PDA

View Full Version : Stan Van Gundy Doesn't Do Honeymoons

duncan228
10-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Stan Van Gundy Doesn't Do Honeymoons (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-stanvangundydoesntdo&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

From the "slap your head and fly into the sky" files, here's some perfectly predictable news out of Orlando yesterday. According to FanHouse (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/09/30/van-gundy-takes-vince-carter-to-task-defensively/), Stan Van Gundy is angry that Vince Carter doesn't play defense:

Vince Carter—the eight-time All-Star—caught Van Gundy's wrath Wednesday, just the second day of training camp. Often treated with kid gloves during his time in New Jersey, Carter became the example of what not to do late in the morning practice.

"He (Carter) did not play well defensively today. He didn't do a good job out there. He's capable of doing a lot better, and that's what I want to see," Van Gundy said. "As a matter of fact, we'll talk to him about that and show him some (film) clips tomorrow."

Okay, loathers of Vince, dust off those placards and light up the effigies: Carter isn't perfect, and he's getting called out for it. Serves him right, as usual. And way to go, FanHouse reporter, for giving Lawrence Frank hell for not giving Carter hell in New Jersey. Because that's what you do with stars on lottery-bound teams who contribute in many other ways—give them hell. I'm actually surprised we don't get a critique of VC's All-Star resume.

Then again, what exactly is Van Gundy trying to prove? Complacency is terrible and will be the death of all honesty and integrity in basketball. But what's that saying about dogs and tricks? Vince Carter is an adequate defener, and a younger, more spry version of him could be stifling. He doesn't always give it his all at that end, but his greatest value is as a scorer and playmaker.

Could he play better defense? Yes, anyone could. But is this really the right foot for SVG to get off on with his prized off-season acquisition? Treating a player set in his ways like a rookie and acting like you didn't know what you were getting is just a little naive. Maybe Van Gundy could push Vince later, or do so situationally. Like this, though, right off the bat, almost ultimatum-like … I kind of see what Shaq was talking about.

Seriously, this is the opposite of effective people management. Dwight Howard is going to have to make 15 bad jokes to clear the air after this one.

Drachen
10-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Stan Van Gundy Doesn't Do Honeymoons (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-stanvangundydoesntdo&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

From the "slap your head and fly into the sky" files, here's some perfectly predictable news out of Orlando yesterday. According to FanHouse (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/09/30/van-gundy-takes-vince-carter-to-task-defensively/), Stan Van Gundy is angry that Vince Carter doesn't play defense:

Vince Carter—the eight-time All-Star—caught Van Gundy's wrath Wednesday, just the second day of training camp. Often treated with kid gloves during his time in New Jersey, Carter became the example of what not to do late in the morning practice.

"He (Carter) did not play well defensively today. He didn't do a good job out there. He's capable of doing a lot better, and that's what I want to see," Van Gundy said. "As a matter of fact, we'll talk to him about that and show him some (film) clips tomorrow."

Okay, loathers of Vince, dust off those placards and light up the effigies: Carter isn't perfect, and he's getting called out for it. Serves him right, as usual. And way to go, FanHouse reporter, for giving Lawrence Frank hell for not giving Carter hell in New Jersey. Because that's what you do with stars on lottery-bound teams who contribute in many other ways—give them hell. I'm actually surprised we don't get a critique of VC's All-Star resume.

Then again, what exactly is Van Gundy trying to prove? Complacency is terrible and will be the death of all honesty and integrity in basketball. But what's that saying about dogs and tricks? Vince Carter is an adequate defener, and a younger, more spry version of him could be stifling. He doesn't always give it his all at that end, but his greatest value is as a scorer and playmaker.

Could he play better defense? Yes, anyone could. But is this really the right foot for SVG to get off on with his prized off-season acquisition? Treating a player set in his ways like a rookie and acting like you didn't know what you were getting is just a little naive. Maybe Van Gundy could push Vince later, or do so situationally. Like this, though, right off the bat, almost ultimatum-like … I kind of see what Shaq was talking about.

Seriously, this is the opposite of effective people management. Dwight Howard is going to have to make 15 bad jokes to clear the air after this one.

Is the writer really saying that SVG shouldn't coach Vince because he is old and isn't likely to do what he wants him to? I am glad that Pop's rep precedes him to the point that people coming know what will be expected of them. Good on you SVG!

Summers
10-01-2009, 06:03 PM
I think the writer is saying SVG could have handled it better/more professionally/more respectfully/more effectively...

Dwight Howard is going to have to make 15 bad jokes to clear the air after this one.

:lol

Basketballgirl25
10-01-2009, 07:13 PM
I heard Stab might bench Vince Carter. lol If he does that he is more stupid then I find Mark Cuban, and I find him pretty stupid

Drachen
10-02-2009, 08:55 AM
I heard Stab might bench Vince Carter. lol If he does that he is more stupid then I find Mark Cuban, and I find him pretty stupid

I find this to be refreshing. He should get up on Vince if he is not playing up to his potential. I say this with the caveat that he better be treating Dwight Howard the same way.