PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: New Players Give Spurs Depth Across The Board

duncan228
10-01-2009, 11:50 PM
New players give Spurs depth across the board (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/New_players_give_Spurs_depth_across_the_board.html )
Mike Monroe

Fourteen of the 18 players in Spurs training camp have guaranteed contracts, but there is competition afoot for more than the one remaining roster spot.

“There's definitely a lot of depth out there,” said fourth-year Spur Matt Bonner, the starting center in 67 regular-season games last season, plus all four playoff games. “Pretty much every guy out there is capable of playing in the NBA. One through 18, everyone is a competitor.”

Bonner is part of a front line that got bigger and more athletic over the summer with the additions of Antonio McDyess, Theo Ratliff and rookie DeJuan Blair.

“We just have a lot of options and a lot of depth,” he said. “When it comes to bigs, we have a lot of guys capable of playing in this league, and it creates a lot of competition in practice.”

Bonner said his own role doesn't figure to change much to accommodate McDyess and Ratliff, both established interior players.

“I was never really in the post to begin with,” he said. “I'm a big guy, but I play on the perimeter, especially on offense. For me to get open I have to figure out where my strength is.”

Roger Mason Jr., who started 71 games last season for the Spurs, has seen the same sort of competition on the perimeter, where Richard Jefferson was the team's key offseason acquisition.

“We've got more talent, so it's exciting,” he said. “I know every day I come here I can get better and we can all improve, within each other. The competition is a good thing, and it's there.”

Easing up: The Spurs are scheduled for their fourth day of two-a-day practice sessions today, but then will get a respite from the physical grind. They are tentatively scheduled for an off day Saturday, and Sunday will be devoted to a game-type scrimmage at the AT&T Center, open to the public.

The Sunday game will be played with four 12-minute quarters, just like an NBA game, with referees.

No practice is set for Monday, when the team's annual golf outing, a fundraiser for the Spurs Foundation, is scheduled for Canyon Springs Golf Club.

The first preseason game, against the Houston Rockets, is scheduled for Tuesday, which means the two-a-day grind most likely is behind the players.

Euro-popular: The NBA released a list of the most popular jerseys sold at official NBA outlets in Europe. The No. 9 jersey of French native Tony Parker was the No. 6 seller in Europe. The top five sellers were Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, Celtics forward Kevin Garnett, Lakers center Pau Gasol, Cavaliers forward LeBron James and Heat guard Dwyane Wade.

duncan228
10-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Top 15 Most Popular NBA Jerseys in Europe:

1. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers
2. Kevin Garnett, Boston Celtics
3. Pau Gasol, Los Angeles Lakers
4. LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers
5. Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat
6. Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs
7. Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic
8. Andrea Bargnani, Toronto Raptors
9. Jose Calderon, Toronto Raptors
10. Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics
11. Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks
12. Rudy Fernandez, Portland Trailblazers
13. Marco Belinelli, Golden State Warriors
14. Joakim Noah, Chicago Bulls
15. Gilbert Arenas, Washington Wizards

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/10/01/europe.jersey/

Cant_Be_Faded
10-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Hahahahaha

"Marcuson!!! You were right!.....you were right....people are alike."

polandprzem
10-02-2009, 12:11 AM
It's tough to find an NBA jesrsey and Tim's one? supertough!