PDA

View Full Version : Rifleman shooting coach or Ron-Ron babysitter?

T2150
10-01-2009, 12:36 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers1-2009oct01,0,4521818.story

I think the latter...

Allanon
10-01-2009, 01:51 PM
The more I read from Ron, the more I realize this was a brilliant move.

The biggest concern was Ron trying to be the man. But every quote I"ve seen or read from Ron, he's practically gotten his kneepads out for Kobe.

"Everybody's hungry because Kobe comes in here and he leads by example and everybody follows," Artest said. "We all have to be on the same page as Kobe. It doesn't really matter how I feel. It really matters how Kobe feels."

Kobe/Ron/Lamar are going to combine for an insanely good defensive trio to end games...can't wait.

LakeShow
10-01-2009, 02:02 PM
I like this one. Let's get this party started.

"He's getting in there and mixing it up," Coach Phil Jackson said. "I think Ron's going to fit very well."

Said Bryant: "He looks good. He's moving extremely well. He looks like Ron."

Dr Cox
10-01-2009, 02:12 PM
lakers should be fun to watch...if they can all click with artest it should be fun to watch

hater
10-01-2009, 03:04 PM
The more I read from Ron, the more I realize this was a brilliant move.

The biggest concern was Ron trying to be the man. But every quote I"ve seen or read from Ron, he's practically gotten his kneepads out for Kobe.

Kobe/Ron/Lamar are going to combine for an insanely good defensive trio to end games...can't wait.

you do realize Ronron has a long history of saying something and doing the exact opposite?

Allanon
10-01-2009, 03:07 PM
you do realize Ronron has a long history of saying something and doing the exact opposite?

No, I don't recall anything like that.

What has Ron Ron said in the past and done the opposite of?

EricB
10-01-2009, 03:13 PM
No, I don't recall anything like that.

What has Ron Ron said in the past and done the opposite of?

Google Indiana Pacer years...

djohn2oo8
10-01-2009, 03:14 PM
when ron said that brandon roy was better than kobe, than retracted the statement the next day

hater
10-01-2009, 03:16 PM
didn't he apply for a job at Staples once? never showed up

he once bought a dog to bring up as a pet, dog died of hunger

the 100000s of times he said "team first"

Allanon
10-01-2009, 03:22 PM
That's all minor stuff.

His reputation for craziness has been exagerated beyond reality and out of proportion. Is he a bit "odd"...sure. But the fact that nobody can bring up anything recently bad about Ron is proof of its own.

Ron's basketball related "bad" stuff goes way back to the Brawl at the Palace. And if somebody threw a beer in my face, I'd go give him a beatdown too. Was it so bad that he went into the stands to beat the shit out of a jack-ass fan that threw a beer at him?

DPG21920
10-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Yes. He also said blame him if the Lakers lose. Isn't it Kobe's fault because it is his team?

Indazone
10-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Can't wait to see Ron Ron doing his best "Machine" impression and chucking from the Laker's 3 pt line

Allanon
10-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Yes. He also said blame him if the Lakers lose. Isn't it Kobe's fault because it is his team?

What, Ron's willing to take the blame for Kobe even? Hahah, I toldja guys Ron was practically subservient to Kobe.

This is gonna work out great.

djohn2oo8
10-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Laker fans sure turned on Ariza fast

turiaf for president
07-30-2008, 12:20 AM
as far as laker fans getting on mitch, i dont think it woulda worked in la. artest would have been a 4th option behind kobe pau and bynum. u think he';s gonna let that fly? no way in hell. lamar on the other hand like to pass first and is a better rebounder. for d'ing up the opposing 3's like pierce and t mac, etc. a healthy ariza can do an adequate enough job for the purple and gold

Originally Posted by 21_Blessings http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/nba/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2691941#post2691941)
Yeah, let me go cry myself to sleep. The Lakers were the best team in the West last season and they're adding a healthy Bynum and Ariza.

lefty
10-01-2009, 03:45 PM
That's all minor stuff.

His reputation for craziness has been exagerated beyond reality and out of proportion. Is he a bit "odd"...sure. But the fact that nobody can bring up anything recently bad about Ron is proof of its own.

Ron's basketball related "bad" stuff goes way back to the Brawl at the Palace. And if somebody threw a beer in my face, I'd go give him a beatdown too. Was it so bad that he went into the stands to beat the shit out of a jack-ass fan that threw a beer at him?
I agree

Allanon
10-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Ariza was a great fit and it will suck not having him.

But, Ron Artest is an elite talent, Ariza, I think is a very good role player.

lefty
10-01-2009, 03:48 PM

Ariza is a bit overrated IMO

His "steal" vs Denver had more to do with Carter inbounding the ball.....
And they left him wiiiiiiiiiide open for 3's.

Artest is so much better on both ends of the court; Lakers will be awesome

djohn2oo8
10-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Lakers would not have won without Ariza, and everybody knows it....His athleticism and defense made the difference

lefty
10-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Lakers would not have won without Ariza, and everybody knows it....His athleticism and defense made the difference
If it makes you feel better about his overpaying fat contract, then more power to you :tu

adidas11
10-01-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm liking the Artest pick up more and more each day.

