PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: McDyess feels ‘privileged’ to be with Spurs

Mel_13
10-01-2009, 08:14 AM
McDyess feels ‘privileged’ to be with Spurs

In the 2 1/2 months that passed between his final game as a Detroit Piston and his first day as a San Antonio Spur, Antonio McDyess contemplated his future in the NBA.

His conclusion, reached in the hours before the free-agent market opened on July 1: Unless he got a contract offer from the Spurs, he would retire, giving up on his quest for an NBA championship ring after 13 seasons...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/63052172.html

timvp
10-01-2009, 08:48 AM
It's still difficult to figure out if McDyess was the first option in free agency. We'll probably never know for sure -- and it ultimately doesn't matter.

I can't wait for the first high-low post entry from McDyess to Duncan. :hungry:

DBMethos
10-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Dice is someone who I always hated playing against us (because he always seemed to kill us), but he always struck me as a great guy to have on your team. Now we've got him! :downspin:

rjv
10-01-2009, 09:00 AM
tim's a power forward ?

Samr
10-01-2009, 09:05 AM
You know, KT is someone the Spurs had admittedly wanted for a few years as well. Then the Spurs got him and realized he was a year or two past his true effectiveness.

I have no doubt McD is going to be different, but it's an interesting comparison.

He just seems so happy to be a part of the Spurs, evident in the way he acts in the interviews and in the way he says things in the quotes. He sounds like the type guy that if you asked his big ass to play shooting guard he'd smile and go "sure!"

I also like that the vets-coming-to-camp-out-of-shape mentality appears to be a theme. It's like there's a 2-3 month lag from the rest of the league to the Spurs. The real season starts after the All-Star break; saving their legs may just save the Spurs a season.

rjv
10-01-2009, 09:10 AM
one thing about dice is that he is a bit more versatile than kurt thomas. he will also be playing in a less rigid offensive set and with more options as well.

timaios
10-01-2009, 09:58 AM
It's still difficult to figure out if McDyess was the first option in free agency. We'll probably never know for sure -- and it ultimately doesn't matter.

Well, the Spurs had Antonio McDyess + DeJuan Blair for the price of a Rasheed Wallace.
It was a really good bargain finally. :toast to the Spurs for their use of the MLE.

JamStone
10-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Still a really good player, always a really great person.

Good luck, Dice.

Darthkiller
10-01-2009, 10:04 AM
lol dyess still bitter about 05

Nathan Explosion
10-01-2009, 10:12 AM

It's the closest he's gotten. I'd imagine that I'd be bitter too. Although I'm sure he understands that it was fairly won in a tough battle between the two teams.

tmtcsc
10-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Kurt Thomas sucked while he was here. He never met the expectations we had for him.

hater
10-01-2009, 10:19 AM
I can't wait for the matchup:
KG, Sheed vs. Duncan, McDyess

4 legends going at it.

coaches should do us all a favor and just let them go 2-2

urunobili
10-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Dice was my #1 option for big man this summer... I couldn't be more excited...

Danny.Zhu
10-01-2009, 10:45 AM
McDyess feels ‘privileged’ to be with Spurs

Unless he got a contract offer from the Spurs, he would retire, giving up on his quest for an NBA championship ring after 13 seasons...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/63052172.html

Really?

elbamba
10-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Dice appears to be in much better shape then KT was. Kurt came to the Spurs overweight and really never got to a weight where he could keep up with the more slender forwards. Dice will be able to and he and Tim will be able to use each other to protect the basket and force the more difficult shots.

xtremesteven33
10-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Damn i hope this isnt the year where he starts to slip....

honestfool84
10-01-2009, 01:17 PM

shut your mouth...

:lol

UnWantedTheory
10-01-2009, 01:48 PM

I think he should be fine for two more years with our talent, and what his role with the team will be.

angelbelow
10-01-2009, 02:05 PM

Then stop thinking about it :p:

Kamnik
10-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Got to love Dice!

TimDunkem
10-01-2009, 02:38 PM
It's good to finally hear something from Dice. He's one of my favorite players.

Spurs Brazil
10-01-2009, 03:22 PM
His conclusion, reached in the hours before the free-agent market opened on July 1: Unless he got a contract offer from the Spurs, he would retire, giving up on his quest for an NBA championship ring after 13 seasons

It'd be great if he can win one with the Spurs.

I think McDyess will work very well with TD

EricB
10-01-2009, 03:23 PM
McDyess is about as perfect a pairing for this team as you can get.

Jazzed as hell to see this team take the damn court.

DPG21920
10-01-2009, 03:26 PM
I feel privileged that Dice is apart of the Spurs. Great guy and great fit. I truly hope it works out well and that he has a lot left in the tank.

lefty
10-01-2009, 03:30 PM
:hungry:

bdubya
10-01-2009, 03:51 PM

Aren't you? I am...

lefty
10-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Damn

So he will destroy the Spurs from the inside ?:(

Bruno
10-01-2009, 03:58 PM
If the Spurs or retirement info is true, that's quite awesome.

