PDA

View Full Version : New View On Kimbo

CubanSucks
10-01-2009, 12:39 AM
I used to be on the other side of Kimbo's fandom, the side that hated him, but after what I've seen so far on TUF, I don't know how anyone can hate on this guy. The guy is humble, the guy wants to learn all he can, the guy recognizes that he NEEDS to learn all he can to become an ultimate fighter, and even if all this wasn't true he still showed up despite all the criticism. The guy isn't some cocky punk thug that thinks he can box his way to the top like I used to think he was.

dbreiden83080
10-01-2009, 12:46 AM
His attitude appears to be excellent and i think that is a major reason why the UFC is talking him up. Dana has already said "He'll fight in the UFC again" He' lost, we'll see if he gets another crack at it on the show, but he's done well for himself in terms of PR on the show so far..

CubanSucks
10-01-2009, 02:52 AM
Whatever success comes from this for Kimbo can mostly be credited to Rampage. Without his personality and support I seriously doubt Kimbo would look like such a good guy. At least it wouldn't have for me

Evan
10-01-2009, 07:22 AM
UFC marketing is perfection....

UFC - Humble introspective guy who grew up rough and can fight. He's the underdog that everyone is rooting for.

Pro Elite marketing- A street thug brawler who everyone wanted to hate.

LEONARD
10-01-2009, 08:47 AM
I like Kimbo the dude but realized long ago he wasn't that great and had a lot to learn. I've always been open to give him a chance and see how fast he can pick it up, but I'm a little shocked at his lack of ground knowledge after about 3 yrs of training. WTF did Bas teach him? Tiki said he didn't know shit when he got to the house. I thought Kimbo was taking it seriously a couple years ago but maybe he really wasn't?

I've seen him listed as being on the TUF 10 Finale card, so even if he doesn't fight on the show again he's a sure lock to fight in the UFC. Kimbo = ratings and the UFC will get what they can out of him...

How the fuck does Kimbo weigh 230 lbs????

DBryant88
10-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Kimbo really impressed me last night with how fast he was learning the moves that rampage was teachin'
and like Cuban said, he did appear to be very humble and he took critisim very well knowing that he needs this to get better:tu

oligarchy
10-01-2009, 10:41 AM
reminds me of Kongo. They just aren't going to figure out takedown defense, or a semblence of a ground game.

Destro
10-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Buying the UFC hype
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-kimbo093009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

CubanSucks
10-01-2009, 03:30 PM
I didn't say that I thought he was gonna be a great fighter one day, all I said is that I now WANT him to succeed cause of his good attitude. I'm now a fan of the PERSON Kimbo and because of that I hope he does good.

desflood
10-01-2009, 04:35 PM
I like Kimbo the dude but realized long ago he wasn't that great and had a lot to learn. I've always been open to give him a chance and see how fast he can pick it up, but I'm a little shocked at his lack of ground knowledge after about 3 yrs of training. WTF did Bas teach him? Tiki said he didn't know shit when he got to the house. I thought Kimbo was taking it seriously a couple years ago but maybe he really wasn't?

I've seen him listed as being on the TUF 10 Finale card, so even if he doesn't fight on the show again he's a sure lock to fight in the UFC. Kimbo = ratings and the UFC will get what they can out of him...

How the fuck does Kimbo weigh 230 lbs????
Bas has hinted that Kimbo had a big (but undeserved) ego and didn't take instruction well, at least not from Bas.

polandprzem
10-02-2009, 01:42 AM
reminds me of Kongo. They just aren't going to figure out takedown defense, or a semblence of a ground game.

kongo has a good takedown defense

Kimbo on te other hand - I'm giving &1 for what Leo said. How can he be still so bad on the ground. Few yers back he was talking that his ground is good and he can fightb on the ground. it was after the mercer fight (or maybe thompson? nah rather mercer)

btw. what's so strange about his 230lbs?

LEONARD
10-02-2009, 08:08 AM
btw. what's so strange about his 230lbs?

He's listed at 6'2" (doubtful) and his upper body is massive...he looks 250 lbs. I just can't figure out how he's only 12 lbs more than me...

Roy did say this...

When you and Kimbo were against the fence, he was able to defend with a whizzer at least for a little while. How closely did his takedown defense match your expectations?

He's just super-strong. A lot of people don't realize he's a 245-pound guy, except when he's on different types of medications (that) bring his weight down.

But the thing is, I like to do the wear-and-tear because I do jiu-jitsu. It's not about getting the fight all the way to the ground right away. It's basically make the guy tired, make him fatigued and then take him down. And then work for your position first before you do something stupid.

--------

I wish the interviewer would've asked him WTF he was talking about with these "medications"...

oligarchy
10-02-2009, 08:56 AM
kongo has a good takedown defense

This guy? http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0303/0952/cheick_kongo_400_feature.jpg

I guess we are watching two different fighters. I would never say he has good takedown defense. If by good takedown defense, you mean he doesn't have any, then I agree.

dbreiden83080
10-02-2009, 11:03 AM
He's listed at 6'2" (doubtful) and his upper body is massive...he looks 250 lbs. I just can't figure out how he's only 12 lbs more than me...

Roy did say this...

When you and Kimbo were against the fence, he was able to defend with a whizzer at least for a little while. How closely did his takedown defense match your expectations?

He's just super-strong. A lot of people don't realize he's a 245-pound guy, except when he's on different types of medications (that) bring his weight down.

But the thing is, I like to do the wear-and-tear because I do jiu-jitsu. It's not about getting the fight all the way to the ground right away. It's basically make the guy tired, make him fatigued and then take him down. And then work for your position first before you do something stupid.

--------

I wish the interviewer would've asked him WTF he was talking about with these "medications"...

And you look at Kimbo and man he is always in awesome shape.. You know he's always on a good diet, always in the gym, lifting and getting his cardio in. Yet his ground game still is awful. Makes you wonder why he has not busted his ass with his MMA training when clearly he has a good work ethic..

NoOptionB
10-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Bullshit.

I saw Kimbo on ESPN's Cowherd show a month ago. Cowherd and the cohost were playing him up to be some King Kong Elite MMA Fighter and Kimbo played along with it. Humble on the real MMA stage where he knows the audience actually knows who he is maybe...

At least the UFC isn't trying to throw the matches in Kimbo's favor though.

polandprzem
10-03-2009, 05:33 AM
This guy? http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0303/0952/cheick_kongo_400_feature.jpg

I guess we are watching two different fighters. I would never say he has good takedown defense. If by good takedown defense, you mean he doesn't have any, then I agree.

well comparing him to kimbo in that regard you can tell that he has good takedown defense.
maybe saying good is too much, but i just saw his fight against herring who was unable to take him down. Wasn't trying much though.
Against velasquez he looked awefull, but well it's Cain one of the best in that aspect of the game

robbie380
10-05-2009, 11:24 AM
well he is with american top team now so it will be interesting to see how he develops with those bad asses. i wonder if kimbo is going to put a solid run together after he gets his 2nd chance on TUF.