Minus is odd behaviour in Chicago and Indiana, he has pretty much been a solid citizen/player in Sacramento and Houston. He fell in line with the McGrady/Ming set up and did what he was told (very well, I might add), and he will fall in line with the Kobe/Gasol setup.

Even better, Artest is a superior defender than Ariza. More importantly, Artest can defend stronger small forwards in the post, such as Carmelo Anthony (who gave the Lakers fits in the WCF this year).

The Lakers biggest potential weakness was defending the 3 spot. (think Paul Pierce, Carmelo Anthony, etc.) Artest negates that right from the start.

DPG21920
10-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Artest is not a superior defender to Ariza, at least not totally. He is superior with regards to guarding bigger players, but not smaller, quicker players.

Also, Sacto could not wait to get rid of him and Houston let him walk. But I agree, he will fit well in LA and is a definite talent upgrade. He adds another last second option if things go wrong and is a good injury hedge talent wise. If someone gets hurt, Artest can easily slide into a larger role. Ariza could not do that.

Indazone
10-01-2009, 04:21 PM

Minus is odd behaviour in Chicago and Indiana, he has pretty much been a solid citizen/player in Sacramento and Houston. He fell in line with the McGrady/Ming set up and did what he was told (very well, I might add), and he will fall in line with the Kobe/Gasol setup.

Even better, Artest is a superior defender than Ariza. More importantly, Artest can defend stronger small forwards in the post, such as Carmelo Anthony (who gave the Lakers fits in the WCF this year).

The Lakers biggest potential weakness was defending the 3 spot. (think Paul Pierce, Carmelo Anthony, etc.) Artest negates that right from the start.

If falling in line meaning he took shots away from the rest of the team including Yao, then yah he'll be a great teammate in LA.

Culburn369
10-01-2009, 06:20 PM
I thought they'd hired Chuck Person.

ehz33satx
10-01-2009, 09:14 PM

And where did that talent take his former teams Indiana, Sacramento, and just last year, in Houston? Nowhere fast.

cobbler
10-01-2009, 11:01 PM

...or Gasol....or Odom... or Fish... etc etc

Allanon
10-02-2009, 12:07 AM
And where did that talent take his former teams Indiana, Sacramento, and just last year, in Houston? Nowhere fast.

Chicago, Indiana, Sacramento and Houston all lacked the same thing. No number 1 player. Ron's too crazy to be a #1 guy but put him as a positional defender and low post player and you've got an elite talent.

If he had the mental makeup of an MJ, LeBron, Kobe or Tim Duncan, I have no doubt he'd be a Superstar in this league...but unfortunately, he doesn't.

Ron's talent level is on par with the best players in the game but his mental capacity drags him down to the 2nd/3rd tier. He needs a Kobe, Shaq, LeBron, Wade, Duncan, <insert superstar> type player to bring the best out of him.

djohn2oo8
10-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Ron is unpredictable, so expect alot of wild shots

KSeal
10-02-2009, 12:12 AM
Trevor was probably my favorite Laker last year, sucks he isn't on the team anymore but at the same time I'm happy the Lakers were able to get a player of Ron's talent to take his place. Crazy Ron stepping in is a million times better then Walton and Morrison handling the SF duties, and I was one that thought the Lakers were only going to keep one of Trevor and Lamar so to have Lamar and Ron is awesome even if Ron is a step down from Ariza. And I think the jury is still very much out on whether that's true or not.

DPG21920
10-02-2009, 12:17 AM
There is no jury, talent wise Ron is a step up. The only thing the Lakers lose for sure with the Ariza for Artest swap is defense of perimeter players (smaller/quicker). The only thing that is in question is "fit". Ariza was a perfect fit for the role. Will Ron fill the same role or will it throw chemistry off? I would bet it turns out well.

T2150
10-02-2009, 02:25 PM
I thought they'd hired Chuck Person.

They did.

Culburn369
10-02-2009, 02:49 PM
They did.

I know, I finally read the entire article:(

cobbler
10-02-2009, 02:50 PM

For Houston, to the 7th game against the eventual champs and the 2nd round for the first time in ages.

Culburn369
10-02-2009, 02:56 PM
For Houston, to the 7th game against the eventual champs and the 2nd round for the first time in ages.

& thank Christ, no further.

eh?

Double-Up
10-02-2009, 03:28 PM

Agreed, Artest can't guard quick players anymore but he can defend the SF spot pretty well.

DaDakota
10-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Ron will sure as crap screw up that team.

DD

Culburn369
10-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Ron will sure as crap screw up that team.

DD

He did pretty good with you guys....until he fell in love with Bryant.:D

Indazone
10-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Ron is a blackhole on offense.

Ball go into Ron Ron and Ball disappears forever.

Culburn369
10-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Ron is a blackhole on offense.

Ball go into Ron Ron and Ball disappears forever.

You guys said nary a word about it until he signed in Los Angeles. You were too busy advancing in the playoffs & clawing over each other to exclaim (excitedly): "We're a much better team without McGrady!"