaq's laziness and being out of shape.

lefty
09-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Shaq's laziness and being out of shape.

He was ok in 2000-2001.

But in 2002-2003, yes, he was so heavy

2Cleva
09-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Shaq was bad in 01-02 as well. That led to the Kobe/Shaq blowup. Shaq wanted to chill after one ring and Kobe wanted to keep the pedal down.

No one to contest Kobe's approach this year. LA will be clicking all season. Better than last year because it will be Artest at the 3 all year long. People forget it was Radmanovic for the 1st third, Walton starting the 2nd third of the season.

lefty
09-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Shaq was bad in 01-02 as well. That led to the Kobe/Shaq blowup. Shaq wanted to chill after one ring and Kobe wanted to keep the pedal down.

No one to contest Kobe's approach this year. LA will be clicking all season. Better than last year because it will be Artest at the 3 all year long. People forget it was Radmanovic for the 1st third, Walton starting the 2nd third of the season.
Artest is so much better than Rdman Walton and Ariza combined.

A lot of people expect Artest to mess things up, but it won't happen.

JamStone
09-29-2009, 04:17 PM
There may be a few, but most people don't think Artest to mess things up from a basketball point of view. It's non-related basketball things they're afraid of.

LakeShow
09-29-2009, 04:19 PM
He was ok in 2000-2001.

But in 2002-2003, yes, he was so heavy

Maybe he was out of shape more in 2002-2003 but Shaq never came to training camp in shape. As far as I recall. That's why kobe was on his ass.

LakeShow
09-29-2009, 04:21 PM

My bad Cleva, I didn't see your post while i was posting. I agree.

LakeShow
09-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Phil's is thinking about going with a big lineup next season

Lamar
Kobe
Andrew
Pau
Ron

Damn, that would be awesome.

EmantheSpursFan
09-29-2009, 04:46 PM

Lamar
Kobe
Andrew
Pau
Ron

Bigger they are the harder they will fall

haha

:toast

2Cleva
09-29-2009, 04:57 PM

Lamar
Kobe
Andrew
Pau
Ron

Only for certain matchups where the PG isn't a real threat, like Boston.

Fisher will get the starting nod.

KSeal
09-29-2009, 05:40 PM
I don't think tlong is very happy with the responses so far :lol

TheMACHINE
09-29-2009, 05:45 PM

Lamar
Kobe
Andrew
Pau
Ron

yah..that line up will definately be hard to defend quick pg's. But offense would be crazzzy.

Allanon
09-29-2009, 07:26 PM
History says Phil wins rings in sets of 3.

If Phil can survive the daily bickering of ShaqKobe and the resulting split locker room AND a dress-wearing Dennis Rodman, Lamar marrying a Kardashian is childsplay.

DeadlyDynasty
09-29-2009, 07:58 PM
History says Phil wins rings in sets of 3.

If Phil can survive the daily bickering of ShaqKobe and the resulting split locker room AND a dress-wearing Dennis Rodman, Lamar marrying a Kardashian is childsplay.

couldn't have said it better myself:toast

iggypop123
09-29-2009, 08:08 PM
if i remember the lakers were almost 500 at the all star break

Brazil
09-29-2009, 08:14 PM
The only chance for the rest of the league is to see Portland / Lakers in PO... euh... wait

bostonguy
09-29-2009, 08:30 PM
A team with Kobe and Phil on it is focused on repeating. What is scary is the Lakers can only get better. If Bynum doesn't have another freak accident injury happen to him, the kid will be at worse a contributing role player.

tlongII
09-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Thats what yall said about Denver last year.

We ain't Denver dude. We're going to kick your ass.

tlongII
09-29-2009, 08:58 PM
tlong, don't you ever stop coming here, dude.

You got nothing to worry about there.

WildcardManu
09-29-2009, 09:47 PM
We ain't Denver dude. We're going to kick your ass.

Why do you always fail to acknowledge the Lakers are better than the Blazers? I mean it's not hard to see.... The Blazers got talent and that's about it.

djohn2oo8
09-29-2009, 09:53 PM
why do you always fail to acknowledge the lakers are better than the blazers? I mean it's not hard to see.... The blazers got talent and that's about it.

+1

picc84
09-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Why do you always fail to acknowledge the Lakers are better than the Blazers? I mean it's not hard to see.... The Blazers got talent and that's about it.

Why did the scorpion sting the frog taking him across the pond?

EmantheSpursFan
09-29-2009, 11:43 PM
Why did the scorpion sting the frog taking him across the pond?

B/c he couldn't resist :toast:lol

tlongII
09-30-2009, 12:31 AM

Because they aren't. :lol

#2!
09-30-2009, 03:07 AM
+1
(about your sig)
hey man i might be wrong about this but wasn't tmac always #1? did he really give up his number to the likes of Trevor Ariza?

#2!
09-30-2009, 03:09 AM
also, its pretty funny how some of the laker threads in here have as much serious discussion on basketball as spurs threads in the spurs forum. not a horrible development really since this place can get pretty ridiculous sometimes.

Culburn369
09-30-2009, 04:53 AM

Lamar
Kobe
Andrew
Pau
Ron

That stubborn old f'k. I'll believe it when I see it.

2Cleva
09-30-2009, 07:59 AM
(about your sig)
hey man i might be wrong about this but wasn't tmac always #1? did he really give up his number to the likes of Trevor Ariza?

Rockets guard Tracy McGrady will change his uniform number to No. 3 to promote his “3 points Darfur” initiative, with an announcement expected this week.

McGrady put in the paperwork for the uniform change midway through last season and had received league approval. He was making the switch to his high school number to bring attention to his Darfur Dream Team campaign and 3 Points documentary,

Newly acquired Trevor Ariza will wear No. 1 but could not show the uniform at the news conference last week while details of McGrady’s uniform change were completed.

The Darfur Dream Team enlists athletes to help raise funds for schools in Chad for Darfur refugees in a sister school program with schools in the United States. The documentary 3 Points follows McGrady on his trip to Sudan and Chad in the summer of 2007.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6526166.html

ginobili's bald spot
09-30-2009, 08:57 AM

Lamar
Kobe
Andrew
Pau
Ron

I think in most situations that would be a very bad idea.

LakeShow
09-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Of course that lineup would have it's pros and cons. If Kobe were a little younger it could be one of the best. I would not like to see Kobe at this point of his career chasing around point guards all season so starting Fisher may be the best way to go. The Lakers can use that lineup whenever they like during games.

You know Phil, he loves lineups like that and he wins titles with it. I wouldn't rule it out just yet. He's thinking about it.

Sportcamper
09-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Kobe, Pau, Ron, Adam & Fish are ready…
Seriously…Are Lamar & Sasha ever focused on basketball?

hater
09-30-2009, 10:27 AM
When you consider Phil and Kobe's history - having the team focused on a repeat is a given.

/thread

hater
09-30-2009, 10:28 AM
as long as Sasha has got the brazilian wax requested by Kobe, they have a good chance at repeating