PDA

View Full Version : Lost season gives Trail Blazers' Martell Webster an appreciation for simple things

tlongII
09-30-2009, 08:45 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/09/lost_season_gives_trail_blazer.html

TUALATIN -- A season away from basketball, an indecisive NFL quarterback and the heartache of watching his teammates succeed without him inspired Martell Webster to reach a simple-as-it-sounds conclusion about his job with the Trail Blazers.

"One of the things I learned is that you have to enjoy this," Webster said. "It doesn't last forever. I kind of took that from Brett Favre. Every time I see him on the field, he's smiling and enjoying every second of it. That's what you have to do. I'm just taking each second and soaking it in for what it's worth."

The first week of training camp is typically filled with tales about dedicated offseasons, refined games, drastic individual improvement and fresh attitudes. But in Webster's case, this truly is a season of rebirth.

After all, he missed all but five minutes of last season with a left foot injury and was forced to watch the team he was supposed to start for rack up 54 victories, a co-Northwest Division championship and reach the playoffs. In light of that, Webster said he's simply happy to be healthy and able to roam the court.

And this happier-than-ever Webster, who always has been good at keeping the Blazers' locker room loose, has been even more evident throughout the early parts of training camp.

At media day, he wiggled his way into a media food buffet line and fended off Greg Oden as the towering center jokingly shoved Webster aside. After the first practice, on Tuesday, Webster roamed the practice court mocking teammates as they did interviews. And Wednesday, after he and the Blazers' other small forwards put in extra work following practice, Webster laughed as he participated in the "Small Forward Shuffle," a group dance of sorts featuring assistant coach Monty Williams.

"He's always having fun and joking around," Brandon Roy said. "The NBA season is long, so you kind of need that around. You can tell he's happy to be back."

But there's more than simple euphoria glowing from Webster. There's something about his demeanor, the way he interacts with the media and carries himself, that screams "older and wiser." Webster said he learned a lot about basketball and, more importantly, himself as he watched from the sidelines last season.

At the start of his fifth NBA season -- the first of a four-year, $20 million contract extension -- Webster said he's lucky to have the opportunity to play. His family situation -- his second daughter, Nylah Grace, is 6 months old and he has plans to marry his fiancee, Courtney Clarke, next summer -- has fostered more maturity.

So while multiple Blazers have expressed a desire to start this week -- including Nicolas Batum, Webster's chief competition at small forward -- Webster has taken a more philosophical and team-oriented approach to the season. He complimented Batum for setting ambitious goals and motivating himself, but selflessly stated that starting was secondary to winning.

Webster might as well be a walking, talking public relations message for coach Nate McMillan's training camp mantra about putting the team before the individual. More than once this week, Webster has talked about "sacrificing" personal desires to help the team "achieve great things."

In another illustration of this sacrifice -- and of Webster's increased maturity -- Webster said he fully embraced the Blazers' summer pursuit of free agent Hedo Turkoglu, who was courted to play small forward.

"He's a great player; I don't blame them," Webster said. "I'm still here. If (Turkoglu) were here, I would still be here, too. In this game, you have to make an effort to try and make your team as best as you can. And that's what we tried to do. It's a business."

But didn't the Turkoglu quest signal that the Blazers had doubts about Webster?

"Not even. (Turkoglu) would have to go out there and deal with me at the end of the day," Webster said, chuckling. "If he's here or if he's not here, I still have to go out there and do what I'm supposed to do ... be competitive, try to make him better, while at the same time try to make myself better. He's a hell of a player and that would be more of a challenge for me. This is a business. If he would have been here, I love Hedo. He's a great player. I kind of look up to him."

As for the basketball side of things, early indications are encouraging. Webster's left foot is completely healed, and his jumper is as pretty as ever.

Roy said Webster has been "bouncy" and "flying around" practice and appears to be jumping higher than when he suffered the injury last October. McMillan said it's clear Webster isn't thinking about his once-injured foot.

"He's working his butt off and he's in great shape," McMillan said. "He's running hard. He's making strong moves to the basketball. His shot looks good. He's trying to pick up the schemes again. And he's working hard and throwing his body all around. He's not hesitant at all with his play."

Two seasons ago, Webster averaged a career-high 10.7 points, led the Blazers with 123 three-pointers and started 70 games. Before his injury, Williams said, Webster was poised for a "breakout season." No one is going that far this time, but teammates and coaches insist Webster will have a significant -- and perhaps starting -- role on the team.

"I don't think anybody's hungrier than me," Webster said. "After taking a year off and experiencing what I experienced, watching my team go to the playoffs, that's probably one of the hardest things (to do) as a professional athlete. I'm definitely hungry and I'm ready to get there again."

iggypop123
09-30-2009, 10:01 PM
the other articles are ok but dont post about some scrub

tlongII
09-30-2009, 10:17 PM
the other articles are ok but dont post about some scrub

:lol This scrub is going to ruin you!