PDA

View Full Version : Young Grizzlies Eager To Learn From Iverson

duncan228
10-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Young Grizzlies eager to learn from Iverson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txlearningfromai&prov=st&type=lgns)
By Teresa M. Walker

Rudy Gay listened as Grizzlies’ teammate O.J. Mayo talked of the team’s need to meld at practice and couldn’t stop himself from piping in, “Practice?”

Oh yes, the player who’s been with the Memphis Grizzlies the longest has seen video of Allen Iverson’s infamous 2002 rant during a feud with Larry Brown about missing practice and heard that word maybe 20 times in the clip. Still, Gay and the other Grizzlies are eager to learn from and play with the 10-time All-Star and former league MVP. They’re also hoping he helps them win more games.

“Actually getting a chance to sit down and talk to him really shows his growth,” Gay said of Iverson. “Of course, that was a while ago, and Allen Iverson is a talented player. To see his growth from then to now and how much he’s turned into a leader and how much he wants to win. … It’s definitely someplace he wants to influence and bring that winning to Memphis.”

The player nicknamed the Answer faces his biggest questions going into his 14th NBA season. Can Iverson, the scoring machine used to leading on the court during games but not in practice, provide the leadership needed to turn around a franchise that hasn’t reached the playoffs since 2006?

Iverson sounds as if he’s embracing that role.

“That’s the fun part about being a veteran is that you get a chance to lead guys to places they’ve never been before and give them something they’ve never had in the league,” Iverson said.

Leadership? From Iverson? The man happiest when his teammates feed him the ball to take all the shots? Iverson said he learned how to be more vocal from Eric Snow and Aaron McKie, and he wants the Grizzlies to follow his lead, watching and learning what he called the right way of doing things to see how it translates into wins.

He also understands how reaching the NBA can satisfy so many young players. They start cashing paychecks, find themselves surrounded by people telling them how great they are and get comfortable. Iverson, who hopes to be named a team captain, wants to stoke their hunger to play games that really matter in the postseason.

“I’m not saying that it matters a lot, but it does. I want to be something people think I can’t be,” Iverson said.

No promises have been made or lineups drawn up yet.

Coach Lionel Hollins first wants to see in the preseason how Iverson and Zach Randolph, an offseason trade pickup, combine with draft picks like Gay, Mike Conley and O.J. Mayo. Gay and Mayo, so used to winning until they arrived in Memphis, believe they can learn plenty from Iverson.

“He’s reached levels most of the guys on our team dream of reaching. … Just as far as getting to the finals, he’s been there before. I think seeing him every day working in practice and in games, how focused he gets I think it’s definitely a plus to a young team like us,” Mayo said.

The 6-foot-8 Gay, now 240 after adding 10 pounds of muscle this offseason, has been most impressed with watching the 6-foot, 165-pound Iverson average 27.1 points per game through his career.

“You see how small he is. If I went through as much as he did with what he has there, obviously there’s something in him I want to know about,” Gay said. “Just being around him and learning things from him can really help my game I believe, and O.J. as well.”

Hollins has focused on improving the Grizzlies stamina, and that is why Conley is eager to study Iverson, who has averaged 41.4 minutes per game, even though the veteran could cost him minutes or starts this season.

“To get that mentality, I think that’ll rub off on a lot of us,” Conley said.

Iverson has taken teams to the playoffs in nine of his 13 seasons. Since reaching the NBA finals in 2001, Iverson’s teams have reached the postseason five times but were eliminated in the first round on four of those trips. He is coming off a year in which Denver traded him to Detroit, where he averaged a career worst 17.5 points for a Pistons team that didn’t reach the playoffs.

That output would rank him third behind Gay and Mayo in Memphis. Fans eager to think playoffs rather than lottery draft position already have embraced Iverson hoping he can be the difference for a franchise that holds the record for postseason futility, losing its first 12 playoff games.

Hollins knows that most of his young Grizzlies idolize Iverson, and he doesn’t want them standing around and watching.

“I’ve already told AI and Zach that we can’t have our young guys deferring to them because if they’re the two mainstays of the squad, then we’re going to be like we were last year,” Hollins said of the team that finished 24-58. “If those guys continue their improvement and development and stay aggressive in their game, then we’re going to be much better.”

AI might even lead the way.

Culburn369
10-01-2009, 11:22 PM
tee, hee.

23LeBronJames23
10-01-2009, 11:37 PM
We Talking Bout Practice?

Lars
10-01-2009, 11:41 PM
God

angelbelow
10-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Cool

djohn2oo8
10-02-2009, 01:02 AM
And boom goes the dynamite....Wave goodbye to their careers

duncan228
10-02-2009, 04:26 PM
When Iverson Speaks, Someone's Going to Get Angry (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-wheniversonspeakssom&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

So you think writing or reading about Allen Iverson has gotten exhausting. Imagine being the man himself. You're always some combination of rightfully indignant and totally wrong, up against similarly mish-mashed opposition, and your honesty is inseparable from what most people perceive as a chip on your shoulder.

Has there ever been an Iverson story that doesn't end with everyone pissed off, ugly and defensive? Even Kobe can shut up detractors by finding a way to roll with the punches or do an end-around on the criticism (excuse the mixed metaphor). Iverson just can't help but get all riled up and then smash head-on into some equally forceful gathering forces. All that Two Towers business your relatives warned you about.

That said, now Iverson's gone and opened up to Scoop Jackson (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/091001&sportCat=nba) about his miserable time in Detroit. A lot of it's just Iverson speaking his peace and refusing to mince words, which is fine, even if it really gets under some people's skin. But then he goes and rips the Pistons without a pause:

"Once they told me to come off the bench after they told me they would never disrespect me like that, that they would never do that … and then they told me, 'They lying down on you, Chuck.' ["Bubba Chuck" is Iverson's nickname, "Chuck" for short.] I swear to God. I put this on everybody that I love in my life.

I didn't want to believe it. I didn't want to believe that. But I knew something wasn't right. I wouldn't want to think that those guys would disrespect the game like that. But in actuality, when they did that to me, when they lied to me, that put the thought of me coming off the bench in everybody's mind."

Bombshell dropped, flung, whatever. The Pistons, which at various times in here seems to mean the front office, coaches and players, told Iverson he was a starter forever. Then they decided Rip needed to start instead and stopped giving it their all when AI's in the game, presumably to force the issue.

That's a pretty raw accusation, especially for a team known for its professionalism. So for good measure, AI swears on everybody he loves. Everyone's feelings are hurt (or should be), and we probably haven't heard the last of this. The Pistons debacle was a low point in AI's on-court career, but the aftermath is just more of the usual knotty, emotive same from him.

I don't want to be stuck sayng that Iverson drags others down; he's just as much been dragged down, which puts him in an awkward position. But you just wish, for everyone involved, that AI and the air around him could be just a little less combustible.

The Scoop Jackson piece is in the Pistons Forum.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135913

Morg1411
10-02-2009, 09:25 PM
lol Iverson

redzero
10-02-2009, 09:29 PM
He should teach them some ball movement.

Chieflion
10-02-2009, 11:06 PM
This is why practice helps your team to improve.

mogrovejo
10-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Curry botched the entire situation in Detroit. I don't blame Iverson a bit for that. It was never going to work because it's difficult to make things work with Iverson, but Curry was an epic fail as a head-coach.

Duncan288, thanks for selecting and posting these articles. Greatly appreciated.