TIMMYD!
10-01-2009, 04:05 PM
I think he should be fine for two more years with our talent, and what his role with the team will be.

Yeah I also think he has about two years left.

Manufan909
10-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Still a really good player, always a really great person.

Good luck, Dice.

Is he a big shot blocker, or more of a shot alterer?

JamStone
10-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Is he a big shot blocker, or more of a shot alterer?

Neither really. He'll hold his ground in the low post against most bigs, but he doesn't really block or alter shots very much.

DPG21920
10-01-2009, 04:13 PM
He is not a big shot blocker and he does not "alter" many shots. He is a decent shot blocker but a solid perimeter defender.

Manufan909
10-01-2009, 04:17 PM
He is not a big shot blocker and he does not "alter" many shots. He is a decent shot blocker but a solid perimeter defender.

Cool. Just confused why I've heard that the rim will be so hard to get to with the Spurs new starting frontline, when I've never heard of Dyess being an "enforcer", if you will.

baseline bum
10-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Kurt Thomas sucked while he was here. He never met the expectations we had for him.

I disagree. Kurt was a major part of getting past Phoenix in 08. I don't know that the Spurs win that series with Oberto getting murdered by Shaq.

DPG21920
10-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Cool. Just confused why I've heard that the rim will be so hard to get to with the Spurs new starting frontline, when I've never heard of Dyess being an "enforcer", if you will.

Well primarily because the perimeter defense will be so much improved, that it will be harder to get to the rim. Also,when that happens they won't have as much difficulty rotating to the right spots and they won't be out of position.

EricB
10-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Dyess still has some hops. I'm sure he will alter some shots with his length and jumping ability.

Strike
10-01-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm just glad the Spurs finally made moves in the offseason and made every effort to address the deficiencies in the lineup. If McDyess helps lead the Spurs to a 5th title, it's money well spent in my opinion.

TIMMYD!
10-01-2009, 10:47 PM
I can't wait for the matchup:
KG, Sheed vs. Duncan, McDyess

4 legends going at it.

coaches should do us all a favor and just let them go 2-2

More like one.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-02-2009, 12:59 AM

Nah, fuck that, I'm claiming this shit. I was all over it before anyone else, even through all the naysaying. :lol

Seeing Sheed play so awfully last year, combined with Dice's solid all-around game, incredibly good mid-range jumper (6th most accurate in the NBA last year), and Spurs-like character, and it seemed pretty obvious to me. :D

The first of many, no doubt! :downspin:

SpursPreacher
10-02-2009, 03:29 AM
i bet mcdyess is sleeping with parker

which one lol.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-02-2009, 04:31 AM
Because the people that said it don't know what they're talking about. Make no mistake about it, Rasheed was the perfect fit and the Spurs fucked up royally by not busting their asses to try to get him.

So, this means you would have let Blair walk? Because the Spurs used the MLE for both Dyes and Blair, while Sheed got the whole MLE.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-02-2009, 04:53 AM
How do you know what the Spurs offered? And how do you know Rasheed wouldn't have taken the McDyess numbers with a little more encouragement from the Spurs players and staff, a la Boston? If anything, you've got to try. You've got to give it your all. That is, if you're completely serious about winning rings. And I'm not completely certain everyone on the Spurs is anymore. They seem content with 4, and that pisses me off as a fan.

For the sake of having a proper argument, let's omiss the usage of all the 'what ifs' and use only facts, shall we?

Spurs were interested in both Sheed and Dyess, confirmed by Sheed and his agent and obviously by Dyess coming here.
Sheed did not come here. Fact. He went to Boston for the whole MLE. Fact. Dyess came for less than the MLE. Fact.

Without knowing any details, of course, the conclusion is that IF the Spurs thought of Sheed as their No.1 option, he has obviously chosen to go where the bigger contract is and turned the Spurs down. You can use whatever fictional or alternative scenarii you might want, but this remains the fact of the matter.

Don't see how this is the Spurs fault then, unless you think having Sheed is better than having both Dyess and Blair. But I don't see how you can make any other argument.

will_spurs
10-02-2009, 05:03 AM
What I'm more surprised about is McDyess saying he wanted to come earlier but was turned down... because of what? Money? It can't be because any of the Spurs bigs were better than McDyess (except Duncan of course).

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-02-2009, 05:09 AM
This argument is, of course, complete horse shit. Blair could use the LLE.

