PDA

View Full Version : Hall Of Famer David Robinson Joins Push For 2016

duncan228
09-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Hall Of Famer David Robinson Joins Push For 2016 (http://cbs2chicago.com/olympics2016/david.robinson.2016.2.1216589.html)
Jay Levine

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp/robinson2016.jpg
Former San Antonio Spurs center and basketball hall of famer David Robinson jokes with CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine in Copenhagen on Sept. 29, 2009, after arriving as part of the Chicago 2016 Olympics bid committee.

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (CBS) ― A late, perhaps unlikely addition to Chicago's 2016 bid team arrived in Copenhagen with other team members on Tuesday. No, not President Obama. He's going later this week.

CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine reports that the surprise guest was a three-time Olympian and basketball hall of famer with a special tie to Chicago, helping make Chicago's case.

After getting off a chartered Boeing 747 in Copenhagen Tuesday, Mayor Richard M. Daley and Chicago 2016 CEO Pat Ryan held their first news conference in Denmark to kick off what Ryan described as the stretch run.

"We're far from the finish line, but we're in full sprint coming out of a marathon run; we're in full sprint through the finish line."

Running along with him was an impressive collection of gold medal winners, including former San Antonio Spurs center David Robinson.

"My wife is from Chicago, so obviously every week when the Bears are on I get the Bear claw and the Bears cheer, so I'm intimately familiar with Chicago," Robinson said, donning a blue jacket indicating him as one of Chicago's athlete ambassadors in Copenhagen. "Obviously this is not about Chicago, it's not about the United States, it's about what's gonna be best for the Olympic movement."

Robinson created quite a stir at a local gym Tuesday afternoon.

"He's a legend, I've watched him all my life play basketball; the Spurs and for the Dream Team," said one young man at the gym.

Denmark has never had a player in the NBA; some feel Ken Laarson could be the first.

"It's a big thing for me, because he's my idol," said when Robinson joined other players on the court.

Robinson believes the Olympics' impact on young people is huge. That's why he wants it in his wife Valerie's hometown; she grew up on the South Side, even if all his memories there aren't great.

Robinson was very gracious in helping promote Chicago's bid even though his Spurs were often the victims of Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls championship teams.

"See you reminded me of this, now I'm getting a little mad at Chicago, but we'll have to put that aside for now," Robinson said.

You can multiply Robinson's individual impact in Denmark by the number of team members out there this week, showing the flag and the spirit they hope will bring the games to Chicago.

Phenomanul
09-29-2009, 06:48 PM
I wonder if Alamo50 will make the drive to go see him...

TIMMYD!
09-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Cool.

baseline bum
09-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Robinson was very gracious in helping promote Chicago's bid even though his Spurs walked all over many of Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls championship teams.

fify

NoOptionB
09-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Hopefully Obama can learn a thing or two from The Admiral.

CubanSucks
09-29-2009, 11:57 PM
Daaaaaave