Eh... I'll let someone else educate you.

baseline bum
10-02-2009, 05:16 AM
As a Spurs fan, I feel pretty privileged to have Dice on my favorite team. He had been my #1 choice for a while this offseason (though Sheed was a close second), and I'm really excited about the rebounding, defense, and that midrange jumper he's going to bring.

gm5k
10-02-2009, 05:19 AM
As a Spurs fan, I feel pretty privileged to have Dice on my favorite team. He had been my #1 choice for a while this offseason (though Sheed was a close second), and I'm really excited about the rebounding, defense, and that midrange jumper he's going to bring.

+1 to everything here. Dice brings such a nice consistency at the position that we have not had in a long time :toast

Mel_13
10-02-2009, 05:22 AM

Eh... I'll let someone else educate you.

Be glad to. An LLE contract cannot be for more than two years. At the end of that two years, the Spurs would have early Bird rights on a Restricted FA. So in the scenario where Blair plays extremely well, the Spurs would either lose him after two years or have to pay him much, much more (up to the full MLE) than they have to under his current contract.

The partial MLE contract he signed is for four years and less than 4M total. If Blair's knees do not hold up, the Spurs can buy out the last two years for a total of 500K.

Lastly, using any part of the LLE this year would make it unavailable for use in the summer of 2010.

benefactor
10-02-2009, 05:22 AM
Not to get the contract he wanted. The LLE is only a 2 year max. Blair got a 4 year deal.

benefactor
10-02-2009, 05:23 AM
Be glad to. An LLE contract cannot be for more than two years. At the end of that two years, the Spurs would have early Bird rights on a Restricted FA. So in the scenario where Blair plays extremely well, the Spurs would either lose him after two years or have to pay him much, much more (up to the full MLE) than they have to under his current contract.

The partial MLE contract he signed is for four years and less than 4M total. If Blair's knees do not hold up, the Spurs can buy out the last two years for a total of 500K.

Lastly, using any part of the LLE this year would make it unavailable for use in the summer of 2010.
Beat me to it. :)

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-02-2009, 05:27 AM
For some strange, pathetic reason I feel a surge of juice run through my balls when I completely silence someone like this.

Interesting, do you feel the same surge when you're getting owned too?

benefactor
10-02-2009, 05:33 AM
It's much smarter to do the 4 year deal. That way they are secure in knowing that they won't be stuck with his contract if he knees go and they don't take the risk of him bolting after his second year to some team that is willing to overpay. It's much more of a win/win scenario.

benefactor
10-02-2009, 05:44 AM
I'm not sure Rasheed ever planned on coming here. IIRC, he had a meeting scheduled with us and called it off to go to Boston.

Mel_13
10-02-2009, 05:52 AM
For me, this is a lot like the Jefferson deal. If you can get Carter by giving up Mason or Hill added on, you do that in a second. If you can give Blair a 2-year deal instead of a 4-year and sign Rasheed instead of McDyess, you do that in a heartbeat as well. For me, these are no brainers.

There is no evidence that the Spurs were not willing to do those things and that:

1. The Nets were not interested in the Spurs' expiring contracts plus Mason and/or Hill. Or that they found the Orlando package to be superior to anything the Spurs could put on the table.

2. Rasheed still would have chosen Boston even if the money was equal and the Spurs sent a delegation that included Tim, Tony, Manu, Drob, Iceman, and Eva.

Muser
10-02-2009, 05:56 AM
The Nets wouldn't of traded VC to the Spurs, the package they got from Orlando was much better than anything SA could offer.

Mel_13
10-02-2009, 06:04 AM
That's all speculation.

Of course it is. As is everything you've had to say about the decision-making regarding Carter/Jefferson and Sheed/Dice. We'll never know what conversations took place between the Spurs and the Nets or between the Spurs and Wallace/Wallace's agent.

The Spurs may have made the best possible deals available this summer or they may have missed opportunities. This is where our opinions certainly diverge. You would see missed opportunities as proof of some lack of commitment to winning. I would not.

benefactor
10-02-2009, 07:03 AM
He did, because the Spurs didn't show him the love Boston did. And that's why I say the Spurs aren't as serious about winning rings as they used to be, in my eyes.

Duncan isn't doing any recruiting and Parker is fucking around with the national team rolling ankles, after he saw what happened to Manu first hand. Popobitch is sitting sipping wine like a fairy in France. I mean, come on. Go and meet this guy. Compete with Boston.
Meh. If Rasheed was serious about keeping all his options open then a bunch of ass kissing should not matter. He is at a point in his career where he is concerned about being it the best possible situation to win a ring, not who can make the best sales pitch. If wining and dining is important than Jason Kidd should have been a Spur.

He had a meeting planned with the Spurs and canceled it, which means he did not care to hear about what they had to offer. That says to me that he was never interested in coming here in the first place.

tmtcsc
10-02-2009, 09:44 AM
“There have been years when I’ve been trying to come here before, but they turned me down,” McDyess said. “I feel privileged to be here.

Interesting. I wonder if it was a money thing. I think its pretty well known that David Robinson was Dice's favorite player growing up.